[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[Game Thread 3/14/23] Knicks at Blazers 10PM
Author Thread
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

3/15/2023  10:01 AM
We actually have 3 full days off - personally I think they should give Brunson another week off or more if this injury is truly a potential linger term issue. Really only matters he is fresh/healthy for playoffs and kids stepping up in his absence.

Thinking Mitch is dinged up again and hopefully 3 days gets him right.

Also great to get Jules 3 days off - but big game against Nuggets Saturday.

AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/15/2023  10:03 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
blkexec wrote:I feel like a proud parent. I wanted deuce to have this type of game so that fans can see for themselves and now believe in deuce. His defense alone is needed. He must have been killing in practice which is why he made thibs 9 man rotation over rose. So cudos to thibs for developing deuce.

I also missed the game and fell asleep in the 2nd quarter. Wish I had a dvr. I need to see this one. Congrats on the win.

Same thing happened to me. Did record the rest, and watched it late last night. Deuce hit his open looks, which was partly why he got bounced from the rotation. He was also driving and finishing.

They won the game without Randle having to be the main driver, and without Brunson. The FO has a decision to make about both players in the offseason. Im guessing that either RJ or Randle will be moved.

FO has to make decisions about Randle and Brunson? Or Randle and RJ?

I think at this point, decision has already been made, finalized, and doubled down on both Randle and Brunson. We are on their timeline. RJ will be interesting - I don't think we move him this offseason, but he's got to be the #1 pet project with the coaching staff. If he starts off slow next season again, all bets are off.

Dozed through parts of the 3rd and most of the 4th - damn west coast - but thought this was a good character win. The slow start was tough to watch, but as Hahn pointed out a couple times, Knicks started getting methodical pounding it in the paint and getting to the line - especially Julius to close out the first.

Bench was great and gave us a jolt until we really got going in the second half. Good to see Deuce getting his dues. Wish we had more minutes to offer him. If he could string together a few good offensive games in a row, it'd do wonders for him going forward. Obi hit some big 3's to keep us in the game in the first half, but still don't care to watch him hover at the 3 point line (recall a transition 3 he actually made, but was 1 on 3 in a fast break...try to get to the rim or pull it back!)

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/15/2023  10:03 AM
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
blkexec wrote:I feel like a proud parent. I wanted deuce to have this type of game so that fans can see for themselves and now believe in deuce. His defense alone is needed. He must have been killing in practice which is why he made thibs 9 man rotation over rose. So cudos to thibs for developing deuce.

I also missed the game and fell asleep in the 2nd quarter. Wish I had a dvr. I need to see this one. Congrats on the win.

Same thing happened to me. Did record the rest, and watched it late last night. Deuce hit his open looks, which was partly why he got bounced from the rotation. He was also driving and finishing.

They won the game without Randle having to be the main driver, and without Brunson. The FO has a decision to make about both players in the offseason. Im guessing that either RJ or Randle will be moved.

As much as he drives me crazy on occasion I just can’t see them trading Randle — it’s not just his scoring but it’s his physicality we’d miss the most but maybe I guess.

I think / hope RJ could be moved but wouldn’t bet a nickel in that outcome.

Its how Randle plays without Brunson thats concerning.

At the same time, RJ and Brunson dont really seem to click. There are good reasons to keep and trade both RJ and Jules.

GustavBahler

3/15/2023  10:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/15/2023  10:23 AM
MaTT4281 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

FO has to make decisions about Randle and Brunson? Or Randle and RJ?

I think at this point, decision has already been made, finalized, and doubled down on both Randle and Brunson. We are on their timeline. RJ will be interesting - I don't think we move him this offseason, but he's got to be the #1 pet project with the coaching staff. If he starts off slow next season again, all bets are off.

Dozed through parts of the 3rd and most of the 4th - damn west coast - but thought this was a good character win. The slow start was tough to watch, but as Hahn pointed out a couple times, Knicks started getting methodical pounding it in the paint and getting to the line - especially Julius to close out the first.

Bench was great and gave us a jolt until we really got going in the second half. Good to see Deuce getting his dues. Wish we had more minutes to offer him. If he could string together a few good offensive games in a row, it'd do wonders for him going forward. Obi hit some big 3's to keep us in the game in the first half, but still don't care to watch him hover at the 3 point line (recall a transition 3 he actually made, but was 1 on 3 in a fast break...try to get to the rim or pull it back!)

Deuce was bricking almost everything, wasnt driving much. Partly why the FO got Hart. More bench scoring. I agree that Deuce is playing with more confidence, which is good news going into the playoffs.

Im guessing that RJ or Randle will be gone in the offseason. The good news in Brunson being out is that it gives RJ a chance to show the league that he didnt lose his ability to be the number one or two option. I think of his trade value with and without this opportunity.

Randle wont be traded for anything but a star, I imagine. Randle's dropoff without Brunson might not help his trade value. So RJ might be the best candidate, but who knows?

This is a tough call for the FO to make. Dont believe its a clear cut decision.

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

3/15/2023  10:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 3/15/2023  10:29 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

As much as he drives me crazy on occasion I just can’t see them trading Randle — it’s not just his scoring but it’s his physicality we’d miss the most but maybe I guess.

At the same time, RJ and Brunson dont really seem to click. There are good reasons to keep and trade both RJ and Jules.

No way ANY team trades a current All Star. What exactly would you be okay with as a return?
As I feel that ANY trade depends on return. RJ, I feel is here for another year. Or else why extend him and not just include him in a trade prior? As a value investor, I actually like RJs future. He is impossible to stop going to the hoop. Has shown signs of being an average 3pt shooter. If coaches take off his blinders, he can be an All Star. However, do feel they would look to include RJ in a package if they can get a difference maker back in return. Obi, imo, is the one who will be traded. Just has not shown much more this year. Comes in like he is at the All Star weekend looking to compete in 3pt and dunk contests. Did well with three last night and has made an effort to drive more but I have yet to see the high intensity to compete and hate for losing. Especially from a POWER forward. IQ we have to keep. Been a fan since day one. Always preached how he just needed the opportunity. Kid has a lot of skills. Can defend, score in different ways and play defense. He is also a great competitor who is not afraid to go up against anyone.

Fyi, great game by Deuce. Kid finally came out and was not afraid to shoot the ball. Did a great job on defense once again. Hope this game gets him going. Problem will be that JB gets back and he will go back to the bench. Him and Obi were big with 7-10 from three. Harts with another solid glue guys type games. JHart with 8 dimes. IHart with 11 boards. Randle and RJ played well. Take away their bad 3pt shooting and they were pretty efficient. Randle with 10 boards and 4 dimes. Grimes is only one concerning. Know he will get it going.

GAME ball goes to Deuce.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
3/15/2023  10:55 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Deuce was bricking almost everything, wasnt driving much. Partly why the FO got Hart. More bench scoring. I agree that Deuce is playing with more confidence, which is good news going into the playoffs.

Im guessing that RJ or Randle will be gone in the offseason. The good news in Brunson being out is that it gives RJ a chance to show the league that he didnt lose his ability to be the number one or two option. I think of his trade value with and without this opportunity.

Randle wont be traded for anything but a star, I imagine. Randle's dropoff without Brunson might not help his trade value. So RJ might be the best candidate, but who knows?

Brunson is clearly our leader, but I think the FO still committed to building around Julius above all. If we make moves, I'd expect us to trade RJ, Obi, possibly either IQ (please no) or Grimes if the right deal came along in order to bring in guys that mesh with Julius' inside out game, instead of trading Randle. Hell, if Utah wasn't looking for all that PLUS 5 first rounders, we would have seen that happen with Donovan Mitchell.

I was firmly in the trade Julius, start Obi camp last off season, but the FO successfully revived him by bringing in Brunson. His current all star season feels much more sustainable than his 2021 season just because he doesn't have to do it ALL. Organization seems to like where we are with the Randle/Brunson combo. Would be pretty radical to change course now, and definitely a several steps backwards, even if you think you think you're building a better foundation.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/15/2023  11:01 AM
The abstract “Trade” as if anyone coming is is sure fire chemistry fit with Randle and Brunson.
Jhart is great but reality is his offense is limited and you don’t want too much reliance on Randle and Brunson more than what we got.
What we need is more of Grimes on offense.
What we need is RJ to return to last years 3pt % with a small bump up.
the playmaking issues he has is part of his growth and its improving over time. This should make life easier for Randle and Brunson.
Right now Grimes gets the ball and he instantly goes to rim or shoots. His playmaking has tailed off a bit. Not seeing as many wonderful passing.
So we got a nice post allstar run and in that time Jhart doing his thing, wins streak, RJ putting up tighter numbers, and IQ doing very well. All our youngs guys are moving in the right direction. Inconsistant but thats part of it.

WE are starting 2 22 year olds, 6man of the year candidate is 23, our center is 24 and we are vying for the 5th seed.
Its a great time to not worry about next year and just enjoy this year and playoff series should things hold and we stay out of the playin. If that happens obviously something went wrong!!!!!!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/15/2023  11:11 AM
Knixkik wrote:Watch Josh Hart play and Cam Reddish play. It’s a world of difference. Hart maximizes his talent on every play. Reddish just coasts.

Classic effort versus talent, and when push comes to shove, effort gonna win out.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

3/15/2023  11:14 AM
MaTT4281 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Brunson is clearly our leader, but I think the FO still committed to building around Julius above all. If we make moves, I'd expect us to trade RJ, Obi, possibly either IQ (please no) or Grimes if the right deal came along in order to bring in guys that mesh with Julius' inside out game, instead of trading Randle. Hell, if Utah wasn't looking for all that PLUS 5 first rounders, we would have seen that happen with Donovan Mitchell.

I was firmly in the trade Julius, start Obi camp last off season, but the FO successfully revived him by bringing in Brunson. His current all star season feels much more sustainable than his 2021 season just because he doesn't have to do it ALL. Organization seems to like where we are with the Randle/Brunson combo. Would be pretty radical to change course now, and definitely a several steps backwards, even if you think you think you're building a better foundation.

Good points. If its RJ, I'm of the mind that said player (on offense) should be able to get buckets, but also be a very good facilitator. Might be easier to give the job to Hart. See who is available at the 2 and 5. For more scoring.

That will help settle things down with the starters more than anything. When the player isnt scoring, having at 3 who also can really move the ball would very much help the team level up.

Wont solve all our problems. But its important to improve the ball movement, to make it more consistent. Thats a big part of the Warrior's success.

Its what Steve Kerr brought to an already good team.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/15/2023  11:55 AM
GustavBahler wrote:

give me one scenario where this FO moves Randle because he's not a good fit with RJ.... this is one of the more head scratching comments.

Lets see... you have Randle, 2x all star, never misses games, in terms of importance to the team there's 1 and 1a in Brunson/Randle and its honestly debatable who's more important. Oh... and Obi is his backup.

Then you have RJ, playing out of position and mostly ineffective at SF, and we have Grimes/JHart at SG and IQ getting minutes there as well.

Even when I am doing a ton of drugs I cant see this roster and think "they might move Randle cause he doesnt fit with RJ" and I like some far out ****

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
3/15/2023  11:58 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

name a good reason to trade Jules (aside from Giannis coming back)
GustavBahler

3/15/2023  12:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/15/2023  12:07 PM
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I really dont want to get into another long back and forth about this. I would encourage you to go back and replay the Lakers game. Listen to what JVG was saying about Randle in the second half. Said it better than I could.

martin
USA
3/15/2023  12:15 PM
martin
USA
3/15/2023  12:54 PM
NICE

fishmike
USA
3/15/2023  12:56 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I really dont want to get into another long back and forth about this. I would encourage you to go back and replay the Lakers game. Listen to what JVG was saying about Randle in the second half. Said it better than I could.

me either... I will stick with trading Randle being a ridiculous idea with no basis in reality beyond fan's whims or announcers blabbing.
fishmike
USA
3/15/2023  1:04 PM
martin wrote:
here's the thing... he needs to attack the basket on offense. I'm not even sure if he's got a quick first step because we never see it. Grimes, RJ, JHart, Brunson and IQ will all at times pass on the 3 and put the ball on the floor and attack the rim for a shot or dish. I just dont see McBride do this and force the action. Its always he takes the jumpers or dribbles east/west.

You watch his gleague highights the guy beats everyone off the dribble and gets buckets. Maybe its just confidence and AAA vs. the Majors. Maybe he just needs to master this role and ascend but its maddening because it feels like he could be a better player on offense but just wont. Kinda (oh god I'm sorry) Frank like.

Experience matters.. IQ showed us stuff in year 3 we saw coming and McBride is a gym rat. I still have hope!

martin
USA
3/15/2023  1:07 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:
here's the thing... he needs to attack the basket on offense. I'm not even sure if he's got a quick first step because we never see it. Grimes, RJ, JHart, Brunson and IQ will all at times pass on the 3 and put the ball on the floor and attack the rim for a shot or dish. I just dont see McBride do this and force the action. Its always he takes the jumpers or dribbles east/west.

You watch his gleague highights the guy beats everyone off the dribble and gets buckets. Maybe its just confidence and AAA vs. the Majors. Maybe he just needs to master this role and ascend but its maddening because it feels like he could be a better player on offense but just wont. Kinda (oh god I'm sorry) Frank like.

Experience matters.. IQ showed us stuff in year 3 we saw coming and McBride is a gym rat. I still have hope!

Feel like IQ went thru same and maybe slightly still going thru the process of learning how to beat his man and then figure out what to do when he gets to the midrange. It'll come.

Knickoftime
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3370

3/15/2023  1:29 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

So a team looking for trade for Randle wasn't listen to JVG in the second half of the Lakers game?

Really asking.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

3/15/2023  1:31 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Four first rounders and a promising young player. I'm not immediately signing off, but I'm not immediately hanging up either.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

3/15/2023  1:39 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

So a team looking for trade for Randle wasn't listen to JVG in the second half of the Lakers game?

Really asking.

I'll pass thanks.

You rarely express an actual bball opinion on this board. Its mostly about being a gadfly. Maybe thats why you've been banned elsewhere.

[Game Thread 3/14/23] Knicks at Blazers 10PM

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy