[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

various insider articles
Author Thread
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
11/23/2004  3:34 AM
sorry if already posted, i've been out for a while cause a lot of work, but will now be able to regulary post again and try to help offsetting brigg's pessimism

Are teams cooling on international teens?

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Darko Milicic sits at the end of the bench in Detroit twiddling his thumbs, waiting for head coach Larry Brown to call his name. He may hear it tonight – if the Pistons are up by 20 points with two minutes to go in the game.

Otherwise, he's out of luck. He's also not alone.

The international revolution in the NBA draft began two summers ago, when a record eight foreign players were taken in the first round. This summer, the numbers slipped a little bit, but another six international players went in the first round.

What do those fourteen players all have in common? Lots of "DNP – coach's decisions." Of the international players taken in the 2003 draft, only three – Boris Diaw, Zoran Planinic and Carlos Delfino– are getting regular minutes. This year's class? Only Beno Udrih, who was the 28th player selected in the draft, is playing meaningful minutes.

That's 4-for-14, not what you'd call an impressive track record.

NBA GMs who were predicting an international explosion just two years ago are backing off now. A backlash appears to be brewing despite the claim by several top international scouts that this year's draft crop is the deepest they've ever seen.

Many GMs no longer want to hear it.

Says one top international scout: "They're still sending me overseas, but the interest isn't really there. I'm collecting reports, getting them information, but the feedback has dwindled to nothing. I think my bosses have lost interest until someone finds the next Nowitzki or Gasol."

Great fundamentals, killer outside shots and long legs haven't translated into big numbers for the last two crops of international players. No one knows this more than Milicic, who wears the burden of being drafted ahead of Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade like a millstone around his neck.

The Darko Side
Pistons coach Larry Brown still cannot take his eyes off Darko. In training camp this fall, Darko is still the focal point of much of Brown's attention in practice.

"I think he's much further along than he was last year, but I still don't know that he's going to break into this lineup," Brown said.

"I'm happy with his improvement. I think he's only going to get better because of his surroundings. He tries. He's in a situation now, though, where he's playing on a veteran team, and he's just 19 years old. He should be a sophomore in college this year."

Darko Milicic is doing what he can to reflect the Pistons' confidence in him.
The excuses are all reasonable. The Pistons are the champs – a veteran team that has little use for a 19-year-old unproven big man. They have one of, if not the deepest front lines in the league. Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess would start ahead of him, no matter what team he's on. Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman are more questionable, but each player has experience that Darko can't touch.

But the perception that Milicic is a bust lingers. The praise for him was so high among scouts, executives and Insider before the draft that folks struggle to understand why his talent has not elevated him above the log jams in Detroit. LeBron James, Anthony and Wade likely would have done so in Detroit.

"Its a great luxury to be sitting here as the World Champions and have a young, talented player like Darko waiting in the wings," Pistons president Joe Dumars told Insider. "We've always viewed Darko being a big part of our future and nothing has changed.

"We've said from Day 1 that we're never going to rush Darko out on the floor, because we were lucky enough to be a title contender and get the number two pick in the '03 draft. We feel it's the best of both worlds."

The Pistons can afford to be patient. They don't need him and think that the daily beatings he takes at the hands of Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace every day are enough for right now. Both Wallaces had high praise for Darko when Insider talked to them in October, predicting that he would be a star in the league someday, in part, because of the education he was getting on the practice floor each day.

"Darko comes to practice everyday and has to battle and learn from Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Antonio McDyess and Elden Campbell; we see that as a tremendous plus for Darko and the Pistons," Dumars said.

That may not be exactly what Darko wants to hear. But it's the reality in Detroit. A reality his agent, Marc Cornstein, said he's dealing with.

"As his agent, my concern is for Darko, not the Pistons, so of course I'm not happy that he doesn't play," Cornstein told Insider. "However, I also recognize that he's in a great situation for the long term. The improvement has been remarkable. If Darko can remain patient, he's going to come out of this situation as a better player. I think he understands that."

Unfortunately for needier teams that take kids like this in the lottery – patience is a luxury they just no longer have.

The Darko Backlash
Darko isn't the first 19 year old to see most of his game action passing out towels. The NBA has been drafting teenagers for years. While there are success stories here and there (like LeBron James or Amare Stoudemire), in most cases it has taken the teenagers several years to develop.

"People want to see their team's rookies come in and perform right away, but that's not the norm," Dumars said. "Usually you have to wait and be patient with a lot of the young guys coming into the league now."

Even the Bobcats' Primo Brezec (left with ball) took a while to warrant playing time.
Dumars then rattles off some the names of players who did nothing in their first few years in the league. High school kids like Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal. College players like Zach Randolph, Corey Maggette and Chauncey Billups.

We're still waiting on some young Americans like Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry and Jonathan Bender.

International teenagers are proving to be not so different from their American counterparts. Players like Dirk Nowitzki and most recently, Primoz Brezec, took several years before they took off.

Still, a number of GMs Insider spoke with are concerned. For years, the conventional wisdom of drafting international players was that what they lacked in athleticism or flash, they made up for in fundamentals and experience.

Many of the top international players have been playing pro ball since they were 16 years old. A number of them played for the top teams in Europe. Compared to the Americans coming out of high school or leaving college early, they were veterans.

Now, that's not the case. Players like Nowitzki, Vladimir Radmanovic, Hedo Turkoglu, Andrei Kirilenko, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Nenad Krstic and Pavel Podkolzine were drafted sight unseen. They were young and unproven. Their virtues and flaws were no different that what the American high school kids brought to the table.

"It's our own fault," one NBA GM said. "We keep taking kids younger and younger and expect more and more for them. We strip-mined college basketball, and now we're doing it internationally. The fact that these kids aren't ready shouldn't be a surprise. At their age, and with their lack of experience, they shouldn't be ready."

Three years after drafting a teenaged Kwame Brown No. 1 overall, the Wizards are still waiting for payback.
They haven't been for the most part, and that's caused numerous GMs to balk at making the plunge. Last year a record 38 international underclassmen declared for the draft and a shocking 30 of them pulled out of it when they found out that teams no longer were hungry for unproven international teenagers with no playing experience.

Players like Peja Samardziski, Martynas Andriuskevicius, Kosta Perovic, Damir Omerhodzic and Johan Petro would have had great shots at the lottery in previous years but could no longer get teams to guarantee them that status in the 2004 draft.

Teams have to have the appetite to draft kids who aren't ready right away. Many teams no longer do. Not at least for the moment anyway.

Of the 15 GMs Insider talked to researching the piece, only six of them said that all things being equal, they'd take a talented international player over a talented American one.

"If there was a clear difference, maybe," one GM said. "But people thought there was a clear difference between Darko and everyone else not named LeBron. I'd hate to be the guy who, in a rebuilding situation, passed on a Wade or a Carmelo for a project, no matter what the long-term upside might be. It's just easier to get a better handle on what the American kids can be. The system is more familiar and we have an easier time putting together a track record."

That seems to be the dominant theme as teams gear up for this year's draft. But like most draft trends, things eventually will change.

"These things go in cycles," one veteran NBA scout told Insider. "Our bosses are smart guys, but they like to play the trends. They look at what worked last year and tell us to go find one, too. Two years ago they wanted us to find the next Nowitzki. Then it was the next LeBron. Now it's the next Dwyane Wade. If an international player has a breakout year, they'll be interested in those guys again."

The Top of the Mountain
The dilemma with Darko hasn't scared everyone away from top international players. However, the teams that are still interested happen to be teams like the Pistons, Spurs, Nets, Mavs and Jazz – teams that have had success picking off talented players later in the draft.

That doesn't bode well for this year's international class, despite the fact that a number of NBA scouts claim that it is the most talented and deepest international draft class ever.

There are currently 14 prospects projected by scouts as possible first-round picks next year. Nemanja Aleksandrov (18), Martynas Andruiskevicius (18), Peja Samardzski (18), Oleksiy Pecherov (18), Uros Tripkovic (18), Sergio Rodriguez (18), Rudy Fernandez (19), Tiago Splitter (19), Kosta Perovic (19), Johan Petro (19), Andrea Bargnani (19) and Damir Omerhodzic (19) are all under 20 years old. Only Roko Ukic (20), Fran Vasquez (21) and Mile Ilic (20) break the barrier.

The nature of the draft is continuing to evolve. Ten years ago, the lottery was meant to restock bad teams with good players who could come in and immediately turn around fortunes. Now, it's only a matter of time before KinderCare jumps aboard as the official sponsor of the 2010 NBA Draft.

Ironically, it's been the teams that often reach for the less proven prospect that end up reaping the greatest rewards. LeBron, despite the hype, didn't have the track record of Carmelo. Dwight Howard didn't have the pedigree of Emeka Okafor.

If you can put your team in a position where you can be patient, the reward could be very, very high this year. This is the thing with the cyclical thinking in the draft. Most teams are followers, trying to duplicate what the innovators have achieved. By the time they are on the bandwagon, it can get awfully crowded.

It's the teams that aren't afraid to set the curve – the Pistons, Spurs and Mavs of the world – who keep consistently scoring draft night coups.

There's an old Zen proverb that states: "You will find no reasonable men on the tops of great mountains."

Reason begs for the familiar, safest route. Greatness demands that you move past the charted waters into open sea.

Which path do you want your team on?
AUTOADVERT
raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:34 AM
Insider Special: Coaches Responsibilities

Key to coaching lies in organization

By George Karl
ESPN Insider

As the NBA evolves into more of a player's league, the role of a coach has become increasingly precarious. In fact, a coach's job is more difficult today than ever, even as coaches have become more expendable to teams.

The difficulty of the job starts in training camp. There seems to be a softness in camp, causing a disruption in the way teams prepare for the season. Players have always disliked training camp and the physical preparation of getting ready for the season, but it was needed.

Coaches seem to have conceded that camp won't be difficult physically, but instead a time to manage and try to get the team mentally ready. Very seldom can a coach successfully prepare a team for a season that way.

As a VP and head coach, Gregg Popovich has an ideal situation in San Antonio.
Also, some NBA coaches just go through the motions and try to avoid injuries in the exhibition season, mimicking their NFL counterparts. Gone is the aggression that properly prepared teams for an 82-game grind. The result is some teams that aren't fully ready until 10-15 games into the regular season.

Also factoring into the difficulty of the job is the tremendous roster turnover in the NBA. When you combine the immense and constant changing of players from team to team with a soft preseason, it's easy to see why teams don't get better immediately at the beginning of a season. Change impedes progress because teams and players have to start to get acclimated to different situations.

Some coaches can overcome that faster than others, but there's no question that it takes more time when there's a change in roster or a philosophy change caused by a new coach. When that happens, a team must build a new atmosphere to improve every day.

Another threat to the authority of coaches is the power of the guaranteed contract and the sense of entitlement for players. The power players receive from that contract takes away from the coach's territory. It enables the player to counter the authority of the coach and to question his tactics.

A team can't function without an authority figure. But now the old theory that a team can only have one chief is starting to deteriorate. There are more and more organizations that want to have four or five chiefs. Some of those are players and some of them are general managers and/or player personnel directors.

Now the old theory that a team can only have one chief is starting to deteriorate. There are more organizations that want to have four or five chiefs.

The three best organizations in basketball are the San Antonio Spurs, the Detroit Pistons and the Indiana Pacers. It's amazing that organizations around the league don't learn from them. Those organizations are successful because they have cohesive teamwork and chemistry, on and off the court.

The perceived harmony of those organizations is what sets them apart. Don't get me wrong – those organizations probably have as much inner-turmoil, conflict and controversy as the others, but you don't hear about it. They work as a team and don't air their dirty laundry. There are too many organizations that don't develop that type of chemistry and, in the end, its the coach who suffers.

Ultimately, the coach is supposed to be held responsible for the X's and O's of the game. But now coaches are being held responsible for the failure of personnel decisions, contractual decisions and luxury-tax decisions. The public believes the coach is expected to manage all of that, when – in most cases – those aren't his responsibilities.

Because of that disconnect, I believe organizations are best run when they have a democracy that includes the coach. There should be a sharing of ideas between the coach and the general manager.

Personally, I like the organizations that give the coach the entire say over personnel and on-court moves, because they function the best. But those don't exist as much anymore. Short of that, there should at least be a process in which the coach, GM and ownership each have veto power over ideas.

If I've made coaching seem like a crazy, difficult and complicated job, that's because it is. But I'd coach again in a heartbeat. Truth be told, I'm waiting for a phone call that puts me back as a coach.

The high and the power of winning compensates for the misery that all coaches go through. When a coach gets it right and everything begins to work, it's a remarkable sensation. Believe me, there is no ride in sports as exhilarating as feeling the juice of being pulled towards a championship – that makes all the craziness worthwhile.

George Karl, an NBA analyst for ESPN and former NBA coach, is a regular contributor to Insider.

raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:35 AM
Insider Special: Coaches Job

'Communication' most important element

By Greg Anthony
ESPN Insider

There is a lot of discussion about coaching and the relationships that exist among players, coaches and management.

I hear all the time about the game and how it's a players' league and that coaches can't control the players and that there is no discipline.

I say that's a bunch of crap.

First, there always have been issues between players and coaches. At the end of the day, it comes down to the three C's: Credibility, Consistency, and Communication.

Credibility: I agree that at times management can undermine a coach's credibility. We see it all the time.
It occurs when management and coach have a different philosophy about how each wants to play and the personnel that they have to execute a particular style. These differences exist for every team: The difference is that management and coaches should never allow the dispute to be made public.

Keep that in-house, because once the differences become public, that starts the downward spiral. Once you're losing credibility, you can never recover.

The really good franchises never allow their players to break the lines of authority. If a player feels that his issues aren't being handled properly, then he should be able to talk to management.

But it has to be made crystal clear that it's the coach's philosophy that will be followed, or else chaos ensues.

Even if a coach is credible and consistent, he needs to be a great communicator.

Consistency: This is also a key to a franchise's success, from how it deals with practice, game strategy and personalities.
A coach does not have to be liked, but he has to be respected. If he can prove himself with his strategy – especially in critical junctures of a game -- then his players will trust him.

When they trust you, they commit to execution. Believe me, there are times when a player leaves the huddle scratching his head, not believing that a particular play or scheme will work. You can definitely place some blame on players for failure to execute. Buta coach has to give his team confidence that what he is asking of them will work.

I don't have a problem with players questioning a particular scenario because often a player has a better feel for what's going on out on the floor. Sometimes an opposing team has a feel for everything you're doing and – more importantly – an ability to take away your intended outcome.

Communication: This is the most important "C" because it connects everything. Coaches, players, and management all make mistakes. It's how you deal with those mistakes that determines the long-term success or failure of a coach.
Again, it's not about being a friend. Everyone has to be held accountable for his actions. But when you can get a player to understand that the best interest of the team has to coincide with what his best interest, then that bond between a player and coach can grow.

A coach has to communicate this to a player and a player must feel that his coach has his back, especially when defining roles for your player.

There are times when a player might be asked to do something that he feels is not in his best interest, but the coach feels it will give the team the best chance to be successful.

If the player cannot be convinced of the need to sacrifice, then everybody loses.

An example: It could be that this player is in the final year of a contract. Does he feel like his sacrifices will be appreciated by management? Is that coach going to go to bat for that player when it comes to negotiations? Does the coach have a good enough relationship or influence with management to help with off the court issues ie contracts.

Whether you like it or not, it's about winning and the relationships that these three entities have will inevitably affect victories and losses -- in other words, their jobs.

There is always going to be some give and take. And typically those who do it best are the ones who succeed.

Greg Anthony, an NBA analyst for ESPN and former player, is a regular contributor to Insider.

raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:35 AM
Insider Rumours....

Raptors reportedly asking too much

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Vince Carter
Raptors
Blazers
Grizzlies Nov. 22 - The Portland Oregonian reports the chances of the Blazers acquiring Carter are growing slim. A Blazers source told the paper he is doubtful the trade will go down, and a source with the Raptors said Toronto has upped its demands to the Blazers.
Meanwhile, the Chicago Tribune suggests the Memphis Grizzlies are in the hunt for Carter, too, possibly in exchange for Bonzi Wells and Mike Miller.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reported last week that Toronto and Portland were discussing a seven-player trade that would send Carter to Portland with Jalen Rose and two other unnamed players in exchange for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, center Vladimir Stepania and guard Derek Anderson.

The Toronto Star reported the talks focused mainly on making a Carter-for-Abdur-Rahim swap, something that cannot happen without the inclusion of a low-wage earner or two to make the salaries work. At $14.7 million annually, Abdur-Rahim makes about $2.2 million more than Carter.

Jason Kidd
Nets
Timberwolves
Mavericks
Nuggets Nov. 22 - The Chicago Tribune lists the Mavericks, Wolves and Nuggets as potential suitors for Kidd once he returns from the injured list and provided his knee proves sound. Dallas has long courted Kidd, and Minnesota could use some help for an aging Sam Cassell. The Nuggets could reunite Kidd with Kenyon Martin and employ more of the open-court game under which Martin thrived in New Jersey.

Eddy Curry
Bulls
Warriors?
Knicks?
Nov. 22 - The Warriors are the latest team to consider dealing for Curry, according to the Chicago Tribune, which suggests the Warriors would be willing to deal Mike Dunleavy and proposes a three-team trade that would send Dunleavy to the Clippers, Chris Wilcox to Chicago and Curry to Golden State.
Previously, the paper indicated the Knicks had strengthened their offer for Curry, reportedly dangling second-year forward Michael Sweetney. The former Georgetown star previously had been considered off limits by Knicks president Isiah Thomas. The Bulls balked at taking center Nazr Mohammed.

Marcus Haislip

Nets
Knicks
Pacers? Nov. 22 - Haislip, cut by the Bucks earlier this month, worked out for the Nets recently, and the team reportedly was impressed with the 6-foot-10 forward's athleticism, Insider's Chad Ford reports. Haislip has been mentioned as someone the Pacers could look at as a temporary replacement for suspended Jermaine O'Neal and injured Jonathan Bender. Haislip also reportedly showed up the Knicks' radar after Eddie Robinson failed his physical.
Haislip, the 13th overall pick in the 2002 draft out of Tennessee, averaged 10 minutes per game in 70 games over the last two seasons for Milwaukee.

Keon Clark

Knicks
Pacers? Nov. 22 - The Knicks reportedly offered Clark $1.3 million, the remainder of their mid-level exception, over the summer but never heard back from the veteran center, Insider's Chad Ford reports. Now Clark could be a possibility for the Pacers, who have $2.7 million left on their mid-level exception and have their full $1.6 million exception, should they want to replace their suspended players.

Troy Bell

Nets
Celtics
Nuggets
Hawks Nov. 22 - Since being cut by the Grizzlies in training camp, Bell has worked out for a number of teams, including the Nuggets and Nets, and has received interest from others, including the Celtics and Hawks, Insider's Chad Ford reports. The Pacers also could be interested in the wake of recent suspensions. Bell was the 16th pick of the 2003 draft by the Grizzlies, but he played in only six games last season as a rookie.

Glenn Robinson
Sixers
Hornets?
Nov. 22 - Talks between the Sixers and Hornets could be resurrected now that Robinson has reiterated his dissatisfaction with remaining in Philadelphia as a reserve, Insider's Chad Ford reports. He also has indicated he won't take less than the full $12 million he is owed in a buyout. "I think being a 20-point scorer for 11 years, I think that's good enough," said Robinson, a two-time All-Star."If somebody's interested, then so be it. I just wish somebody would make their mind up."

Gary Payton
Celtics
Sonics?
Warriors?
Nov. 22 - Payton, whom the Sonics traded before the 2002-03 season in part because of Seattle's unwillingness to sign him to the lucrative, long-term extension, told the Seattle Times he'd like to finish his playing career in Sonics colors.
"I wish I could have stayed in Seattle, and I wish I can go back and finish my career there," said Payton, who reported to the Celtics this fall reluctantly after the Lakers stunned him with the trade. "It could happen and it couldn't. But I think it could."

The Oakland native, 36, also said he'd like to play for his hometown Warriors, but the Sonics would be his first choice. But there is a condition. When asked if he would serve as backup to Sonics' starting point guard Luke Ridnour, Payton told the Times he "can't see that happening."

Peja Stojakovic
Kings
Bulls?
Nov. 17 - Stojakovic has not backed off his stance that he'd like to be traded. But he's not pressing the issue, either.
In the Nov. 17 Sacramento Bee, Stojakovic tried to clarify that he has no stated interest in playing for the Bulls, either. Last August, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Stojakovic was supposedly interested in the Bulls because of Chicago's Serbian and Greek populations (he's Serbian, his wife is Greek) and his relationship with Bulls coach Scott Skiles. Stojakovic played for Skiles when each was in Europe in 1998.

But he refutes the Sun-Times claim that the Bulls are "one of the teams he'd love to play for". Said Stojakovic in the Bee: "I never said that, but they wrote that. They figure just by having lot of Serbian people living in Chicago, a lot of Greeks, what does that mean? I never picked any cities or teams. I don't have anything against Chicago, but I never said the names of the cities or names of the teams. I said change could make a difference, for me and for the (Kings)."

WHO INJURY THE SKINNY

Eddie Robinson

? Nov. 12 - Robinson's season is over before it began. According to the New York Post, the would-be Knick will have season-ending surgery to repair a fracture under his left big toe.
The 6-foot-9 swingman, who had been bought out of this Bulls' contract earlier this month, was set to join the Knicks on a one-year, $1.3 million contract. The contingency: Robinson had to pass the Knicks' physical.

Even though the Bulls deemed Robinson physically capable of playing, new Knicks' team doctor Lisa Callahan, determined Robinson's left foot might cause him pain 10-15 games into the season and might aggravate the injury. A second opinion determined Robinson's fracture is congenital, one reason he's had the pain since 2001.

Robinson will have surgery, miss this season and re-enter the free agent market. The Knicks, meanwhile, might be interested in Glenn Robinson, if the Sixers waive him, or former Bucks' center Marcus Haislip, the Post reports.

Karl Malone
Lakers
Retirement?
Lakers
Nov. 6 - Malone is still edging toward a full recovery from knee surgery, the Los Angeles Times reports. He should be ready to play within a few weeks. But will he play?
"Karl's still looking at his options, his agent, Dwight Manley, told the Times on Nov. 5. Malone is still undecided about returning for a 20th pro season or opting for retirement. If Malone opts to play, he's believed to be committed to the Lakers.

Last month, the Times reported that Malone might take a front office position with the Lakers if he opts to retire as a player.

Casey Jacobsen
Suns
Nuggets Nov. 5 - The Nuggets and Suns haven't had substantial talks concerning Casey Jacobsen, a league source told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. But there remains interest from both sides on making a deal happen.
To get the numbers to work, the Suns would have to send Jacobsen and second-year forward Zarko Carbarkapa to the Nuggets in return for Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

The Nuggets are in desperate need of a "2" after Voshon Lenard suffered a season ending injury in the regular-season opener. The Suns have had their eye on Tskitishvili since draft night. Their head coach, Mike D'Antoni, used to coach Skita in Italy and is a big fan. We can't report that a deal is close, but it sure makes a lot of sense for both teams.

raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:36 AM
Insider Special: Keys To Sonic's Success

Keys to the SuperSonics' success

By Brian James
ESPN Insider

The SuperSonics' 103-95 victory at Philadelphia on Tuesday was a joy to watch for the true basketball fan.

The Sonics tied a team single-game record for successful 3-point shots with 18 conversions in 39 attempts. Actually, it would have been 19-for-40, but one of the officials – who will remain nameless – signaled a Rashard Lewis 3-pointer in the first period as only a two-point goal.

Ray Allen sank 7 of 12 from 3-point land. Going into the game, Allen was shooting an incredible 60-percent from the arc (24-for-40). His aim "sunk" to 59.6-percent (31-for-52) after his showing against the Sixers. Vladimir Radmanovic added 6-for-11 aim from long distance.

But the outside shooting is only part of the reason the Sonics are off to a 7-1 start. How have they, so far, defied some experts who predicted a last-place finish in the Western Conference? There are a few reasons.

The Sonics have spread shooters all over the floor, stretching defenses beyond their limits. The coaching staff has used every screen-and-roll available and adjusted the spots on the floor or angles from which the screen is set in order to vary the play is run or how opponents can defend it.

Tuesday, the Sixers used mostly a "hard show-and-recover" type of defense: They were very aggressive on the dribbler coming off the screens, making it seem like a trap on the ball until the pass to a teammate was made.

The Sonics have worked hard on creating distance by the screener from his defender after the screener makes contact with the defender being screened, making it more difficult to "show and recover." For the screener to become a shooter, rolling to a spot on the floor, getting his feet set and square to the basket is so important.

Also important: The screener/shooter must have a quick release so he can fire before the defender retreats to him.

The Sixers were in "full rotation," so the nearest player would rotate up to the shooter. Seattle displayed enormous unselfishness and ability to find the open man with ball movement. If the screener wasn't open, he rotated the ball to the open man. Sometimes, the point guard found the open teammate after dribbling off the screen and probing the defense.

Starting point Luke Ridnour had eight assists in the first quarter on his way to a 10-assist, three-turnover night. Antonio Daniels, Ridnour's backup who often finishes games, also has played tremendous. He hit the game winner against Toronto on Nov. 12, then went 8 for 10 from the field against the Sixers. He also guarded Allan Iverson down the stretch, but most importantly he ran the pick-and-roll like Mark Price used to in his prime.

Seattle coach Nate McMillan has been able to put at least four players on the floor at a time who can make shots and score in a variety of ways. When you space the floor properly, it also gives ample driving room to finish at the basket or for the penetration and kick out to open shooters.

McMillan can deploy five scorers when the Sonics go small with Nick Collison at center at the end of games.

But the combination of Ridnour or Daniels at point, Allen at the two, Rashard Lewis at three and Radmanovic at the four spots has created havoc for defenses.

Allen's defender has to be getting worn down by all the screens being set for him by the improved front line of Reggie Evans – who came up with huge offensive rebounds (four of his 11) to give the Sonics extra possessions to salt the game away – Danny Fortson, Jerome James and young Collison.

The players have tremendous confidence in the system and are having fun playing the game. The front office has done a great job of getting young players who can play more than one spot to create mismatches all over in the half court.

This Sonic team is taking pride in getting stops, and when you match that up with dead-eye shooters, you can see the results.

This six-game road trip will be a true test of whether the Sonics can keep it going. But this style of play has the rest of the league envious and the fans in Seattle getting excited again about their team.

Changing tide in L.A.?
Wednesday at the Staples Center, the Clippers and cross-arena rival Lakers meet. The question many people are asking is, which team is better?
The Lakers have more veterans, playoff experience and arguably the best player in the game today in Kobe Bryant.

But the Lakers are going through some growing pains learning to play together with a multitude of changes in the roster and coaching staff. Entering play against the Clippers, the Lakers are 4-4 and struggling to maintain any kind of consistency.

Odom has to learn how to play in the Lakers' lowpost system.
Lamar Odom has yet to play the way he did last year in Miami. Odom has been spotting up on the perimeter, facing the basket and looking for jump shots or driving the ball to the basket. Once he starts feeling more comfortable in coach Rudy Tomjanovich's system, he'll start anticipating more post-up opportunities, especially on the right block.

There, Odom can back down smaller players or step out and face the basket against bigger and slower fours.

The "Horns Series", where both the four and five start at the corners of the free-throw line, will be good once the Lakers become accustomed to the nuances of each set, especially the high-low action of both big men.

Odom also has been in constant foul trouble and can't seem to find a comfortable rhythm.

New additions Caron Butler, Brian Grant, Chris Mihm, Chucky Atkins, with Odom are still searching their way through this young season, and the Lakers are awaiting the return of veteran Vlade Divac from offseason knee surgery.

The one sure thing, though, is the aggressive nature of Bryant's offensive game. He is attacking the basket relentlessly and continually trying to take over games on offense.

Bryant is taking advantage of the NBA's new hand-check enforcement, which favors players with quickness on the perimeter and encourages slashing and cutting toward the basket.

Through eight games, Bryant is second in the league in scoring with 28.3 points per game, and 40 percent of his points have come on free throws. This is amazing when you consider that just a few years ago, Iverson led the NBA in scoring and got 27 percent of his points from the line.

The Clippers, on the other hand, have many people in L.A. believing they might have the better team in that city.

Even though they're just 5-3, coach Mike Dunleavy has them playing some very good basketball. The key statistic for the Clippers is their turnovers in victories and losses. In their victories, L.A. has averaged only 12 turnovers per game. In losses, that number jumps to 22.

Marko Jaric and rookie Shaun Livingston have to play well for this team to win consistently. That is hard, considering they are still learning the NBA game as true point guards.

All-Star power forward Elton Brand is still the rock of the franchise.

Brand has developed his outside shot enough to now make defenders come out to contest it. Inside, he loves the left block to wheel and deal against players his own size. Occasionally, he has problems when guarded by bigger or taller players.

Corey Maggette is leading the league in free-throw attempts, which proves how aggressive he has been at the offensive end. Maggette has improved every year in the league and deserves acclaim because of his work ethic.

The biggest boost has been the great play from forward/center Chris Wilcox and forward Bobby Simmons.

Wilcox has played with a newfound energy and has been able to get quick scores down low in the post. Not one player in the entire league works harder than Simmons to get ready for each campaign. He takes this from friend and former teammate Michael Jordan.

Simmons' outside shooting has continued to improve, and with his strong body he can post up or hurt you from the outside. I coached Bobby for two seasons in Washington and knew all he needed was more experience and a chance to learn his craft by playing consistent minutes. The one thing you could never take away from him, though, is his work ethic and great attitude.

Simmons is fourth in the league in free-throw accuracy at 96 percent (23 of 24).

Even more reason for Clippers' fans to cheer: Guard Kerry Kittles and center Chris Kaman should return soon from the injured list. This will add to the Clippers' depth.

Artest vs. The Pistons
One of the key matchups this week will be the Pacers' Ron Artest trying to contain the Pistons' Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince Friday (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET).

How much bad blood is there between Artest (left) and Hamilton?
If you remember Game 6 of last season's Eastern Conference Finals, Artest had an ill-timed flagrant foul called on him while defensing Hamilton. The play helped the Pistons secure a victory on their way to the NBA title.

The reigning Defensive Player of the Year, Artest has played great again this season – even though you never know what to expect from him each night before tipoff.

With all of the Pacers' injuries, Artest has been starting at shooting guard. So he will get a chance to use his strength and post up Hamilton. Reggie Miller and Fred Jones' injuries make coach Rick Carlisle's rotation decisions easy. The Pacers only dressed eight players last weekend against the Sixers and Knicks.

On the other side, Hamilton and the Pistons will have to repeat what worked for them in the playoffs. Hamilton will put his track shoes on, never stop running and cutting without the ball, coming off screens in the half court and running for layups in full-court transition.

The new king of the crossover?
There are many point guards who can handle the basketball like magicians. Fans love to 'ooh' and 'aah' at the "crossover" – the ball-handler's swift dribble from hand-to-hand before he makes a break that leaves the defender cemented to the floor.
Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Nash, Earl Boykins, Alvin Williams (on injured reserve), and Tony Parker all would receive many votes in a poll of which NBA player has the best crossover.

But no one playing now has the strength and quickness on this particular dribble move to get free and go hard towards the rim better than Dwyane Wade.

I've watched Miami four times this season, and it is almost impossible for an entire team – let alone one man – to keep Wade out of the lane. It has to be a defensive goal to forbid him from getting into the painted area.

The Heat are using Wade's strengths. They are setting the wing screen-roll a little lower on the floor than many teams. This shortens the distance to the rim, if Wade can break his man down.

Wade wants to take his defender lower on the wing, then get the defender to look briefly at the screener coming down so Wade can cross the defender over with the dribble. Then Wade can take the ball along the baseline hard to the rim.

He either has been finishing at the basket or lobbing the ball up to Shaquille O'Neal if Shaq's man comes over to help stop the ball.

The defense's job is to make sure Wade uses the screen. That way his defender can get help from a teammate to get Wade under control before the Heat speedster picks up a head of steam.

This is easier said than done. It will be fun to watch Wade play and watch him grow as a point guard when he's completely recovered from his sprained ankle.

Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, will be a frequent contributor to Insider.

raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:36 AM
Insider Special: Coaches on the Hot Seat

Job security concerns in N.Y., Denver, elsewhere

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

Chat wrap with Chad Ford from Thursday

The NBA season has already given us a nice series of surprises to start off the season.

Here's another one.

We're now into the third week of the season, and we've yet to see a head coach fired.

Last year's unprecedented purge saw 13 head coaches lose or quit their jobs between the start of last season and the beginning of this one.

Has the madness finally stopped or are we just in the calm before the storm?

"There are so many new coaches," one NBA GM told Insider, "that you'd like to think we'd actually give them a chance to fix whatever they were hired to fix. But the reality is that patience isn't much of a virtue in this business. Some coaches are going to lose their jobs soon. That's just life in the NBA."

The question is who and how many?

There are already rumblings of unhappiness in New York, Denver and Sacramento. More problem spots will appear as we head further into the season, though the body count won't be nearly as high as it was last season.

Here's Insider's look at a number of coaches with the job security of Ashlee Simpson's voice coach.

SKATING ON THIN ICE
Lenny Wilkens, Knicks

Isiah Thomas' decision to hire Wilkens last year got its share of raised eyebrows. Wilkens was coming off a disastrous stint in Toronto where he clearly lost control of his team. To make matters worse, he was essentially the same coach as the guy who just got fired, Don Chaney. Both Chaney and Wilkens are affable, laid-back coaches who rely – in part – on their cordial relationship with players to get results on the floor.

How long will Marbury (left), remain a supporter of Wilkens?
Wilkens did a good job last year, helping a team that looked destined for the lottery into the last playoff spot in the East. But there are already numerous signs of fracture this season.

After an embarrassing home opener blowout loss to the Celtics, Thomas stepped in and suggested that Wilkens let go long-time lead assistant Dick Helm. According to various reports, when Wilkens refused Thomas did more than insist. Helm left the team the next day, citing personal issues.

Thomas then replaced Helm with his right hand man, Brendan Suhr, who was serving as the Knicks director of player personnel. Wilkens has said all the right things about Thomas, Helm and Suhr, but it's obvious that there's increasing tension there.

To make matters worse, his players are starting to complain. Stephon Marbury, who was Wilken's biggest supporter when he was hired, blew his stack after Tuesday night's loss to the Spurs. He accused his teammates of breaking plays. That in and of itself isn't an indictment of Wilkens, who calls the plays but can't execute them. But it's the same type of stuff we heard in Toronto before things fell apart. If players are no longer listening to the coach and if the coach isn't disciplining players who ignore him, we're not that far from disaster.

Thomas doesn't want to get there. He's promised Knicks fans a contender and a 2-4 start isn't exactly what he had in mind. Factor in brutal road games against the Rockets and Mavs and then a home game against the surging Cavs and it's conceivable that the team is going to start 2-7 before getting some relief in the form of a four-game stretch against the Hawks and Raptors.

If the Knicks keep stumbling over that stretch … Wilkens will be gone. Who will replace him? The speculation has been intense since Thomas took the front office job that he'd ultimately also would coach the Knicks. He has publicly denied that he'll take over on the bench on several occasions this year.

Phil Jackson's name comes up as a candidate because he's available and he's said he'd always like to coach the Knicks. However, we don't think he's specifically talking about Isiah's version of the Knicks when he mentioned his interest. The truth is that Phil likes control and wouldn't get it from Isiah.

Without any other big names out there, the duties could fall on Suhr, a Thomas loyalist who would allow Thomas to have a major say on who plays and how they play without physically sitting on the bench.

Jeff Bzdelik, Nuggets

Expectations can be a killer and Jeff Bzdelik really has no one to blame but himself. Without a long-term contract extension, Bzdelik threw the rebuilding plans out the window, stuck with his veterans and guided the Nuggets to an improbable playoff berth last season.

His reward? The Nuggets stiff-armed him in contract extension talks this summer and, when the season ends, Bzdelik will be a free agent. If, that is, he lasts that long.

GM Kiki Vandeweghe was upset last season that Bzdelik didn't spend more time developing some of the team's young players like Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Rodney White. While he was happy with the Nuggets' play on the floor, Vandeweghe felt the approach was short sighted.

Is Bzdelik (right) sitting next to his successor, Cooper?
Kiki isn't trying to build a playoff team. He's trying to build a championship one. With expectations mile high after last season, the Nuggets' front office shifted gears and tried to add a piece or two that would give them a big boost in the West. The Nuggets ended up settling on Kenyon Martin, hoping that the combo of Martin, Nene and Marcus Camby would give them one of the strongest front lines in the league.

On paper it all looked great. So far, on the court, the results have been much less impressive. Injuries have been the Nuggets' biggest problem. Voshon Lenard, their only real perimeter threat, is done for the season. Nene's played in just one game. Camby already is having injury trouble.

The Nuggets have a great starting five, but they have a thin bench and it's showing. Bzdelik can't be blamed for any of that. However, the Nuggets who are healthy haven't played with the same passion they've shown the past two years. They've sleepwalked through several games and, at times, appeared to have tuned out their coach.

That's what's raised the red flags in Denver. While the team is both publicly and privately supporting Bzdelik, the writing's on the wall. To stick with this team, the Nuggets had to be great this year. They're falling far short and Bzdelik's hand-picked successor, Michael Cooper, is waiting in the wings.

Watch this next stretch closely. The Nuggets play eight of their next nine games at home, where they've been, historically, dominant. Many of their opponents during that stretch – Chicago, New Jersey, New Orleans, Cleveland and Orlando – are teams the Nuggets should be beat at home.

If they keep stumbling against teams like that at home, look for Kiki to kick Bzdelik to the curb before a brutal seven-game road trip starts in December.

DON'T UNPACK YOUR BAGS JUST YET
Rick Adelman, Kings

Adelman has never gotten the credit he deserves for an impressive Kings' run the past five years. On his watch the Kings have turned themselves from an NBA joke into one of the most exciting and successful teams in the league. Arco Arena is the loudest stadium in the NBA. And the Kings have gotten a high amount of exposure despite being in such a small market.

Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Vlade Divac, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie and Bobby Jackson have all played a big part in the success, but give Adelman his due. He let his guys get out there and play their style of basketball and it was fun to watch and, most nights, it worked.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to end sooner or later. Teams get old. Chemistry changes. Coaches' voices fade into the background. Has that time come in Sacramento?

It's still too early to tell for sure, but there are signs that things might not turn out as well this year. The chemistry that has been so stellar these past five years has taken a well-documented hit. The King's depth, once a trademark of the team, has dwindled. And the early results of the team are … mixed.

After an 0-3 start that appeared to doom the team, the Kings have bounced back, winning four of their last five. Stojakovic, after a very rocky start, has started to find his shooting range. Early-season player complaints have faded. Take a deep breath, Kings fans. Maybe everything is going to be OK.

However, if the discouraging signs from the start of the season start to reappear, it will be Adelman who might have to suffer the consequences. Trading the players is too hard. Webber's contract can't be moved. So far they've shown no signs of wanting to trade Bibby, Stojakovic or Miller. If the players' faces don't change, the coach's will.

Scott Skiles, Bulls

Skiles seems like a good coach and a good fit for what GM John Paxson is trying to do in Chicago. After years of terrible, lackluster play, Paxson wanted a stern, no-nonsense head coach who could get maximum effort out of his players every night.

Skiles has the pedigree. He did something similar in Phoenix before flaming out. He certainly played that way during his career.

Paxson has given him more tools to get the job done. Out are Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson – guys whom the Bulls believed had become so tainted by the team's losing atmosphere that there was no turning back.

In are players like Kirk Hinrich, Luol Deng, Andres Nocioni and Ben Gordon – tough, talented players from great programs with winning pedigrees.

The result? The Bulls are absolutely playing harder and with more purpose. But there's a good chance they could return from their current brutal road trip 0-11. If they do, Skiles' job is going to be questioned regardless of what kind of job he's doing.

Talking to Bulls sources the past few weeks, I expect that Paxson will try to make more personnel moves before he'd ever looking at dumping Skiles. Too many holdovers from the dark days – read Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler – are still on the squad. They might all have to be purged before the dark cloud lifts.

But at the end of the day, if that's not enough … Skiles is toast. The Bulls can't afford to keep taking steps back at this point. Something has to change. The players will go first. But the coach won't be far behind if this continues.

Nate McMillan, Sonics

McMillan (right), teaching Nick Collison here, cannot afford another collapse after a great start.
I know it's blasphemy to put the name of a head coach on this list whose team currently owns the best record in the league. The Sonics, whom most of us predicted would finish dead last in the West, are 8-1 and are playing the most inspired basketball of McMillan's tenure there.

But let's look at the facts before we just hand the championship over to them. There's a history here.

The Sonics began last season 6-2 before going 32-40 the rest of the way. In 2002 it was even better. The team got off to an 8-2 start before winning just 31 games the rest of the way.

They've fooled us before. They could still do it again. Rashard Lewis, too, has a history of hot starts before cooling off a month into the season. Realistically, Ray Allen isn't going to be shooting 60-plus percent from beyond the arc all year. And how long will Luke Ridnour, who's been very solid at point guard, hold up with the style of basketball he plays?

They're all legit questions on a team that has done nothing in the past few seasons to inspire a modicum of confidence.

McMillan happens to be an excellent coach who has never been given the tough, blue-collar players who really flow with his style of coaching. This year, he's inspired guys like Lewis, Allen and Ridnour to go the extra mile. History says that it won't continue.

If it doesn't, McMillan, whose contract expires at the end of the year anyway, will be gone. If it does continue, he'll be the number one candidate for Coach of the Year.

How weird is this league?

WATCH AND WAIT
Hubie Brown, Grizzlies If it's blasphemy to include a coach who has the best record in the league, what's the offense for putting a guy on this list who's a coaching legend and the most recent recipient of the Coach of the Year honor?

Regardless of what you're reading in the national media, there is no rift between Brown and team president Jerry West. Unlike some of the other coaches here, his job is his as long as he wants it.

Hubie's brilliant and everyone, including Hubie, knows it. There's another reason that he's on this list. He's 71 years old. He's slowing down physically. The rough and tumble world of NBA coaching has worn him down considerably the last few years. While he remains as sharp as ever mentally, his body is tired.

That has led him to delegate more this year … something that hasn't always gone over well with the players. Hubie has the ultimate respect, it appears, of all of his players. His staff however, doesn't receive the same automatic deference.

When Jason Williams snapped at Hubie's son, assistant coach Brendan Brown, for his play calling in the fourth quarter of a game, the first evidence of discord bubbled to the surface.

Williams has apologized and Brown has excused the whole incident to frustration, but the truth appears to be on the court. The Grizzlies aren't off to a great start and have a tough schedule coming up.

Brown told Insider last year that he was coaching from day-to-day. The Grizzlies had signed him to a three-year deal (which expires this year) but his agreement with West was that he would take it one day at time. For their part, the Grizzlies feel that this isn't a big issue. They've seen nothing, sources inside the Grizzlies tell Insider, that suggests Hubie will retire this season.

The Grizzlies always will benefit from Brown's presence, but if he felt he wasn't able to give it his all anymore, he might just walk away and take with him … much of the hope that has been fostered in Memphis these past two seasons.

Around the League

Why was Vince Carter benched for significant time in the fourth quarter twice this week? A Raptors' source told Insider that the new head coach Sam Mitchell has become increasingly perplexed with Carter's refusal to take the ball the basket.
Eighty percent of Carter's shots this year are jump shots according to the stat gurus at 82Games.com. Just 2-percent are dunks. And he's only drawing fouls 5.2-percent of the time. When you factor in that he's shooting 38 percent from the field and 29 percent from three-point range, you can understand why Mitchell is frustrated. Carter's -20.1 plus/minus stat is second-lowest on the team behind only Jalen Rose.

"You've got to be unselfish, you've got to play hard, and you've got to play together," Mitchell said this week. "If I'm wrong with those three things ... then I don't want to coach anymore."

Mitchell has the full support of new GM Rob Babcock. Carter, for the most part, has deflected questions about the issue. But Rose, who has also felt his coach's wrath, has been more outspoken about his coach's brash style.

"Anytime you say it's your way or the highway you know that draws a flat line," Rose said. "(There's no room for error, there's no room for judgment, there's no room for change. He's doing this for the first time."

Asked to elaborate later, Rose said: "Nobody's way is always the only way."

The Raptors have lost four out of their last five. It looks like things could start getting ugly in Toronto.

Eddy Curry has been solid in his last two outings (not taking into account last night's stinker), prompting teams to increase their offers to Bulls GM John Paxson. The Knicks have been pursuing Curry the most aggressively. Their initial offer of Nazr Mohammed was laughed at by the Bulls. Their second offer of Michael Sweetney will be taken more seriously. Sweetney has shown some real promise this season and adding him to the mix would allow the Bulls to move Tyson Chandler to center.
Still, the Bulls are holding out for more right now. Paxson would like to get something done with the Nuggets. In a perfect world, a Curry and Eric Piatkowski for Nene and Voshon Lenard swap would give the Bulls exactly what they want -- another young big man with more toughness and a better work ethic.

Why would the Nuggets consider the deal? First, Curry is a much better offensive player than Nene, he's more of a true center, and the team has two big defenders, Marcus Camby and Kenyon Martin, to help them out. With Lenard out for the season, the Nuggets also need perimeter shooting -- something Piatkowski can still provide.

Other players the Bulls would consider swapping Curry for include Bucks guard Michael Redd and Clippers forward Chris Wilcox.

Insider got a number of angry phone calls from player agents after we ran a story last Friday on the ongoing CBA negotiations. While none of them were complaining about the content of the story, they are angry that the players aren't taking a harder line with the owners.
“ The Warriors didn't need to sign those players to $130 million worth of contracts. They had their restricted rights next year. To sign a guy of your own free will and then ask the players to protect you from yourself is nuts. Why should the players compromise? ”
— One agent on the CBA dispute

Said one agent: "The owners really got just about everything they asked for last time and when you look at revenues, BRI (Basketball-Related Income) and the like, it's working. It boggles the mind that they are coming back and claiming the system is broke. The only reason that the there are problems with the CBA is that owners themselves keep finding loopholes. No one is putting a gun to their head.

"The Warriors didn't need to sign those players to $130 million worth of contracts. They had their restricted rights next year. To sign a guy of your own free will and then ask the players to protect you from yourself is nuts. Why should the players compromise?"

Another agent was more succinct.

"I've been in this business a long time. I'm always amazed at what owners agree to even when we have little or no leverage," he said.

"Let's just put it this way. If I was an owner, many of the deals that my clients have signed over the past few years would've never happened. We'll take the money. But the way they hand it out is not the fault of the CBA. It's their own doing."

The agents have a point. Not only are owners sometimes out of control, but their spending habits rarely make much sense.

The Pistons won the championship last season with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. Ditto for the Spurs two years ago. Teams that are spending a fortune like the Knicks, Blazers and Mavericks haven't been to their own conference championship rounds for years.

Agents are urging the players to get take a harder stance and get the message out there that it's not the greed of players fueling the coming labor war -- it's the fiscal irresponsibility of certain NBA owners.

They're probably fighting a losing battle, however. There wouldn't be a salary cap, period, if owners exercised good business judgment.

The last CBA had the same goal -- protecting owners from themselves. The fact that they want more protections from their increasingly bizarre behavior is a surprise to no one.

Owners typically own teams (Donald Sterling is exempted) not to make a huge profit, but to win a championship. Left on their own, most would spend whatever it takes to win one.

However, that's not in the league's best interest, which is why Stern continues to try and level the playing field for small-market teams.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:37 AM
What do the Pacers do now?

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider

What happens when three weeks into the season, one of the top contenders for the NBA crown loses its three top scorers for the next few months?

No good. No Upside. Just lots and lots of bad.

The Very, Very Bad
INDIANA PACERS: Without Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson, it's tough to believe the Pacers have any real shot at the playoffs, let alone competing for an NBA title.
O'Neal won't return until Jan. 15. Jackson won't return until Jan. 26. With Jonathan Bender out six weeks with a knee injury and other Pacers such as Jeff Foster, Reggie Miller and Scot Pollard also nursing injuries, can the Pacers rebound?

The team had been worried for months that Artest was going to snap and be lost for the season. Now that Indiana's worst fears have been realized, how will the Pacers respond?

Despite the gloomy outlook, they do have several things going for them. In fact, they still have a route to the playoffs. Insider breaks it down.

The appeal: Union chief Billy Hunter already has said the players' association will appeal on behalf of Artest, O'Neal and Jackson given the severity of the penalties.
What will happen next? Things don't look good for Artest & Co. According to Article XXXI, Section 8 (a) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the players' association can't ask for an independent arbitrator in this particular instance, because the dispute involves "conduct on the playing court."

Instead, players (or the union) must file an internal appeal, petitioning the commissioner to reconsider – something several of the players, including Artest and O'Neal, plan on pursuing – but the final say rests solely with Stern.

The union can file a grievance arguing the players' actions took place off the court, because Artest went into the crowd. Off-the-court incidents can be appealed to an independent arbitrator (like the Latrell Sprewell-P.J. Carlesimo choking incident). However, a league source familiar with the language of the rule claims it's unlikely an appeal on those grounds will prevail, given precedent of the rule's application.

If somehow Stern decides to reduce the suspensions (or if the union can convince an arbitrator the events took place off the court), Artest theoretically could be back before the end of the season, and both O'Neal and Jackson could be in uniform before their current mid-January return dates.

However, right now the chances of that seem slim.

The schedule: The good news for the Pacers is their schedule in December is relatively light. They have eight road games during the stretch, and six are against the Clippers, Warriors, Hawks, Bulls, Bobcats and Nets – arguably the worst six teams in the NBA.
Their home schedule is tougher but still includes winnable games against the Bobcats, Bucks, Raptors, Sixers and Hornets.

However, in January, things get brutal. A four-game road trip against the Spurs, Mavericks, Suns and Grizzlies, followed by a home game against the Suns, could be a killer.

But even if the Pacers go 7-23 in their stretch without O'Neal and Jackson (a worst-case scenario, in my mind), you still can't write them out of the playoffs at 14-26 overall.

That record isn't great, but given how weak the East is at the moment, the ground they would need to gain over the second half of the season isn't insurmountable. If they could move into a sixth seed, they actually would avoid a potential problem that has worried them since the league realigned – facing the Pistons in the second round of the playoffs.

Several cap exceptions: The league will allow the Pacers to sign a few free agents to replace the three suspended players. Luckily for the Pacers, they didn't spend all of their exception money this summer. They have $2.7 million of their $4.9 million mid-level exception left and also own their full $1.6 million exception.
There are several free agents still unsigned, among them Marcus Haislip, Keon Clark, Michael Curry, Gary Trent and Troy Bell.

Will the Pacers spend the cash? The problem they face is they already have one of the highest payrolls in the league and an owner who doesn't want it to grow. The team gets no cap relief for having players suspended. Anyone they add is an additional cost.

The Pacers also are free to make a trade, including possibly moving Artest while he's under suspension. While his trade value is at an all-time low, a team like the Knicks, who previously have shown enormous interest in him, might be willing to make a deal now, hoping Artest wins his appeal or, in a worst-case scenario, will be ready to play next season.

The replacements: The Pacers do have one of the deeper benches in the league, and they'll need it now more than ever. Several of their top young players haven't had a lot of opportunities to play. Now that they're thrust into the spotlight, can they pick up some of the slack?

Fred Jones has to step up with the Pacers' three top scorers out of the lineup.
Start with new starting 2-guard Fred Jones, who already had taken over a big role this year with Miller out with a broken hand. His 31 points against the Magic on Saturday gave you a taste of what he's capable of doing without the other go-to guys in the lineup. Jones is a strong, athletic 2-guard who can defend and hit 3s. Expect him to put up big numbers during the stretch.

Austin Croshere will step in and replace O'Neal. Croshere looked like the next great thing four years ago, when he helped the Pacers push the Lakers in the Finals. Since then, he's been kind of lost in the shuffle. This year he's been playing big minutes for the injury-depleted Pacers and playing well. He's averaged 13 ppg and 7.8 ppg on 48 percent shooting the past five games. He's also one of the team's best 3-point shooters. He won't provide the toughness, rebounding or shot blocking O'Neal does, but he isn't bad.

Second-year forward James Jones likely will get the call at small forward until Bender comes back from injury. Jones has played sparingly but had an impressive 12-point, 12-rebound performance in his first game against the Magic.

Also, don't forget about rookie David Harrison at center. Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh raved about him all summer, and with both Foster and Pollard nursing injuries, he's been more than solid in the middle. He had 19 points and eight rebounds against the Magic. He's still raw, but this gives the Pacers a wonderful opportunity to throw him out there and have him learn on the job.

The unity factor: While it's tough to see a silver lining in this cloud, the Pacers may end up with two positives:
One, a team that seemed quite fractured a week ago appears to have bonded over the whole incident. Sources in Indiana claim Artest's teammates haven't blamed him for what happened to the team. The fact many of them rushed into the stands in his defense is a great sign of team unity.

Two, if players like Jones, Croshere and Harrison can carry the team over some of the rough spots, they'll be much better equipped to help once a well-rested O'Neal and Jackson return in mid-January.

David Stern may have landed a crippling blow to the franchise on Sunday. But it isn't over yet.

The Pacers may no longer be serious contenders for the Eastern Conference crown, but come mid-January, they'll still have enough firepower to make teams sweat in the East.

And if by some miracle Artest does get reinstated this season, the Pistons will be the ones sweating in May.

The Bad

Detroit Pistons: There's probably more than one Pistons fan out there who thinks his team belongs in the "good" category today. Ben Wallace's antics Friday night effectively eliminated Detroit's closest competition for the season.
Congratulations.

Had that been accomplished on the court, we'd be impressed. But the fact remains it was Wallace who started this by over-reacting to an Artest foul. It was Wallace who egged Artest and the crowd on, throwing a towel at Artest before fans threw anything.

And it was a few Detroit fans who destroyed all the goodwill the team and the city had earned at the end of last season.

"You know, a few months ago, people were talking about our crowds as the envy of the league," said Joe Dumars, Pistons president of basketball operations. "It just goes to show you how one foolish moment can change things."

The Pistons may have played the right way last season. But everyone in Detroit played the wrong way on Friday.

The Pistons will recover quicker than the Pacers. But they're still without Wallace for the next six games. Those include road games against the red-hot Cavaliers and the Rockets, as well as a tough home game against their primary rivals in the East now – the Miami Heat.

The Pistons weren't just embarrassed by the actions off the court Friday. The banged up Pacers beat a healthy Pistons squad convincingly on the court. So far Detroit is off to an unimpressive 5-4 start – with squeaker overtime wins against the Clippers and Bobcats – and is giving up more than 97 ppg.

Everything is not right in Motown.

Hopefully Friday night's ugliness will help remind the Pistons' players and fans what made them special last year and how quickly things can turn when you lose focus of it.

The Ugly

The NBA: David Stern came out swinging Sunday. The Pistons and Pacers had put a black eye on his beloved league, and his punches landed where it hurts, proving once and for all the commish can hit back harder than the rest of them.
Stern had to do something that made a statement to the fans, players and teams about the seriousness of the events that went down on Friday.

To that end, he succeeded. Suspending Artest for the season sends the appropriate message – the league won't to stand for that type of behavior. The huge punishments for O'Neal and Jackson also were unprecedented, destroying the myth that Stern was out just to purge the psychos.

Stern got everyone's attention, and as the SportsNation poll indicates, his decision was a popular one.

Placating the angry mob that wanted a pound of flesh may have been Stern's primary job. However, as commissioner, Stern also had a duty to be fair not only to the players, but to two of the best franchises in the league. It's also clear from the punishments that he may have over reached – especially with Artest.

There's no question Artest has a history of bizarre, even violent behavior on and off the court. The fears mostly centered on the irrational Artest – the guy who does insane things for no apparent reason. Who could've known it would be the semi-rational Artest who evoked Stern's greatest wrath this weekend?

I'm not defending Artest, but for almost the entire episode on Friday, Artest was a model of restraint – for Ronnie anyway. After being shoved in the neck and face by Ben Wallace, he resisted the urge to retaliate. The old, out-of-control Artest I've seen in the past would've lost it right there and went toe-to-toe with Wallace. Instead, he retreated to the scorer's table, laid down and waited for the refs to work things out. When Wallace later threw a towel his direction, clearly trying to provoke Artest, he didn't flinch.

It wasn't until a cup landed on his chest that Artest lost it. By now you've seen the video a hundred times. Artest bolted off the scorer's table and headed into the stands. Pacers sources claim Artest saw the fan throw the cup. Pistons sources say the tape clearly shows Artest actually got the wrong guy.

Artest didn't punch the fan or pummel him into a bloody pulp, as more creative columnists have suggested. He grabbed Ryan, manhandled him and asked him if he did it. The fan, in his own words, corroborates this.

"He asked me, 'Did you do it?' " the fan, Mike Ryan of Clarkston, Mich., told the Associated Press. "I said, 'No, man. No!' "

And it appears that after a few seconds, Artest let go and moved on to confront a number of other fans that were now taking their own shots at him. That doesn't sound like a guy totally out-of-control.

The next time the video gives us a good look at Artest, he's back on the court, trying to make his way to the locker room. Another fan moves onto the court and makes a threatening move toward Artest. Ron throws a haymaker at the guy before backing off. Again, Artest didn't beat him to a pulp. His teammates did that for him.

In fact, you can argue what O'Neal and Jackson did was worse. Though each claims they were coming to the defense of their teammate, both were clearly out of control. Jackson was swinging wildly at everyone. O'Neal cold-cocked a guy in the jaw who already was getting off his knees and looking the other way. I don't know how you call what they did "defense."

The argument that the fan was on the court and thus had it coming won't hold up so well in court. Only Artest really had the right to defend himself against that person.

However, you also could argue that O'Neal did less than Artest. He didn't leave the court. The only fan he hit was a guy who was on the court, messing with a teammate. Anthony Johnson hit the same fan in the face before O'Neal did. Johnson got five games. O'Neal got 25.

Still, Artest paid the ultimate price, primarily because he's Ron Artest. Stern admitted on Sunday that Artest's history played a part in the decision to suspend him for the season.

Artest has proven too many times his judgment is poor. In this case, his decision to run into the stands, no matter how much he was provoked, incited a riot. It was a stupid, stupid decision. Nothing good can ever come from a player running into the stands.

But suspended for the season? I'm all for tough love. But the time doesn't fit the crime – this time.

Look in the mirror this morning and ask yourself if there isn't a little bit of Ron Artest in all of us? On many nights, the crowds behind the visiting team's bench resemble the studio audience at the Jerry Springer show. And no, I don't think that's a good thing.

Lines are crossed too often, with fans going far beyond taunts. They can be vile and uncivilized. I've heard racist epithets flung with a venom that would make the KKK proud. Disparaging and demeaning remarks about family members or a player's history or personal problems all are fair game for fans these days.

Lines are being crossed by the media, too, with sports talk radio taking on a very Springer-like tone. When insults are dubbed "killing a guy," we've gone too far, too.

The players are as sick of us as we are of them. Just because they make millions doesn't mean they should be subject to flying objects – whether chairs, bottles or nasty words.

Stern did what he had to do. He did it against the only constituency over which he had any control.

But if you're waiting for the players or the NBA to make this all better, your finger is pointed in the wrong direction.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
11/23/2004  8:49 AM
thanx
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/23/2004  9:37 AM
Chad's a total hoser... this is the same guy that was suggesting Darko has an even great upside than Lebron, and called Skeeta a "great pick."
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
various insider articles

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy