[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why is Azira's minutes cut?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/22/2004  8:43 AM

Would it be to just let Gay-Z get his shlt together on the floor?

I have not seen the last two complete games so I can't comment on the sub pattern or his play.

I can understand this for a few reasons, Gay-z has no trade value unless he does somthing postitive. And he is not worth anything to us either.

I was wondering if he has a slight injury, or if any of the faithful have any observations.
AUTOADVERT
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/22/2004  8:56 AM
Gazy only played 26 mins. I guess Penny got his minutes (24), cuz Marbs and Crawford played practically the whole game.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/22/2004  9:21 AM
Penny was playing great last night, that's probably why Ariza didn't get as many minutes.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/22/2004  9:22 AM
who says he's ever had set minutes? I think it just depends on the matchups. Lenny plays Ariza, Sweetney, JYD and Penny. How many minutes each guy gets is really just based on who's hot and the matchups. Ariza is just in a crowded spot, but Lenny always goes to him. Also he's still learning and makes a lot of rookie mistakes.

He's fine and its obvious the Knicks are commited to him.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/22/2004  10:06 AM
Penny and JYD are playing very well. Ariza's minutes will be inconsistent his rookie year most likely. As long as we win, that's fine with me. It'll actually just drive down his stats and his free agent price in the summer.
CTKnicksfan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #572
11/22/2004  10:50 AM
When Houston comes back, assuming he can play at least 25-30 mpg there will be serious playing time issues for someone. There are 144 minutes at the 1-3 positions during a game.

Marbury 39
Crawford 35
Houston 30
TT 25
Ariza 15

No room for Penny or JYD at the 3 at all, (forget about Moochie, Brewer, etc.)
You could theoretically cut 5 minutes from Marbs, Craw, and H20 and give them to Penny, but I'm not sure that's putting the best team out there. Next year, or at the deadline, TT or Penny can and should be traded to reduce the logjam and get help for the frontcourt.

Another option would be playing TT at the 4 at times, but that's not a good matchup on most nights. Who's more overmatched - H20 at the 3 or TT at the 4?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/22/2004  10:57 AM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

When Houston comes back, assuming he can play at least 25-30 mpg there will be serious playing time issues for someone. There are 144 minutes at the 1-3 positions during a game.

Marbury 39
Crawford 35
Houston 30
TT 25
Ariza 15

You could theoretically cut 5 minutes from Marbs, Craw, and H20 and give them to Penny, but I'm not sure that's putting the best team out there. Next year, or at the deadline, TT or Penny can and should be traded to reduce the logjam and get help for the frontcourt.

Another option would be playing TT at the 4 at times, but that's not a good matchup on most nights. Who's more overmatched - H20 at the 3 or TT at the 4?

I see 3 guards at the 1 and 2: Hou, Marb, Craw. I am guessing that Marb and Craw will get about 35 minutes a game, depending if Houston get hot or not, or if Craw gets hot at the 2. Realistically, Houston won't get more than 20 minutes a game for a LONG time.

Expect TT to start at the 3 and minutes to be given based on match-up and how players are grooving. At the 3: Penny, TT, Ariza, JYD.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
11/22/2004  11:42 AM
its going to be a log jam and the guy thats probably going to take the biggest hit is Penny which is unfair as he's played very well. I think Lenny is commited to playing Ariza twice a game. That can translate into 10 minutes, it could mean 25, depending on what happens. Right now Lenny is playing 9 and doing a good job of it. The problem has been Crawford and Marbury's play has been excellent, but a little extra rest will help w/ Marbury's defense
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/22/2004  12:03 PM
I like the way Penny looked at the point...It looks like when you put him in a scorers position (2 or 3) he pushes his own offense a little too much. Allan can definately play the three...I think that this injury is going to cause him to change his game...he will still be a shooter, but I also think that he will contibute more in other areas, too. When his shot isn't falling, I think that he may concentrate on his defense more...also, at SF, Allan may be better defensively by default. He is a bigger guard, and is not too fast. Most SG's are alot faster than SF's......look at most of the SF's in the league....the only problems that Allan may have are the guys everyone has a problem with....
Marion, Walker, Garnett, Kirilinko, Odom to a degree, KVH (because of height). LA is getting away with Maggette at SF and he is only 6-6 or 6-7. Houston can definatley get it done at SF, IMO....
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
USA
11/22/2004  12:15 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Right now Lenny is playing 9 and doing a good job of it.

wow, at his age that's truly amazing!
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/22/2004  12:16 PM
Posted by joec32033:

I like the way Penny looked at the point...It looks like when you put him in a scorers position (2 or 3) he pushes his own offense a little too much. Allan can definately play the three...I think that this injury is going to cause him to change his game...he will still be a shooter, but I also think that he will contibute more in other areas, too. When his shot isn't falling, I think that he may concentrate on his defense more...also, at SF, Allan may be better defensively by default. He is a bigger guard, and is not too fast. Most SG's are alot faster than SF's......look at most of the SF's in the league....the only problems that Allan may have are the guys everyone has a problem with....
Marion, Walker, Garnett, Kirilinko, Odom to a degree, KVH (because of height). LA is getting away with Maggette at SF and he is only 6-6 or 6-7. Houston can definatley get it done at SF, IMO....

Huh? Houston at SF? WOW, the logic is way off the mark.

You said that IF Houston's shot is off you wouldn't mind keeping him at the 3 because he would be OK defensively? WHAT?! Houston can't defend my MOM. Why would he be able to handle any offensive minded SF? And you would do this at the expense of not playing JYD or Ariza or TT?

Houston is a shooting guard, nothing more. It is also ridiculous to think that this guy will be able to play significant minutes at all this season per game. He is not that good of a passer, not a good rebounder, not really good at steals. So, why play him at anything but the 2?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
USA
11/22/2004  12:18 PM
if the Knicks go to a zone more, i can easily see Houston playing the 3.
fishmike
USA
11/22/2004  12:34 PM
I'm sure thats part of the reason Lenny is working with it. You have to find a way to get your best players on the court and Houston is one of them. The guy puts the ball in the bucket, plain and simple. He will get too many easy shots playing with Crawford and Marbury. You have to find a way to get him out there and force the other team to adjust.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/22/2004  12:35 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by joec32033:

Huh? Houston at SF? WOW, the logic is way off the mark.

You said that IF Houston's shot is off you wouldn't mind keeping him at the 3 because he would be OK defensively? WHAT?! Houston can't defend my MOM. Why would he be able to handle any offensive minded SF? And you would do this at the expense of not playing JYD or Ariza or TT?

Houston is a shooting guard, nothing more. It is also ridiculous to think that this guy will be able to play significant minutes at all this season per page. He is not that good of a passer, not a good rebounder, not really good at steals. So, why play him at anything but the 2?

No...it's not off the mark at all......I always said we should have moved Allan to the 3 when we had Spree because his game better fit the 3 position...

My logic is fairly simple and although you may not agree with it, it is not off the mark, IMo...how many players have come back from injuries and reinvented their game? Sean Elliot, Mike Jordan coming out of retirement, Vince Carter because of his Jumpers knee, Grant Hill, older players such as Larry Bird have also come back from injuries and made them change their game, hell Magic ohnson came back as a PF....I know that most of these guys are legends (Jordan, Bird, Magic), but they fit the criteria of reinventing their games to make up for injuries. We can argue all day if Houston has their mental toughness and determination to do it....to me, I can't truly measure it so it had no bearing in any of my comparisons.

Houston has already changed his game several times as a Knick, so in that instance alone, my logic is at least believable. I said that he me be a better defender (maybe I should have said he would be less of a defensive liability, which would probably be more accurate). Shooting guards are, on average, faster, quicker, smaller, they run more, and have an infinately more perimeter based game than a SF.

The main complaints that with Allans D is he is not fast enough. Allan is a very solid 6-6, 205, probably more now....I also never said he would be a lock down defender...I said, what I alway believed and that he would be better suited at SF....a look at some 2 guards in the L right now....

Most of the guards, (the upper echlon of Kobe, TMac, Pierce, Ray Allen all weigh at least 220 and are very physical). Are smaller and faster.....Wade, Richardson, Gordon, Hamilton, Crawford, Willie Green.....most teams are focusing on having either a very thick, big 2 guard (the elite 2 guards are elite because they possess size and quickness)....At the 3 Allan will be able to play against slower albeit taller competition. I think Allan would be better suited to a more physical defensive assignment than one where he is being run around all day.
~You can't run from who you are.~
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/22/2004  1:07 PM
Posted by CTKnicksfan:

Marbury 39
Crawford 35
Houston 30
TT 25
Ariza 15

I think we'll see a trade by February to clear up this log jam. And Allan most likely will not be playing more than 25 minutes a night at first. Trevor will probably have to sacrafice his minutes, and he does get DESTROYED by more physical big guards/forwards like Ricky Davis and Lebron. Trevor can play, but he needs to get stronger and learn more about man to man D.
¿ △ ?
rain
Member: #353
USA
11/22/2004  4:35 PM
To answer the question.. look for Ariza to get lower minutes on the front or back end of back to back games. He commented that in college they didn't do it, and he had to get used to it. Thomas needs to get mor e minutes than he's been getting, to get him game back in order. He is
one of the few low-block threats we have.
Why is Azira's minutes cut?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy