[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jamal's surprising me!
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/22/2004  1:45 AM
I didn't realize he was this good. The team might be like 1-8 or 2-7 without him. He still needs to improve his shot selection and gain some weight, but imagine how great he can be if he can do that! He has *unbelievable* ball handling skills--possibly the best in the game. I can't believe we got him without giving up any important pieces of the team's future.

BTW, if you exclude the game he left early due to injury, he's averaging 20 PPG, 4.6 APG, 2.1 steals.
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/22/2004  2:49 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1101105002161520.xml

"He's unstoppable," Hardaway said, this time talking about Crawford and not about James. "If he makes two shots in a row, whoever is guarding him is in trouble. He is so clever with the basketball and can shoot the ball very well. He can score on anybody.

"You put a big guy on him, he's quicker than them. You put a small guy on him, he's faster and can jump over him. It's a good combination to have, and his ball-handling skills get him away from a lot of guys. When he starts making buckets, it's hopeless for them."
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/22/2004  8:54 AM
i am not surprised by his offensive game so much as i am by his defense & ability to get steals & deflect passes.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/22/2004  9:26 AM
the guy has great talent. Is Isiah cant judge talent in guards I dont know who can. The best part is you can see at 24 how he still has things to learn. He will probably never be a great man to man defender because of his build but it doesnt mean he cant be a good defensive player.

If Lenny can get a zone that works we have a the perfect player to use it... quick with good hands.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/22/2004  9:29 AM
Posted by TMS:

i am not surprised by his offensive game so much as i am by his defense & ability to get steals & deflect passes.

yes, he does have quick hands and plays the passing lanes nicely. I think players underestimate his length.

The thing I would like to see with Crawford is for him to put on a few pounds - not to loose his quickness, but for him to be able to take a little more pounding when going to the hole. Kinda like the physique that Rip Hamilton has.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/22/2004  9:31 AM
Posted by fishmike:

If Lenny can get a zone that works we have a the perfect player to use it... quick with good hands.

I see a zone being played a little more against teams that have bad shooter.

Also, seeing that Lenny doens't like to unvail a new scheme until they get it right in practice, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks rolled out the full court press some time later this season.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/22/2004  9:38 AM
crawford has his flaws but so far, everyone can CLEARLY see why isiah went after him. he's young, he's athletic, he can handle the ball, and he can carry a team offensively for stretches. he's still learning how to be a better player but in our situation with an aging shooting guard with knee trouble, isiah filled that void admirably. and he got jyd to boot. instead of waiting around for h20 to get healthy, isiah didn't want to risk it. this was an incredible deal so far for isiah and you can see crawford only getting better.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11/22/2004 09:39:05]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/22/2004  9:47 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

crawford has his flaws but so far, everyone can CLEARLY see why isiah went after him. he's young, he's athletic, he can handle the ball, and he can carry a team offensively for stretches. he's still learning how to be a better player but in our situation with an aging shooting guard with knee trouble, isiah filled that void admirably. and he got jyd to boot. instead of waiting around for h20 to get healthy, isiah didn't want to risk it. this was an incredible deal so far for isiah and you can see crawford only getting better.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11/22/2004 09:39:05]

perfectly stated...i agree 100%...i'm so glad Isiah made the trade & stayed clear of Dampier, who btw is only averaging 8 & 7 in DAL right now.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
11/22/2004  9:52 AM
some laughed when we talked about JYD could be a valueable role player and he's been just that.

Incidentally JYD is the only player the Knicks are + with on the floor. Granted those numbers are scewed because JYD doesnt play much and we did have 2 monster blow outs in 9 games but still.
Bonn1997
USA
11/22/2004  10:11 AM
Posted by fishmike:

some laughed when we talked about JYD could be a valueable role player and he's been just that.

That was Islesfan. You and I corrected him, though
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
11/22/2004  1:16 PM
Weird Jamal comment: I was watching the Mavs game with my girl friend and she said "Who's that skinny kid who looks like Reggie Miller out there?" At the time, I laughed, but the more I think about it, the more I think Jamal is kind of built like Reggie, and he's certainly been shooting like him since the Houston shot.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
11/22/2004  1:19 PM
they are both black and built like Kate Moss, but thats about it. Reggie has established himself as one of the best pure shooters in NBA history. Jamal is streaky at best there, but he's a legit combo guard. He doesnt run an offense well, but he's got PG skills and one of the best handles in the NBA. He's going to be some offensive player.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/22/2004  1:30 PM
Posted by fishmike:

they are both black and built like Kate Moss, but thats about it. Reggie has established himself as one of the best pure shooters in NBA history. Jamal is streaky at best there, but he's a legit combo guard. He doesnt run an offense well, but he's got PG skills and one of the best handles in the NBA. He's going to be some offensive player.

Yeah, that's what I get listening to my girl friend. But, I was surprised at how well he shoots, at least when he's rolling. I was expecting more drives and weird layups. I do like the handle and passing though. And the defense has been better than advertised.

The only problem is, I think the worst matchup in the league for the Knicks and Jamal and Ariza in particular is the Boston Celtics. Between Davis, Allen and Pierce there's so many big guards who can overpower them...Boston will be a major threat to win the division this year. It's going to be hard to beat them, head-to-head and for the Atlantic crown.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
11/22/2004  1:58 PM
hard to say... bt your right, Bos is an interesting matchup. I didnt think they would be because the guy that always killed us on that team was Walker. He absolutely abused us year after year.

I think next time we play them you will see a VERY different game
Bonn1997
USA
11/22/2004  2:26 PM
Crawford's a better shooter than I realized. His FG% last year was low, but that was because of bad shot selection at times. When he takes smart shots, he hits a very good percentage.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/22/2004  2:40 PM
This Knicks team has yet to jail. Once that happens, and once TT is out of his current slump, watch out. We have yet to see the importance of JYD on the court. We know what he can do, but Lenny has been sort of reluctant to put him in the starting lineup, mainly because he doesn't want to offend guys like TT. To me, that is wrong. JYD is a motor that we need on the court for 30 minutes plus. This dude can play the 3,4, and the 5. There shouldn't be a reason for not finding him some playing time.
The true Knickabocker..........
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/22/2004  2:41 PM
I have always been a crawford fan, what amazes me about him is the ability to get space to get his shot off anywhere on the court, that is crucial, but people talk about bad shots, sometimes great scorers take those shots becuase they can hit them, I watched Peja take a fadeaway 3 off the dribble the other night, it looked like a bad shot, but he has the ability to hit that shot on occasions, I think with scorers you are going to get that, the key is to limit those bad shots...

Another thing I like about the talent we have is the versatility, I mean we had penny running the point with steph at the 2. then you bring in crawford and TT and that is v, very capable ballhandlers...

Ah... some more kool aid please....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/22/2004  3:09 PM
This must be killing Bulls fans. The Chicago trade looks better and better as games go on. Jamal AND JYD have been great for us, and they quickly won over the fans.
He's got a great future. Anybody still think we over paid? He's making 5 1/2 mil right now, which will increase after every year (but so will his game).
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/22/2004  5:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

they are both black and built like Kate Moss, but thats about it.

I like skinny chicks, but I don't have the same feelings for Jamal as I did for Kate.

fishmike
USA
11/22/2004  5:42 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

This must be killing Bulls fans. The Chicago trade looks better and better as games go on. Jamal AND JYD have been great for us, and they quickly won over the fans.
He's got a great future. Anybody still think we over paid? He's making 5 1/2 mil right now, which will increase after every year (but so will his game).
bigtime... Jamal is playing at a high level and despite the tough early schedule the Knicks are 4-5, have some quality wins and are only .5 game out of first. Jamal is playing at a very high level and hitting big shots. The Bulls are terrible and they got NOTHING in exchange for Jamal.
Jamal's surprising me!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy