[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Ron Artest Out For Season (would you trade for him?)
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/22/2004  5:05 PM

No way, he cannot be trusted.

Spree and spree problems are night and day.

Ron is a good guy, and the passion thing is cool, but come crunch time, when most schvintktrs tighten up and choke, this guy comes undone. Sorry, I'd pass on him.
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/22/2004  5:45 PM
No, not now.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

11/22/2004  7:27 PM
I would give up just about anything for artest except marbury
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/22/2004  7:38 PM
Posted by Elite:

I would give up just about anything for artest except marbury
I wouldn't trade Marbury or Crawford for him, but anyone else I would. But not until this summer. It would be awful publicity right now (although we might be able to get him cheaper now).
knixphan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #258
Switzerland
11/22/2004  8:07 PM
I kinda agree that now would be a good time to stay hands-off...as much as I like the idea of an all-hometown squad...If getting a home-towner is that important, I'd go for Odom before Artest...But I also agree that we need a center first and foremost.
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/22/2004  9:46 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Ron is a good guy, and the passion thing is cool, but come crunch time, when most schvintktrs tighten up and choke, this guy comes undone. Sorry, I'd pass on him.

Layden passed on him and you almost hd a heart attack. Layden's scouts probaly did their homework on Ron before draft. Imagine him in NY as a rookie with his QueensbridgePosse, what we saw with Ron Artest this pass weekend could have easily been accelerated by him starting out in NEW YORK CITY and playing for the Knicks!
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/22/2004  9:55 PM
Posted by playa2:
Posted by Nalod:

Layden passed on him and you almost hd a heart attack. Layden's scouts probaly did their homework on Ron before draft. Imagine him in NY as a rookie with his QueensbridgePosse, what we saw with Ron Artest this pass weekend could have easily been accelerated by him starting out in NEW YORK CITY and playing for the Knicks!

how many times do we have to correct this one? Who was the GM in charge when Weis was drafted? Hint: it was not Layden.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Stevo718
Member: #559
11/22/2004  10:52 PM
Artest in New Yawk?!!? Hell yeah, no doubt about it.

When it's a player like Artest you have to make that trade. Artest can almost single handedly make your team a defensive team. How many players can do that? Not many, some names that pop out are Wallace, Duncan and Shaq.

Especially when Indiana will most likely pursue trade options. It might have to involve a third team but I would give up anyone cept Marbury and Crawford for him.

Playing for the Knicks would be great for us and his career. If I was Artest I would request to Bird a trade to NY, imagine the endorsement deals he would get.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/22/2004  11:17 PM
Sports Guy's thoughts on the brawl, and more importantly, Artest to the Knicks:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/cowbell/041122

14. Don't count out the Ewing Theory with the Pacers and Artest. You only need 35 wins to make the playoffs in the Trainwreck East. And if you're worried about the Pacers competing with a depleted team, as Chad Ford points out in today's column, they still have some cap money left for free agents, plus they can always find someone dumb enough to give them fair value for Artest -- you know, like Isiah Thomas, for instance. If they can remain within striking distance in March and get everyone healthy and unsuspended, there's no reason the Ewing Theory couldn't carry them from there.

Still, the Pacers need to move Artest -- get 50 cents on the dollar for him, give him a fresh start somewhere else, and that's that. Larry Bird is smart enough to know that Artest's presence on his team, from this point on, will overshadow everything they do. They also need to get help immediately for him before the season possibly slips away.

But who would have the intestinal fortitude to trade for a guy who's clearly one of the best 25 guys in the league?

Three teams make sense but would be too afraid to pull the trigger:

A. Portland -- Something like Artest, Scot Pollard, Anthony Johnson and a No. 1 for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. Doesn't it seem like his destiny to play there? Unfortunately, after everything Portland fans have gone through, the Blazers would probably rather trade for Scott Peterson.

B. Boston -- Artest and a No. 1 for Jiri Welsch and Yogi Stewart. Unfortunately, the local media would skewer the Celtics for this one ... so it's not happening. Red Auerbach would have made this trade though. He's the same guy who traded for Kermit Washington 27 years ago.

C. Memphis -- Artest, Johnson and a No. 1 for Bonzi Wells. Indy gets another scorer, Jerry West gets another potential All-Star. But he would never subject Hubie Brown to the Artest Era, not at Hubie's advanced age.

That leaves the following teams:

A. Philly -- Artest and Pollard for Glenn Robinson. Basically a straightforward salary dump -- Robinson's contract expires this summer. And if there's one city that would embrace Artest and forgive his past mistakes, it's Philly.

B. Dallas -- If Artest's suspension was cut down, couldn't you see the Benefactor rolling the dice with Artest, Pollard and a No. 1 for Jerry Stackhouse and cap filler? Remember, this is the same man who once shelled out $100 million for Raef LaFrentz and Shawn Bradley. Anything's possible.

C. New York -- Artest, Pollard and a No. 1 for Tim Thomas. Isiah coached Artest, knows what he can do, played with people like him, would love the fact that it would get the city talking ... and considering that New York is the same city that embraced Sprewell five years ago, the thought of Artest thriving in Manhattan doesn't seem far-fetched. I bet anything he lands here.

------------

I would trade Artest for Tim Thomas RIGHT NOW. And I still like Tim Thomas.
¿ △ ?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/23/2004  12:09 AM
wow, this amazes me that more and more people would trade Artest for very little. Bill Simmons is suggesting the likes of Artest, #1 for TT.

I guess I may be in the minority.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Rich
USA
11/23/2004  1:06 AM
Posted by martin:

wow, this amazes me that more and more people would trade Artest for very little. Bill Simmons is suggesting the likes of Artest, #1 for TT.

I'm skeptical that Artest will learn his lesson from this incident. I think his anger management problem will be with him until the day he dies, or is too old and weak to act out.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/23/2004  1:16 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by martin:

I'm skeptical that Artest will learn his lesson from this incident. I think his anger management problem will be with him until the day he dies, or is too old and weak to act out.

I somewhat agree. I remember when the Knicks traded Anthony Mason, I had several friends (Knicks fans) who were very upset. I tried to tell them it was addition by subtraction. That has to be what the Pacers are thinking right now.
¿ △ ?
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

11/23/2004  1:54 AM
GET HIM AT ALL COSTS U GUYS ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND THIS GUY IS ONE OF THE TOP 10 or 15 PLAYERS IN THE NBA GET HIM GET HIM GET HIM NO MATTER WAT!!!!!
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
11/23/2004  2:02 AM
I agree, I think Indiana would bite on a Tim Thomas/Nazr Mohammed for Ron Artest/Scot Pollard deal.

They have to be shopping him for less after this, I wonder if Philly offers Big Dog?
#Knickstaps
Rich
USA
11/23/2004  2:10 AM
MSG's "Sportsdesk" reports that he said he could be back for the playoffs. Is that true? If I was Stern, I wouldn't let him play.
Ira
Member: #91
11/23/2004  4:44 AM
I'd seriously consider some of the deals mentioned - especially Thomas for Artest if the Artest would recognize that he has problems and get help for those problems.
Rich
USA
11/23/2004  7:13 AM
Posted by Ira:

I'd seriously consider some of the deals mentioned - especially Thomas for Artest if the Artest would recognize that he has problems and get help for those problems.

Posted - 11/23/2004 : 07:13:14 Show Profile Edit Message Reply with Quote Delete Reply

quote:Originally posted by Ira:

Yeah, I guess if it was TT for Artest straight up (I can't imagine that happening), and he went through bona fide, intensive anger management, I would do the deal.

FWIW, Bird called Artest one of the ten best players in the game on ESPN
MS
Member: #724
11/23/2004  9:28 AM
Honestly you really need to evaluate the situation, does it matter if we trade for Artest, would you really not want him.

1. He's crazy we all agree, but Latrell was just as crazy he never game to games on time, tried to kill Jerome Kersey with a 2by4, and choaked his coach.

2. We traded Chris Mills, Starks, and Cummings? There is no way Bird will accept Simmons proposal unless TT really stars waking up, and I am willing to bet there is a better off out there.

But Artest is from the city, and never went off the deep end in college except for throwing the game vs. Ohio State in the Sweet 16.

Ariza is good we all agree, and we all believe he can be an all-star but Artest is one of the 10 best players in the NBA, one of the better 2 way players in the league, and would give us something we haven't had in a while a defender. And if we can get him you get him, no matter what. The Knicks don't have pieces that can win us a championship so Isiah needs to try. His contract is extremely resonable, his upside is endless. Even though he is crazy bringing him back to the Garden may do him some good.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/23/2004  9:40 AM
I saw an interview with him where he discussed his refusal take take medication to control his temper.In my unprofessional opinion its pretty obvious he needs to be on something and until he does I wouldnt want to even consider bringing him to NY.

Medication can also work against Artest because he thrives on intensity and medication my dull what he uses to play at such a high level.

Its all guesswork of course but Id rather see Isiah get someone who may not be as good as Artest but doesnt have the capacity to seriously hurt a franchise the way Artest has.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 11/23/2004 09:43:25]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/23/2004  10:24 AM
My vote would be no on Artest. It was discussed all summer how he didn't show up against Detroit when that series was on the line. Then starts this season off by saying he wants a month off. Keeps talking about his desire to retire. Then does an incredibly dumb-azz thing to ensure he gets a lot more than a month off. I take this guy at his word and actions that he doesn't really want to play and doesn't know how to get out of it. I hope the guy finds his peace somehow but my belief is his infusion of talent would be more than offset by the instability he'd bring to this Knick club.
Ron Artest Out For Season (would you trade for him?)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy