[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

H2O ready to scrimmage!!!!
Author Thread
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

11/23/2004  1:50 AM
“I’m ready to go,” added a widely smiling Houston. “I feel like I can begin to scrimmage any time the team wants me to.”

this is from practice yesterday

great news! he also said he dont care if he comes off the bench, allan is the man

http://www.nba.com/knicks/inthepaint/practice_041122.html
AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
11/23/2004  3:01 AM
that's really great news !
raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:02 AM
and more about that :

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/32114.htm

GIANT LEAP, HOUSTON

November 23, 2004 -- Allan Houston took his most significant step toward returning to the Knicks lineup yesterday, taking part in a brisk rehearsal of the team's offensive game plan.
He could scrimmage with the team as early as Friday, which could be the final hurdle before returning to full-time action sometime next week.

An upbeat Houston said after yesterday's practice that if given the green light by the training staff, he is ready to resume practicing with his teammates and test his injured left side in full-contract drills.

"I'm at the point now if they were to say 'you're ready', I probably would," Houston said. "But we still have to be smart about it, in terms of the training staff and everyone else, as far as progressing it. I feel better than I've ever felt since I've been in New York, period. I'm just excited about that. It's just fun to be out there now. I don't even care about anything else except being out there."

Houston has missed all eight games this season and will sit out tonight against Atlanta and tomorrow in Toronto. Because of the schedule and the Thanksgiving holiday, the earliest the Knicks could scrimmage will be Friday.

Houston initially injured his left quadriceps at the end of last season, limiting him to just nine of the Knicks' final 35 games. He did not play in the first-round playoff series against the Nets, but for the first time in a long while, No. 20 finally sees the light at the end of his rehabilitation.

Placed on the injured list at the start of this season, Houston had not practiced with the team until yesterday — even though the session was hardly a litmus test of how healthy he is. The true test will come when he starts taking part in scrimmages.

When he does return, coach Lenny Wilkens will have a crowded backcourt and will have to find minutes up top for Houston, Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford, who has excelled in Houston's absence.

"It's something I've done in the past," Wilkens said of playing all three guards at the same time. "It's something that can be done. You just have to look at the situations, the match-ups, what we gain by it, if we're a better team at that point in time. It's something that can happen."

For Houston, playing time isn't a concern.

"I'm just so happy right now that I feel good, that I don't even care," Houston said. "I'm just excited. I could go out there and play five minutes, 35, 45 — it doesn't even matter right now."

raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:04 AM
Houston Ready for Next Step
By DAVE CALDWELL

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/23/sports/basketball/23knicks.html?oref=login

Published: November 23, 2004

REENBURGH, N.Y., Nov. 22 - Knicks guard Allan Houston moved gracefully between spots on the perimeter of the floor Monday, catching passes and floating in one elegant jump shot after another. He made 18 in a row before a buzzer sounded and he took a break.

"He looks sharp," Knicks point guard Stephon Marbury said. "He looks like he's ready to shoot the ball in a real game."

And a real game, finally, is within sight for Houston, who has not played this season because of soreness in his left knee. Houston pronounced himself ready to begin scrimmaging, and he could get his first chance later this week.

"I feel better than I've felt since I've been in New York, period," Houston said.

Houston, 33, is in his ninth season with the Knicks. He did not miss more than five games in any of his first seven seasons with the Knicks, but he missed 32 last season.

Already playing on a sore knee, Houston bruised his left quadriceps when he bumped into Washington's Jared Jeffries on March 16. He played in only one game after that, scoring 2 points in eight minutes March 26 against Toronto.

Houston seemed to be delighted to announce Monday that he was ready to take the next step of his lengthy rehabilitation. Because the Knicks play Atlanta on Tuesday and Toronto on Wednesday, his first chance to scrimmage may come Friday.

"It's been an evolution with my strength and comfort level," he said. "I can do more and more things."

Houston participated in his first morning shoot-around before the Knicks beat Cleveland on Sunday, 98-88. Houston did everything the rest of his team did on Monday, including running, not walking, through the offense the team would use against Atlanta.

"We want to do it at a quick pace," Knicks Coach Lenny Wilkens said. "We don't want them to walk through it."

Wilkens found himself answering questions Monday about how he planned to find playing time for Houston. The Knicks (4-5) have two guards in Marbury and Jamal Crawford who are playing well. They combined for 36 points and 15 assists on Sunday.

When asked how Houston would be squeezed into the rotation, Wilkens said, "I don't think I'm at that point yet."

But Wilkens did say he would not be reluctant to use Marbury, Crawford and Houston at the same time.

Houston, wearing a white jersey and blue shorts like the other Knicks guards, said he was thrilled to be practicing. Although no one has determined when he would be activated, he said he would not care how much playing time he gets.

"It's been killing me, just watching," Houston said. "I'm just happy to be out there shooting, going through the plays."

Wilkens said he did not expect Houston to rejoin the lineup and instantly become the same player he has been during his 11-year N.B.A. career, in which he has averaged 17.5 points. A game is much faster and more physical than a scrimmage.

But Wilkens said a comeback was tougher for a player who had not been able to shoot during a layoff. Houston is shooting, and as each swish shows, he is accurate. Of course, the Knicks' practice floor is not surrounded by 19,763 fans.

"I would make sure he won't overdo it," Wilkens said.

Houston said he was not likely to overdo it, either. He seems to appreciate the prospect of returning to play. Eight months without a game is a long time.

"It's been a long road for me," Houston said.

>>>> I'm so excited to see him coming back at the moment things are starting to click for us. Our backcourt will be tough to defend in few weeks ! GO KNICKS !

[Edited by - raven on 11/23/2004 03:07:14]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/23/2004  3:05 AM
Lenny is going to have to employ a lot of three guard sets because, obviously, TT is useless right now, and shouldn't take minutes away from anyone.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

11/23/2004  3:34 AM
"I feel better than I've felt since I've been in New York, period," Houston said
raven
Canada
11/23/2004  3:39 AM
Posted by Rich:

Lenny is going to have to employ a lot of three guard sets because, obviously, TT is useless right now, and shouldn't take minutes away from anyone.

i think we should'nt be so straight minded. gazy is useless now, but he could be useful later, so let's not erase him right away.

all will depends on the matchups i guess.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/23/2004  10:23 AM
we have such a group of guys that can score do things offensively... this is a GREAT opportunity for Sweetney... he's a bonafide post threat and he's shown to be an excellent passer. I think you have to run many plays through him when we are in the half court set. When he's not in you run the typical pick and rolls, high screens and penetration plays that have been working well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/23/2004  11:02 AM
I like the idea of Houston, crawford, stephon & Kurt Thomas playing in the 4th quarter together. That's ultimate execution. They just have to jell.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/23/2004  11:16 AM
Posted by fishmike:

we have such a group of guys that can score do things offensively... this is a GREAT opportunity for Sweetney... he's a bonafide post threat and he's shown to be an excellent passer. I think you have to run many plays through him when we are in the half court set. When he's not in you run the typical pick and rolls, high screens and penetration plays that have been working well.

this is my only semi-gripe with lenny. when sweetney is in the game, he should touch the ball in the post EVERY SINGLE TIME. it should go inside out when he's in. i keep telling my friends and anybody else who'll listen at the games that it needs to go through sweetney. he can pass, he can make the shot, or he'll get to the line. but not only would it help the offense but it also lets us know if sweets is our PF of the future.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/23/2004  11:26 AM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by fishmike:

this is my only semi-gripe with lenny. when sweetney is in the game, he should touch the ball in the post EVERY SINGLE TIME. it should go inside out when he's in. i keep telling my friends and anybody else who'll listen at the games that it needs to go through sweetney. he can pass, he can make the shot, or he'll get to the line. but not only would it help the offense but it also lets us know if sweets is our PF of the future.

Yeah, agreed. I wonder if it has been that he is sharing time with Kurt and he has just been on fire or is the opponents Center has been defending Sweets (to match with length)... this could cause the ball to go away from Sweets. It's still early in the season too, and if the pick and roll is working, you stick with it. Also, Sweets has been fouling a lot when he is in.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/23/2004  11:32 AM
I just want the entire rotation to play well and so far everyone has but TT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/23/2004  11:32 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I like the idea of Houston, crawford, stephon & Kurt Thomas playing in the 4th quarter together. That's ultimate execution. They just have to jell.

Nazr would have to step up big time for this to be succesfull. He needs to be the Windex man and clean that glass or we will be in trouble. I guess we would be playing a lot of zone defense with this lineup. A 3-2 zone would probably work. Have Allan and Jamal on the wings and Marbury up top. This way our bigs can protect them in the post.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/23/2004  11:45 AM
I watch Sweetney a great deal. He needs to lose weight [probably 250 would be ideal] just for the reason you mentioned. His game is to much back to the basket, and he is to small for it. If he weighed less, he would have the option to face and dribble drive past bigger players or just start taking 12-14 footers. Mike hit something like 19 in a row from the FL. He's a very good shooter, but in the game its a rush or with poor balance If he was able to lose weight and incorporate the mid range jumper, he could get up to that 18 and 10 50% level consistently.

H20 becomes 6th man extrordinare. Who will see less minutes? The entire bench has played well, perhaps the best bench in the entire nBA. My guess is that Ariza will lose his minutes and TT will stay down at low 20's. To bad H2o wasnt 6-8, that we he could play 32 minutes at SF and let Ariza play 16 off the bench. I think they will stick with TT through thick and thin, I think thats the plan.

Perhaps something like

c-Nazr 35 minutes
PF Thomas 35 minutes
SF TT 24 minutes
SG Crawford 35 minutes
PG Marbury 37 minutes
Sweetney 20 minutes
JYD 15 minutes
Houston 25 minutes
Hardaway 15 minutes
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
11/23/2004  12:04 PM
its seems to be all matchups with Lenny. He's gone to Ariza at least every game. JYD, Penny, Sweetney and Ariza get a shot every game. How much burn they get depends on the matchups and how that unit plays together.

for 100mm we should have one of the best benches.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/23/2004  12:45 PM
Actually, Houston's return will benefit TT greatly. He will not be forced to stay on the outside to shoot the ball as much as he has been doing. The addition of Houston would push TT to play inside and that is where TT will be playing his best basket. I can't wait to see how effective this rotation will be.

Marb
Crawf
Houston
TT
Kurt or Naser.

Stop them if you can.
The true Knickabocker..........
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
11/23/2004  12:46 PM
I don't think minutes will be much of a problem if TT continues to play the way he's been playing. Only if TT starts to improve will there be a problem, and that's a good problem to have. Nothing TT has done has really indicated that Lenny will have that problem though, so there will be minutes for Ariza and Penny.

[Edited by - nykdunk on 11/23/2004 12:48:17]
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/23/2004  12:50 PM
Here is the deal, regardless of how much TT struggles, if Houston returns healthy, we need to keep him in the game specially if he will be playing the PF position. Although his defense is a huge liability, but offensively he is still a threat. I know that he is going through a little funk right now, but soon or later, he will come out of it, specially watching Houston's text book ways of shooting the ball
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
USA
11/23/2004  12:57 PM
I think its pretty easy to see where the rotation will go with Lenny. Marbury and Craw will get their 35-40 minutes because they are the playmakers, and neither are really suject to fatigue or injuries. As for the rest it will depend on how they play. If TT, Penny and H20's shots are falling or how hard and effective JYD, Sweetney, KT and Ariza are playing on D. Its hard to play 10 and some guys will get DPNs now and then but I dont see any of those 10 falling out of the rotation.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
11/23/2004  1:05 PM
I think Ariza will probably fall out of the rotation for a little while until he earns his way back in practice. Unlike last year, when Lenny inexplicably benched FW in favor of Moochie, I don't think this would be a mistake. Ariza needs a lot of work still.
H2O ready to scrimmage!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy