Member: #3049

10/23/2023  2:49 PM
EwingPSD wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Watched the highlights of Obi in preseason. You can tell they've already embraced him, and will be looking to get him going this season.

3 basket hanging dunks and a three. His offensive game has really evolved.

His offense as a starter doesn’t look too bad.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=what+are+obi+toppin%27s+wins+and+losses+when+starting

I’m curious to see if he’ll be able to step it up on defense. For example, I think Randle will maul and appall Obi.

Notice that no one has posted any Obi Toppin defensive highlights. This team will definitely miss his athleticism and movement without the ball. Hali and TJ will definitely find him off-cuts for easy baskets. But he still looks weak in defense and the boards. I'm not sure his scoring will be enough to offset the points he gives up.

99% of highlights happen on offense. That said Toppin has a big challenge ahead of him on defense. The Pacers don't over-help like us. They switch a lot, stay home, and try to limit 3s. That means more individual responsibility. As for rebounding, occasionally he'll get pushed under by the monsters that push just about everyone under sometimes but he'll generally be fine. The Knicks rebounded well with him on the floor all 3 years and no one mentioned his rebounding until year 3 when he was shooting the 3 well and still not playing. He'll be asked to grab a couple more in Indy b/c they aren't as good a rebounding team and he probably will.

Obi's rebounding has always been bad. He has a total rebounding rate of 11% and an averages 7 rebounds per 36 minutes for his career. The point about Indiana not over helping doesn't really change my view on Obi's defense since he's bad at help and man to man defense too. I would give Obi the benefit the doubt on the physical matchups, but he also fails to move his feet on the perimeter. Indiana not helping as much may expose Obi even more. His strength is scoring and he will have to do so on a high clip to justify a spot in the starting lineup.

What was bad about it? the Knicks did not have a poor def rebounding % when he played or get beat up on the offensive glass. Honestly, I think the rebounding #s you are posting are pointless. He is not a ball handler and was the team's best floor runner. Having him collect an excess of defensive rebounds on the Knicks would not have helped the team. They didn't have a rebounding issue. I think he will probably rebound more in Indy b/c they need him to.

I think defending in Indy will be more challenging than it was here. He won't have as many good defenders around him and he will have less help. In NY he was serviceable but was so with a lot of help. It will be interesting to see if he can be in a different system.

Obi ranked 247 out of all forwards last season. That number jumps to 127 when filtered down to only bench players. Cole Anthony had a higher percentage. Obi's rebounding numbers were bad. We'll see if that was a product of our "system."
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/23/2023  3:41 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Watched the highlights of Obi in preseason. You can tell they've already embraced him, and will be looking to get him going this season.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=what+are+obi+toppin%27s+wins+and+losses+when+starting

I’m curious to see if he’ll be able to step it up on defense. For example, I think Randle will maul and appall Obi.

Notice that no one has posted any Obi Toppin defensive highlights. This team will definitely miss his athleticism and movement without the ball. Hali and TJ will definitely find him off-cuts for easy baskets. But he still looks weak in defense and the boards. I'm not sure his scoring will be enough to offset the points he gives up.

99% of highlights happen on offense. That said Toppin has a big challenge ahead of him on defense. The Pacers don't over-help like us. They switch a lot, stay home, and try to limit 3s. That means more individual responsibility. As for rebounding, occasionally he'll get pushed under by the monsters that push just about everyone under sometimes but he'll generally be fine. The Knicks rebounded well with him on the floor all 3 years and no one mentioned his rebounding until year 3 when he was shooting the 3 well and still not playing. He'll be asked to grab a couple more in Indy b/c they aren't as good a rebounding team and he probably will.

Obi's rebounding has always been bad. He has a total rebounding rate of 11% and an averages 7 rebounds per 36 minutes for his career. The point about Indiana not over helping doesn't really change my view on Obi's defense since he's bad at help and man to man defense too. I would give Obi the benefit the doubt on the physical matchups, but he also fails to move his feet on the perimeter. Indiana not helping as much may expose Obi even more. His strength is scoring and he will have to do so on a high clip to justify a spot in the starting lineup.

What was bad about it? the Knicks did not have a poor def rebounding % when he played or get beat up on the offensive glass. Honestly, I think the rebounding #s you are posting are pointless. He is not a ball handler and was the team's best floor runner. Having him collect an excess of defensive rebounds on the Knicks would not have helped the team. They didn't have a rebounding issue. I think he will probably rebound more in Indy b/c they need him to.

I think defending in Indy will be more challenging than it was here. He won't have as many good defenders around him and he will have less help. In NY he was serviceable but was so with a lot of help. It will be interesting to see if he can be in a different system.

Obi ranked 247 out of all forwards last season. That number jumps to 127 when filtered down to only bench players. Cole Anthony had a higher percentage. Obi's rebounding numbers were bad. We'll see if that was a product of our "system."

That passes the eye test. Don't recall seeing Toppin scrapping for rebounds very often, if ever. More often saw him both hanging at the 3point line and releasing early on the fast break. Shooting 3s (58% of his shots were 3s) or dunking it (28% of his shots were from 0-3 feet). Not really conducive to getting rebounds.

I don't think we traded Obi because of his shortcomings. I think we traded him because he requested a trade. And he requested his trade out of frustration with Coach T. It is what it is and we move on.

This is the Randle.
EwingPSD
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9129

10/23/2023  6:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/24/2023  8:35 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
ToddTT wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Sound like you don’t have an answer. What % of Cole Anthony’s rebounds do you think were contested? Probably next to none. Half the league sends two or less guys to the offensive glass. having non-ball handlers collect every rebound instead of getting down floor is counter productive. Why do you think Mitch completely dominates the offensive glass with multiple guys trying to keep him off but doesn't get a ton of defensive rebounds even though their is much less competition for them?

EwingPSD

10/23/2023  7:13 PM
Toppin could have and should have gotten more offensive rebounds than he did. I said from the beginning I think Obi should be good for a put back a game. He didn’t do that. Individual Defensive rebounding #s should be a dead stat at this point though
EwingsGlass
USA
12/4/2023  8:31 AM
Don’t look now, but Toppin is getting real minutes in Indiana. He’s leading the league in FG% while taking about 5 3 pointers a game. His rebounds and assists are low. Basically a finisher. But man, he is starting to percolate over there.
This is the Randle.
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

12/4/2023  8:50 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:Don’t look now, but Toppin is getting real minutes in Indiana. He’s leading the league in FG% while taking about 5 3 pointers a game. His rebounds and assists are low. Basically a finisher. But man, he is starting to percolate over there.

he's been getting real minutes all season, he's just playing better now. but he's far from leading the league in FG%, he's at 61%, the league leader is Poetle at 73%. He also put up two big games against a completely depleted MIA team that was missing BAM and 5 players and had zero interior presence.

Obi can score, that was never his issue, it's what else is he bringing? lots of big men can score and have been phased out because they couldn't do much else.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/4/2023  9:01 AM
Mitch broke in season FG% a few years ago.
It was Wilt Chamberlin's.
Mitch is not Wilt. Stats tell a part of the story.
Obi is with a team that will utilize his talents better.
Obi's old team was more concerned about his deficits and thought the better.
In a sport of winners there must be a loser.
But trades sometimes have win-win's. Knicks are playing better earlier this season and defense is improved thus far.
That was our goal perhaps? Have to ask Thibs.
Indy is running and gunning. They too are doing better.
Thats why we traded obi. Moving on does not always present outcomes right away.
Curious to see if Indy resigns him and at what salary.
Good teams make tough calls. We are a good team. Getting to the next level is much harder.
Enjoy the ride fellas,
nycericanguy

12/4/2023  9:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2023  9:07 AM
Nalod wrote:Mitch broke in season FG% a few years ago.
But trades sometimes have win-win's. Knicks are playing better earlier this season and defense is improved thus far.
Good teams make tough calls. We are a good team. Getting to the next level is much harder.
Enjoy the ride fellas,

agreed, our defense and REBOUNDING is better with 6'4 DDV which is rather telling.

I'd be surprised if Obi didn't score 12-16ppg in IND. that team runs and guns and plays at literally an all time fast pace and has the best passing PG in the entire league.

the questions with him was always, can he defend? can he rebound? can he switch? can he protect the rim? can he space the floor?

The answer to all of the above has been no, so a guy like him has to be ELITE offensively to make up for the rest.

EwingsGlass
USA
12/4/2023  9:11 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:Don’t look now, but Toppin is getting real minutes in Indiana. He’s leading the league in FG% while taking about 5 3 pointers a game. His rebounds and assists are low. Basically a finisher. But man, he is starting to percolate over there.

he's been getting real minutes all season, he's just playing better now. but he's far from leading the league in FG%, he's at 61%, the league leader is Poetle at 73%. He also put up two big games against a completely depleted MIA team that was missing BAM and 5 players and had zero interior presence.

Obi can score, that was never his issue, it's what else is he bringing? lots of big men can score and have been phased out because they couldn't do much else.

My mistake. Leading the league in 2pt%, not overall FG%

This is the Randle.
EwingPSD

12/4/2023  9:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2023  9:31 AM
nycericanguy wrote:
Enjoy the ride fellas,

agreed, our defense and REBOUNDING is better with 6'4 DDV which is rather telling.

I'd be surprised if Obi didn't score 12-16ppg in IND. that team runs and guns and plays at literally an all time fast pace and has the best passing PG in the entire league.

the questions with him was always, can he defend? can he rebound? can he switch? can he protect the rim? can he space the floor?

The answer to all of the above has been no, so a guy like him has to be ELITE offensively to make up for the rest.

It's not telling. DDV and Obi are not playing the same roles. The second unit is better defensively b/c Hart/Barrett is a better defensive combo than Toppin or Randle with RJ for Alec Burks. They are a better rebounding team this year b/c Mitch has hit a new level. None of this has anything to do with DDV. If neither he nor Toppin were here the team would still be even better defensively b/c Deuce, IQ, and Grimes are better than DDV on D and the team would still be better rebounding.

nycericanguy

12/4/2023  9:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2023  9:32 AM
EwingPSD wrote:
nycericanguy wrote:
Enjoy the ride fellas,

It's not telling. DDV and Obi are not playing the same roles. The second unit is better defensively b/c Hart/Barrett is a better defensive combo than Toppin or Randle with RJ for Alec Burks. They are a better rebounding team this year b/c Mitch has hit a new level. None of this has anything to do with DDV. If neither he nor Toppin were here the team would still be even better defensively b/c Deuce, IQ, and Grimes are better than him and would still be better at rebounding.

Mitch's rebounding is pretty much the same it was last year.

whether DDV replaced Obi's role directly or indirectly, we are better for it. We are a completely different team covering the perimeter defensively with either DDV or Hart out there instead of Obi. and our rebounding and shooting have been better as well.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/4/2023  9:37 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2023  9:37 AM

He owes the Knicks big time because they traded him to the ideal situation with the best young playmaker in the league and one of the best offenses in the league. A team that didn’t have an established PF and just wants to run. Just the perfect situation for him.

nycericanguy

12/4/2023  9:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2023  9:41 AM
Knixkik wrote:

He owes the Knicks big time because they traded him to the ideal situation with the best young playmaker in the league and one of the best offenses in the league. A team that didn’t have an established PF and just wants to run. Just the perfect situation for him.

Pacers pace and offense has been historically good, I read they are on pace to be the best offensive team of all time. They are scoring 129ppg, no one else is really even close.

Hali might be a future MVP. He's doing this without anything close to resembling a 2nd star next to him.

EwingPSD

12/4/2023  9:59 AM
Knixkik wrote:

He doesn't owe the Knicks. Calling it a settled debt makes a little more sense

LivingLegend
Member: #1645

12/4/2023  12:07 PM
What’s crazy with the Indy offense is Obi’s last excegame was without Hali playing and they put up 144 — assume maybe Miami wasn’t fully engaged without Bam.

My understanding was Obi was moved to create room for DD - which has seems to work out well.

Historically I was always on the move Randle and give Obi more minute bandwagon because I felt our offense should flow more like what Indy is doing and Obi is super great fit for adding to that Pacer mix. Hopefully Jules proves me completely wrong and doesn’t go rogue again with mental/effort lapses.

shinmen
Member: #6029
France
12/4/2023  1:02 PM
I'm not that impressed with the pacers. For all their dynamic offense they also are the worst team in opponents PPG, FG% and 3PT%. This is indeed the perfect scenario for obi. If we make it to the playoffs, will they be able to use the same game plan?
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/4/2023  1:25 PM
However you want to argue against Obi, the fact that we got practically zero in return for him is ridiculous. He obviously should have had SOME value. Not third round picks.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
12/4/2023  2:14 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2023  2:15 PM
EwingPSD wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

What sort of debt ? The Knicks gave him away. They could have just kept him as a backup. Knicks didn’t do him dirty or anything. He walked into a backup role and never even had any competition for it. Knicks only rostered 2 PFs his entire time here. I get he was positionally blocked here but not every lottery pick should expect a red carpet treatment. Knicks did him a huge favor.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/4/2023  3:48 PM
Toppin might not be showing in Indy that he could have replaced Randle, if Jules had been moved. But I do believe Obi is proving that he should have been given a larger role, and more lattitude in NY. That extra PT would have helped. His brief start in the playoffs showed what Obi is capable of. Mostly more productive minutes.

Hope Thibs has a better touch with Jacob.

EwingPSD

12/4/2023  4:11 PM
Knixkik wrote:
EwingPSD wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

What sort of debt ? The Knicks gave him away. They could have just kept him as a backup. Knicks didn’t do him dirty or anything. He walked into a backup role and never even had any competition for it. Knicks only rostered 2 PFs his entire time here. I get he was positionally blocked here but not every lottery pick should expect a red carpet treatment. Knicks did him a huge favor.

When the Knicks selected Obi they were granted control over the first 4 years of his career. You don't have to like it but if a team selects a player in the draft lottery, that player performs pretty well and doesn't cause waves there is an expectation among players and agents across the league that the player will be given a legitimate opportunity. If you look at the list of players over the last 20 years that were selected top 10 the last 20 years and played less than Obi the best one was Jimmer and everyone was out of the league within 6 years. I am sorry but every lottery pick expects an opportunity.

About him being positionally blocked this thread restarted after a game where he both matched up with the traditional 3 that is a star and played small ball 5.

Why did we trade Obi Toppin ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy