[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why did we trade Obi Toppin ?
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

10/2/2023  1:03 PM
Dang...Frank, Knox, Obi. Knicks continue to swing and miss on top 10 picks. My dark horse for this season....I think Obi's brother makes the team. I think he will a be a Thibs guy. Not a scoring threat but he does everything else. If you love Josh Hart, you're going to love this kid. Perfect reserve player for this team that is weak at the wing. Should be better than Robey right out of the gate
AUTOADVERT
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
10/2/2023  1:11 PM
I get why we traded him. I don't get why you would hand him to the best pure point guard in the league, with a big that can shoot and floor spacing on the wings. It was a stupid trade, then and it's a stupid trade now.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/2/2023  1:16 PM
MS wrote:I get why we traded him. I don't get why you would hand him to the best pure point guard in the league, with a big that can shoot and floor spacing on the wings. It was a stupid trade, then and it's a stupid trade now.
what was the better move?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

10/2/2023  1:24 PM
Ah Obi regret again. We love the highlight dunker who doesn't do a whole lot else and doesn't apparently work on his game but, uh, don't particularly care for the hard working all star ahead of him. Anyway, everything that can be said has been said. It's now up to Obi to prove the Knicks braintrust wrong and we shall see.

And yes in retrospect it was another s#!tty lottery pick.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/2/2023  1:35 PM
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
FrenchKnicks wrote:I still don’t get it. Was that trade needed to get DiVincenzo ?
Was there a huge conflit with the coach or the front office after the playoffs ?
How did we end up getting ONLY a couple of 2nd rounders for a guy capable of scoring 35 when given the opportunity ?
Sorry this is old news but I was waiting for something else to happen at the PF spot for tahr trade to make sense… still waiting really.

Toppin would be out of the rotation and player relationships matter. Although the Knicks should have done a better job finding a player who is capable of filling his role even though they aren’t in the regular rotation. I’m surprised they didn’t bring back Taj Gibson. Someone like that.

Could be that Taj wanted a place where he could maybe get some minutes instead of being the locker room dad but I think the fact they didn't bring back Taj speaks to where the Knicks FO head is at

Is he going to get minutes in Washington? He got less minutes there last year than he did in previous years in NY.

MS
Member: #724
10/2/2023  1:40 PM
Not trading him to an up & coming young team.

Second rounders aren't super valuable, the pacers are going to be very good. Until Haliburton got injured they were right by us in the standings.

I know it was garbage time, but he can still score at a high clip.

I mean, Fournier, IHart, Obi for Ayton you could have probably done at worst and then rerouted Ayton if need be next year if we were going to go without a back up power forward.

blkexec
Member: #748
10/2/2023  1:54 PM
Why did we trade Obi? Because we were bored.

Who knows, he's gone now. And DDV is not a bad replacement.

My only issue is this. If fans gave Thibs fits over his rotations with Obi, what the hell is his rotation plan with DDV, who will demand more mins than Obi. Yes we all read the nice political article from DDV. But he's here to play and not sit next to EF or replace Rose DNPs or even play Obi's mins. DDV will play more mins than Obi did and everybody else mins will have to take a hit. Thats my fans view. But can't wait to see how Thibs manage this. Good to hear Grimes should not lose his starting roll. But I can see DDV finishing some games, with either Grimes or RJ (whoever has it rolling) will finish the 4th.

Can't wait to see the impacts from our upgraded guard defense, coached by Thibs (defensive coach).

IQ
Grimes
DDV
Hart

If I'm a guard playing against the knicks, I DON'T WANT THAT SMOKE.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/2/2023  2:28 PM
Knixkik wrote:
martin wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
FrenchKnicks wrote:I still don’t get it. Was that trade needed to get DiVincenzo ?
Was there a huge conflit with the coach or the front office after the playoffs ?
How did we end up getting ONLY a couple of 2nd rounders for a guy capable of scoring 35 when given the opportunity ?
Sorry this is old news but I was waiting for something else to happen at the PF spot for tahr trade to make sense… still waiting really.

Toppin would be out of the rotation and player relationships matter. Although the Knicks should have done a better job finding a player who is capable of filling his role even though they aren’t in the regular rotation. I’m surprised they didn’t bring back Taj Gibson. Someone like that.

Could be that Taj wanted a place where he could maybe get some minutes instead of being the locker room dad but I think the fact they didn't bring back Taj speaks to where the Knicks FO head is at

Is he going to get minutes in Washington? He got less minutes there last year than he did in previous years in NY.

You never know with roster changes and injury. Last year KP didn't miss his usual 30 games and they had Gafford and Hachimura.

This year no KP, Hachimura and Gafford already hurt.

If I was looking at the NY roster with Mitch, iHart and Randle (not to mention Sims), I'd guess very little time for Taj and so zero reason for him to be back if minutes were his thing.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
10/2/2023  2:32 PM
MS wrote:Not trading him to an up & coming young team.

Second rounders aren't super valuable, the pacers are going to be very good. Until Haliburton got injured they were right by us in the standings.

I mean, Fournier, IHart, Obi for Ayton you could have probably done at worst and then rerouted Ayton if need be next year if we were going to go without a back up power forward.

Literally any team in the NBA could have traded for Obi if they wanted him for more than 2 top 55 protected second round picks.

You might want to question why that is the case.

Knicks did him a solid. Sometimes you create your own luck and karma and hopefully that will be the case.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/2/2023  2:34 PM

So you have Ayton and Mitch on the same roster?

You don't trade him to Indy because your afraid of what he can do? If thats the case you keep him.

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

10/2/2023  2:41 PM
martin wrote:

Literally any team in the NBA could have traded for Obi if they wanted him for more than 2 top 55 protected second round picks.

Knicks did him a solid. Sometimes you create your own luck and karma and hopefully that will be the case.

Holy moly both seconds are top 55 protected ?

martin
USA
10/2/2023  2:57 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/2/2023  2:58 PM
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:

That was me just being facetious. But they are crap picks worthy of nothing, unless you are drafting Jericho Sims.

Obi was given away. But that also reflected his collective value, give or take.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/2/2023  3:36 PM
martin wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:

That was me just being facetious. But they are crap picks worthy of nothing, unless you are drafting Jericho Sims.

We could've flipped him for Duarte to be our third string power forward
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

10/2/2023  4:31 PM
martin wrote:

The luck and karma of him coming to MSG and lighting us up for 40+. With the added satisfaction that it was of our own creation.

Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

10/2/2023  4:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/2/2023  4:39 PM
Well what if Obi scores 49 against us but the Knicks wins by 10, would that make Thibs right ?
EwingPSD
Member: #9129

10/2/2023  4:44 PM
martin wrote:

Very few teams had the cap to absorb Toppin's contract without sending back an equal salary and the Knicks would have exceeded the luxury tax if they took on another contract. His trade value probably wasn't something to brag about but they likely could have done a little better if they took on a player.

EwingPSD
Member: #9129

10/2/2023  4:49 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/2/2023  4:51 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Alpha1971 wrote:
martin wrote:

We could've flipped him for Duarte to be our third string power forward

I think we traded him for the seconds Indy got when they traded Duarte. I am sure if they could have gotten someone good they would have taken back salary but based on what they could get it seems like they weren't willing to take on a player and settled for the 2nds. Sending Obi to a preferred destination after a less-than-player-friendly investment in a guy they chose probably also played a role

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/2/2023  5:07 PM
9th guy, worst player in the rotation. Not the outcome you wanted from the lottery pick but that part is offset by other players development exceeding expectations
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

10/2/2023  5:10 PM
fishmike wrote:9th guy, worst player in the rotation. Not the outcome you wanted from the lottery pick but that part is offset by other players development exceeding expectations

Yep.

ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
10/2/2023  6:55 PM
That's got to slow him down.

Why did we trade Obi Toppin ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy