[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dedicated to the unstoppableness that was, is Stephon Marbury
Author Thread
bsw3
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #589
11/22/2004  7:18 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20021129/SASPHO/recap.html

http://www.joenetsfan.com/NetsSeason2000_2001/Gamex2000_2001Files/joe_netsfan_gamex_game52.html

Some of you don't really know how good Stephon can be. Now, you've seen games like his 38 this year and his 40 against the clips last year (oh yeah, and when he dropped 43 on the knicks in 02-03 with the suns) but you may not know how much of an offensive force he is. In 02-03 he was almost unstoppable the second half of the year. If you look at the box scored for those suns games his point totals will read something like 33, 36, 32, 43 for certain stretches. But the best example was in 00-01 when he was with the nets. He was the only offensive option on that team and the best games that come to mind are when he dropped 50 on the lakers right after the all-star break which is up there (the look on his face after he hit his second three in the last minute of the game is priceless) or the game when he scored 41 on the sonics against what was then considered the premeire defensive point guard Gary Payton. not to mention, it only took him three quarters. This is just a thread dedicated to the Star Child, and all his scoring glory.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/22/2004  7:50 PM
how many playoff games as he won? how come the suns are cruising with steve nash instead of marbury with basically the same team?

RIP Crushalot😞
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/22/2004  8:16 PM
In fairness, Richardson is a better 2 guard than they had, and Stoudamire has taken his game to another level.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
11/22/2004  8:55 PM
yeah...i drink marBERRY juice too, there is a difference between the old steph and the new. bare in mind that steph went to college for only one year. you lose out on alot of knowledge and what would be expierience if you stay to learn.(particularly the point.)
my point is that it's taken marbury some time to learn to make his team better. there's no doubt he had in him, it was all about getting it out on the court. now he knows it's not all about (breakin' ankles ) and droppin' 40 or 50. it's about helping your team help you. now as the leader or *captain* he's learned to do that.
it also helps to have vetaran help, not a bunch of rok's that are still wet behind the ears........stoudamire/martin. not to mention the fact that he played w/the nets pre-jeferson, and he's obviously a key player on that team.
i personally think it was a combonation of the two. it was steph's long drawn out growing process, and the fact he had hardly any veteran experience to work with. i've even heard in the past that he's a ballhog. how? i have NO idea. he's never avg'd less than 7ast per.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/22/2004  9:07 PM
Posted by Rich:

In fairness, Richardson is a better 2 guard than they had, and Stoudamire has taken his game to another level.

q-rich isnt very good,he sure isnt helping the team to win. the differnce in that team is that steve nash is a better fit than marbury hes playing like the MVP. right now he is so far above any other PG including wade and marbury that it really isnt close.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/22/2004  9:15 PM
Briggs, your off target on this one. Marbury did lead the Suns to the playoffs where they nearly upset the Spurs in 6 games when he totally outplayed Tony Parker. The next year they lost Amare (the real MVP of that team) to an early injury and never got back on track. As for Richardson he might be the strongest 2 guard in the NBA. This guy is a beast and a heck of a player. His shot has been off but the guy is good.

Nash is good but Dal has been just as good so far with Devin HArris. The Suns are Amare.. plain and simple.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/22/2004  9:39 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Briggs, your off target on this one. Marbury did lead the Suns to the playoffs where they nearly upset the Spurs in 6 games when he totally outplayed Tony Parker. The next year they lost Amare (the real MVP of that team) to an early injury and never got back on track. As for Richardson he might be the strongest 2 guard in the NBA. This guy is a beast and a heck of a player. His shot has been off but the guy is good.

Nash is good but Dal has been just as good so far with Devin HArris. The Suns are Amare.. plain and simple.
Yeah, seriously, anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that Amare is a completely different player than he was his rookie year with Steph or while he was on the injured list for most of the games Steph played with the Suns last year. Briggs, was it Steph's fault that Amare was averaging 0 PPG while on the injured list last year??
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
11/22/2004  10:42 PM
You know, the suns, like the sonics, are one of those teams that you can't explain. When your core of Joe Johnson, Amare, and Matrix have been around each other for a few years, sometimes good things just end up happening. It's definitely not the "marbury the ***hole pg vs nashy the perfect pg," no way. The 3 for them (besides nash and qrich) are really reaching their primes and to expect less at this point would be a bit disappointing with their gamble on "now" contract with nash and run and gun offense. We'll see how the suns do in the playoffs though, I'll leave it at that...
http://allknicks.com
Stevo718
Member: #559
11/22/2004  11:18 PM
I was checking out Marbury's stats and I was a little surprised to see he was averaging close to 20 a game, I thought he was closer to like 16-17.

I've noticed he has had a lot of quiet 20 point games and I think that's a good thing, Duncan and Garnett are other players that when you look up at the boxscore and see 20 you wonder when the hell did they score 20?

But anyways what I am trying to say is that Marbury is taking less shots and is making a higher percentage of shots so far. If this pace continues he will take about 300 less shots then what he averages every year. But he will still average 20 points a game.

I think he is definitely a different player from a year ago. You can also tell just by watching that his first priority is to get other people in the game. But when he sees an easy basket he will take the shot or drive.

I think by the end of the year Marbury will run this unit tight.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
11/23/2004  3:16 AM
Posted by Stevo718:

I think he is definitely a different player from a year ago. You can also tell just by watching that his first priority is to get other people in the game.

exactly, and it's what we needed. I'm sure he's entering his prime, ala jason kidd when he arrived in NJ. At that time, kiddd hadn't won anything yet and look at him now, he's regarded as a winner.

same will soon apply to stephon.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/23/2004  7:45 AM
Ok folks, it is not how you start, but how you finish. Let's see how far the Suns get this season with Nash before you can start comparing. Nash is a baller, but in my opinion, Marburry is better. Once he develop the trust that he needs on his players, which will be soon, watch out.
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/23/2004  9:35 AM
yeah...i drink marBERRY juice too

woah, way too much info there.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/23/2004  11:50 AM
Here is a quote from KT from NYKnicks.com

Kurt Thomas
On Stephon Marbury: He is our general out there and he gets everyone involved. He really tries to get Jamal (Crawford) and Tim (Thomas) involved early and then everyone else just feeds off of that.

I like it.
Dedicated to the unstoppableness that was, is Stephon Marbury

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy