[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why did we trade Obi Toppin ?
Author Thread
FrenchKnicks
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #147
France
10/1/2023  6:43 PM
I still don’t get it. Was that trade needed to get DiVincenzo ?
Was there a huge conflit with the coach or the front office after the playoffs ?
How did we end up getting ONLY a couple of 2nd rounders for a guy capable of scoring 35 when given the opportunity ?
Sorry this is old news but I was waiting for something else to happen at the PF spot for tahr trade to make sense… still waiting really.
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/1/2023  6:48 PM
Yes, Obi got into it big time with Thibs after the Knicks were eliminated. I wanted Obi to get more minutes, wasnt going to happen as long as Thibs is coach. Dont believe he wanted the FO to draft Obi to begin with.
Alpha1971
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #9006

10/1/2023  8:21 PM
Hopeful that the team is legitimately high on Isiah Roby whom they signed at the end of last season. The team has not brought in another PF to replace Obi, so maybe they are high on him. For me Obi was a potential 20 pt scorer but his run in with Thibs sealed his fate.
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
10/1/2023  8:30 PM
The guy always had a smile on his face. Nearly blew the roof off the garden on numerous occasions. Career high 42. For a short while was looking like our best three point shooter.

But those two second rounds picks are sweet!

I think in the end it was All NBA Randle, financials, and doing Obi a solid that landed him with the Pacers.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Obi does with big minutes. Hard not to root for the guy.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/1/2023  9:27 PM
FrenchKnicks wrote:I still don’t get it. Was that trade needed to get DiVincenzo ?
Was there a huge conflit with the coach or the front office after the playoffs ?
How did we end up getting ONLY a couple of 2nd rounders for a guy capable of scoring 35 when given the opportunity ?
Sorry this is old news but I was waiting for something else to happen at the PF spot for tahr trade to make sense… still waiting really.

He becomes unrestricted next summer. it was **** or get off the pot time for all. He could not beat out Randle and its not like the Knicks did not try to get best value for him. There was just so much other teams were going to pay for him. Remember, that draft was in oct, not June.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/1/2023  9:28 PM
Obi is a PF.

He was not a good defender (interior or on the wing), not a good shooter, not a good rebounder.

He was good at leaping, dunking, and leaking out in transition. The same things he was good at in college.

Didn’t seem to shape his body differently in 3+ years.

He was a National player of the year and showed up to the NBA with the confidence level of a virgin freshman still wearing bracing who just got asked to the senior prom by the Mary and the only thing he did that night was zip his pants up thru his ballsack. No first base or second base or third, just ballsack and the quivering need to hide his face for weeks on end.

Knicks would have needed to start his next contract negotiations.

Knicks did him a solid moving him so he could get playing time.

We wished for more from him and wish him well. God speed.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
10/1/2023  9:31 PM
martin wrote:Obi is a PF.

He was not a good defender (interior or on the wing), not a good shooter, not a good rebounder.

He was good at leaping, dunking, and leaking out in transition. The same things he was good at in college.

He was a National player of the year and showed up to the NBA with the confidence level of a virgin freshman still wearing bracing who just got asked to the senior prom by the Mary and the only thing he did that night was zip his pants up thru his ballsack. No first base or second base or third, just ballsack and the quivering need to hide his face for weeks on end.

Mary and the ball sack. where did that come from?

martin
USA
10/1/2023  9:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2023  9:37 PM
Nalod wrote:

There’s Something About Mary?

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

10/1/2023  9:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2023  10:49 PM
We all loved Obi and had big expectations for him, but the only trade the Knicks could make was for two heavily protected 2nd round picks, more or less guaranteed to be at the end of the draft. NBA.is harsh. It seems like all of us strongly overvalued Obi.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/1/2023  9:43 PM
What I want to know is who is going to play when Randle has 8 games on the DL?
martin
USA
10/1/2023  9:44 PM
Panos wrote:What I want to know is who is going to play when Randle has 8 games on the DL?

Fuck that, Thibs gonna make Randle still play

jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
10/1/2023  10:42 PM

This almost reads like an obituary... hoping he rises from the dead in Indiana

Nalod
USA
10/2/2023  5:51 AM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Did not know it was part of "quotable culture" but glad it was not autobiographical.
Cameron Diaz was a lovely starlet for a good long run.

Nalod
USA
10/2/2023  5:54 AM
Panos wrote:What I want to know is who is going to play when Randle has 8 games on the DL?

Isiah Robey?
The job is open. Josh and RJ can also play some there.
So can IHart.
Roster is not set and a small trade can also be accomplished during camp or midyear if it don't work.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/2/2023  6:53 AM
Nalod wrote:
Isiah Robey?
So can IHart.
Roster is not set and a small trade can also be accomplished during camp or midyear if it don't work.

I'm not expecting any significant minutes from Roby.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/2/2023  9:05 AM
FrenchKnicks wrote:I still don’t get it. Was that trade needed to get DiVincenzo ?

Toppin would be out of the rotation and player relationships matter. Although the Knicks should have done a better job finding a player who is capable of filling his role even though they aren’t in the regular rotation. I’m surprised they didn’t bring back Taj Gibson. Someone like that.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
10/2/2023  9:38 AM
It was a dumb trade and we are going to really miss Obi. He fit really well with that second unit and sparked a lot of runs that led to wins. We just played better with him in the lineup. We do not have anyone on the roster with his energy and athleticism and if Randle gets hurt, we have nobody to plug into that position either.
Nalod
USA
10/2/2023  9:43 AM
Panos wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Isiah Robey?
So can IHart.

I'm not expecting any significant minutes from Roby.

Obi did not play significant minutes either. He was a role player who moved on because he is locked behind Randle and his value is stunted because of it. He'll get a chance in Indy.

You asked a question and I simply gave an opinion that he will compete for that role.
In a world were the answers lie in the future all we can do is guess.
DDV and him are the only POTENTIAL rotation players added to the roster this off season.

Roby is not not the same player as OBI but he won't be expensive, had range, and has a story.
This is about a 25 year old who had one good run in OKC and got squeezed by the ever expanding young roster they are in the process of. With Pop in SAS he worked on his game and word is he is ready to assume a steady role. His deal is not guaranteed so he'll have to earn it, or any roster spot.
Do I expect much? I don't know. But there is a path and at this moment knicks have not made any deals to fill the role.
Thibs wanted this guy and it cost us nothing.

Given the last few years, I expected little from IQ, Grimes, iHart and Sims. They have proved well. I have a lot of confidence in this FO and coaching staff. Will they wiff on some? of course they will. But my confidence is high that these "Wiffs" are also opportunities and not all execute as hoped. That was OBI. Even if he did the hope would have been his trade value would be high. At the same time, Mitch, IQ or Grimes likley exceeded their draft position.

martin
USA
10/2/2023  10:26 AM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Did not know it was part of "quotable culture" but glad it was not autobiographical.
Cameron Diaz was a lovely starlet for a good long run.

Ha yes, my reference might have been a bit too vague

martin
USA
10/2/2023  10:28 AM
Knixkik wrote:

Toppin would be out of the rotation and player relationships matter. Although the Knicks should have done a better job finding a player who is capable of filling his role even though they aren’t in the regular rotation. I’m surprised they didn’t bring back Taj Gibson. Someone like that.

Could be that Taj wanted a place where he could maybe get some minutes instead of being the locker room dad but I think the fact they didn't bring back Taj speaks to where the Knicks FO head is at

Why did we trade Obi Toppin ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy