[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

IQ will enter restricted FA
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/23/2023  6:25 PM
Hope it doesn't bit us in the ass.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

10/23/2023  6:37 PM
It will be great if he raises his value.
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

10/23/2023  6:38 PM
twolves always setting the bar high with their crazy prices.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/23/2023  6:41 PM
i wonder what kind of offer RJ would have received if we had allowed him to go that direction.

Kinda disappointed. IQ has everything to be a lethal NBA player.

Alpha1971
Member: #9006

10/23/2023  6:54 PM
He needs a bigger role then what the roster distribution will afford him. He needs to get 30 mins a night minimum. Will he get that with DDV and Grimes ? Oh well hope he emerges as a stellar player.
Clean
Member: #743
10/23/2023  6:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/23/2023  7:01 PM
Cool with me. I am good with not paying the reported 25mil a year he wanted due to his piss poor playoffs. We need to avoid another Randle situation. So if he plays well this year and also does well in the playoffs then I don't mind paying him what he wants. If he plays bad in the playoffs again then his number comes down. Regular season stats no longer impress me. Randle showed me that they are useless come playoff time.
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
10/23/2023  7:22 PM
I like IQ a lot and want him here long term but I'm not gonna severely overpay. Let him test the market and see how other teams value him. Remember we can match if we want to.

Plus I want to see IQ play better in the playoffs.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/23/2023  7:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/23/2023  7:24 PM
It’s fine either way. If he has a crazy breakout year and earns that 100M contract, awesome. If he stagnates as an elite 6th man then Knicks can still offer him a deal like they likely did now that he’s turning down. He is betting on himself. I always appreciate Marc berman throwing out some quick hits. He said he’s known Quickleys agent a long time and he views him as a future allstar. That’s great. I want to see him show it and Knicks should be happy to give him the big contract. I know berman throws a lot of stuff out there, but he was the most connected Knicks writer, and no question the rumor mill around the Knicks took such a big hit since he’s been gone.
foosballnick
Member: #3148

10/23/2023  7:22 PM
Clean wrote:Cool with me. I am good with not paying the reported 25mil a year he wanted due to his piss poor playoffs. We need to avoid another Randle situation. So if he plays well this year and also does well in the playoffs then I don't mind paying him what he wants. If he plays bad in the playoffs again then his number comes down. Regular season stats no longer impress me. Randle showed me that they are useless come playoff time.

I'm no Randle apologist but his contract seems pretty cost effective for his production. While he sucked a couple years back against Atlanta, he basically played last season's playoffs on one foot.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/23/2023  7:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/23/2023  7:27 PM
foosballnick wrote:
Clean wrote:Cool with me. I am good with not paying the reported 25mil a year he wanted due to his piss poor playoffs. We need to avoid another Randle situation. So if he plays well this year and also does well in the playoffs then I don't mind paying him what he wants. If he plays bad in the playoffs again then his number comes down. Regular season stats no longer impress me. Randle showed me that they are useless come playoff time.

I'm no Randle apologist but his contract seems pretty cost effective for his production. While he sucked a couple years back against Atlanta, he basically played last season's playoffs on one foot.

Yeah I don’t get it. Randle is great value at his contract. Rarely misses games and gets us far in the regular season. I get the playoff struggles, but he’s still underpaid. Randle played in the playoffs through an ankle injury that required offseason surgery. Hard to criticize this time.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

10/23/2023  7:54 PM
Knixkik wrote:
foosballnick wrote:

Yeah I don’t get it. Randle is great value at his contract. Rarely misses games and gets us far in the regular season. I get the playoff struggles, but he’s still underpaid. Randle played in the playoffs through an ankle injury that required offseason surgery. Hard to criticize this time.

25 points and 10 rebounds a game - you can look it up.

franco12
Member: #599
USA
10/23/2023  8:13 PM
I don't understand anyone thinking he will get less money than he would have gotten now. $25m would be cheap.

There is always someone there to over pay

quickly is a strong defender. He has an amazing handle. He can get anywhere he wants on the court with the dribble. He plays at a different speed, nitendo speed.

His shot isn't broken like RJ. He can pass the ball.

So are we going to end up like Dallas letting Brunson go?

The only way this makes sense to me is if we are planning to trade him and having him unsigned gives us some kind of advantage.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/23/2023  8:27 PM
franco12 wrote:I don't understand anyone thinking he will get less money than he would have gotten now. $25m would be cheap.

There is always someone there to over pay

quickly is a strong defender. He has an amazing handle. He can get anywhere he wants on the court with the dribble. He plays at a different speed, nitendo speed.

His shot isn't broken like RJ. He can pass the ball.

So are we going to end up like Dallas letting Brunson go?

The only way this makes sense to me is if we are planning to trade him and having him unsigned gives us some kind of advantage.

I think we can all agree IQ is a key component of this team. For starters, it’s possible he wasn’t ready to sign, yet. It does help with trade flexibility if he isn’t extended. They do maintain an absolutes right of first refusal unless he accepts the QO for one last year. They do maintain the right to pay him more with higher extensions than any other team. For him, I would hope he gets paid NYK dollars, but I don’t think it is a mistake to let it ride into RFA. If he wants to be here, the Knicks have every ability to keep him.

This is the Randle.
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

10/23/2023  8:42 PM
A quick look at hoops hype shows a lot of teams will have space next summer. I'm sure the front office and his agent have already done extensive analysis of which teams might offer him how much. There's always the risk of injury, but I think IQ has already shown enough to get that next contract regardless of what happens.

The big thing is it means Knicks will be able to trade IQ this year if a better player or fit becomes available. We can't ignore the DDV signing since it's basically insurance for if IQ leaves. When all is said and done, Knicks will have pole position to resign IQ next offseason and even two years down the line like Robinson.

One thing for sure, it will be tough for IQ to become an All Star if he comes off the bench.

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

10/23/2023  8:48 PM
One more thing, because of the Knicks clean cap where no one is getting max money and most contracts are good value, it's extremely unlikely that the Knicks don't match whatever offer IQ gets. That gives NY a lot of leverage if it comes down to a future sign and trade request.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/23/2023  8:55 PM
I think one of the challenges in signing Quickley is the type of annual salary he could demand.
The Vassell signing of 5 years/$146m set the bar for this class for non-max deals. If that's his ask, he'd be the top earner/year on the Knicks, ahead of Brunson, RJ, and Randle.

You can't blame Quickley for wanting to become an RFA. Unlike Brunson/RJ/Randle, who claimed they wanted to be here (in particular All-NBA Randle) and perhaps took less than what they could have asked for with quick negotiations, Quickley's main tie to the Knicks (his bff Obi) is gone and he has some serious obstacles to playing time here.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
Clean
Member: #743
10/23/2023  9:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/23/2023  9:16 PM
Knixkik wrote:
foosballnick wrote:

I don't want to derail this thread but let me explain my thought process. He is a great value depending on what you value. If you just want good regular season stats and someone who won't be constantly injured then he is perfect for you.

If you want someone who will not be easy to throw off their game. Someone who is efficent. Someone who knows how to play within the flow of an offense. Someone who knows what style of play that is in his best interest to play. Someone who does not constantly get lost on defense. Someone who has nothing else to pivot to when team starts gameplanning for him in important games then that contract no longer seems like a great value.

People put too much stock in regular season where teams don't gameplan for you. When I was not sold on Quick as a PG his main issue was breakingdown the defense and poor shooting%. He fixed it in the regular season last year. Once people gameplanned for him in the playoffs he was having those same issues.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/23/2023  9:25 PM
technomaster wrote:I think one of the challenges in signing Quickley is the type of annual salary he could demand.
The Vassell signing of 5 years/$146m set the bar for this class for non-max deals. If that's his ask, he'd be the top earner/year on the Knicks, ahead of Brunson, RJ, and Randle.

You can't blame Quickley for wanting to become an RFA. Unlike Brunson/RJ/Randle, who claimed they wanted to be here (in particular All-NBA Randle) and perhaps took less than what they could have asked for with quick negotiations, Quickley's main tie to the Knicks (his bff Obi) is gone and he has some serious obstacles to playing time here.

Vassell sets the upside. I didn’t really understand that signing except to say that the Spurs may be worried he actually out performs that while health with Wembs creating open looks. His current stats don’t really support that valuation.

Then take the low side comp of someone like Coke Anthony. 3 years 39mm.

That’s a huge spread. But it’s also the difference between starter minutes for Vassell and bench minutes for Anthony. IQ was in the running for 6MOY though. So, that low side comp isn’t really fair.

Now Hart got paid, but I think he got a bump for the 13m option he took to allow us to sign DDV. Couple extra thrown on the 16 I would have started him at.

I have him at 5 years 105 or so. Maybe a little more if he excels this year.

This is the Randle.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/24/2023  6:17 AM
Bobby Marks pegged him at 4 years 83mil.
We don’t know what was offered or countered. Quick has yet to display his ceilimg and the young man believes in himself. Knicks might be sniffing a trade and need to keep cap available.
Team has a history with this FO of being fair.
Teams let guys walk for many reasons. If it comes to that, then we judge.
foosballnick
Member: #3148

10/24/2023  6:48 AM
Clean wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
foosballnick wrote:

I don't want to derail this thread but let me explain my thought process. He is a great value depending on what you value. If you just want good regular season stats and someone who won't be constantly injured then he is perfect for you.

If you want someone who will not be easy to throw off their game. Someone who is efficent. Someone who knows how to play within the flow of an offense. Someone who knows what style of play that is in his best interest to play. Someone who does not constantly get lost on defense. Someone who has nothing else to pivot to when team starts gameplanning for him in important games then that contract no longer seems like a great value.

People put too much stock in regular season where teams don't gameplan for you. When I was not sold on Quick as a PG his main issue was breakingdown the defense and poor shooting%. He fixed it in the regular season last year. Once people gameplanned for him in the playoffs he was having those same issues.

Not sure what you expect to get in the $28M range ranked in the mid/high 40's in salary. Randle is paid like a Tier 2 guy. I'm also cautious about the overall weight of playoff stats when limited sample size and significant injuries requiring surgery come into play.

IQ will enter restricted FA

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy