[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2023-2024 NBA news and non Knick Schtick......
Author Thread
nycericanguy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #9127

2/29/2024  9:31 AM
how is RJ all of a sudden shooting 56% for TOR.

Him and IQ are really starting to show out and win some games.

AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/29/2024  12:01 PM
I think simple explanation is he gets to be the primary person driving into the lane and shooting shots in the paint. He is inefficient on jumpers / 3 balls, but he gets to take shots now in a more advantageous location for his efficiency. With Randle AND Brunson here, he didn't get to operate in the areas he likes to operate in as often (except when he led the 2nd unit). Because of that, he was forced into more shots outside his comfort zone.

On top of that, despite shooting fewer overall 3pt shots, he's also in a stretch where he's hitting a much higher % than his career norm.

Different question - does a a more efficient RJ as a lead scorer lead you towards winning more ballgames?

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/29/2024  12:01 PM
nycericanguy wrote:how is RJ all of a sudden shooting 56% for TOR.

I think simple explanation is he gets to be the primary person driving into the lane and shooting shots in the paint. He is inefficient on jumpers / 3 balls, but he gets to take shots now in a more advantageous location for his efficiency. With Randle AND Brunson here, he didn't get to operate in the areas he likes to operate in as often (except when he led the 2nd unit). Because of that, he was forced into more shots outside his comfort zone.

On top of that, despite shooting fewer overall 3pt shots, he's also in a stretch where he's hitting a much higher % than his career norm.

Different question - does a a more efficient RJ as a lead scorer lead you towards winning more ballgames?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/29/2024  12:13 PM
VDesai wrote:I think simple explanation is he gets to be the primary person driving into the lane and shooting shots in the paint. He is inefficient on jumpers / 3 balls, but he gets to take shots now in a more advantageous location for his efficiency. With Randle AND Brunson here, he didn't get to operate in the areas he likes to operate in as often (except when he led the 2nd unit). Because of that, he was forced into more shots outside his comfort zone.

Fair takes

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
nycericanguy
Member: #9127

2/29/2024  12:26 PM
VDesai wrote:

good post and its why I always felt we should have built around RJ & Brunson instead of Randle. They played well together in the playoffs. RJ already had a better playoff at age 22, and was locked up long term.

IDK, have a bad feeling we are going to look back and say "wow we had Brunson, RJ and IQ on the same team and broke it up".

Probably worse than DAL breaking up Luka, Brunson and KP.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/29/2024  12:38 PM
nycericanguy wrote:
VDesai wrote:

good post and its why I always felt we should have built around RJ & Brunson instead of Randle. They played well together in the playoffs. RJ already had a better playoff at age 22, and was locked up long term.

IDK, have a bad feeling we are going to look back and say "wow we had Brunson, RJ and IQ on the same team and broke it up".

Probably worse than DAL breaking up Luka, Brunson and KP.

I don't know. From a positional standpoint, RJ is easier to replace. Even with his improved play with Toronto, he scales to a solid starting NBA wing. I'm not saying it's not a big loss, because the team could use some shot creation right now. But OG is still a better fit for Thibs wants to do right now. As for Dallas and KP, KP was never going to thrive with Luka the way he has with Boston. Dallas treated KP's paint touches as nuisances to Luka's creation, while the Celts actively look for matchups for KP to exploit.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/29/2024  1:19 PM
The play I saw in January were we were destroying the league was pretty convincing to the vision of what Thibs wants to do.
I RJ over Randle? Well over the years Jules surged beyond what was expected. At the Same time RJ did not really become the Maple Mamba.
Hell of a kid, and still has upside. But All NBA? Randle is top 5 PF in the league. He has improved in many way unless one is fixated on the ATL series or his ankle injury last year.
Then he is dog meat.
RJ was wildly inconsistent last year and showed up nice for part of the playoffs last year. He did just fine "Redeeming" his play.
As most know I was a big fan of the kid.
But.......OG fits really well.
As for his injury history we just have to see how RJ holds up and OG as well.
IQ with Brunson playing way above expectations really has no path here and paying him 20mil or more to come off the bench does seem expensive.
DDV also is a better fit and shooting great FOR THE MONEY.

As for Jules returning this season? Im not optimistic if he does he can sustain the shoulder even if he plays great.
Doors close on IQ/Grimes/RJ and others are opening for OG and our new old guys in Bojan and Burkes.
And doors open for things we can' t really imagine!!!!

Clean
Member: #743
3/3/2024  5:19 PM
These Celtics are a huge problem. Sometimes I think teams don't think of how the teams they are trading with are benefitting from the trade. How did they get KP and Jrue. That was exactly what they needed and now they are on a different level than the rest of the NBA outside of some exceptions. Injury might be the only hope to beat them in a 7 game series for most of the NBA.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/3/2024  6:13 PM
Clean wrote:These Celtics are a huge problem. Sometimes I think teams don't think of how the teams they are trading with are benefitting from the trade. How did they get KP and Jrue. That was exactly what they needed and now they are on a different level than the rest of the NBA outside of some exceptions. Injury might be the only hope to beat them in a 7 game series for most of the NBA.

martin
USA
3/3/2024  11:54 PM
End of era

Nalod
USA
3/4/2024  8:49 AM
Bucks won 5 in a row.
Seems Thibs is fighting to keep this seed as hard as possible.
That he is keeping the wheels on during this injury streak is admirable.
Orlando is making noise and gaining on us.
With Barnes now out RJ and IQ are the option 1 and 2. It was not about the stats right, it was about fit? RJ and Randle were not compatible?
martin
USA
3/5/2024  1:59 PM
This could be not good for Philly

martin
USA
3/5/2024  2:07 PM
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
3/6/2024  9:04 AM
martin wrote:

Why couldn't we get Delon Wright and Patty Mills??

Nalod
USA
3/6/2024  9:15 AM
SergioNYK wrote:
martin wrote:

Why couldn't we get Delon Wright and Patty Mills??

Mills is a wee bit of a man and perhaps his defense/size was the issue.
Its also possible he was given a better path to play given Lowery is gone? Knicks once full strength perhaps Thibs is set to play Deuce off the bench at Pg.
Shake is a youngish playoff experienced guard that did well in Philly with some size.
Maybe Mills was discussed and it was publicized?

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/6/2024  9:48 AM
This is just so they can trade him to us in the summer.

martin
USA
3/6/2024  11:05 AM
MaTT4281 wrote:This is just so they can trade him to us in the summer.

martin
USA
3/6/2024  12:07 PM
I def missed boat on this guy

martin
USA
3/6/2024  12:58 PM
Nalod
USA
3/6/2024  4:03 PM
martin wrote:I def missed boat on this guy

Wasn't that one of Briggs guys?

2023-2024 NBA news and non Knick Schtick......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy