[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Jermaine must get kicked out of the league.
Author Thread
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/21/2004  2:30 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Assault is the threat of violence,battery is the act itself.

OK how about assault and battery, but who cares about technicalities right now, it was just a dumb azz move....

The players care,they are the ones facing jail time and a few fans as well.

That is fine, so are we going to have a 50 page thread on the differences of assualt and battery, we all know what happened, assualt, battery, call it what you want, a guy was struck in the face, blindsided, call it what you want, but I don't see the need getting technical about something we all understood what happened.. come on man, lets move on.....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
AUTOADVERT
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/21/2004  9:39 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Assault is the threat of violence,battery is the act itself.

OK how about assault and battery, but who cares about technicalities right now, it was just a dumb azz move....

The players care,they are the ones facing jail time and a few fans as well.

That is fine, so are we going to have a 50 page thread on the differences of assualt and battery, we all know what happened, assualt, battery, call it what you want, a guy was struck in the face, blindsided, call it what you want, but I don't see the need getting technical about something we all understood what happened.. come on man, lets move on.....

I will if you will.
Bizzy211
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #601
USA
11/21/2004  9:41 AM
Posted by Masterplan:
Posted by djsunyc:

i don't know what was in j.o's head but i will say this:

if a fan gets onto the court, you pretty much can should be able to do whatever you want to get him down b/c you have NO IDEA what he's going to do.

it happens alot in wrestling when a fan will jump into the ring, all the wrestlers just jump on him and beat the crap outta him. granted this is basketball but if you're on broadway and some fool runs onto the stage, either security takes him down or everyone jumps on him.

i don't know if j.o was headhunting but the action of jumping that particular fan was warranted.

that's true. but the problem in this case is the guy had already been hit pretty good, and security was on the way. it seems much more aggression on oneal's part than fear or caution, or even just defensive instinct

There wasn't any security man. They should've been there before that J.O punch. If they weren't there by that time then they aren't doing their jobs. They should get it just as hard as the players. And the NBA should be sued by the NBA players involved for lack of security and protection from fans and oncoming objects thrown.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
11/21/2004  12:51 PM

[/quote]

Isn't that often the case - the guy who's more mild in his usual demeanor when pushed to the brink goes TOTALLY over the edge?
[/quote]

incredible hulk time!
Caseloads
Member: #41
11/21/2004  1:33 PM
Posted by Bizzy211:
Posted by Masterplan:
Posted by djsunyc:

if a fan gets onto the court, you pretty much can should be able to do whatever you want to get him down b/c you have NO IDEA what he's going to do.

it happens alot in wrestling when a fan will jump into the ring, all the wrestlers just jump on him and beat the crap outta him. granted this is basketball but if you're on broadway and some fool runs onto the stage, either security takes him down or everyone jumps on him.

i don't know if j.o was headhunting but the action of jumping that particular fan was warranted.

that's true. but the problem in this case is the guy had already been hit pretty good, and security was on the way. it seems much more aggression on oneal's part than fear or caution, or even just defensive instinct

There wasn't any security man. They should've been there before that J.O punch. If they weren't there by that time then they aren't doing their jobs. They should get it just as hard as the players. And the NBA should be sued by the NBA players involved for lack of security and protection from fans and oncoming objects thrown.
exactly what i said, the NBA should be sued by the players
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
11/21/2004  2:13 PM
Word is: Artest 30 games
O'Neal and Jackson 20 games
Wallace 5 games
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
Masterplan
Member: #362
11/21/2004  2:45 PM
Posted by Bizzy211:
Posted by Masterplan:
Posted by djsunyc:

are you sure the guy standing behind the dude who got decked wasn't security? from the footage i saw, it looked like the dude was being helped up by a security guard, albeit an overweight and none-too-initmidating one, and hadn't quite gotten to his feet when oneal went berserk on him. i could be wrong, though.

it bugs me that people are defending the players on the argument, anyone would do the same in their situation. i think the players should be held to a higher standard than the rest of us. their entire, well-compensated careers are based on playing the game with blinders on, not being perturbed by what goes on outside the court. to take out frustrations on a fan is just bravado and aggression. the game is supposed to be decided by skill, not a brawl. still, the case here is an extreme one. artest definitely shouldn't ahve gone into teh stands, no question. but he was provoked and that should be taken into consideration, but shouldn't excuse him.

[Edited by - Masterplan on 11/21/2004 14:46:08]
Caseloads
Member: #41
11/21/2004  3:34 PM
Posted by NYK3:

Wallace 5 games
where did you hear that from?
NYK3
USA
11/21/2004  3:38 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by NYK3:

Wallace 5 games
where did you hear that from?
From Yahoo:
Brawl to prove costly for Pacers

Artest reportedly will be suspended for 30 games. (AFP) Indiana forward Ron Artest could be facing a 30-game suspension while teammates Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson could be suspended 20 games apiece for their roles in a horrific brawl in Detroit, according to WDIV-TV. Detroit's Ben Wallace reportedly is facing a five-game ban.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/21/2004  4:35 PM
Does anyone else here realize that we are drawing judgements on how players act in a crisis situation?

Granted Artest, O'Neal and Jackson all played a huge roll not only in the fight, but in elevating it to where it boiled over. I tihnk the parts of the tape that should be looked at are the begining of the fight (where Artest and Jax and O'Neal are in the stands). After that it is truly every man for himself. Regardless of J.o.'s actions during a melee in the heat of chaos, his actions leading up to the fight should be judged, not the actions in the fight itself.

It just seems there ios too much left up to "the spirit" of what they did and that leaves too huge a margin of error.

Also, I was wondering if you heard the quote of Stu Jax after a Lakers-Kings brawl in the 2002 preseason....

Several Sacramento players left the bench area and raced down a tunnel leading to the locker rooms, and then-Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal was also at the heart of a second scuffle that followed the initial skirmish involving Sacramento's Doug Christie and the now-retired Rick Fox. Stern, though, did not suspend anyone but Christie (two games) and Fox (six games). NBA vice president Stu Jackson said at the time that "our judgment was that the players who left the bench were attempting to break up the fight and did not escalate the altercation.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1927847

funny, If I remember correctly, that wasn't the NBA's stance when LJ, Ewing, Starks and everyone else was suspended against the Heat....
~You can't run from who you are.~
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/21/2004  5:30 PM
Posted by joec32033:

Also, I was wondering if you heard the quote of Stu Jax after a Lakers-Kings brawl in the 2002 preseason....

Several Sacramento players left the bench area and raced down a tunnel leading to the locker rooms, and then-Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal was also at the heart of a second scuffle that followed the initial skirmish involving Sacramento's Doug Christie and the now-retired Rick Fox. Stern, though, did not suspend anyone but Christie (two games) and Fox (six games). NBA vice president Stu Jackson said at the time that "our judgment was that the players who left the bench were attempting to break up the fight and did not escalate the altercation.''

funny, If I remember correctly, that wasn't the NBA's stance when LJ, Ewing, Starks and everyone else was suspended against the Heat....

I think the NBA should go on TV an apologize for doing that to the Knicks. Pat Ewing for one was not anywhere near the action. That migh thave cause the Knicks a championship because the Knicks were very good that year.

I want David to apologize to the NY fans for that.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/21/2004  5:43 PM
As for the Artest alleged 30 games....I think that will do. Now he can promote his album. He should meet up with Ben Wallace on a street corner and handle his business too because he is a big punany if he doesn't. Why would he be calm about that vicious chove to Artests neck but go to the stands to go after a fan. Wallace would have broke his neck thats why.

Jackson deserves about 20 games. He was just trying to help Artest cuz the fans were jumping on Artest. Jackson to me gets what he got for over doing it.

O'neal to me is a big punany too cuz what was the point of his participation in this brawl. He turned it from a brawl to something where he might have been seriously hurt by thosands of fans. He could have killed that guy too if he hit him in the right spot. O'neal lost it and now the police are investigating it. Besides the NBA suspension I hope the police get involved and punish O'neal.

Don't get me wrong......the fans out there should all get called in for questioning and maybe arrests.

Kids were out there and there were old people being trampled.

Something big should happen. If it doesn't I will be truly disappointed.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Knickss208
Member: #796
11/21/2004  6:01 PM
ENYSPREE... If you notice it is not the guy that Artest punched that O'neal punches. Its his friend that runs over after the first guy gets hit. Then he falls over when his friend falls to the ground trying to go after Artest. Then that guy tries to get up and go after Artest again and O'neal ends that attempt pretty quickly. Yes O'neal should not have done that, but just because he hit the guy really hard doesnt mean that it was more wrong of him to hit that guy than when Artest hit the other fans.
NYK3
USA
11/21/2004  6:14 PM
ARTEST OUT FOR REMAINDER OF THE SEASON, WOW
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/21/2004  7:58 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by joec32033:

I think the NBA should go on TV an apologize for doing that to the Knicks. Pat Ewing for one was not anywhere near the action. That migh thave cause the Knicks a championship because the Knicks were very good that year.

the rules states no one can leave the bench to go on the court when a fight breaks out...i don't recall if there's any rule about leaving the bench to go into the lockerrooms when a fight breaks out.

& for all you posters who justify Artest's actions by giving the "if it happened on the street" excuse, consider what hundreds of professional athletes have had to endure for countless games throughout history in alot more heated rivalries than the Pacers/Pistons, & there hasn't been 1 instance in the past as bad as this one w/the exception of 1 hockey game i remember involving the Boston Bruins players...does anyone here think Lawrence Taylor or Reggie Jackson have never had stuff thrown at them in their careers?
hell, Jackie Robinson had to endure racist remarks, death threats & people spitting on him too...more pro athletes of today need to think about that instead of trying to portray this tough guy image on a nationally televised game by going after fans they are twice the size of...unless a fan comes onto the court to try & attack them, i don't see any way someone can justify what Artest, Jackson & O'Neal did.

a 1 year suspension for Artest is justified imho, & frankly i thought Ben Wallace should have gotten a steeper penalty as well for overreacting to what looked like a pretty clean foul by Artest...he is preaching to the Detroit media about the use of restraint when it comes to dealing with the fans, how about practicing some of that when it comes to dealing with the opposing players?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/21/2004  9:47 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by joec32033:

the rules states no one can leave the bench to go on the court when a fight breaks out...i don't recall if there's any rule about leaving the bench to go into the lockerrooms when a fight breaks out.

& for all you posters who justify Artest's actions by giving the "if it happened on the street" excuse, consider what hundreds of professional athletes have had to endure for countless games throughout history in alot more heated rivalries than the Pacers/Pistons, & there hasn't been 1 instance in the past as bad as this one w/the exception of 1 hockey game i remember involving the Boston Bruins players...does anyone here think Lawrence Taylor or Reggie Jackson have never had stuff thrown at them in their careers?
hell, Jackie Robinson had to endure racist remarks, death threats & people spitting on him too...more pro athletes of today need to think about that instead of trying to portray this tough guy image on a nationally televised game by going after fans they are twice the size of...unless a fan comes onto the court to try & attack them, i don't see any way someone can justify what Artest, Jackson & O'Neal did.

a 1 year suspension for Artest is justified imho, & frankly i thought Ben Wallace should have gotten a steeper penalty as well for overreacting to what looked like a pretty clean foul by Artest...he is preaching to the Detroit media about the use of restraint when it comes to dealing with the fans, how about practicing some of that when it comes to dealing with the opposing players?

TMS...you did not really just compare Ron Artest to Jackie Robinson, did you?

Two different worlds, two different societies, two different cultures.....they are way too different....If Jackie did what Artest did, there may never again have been blacks in baseball.....Jackie was playing for a whole race of people....I think that comparing the two is giving WAY too much credit to Artest and I am a big Artest fan.
~You can't run from who you are.~
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
11/21/2004  11:14 PM
These suspensions are ridiculous. Rather than blaming the NBA for inadequate security for their players, they blame players for protecting themselves. I agree suspensions should be handed out, but not to the degree that they were. As far as the fans that came on the court and got clocked, FUKK THEM, they got what they deserved. They shouldnt be on the court or anywhere near the court during a brawl or near fight on the court. I'm just waiting for a player to be stabbed by a fan, and then Stern suspends them for recipicating. I dont like stern and i will be voting for artest and oneal for the allstar ballot. if i were the pacers, i would protest, or if i were the players, i would have a walkout.
OldFan
Member: #446
11/21/2004  11:23 PM
I disagree - what they did was not protecting themselves. It put them and everyone in the arena in danger. If Artest stays out of the stands - no one gets hurt. Instead he goes into the stands - attacks the wrong guy and almost starts a riot. A lot of people who had nothing to do with the incident could have been hurt.

The NBA clearly has to do a better job protecting the players but the players are professionals and they know the fans are going to give them hell. We've all been to professional sporting events and seen the players hit with objects. If players went into the stands every time this happened they would have to close down Yankee Stadium.

As I said on another thread this penalty is not that harsh. It's not like taking a working stiffs job - these guys will still be able to feed their families.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/22/2004  1:06 AM
Posted by joec32033:TMS...you did not really just compare Ron Artest to Jackie Robinson, did you?

Two different worlds, two different societies, two different cultures.....they are way too different....If Jackie did what Artest did, there may never again have been blacks in baseball.....Jackie was playing for a whole race of people....I think that comparing the two is giving WAY too much credit to Artest and I am a big Artest fan.

my simple point was, there have been countless athletes in the past who have had to put up w/alot worse than Artest did when someone threw a cup of beer on him, & they never charged into the stands to start a riot...Artest doesn't get a pass with me just because that stuff wouldn't fly on the streets today...street rules don't apply at an NBA game, otherwise there'd be a riot almost everytime someone cursed at a player for shooting up a brick in crunchtime.

btw, Jackie Robinson was not my only example...only the most extreme case of a guy who had to put up w/more than anyone could have imagined & always kept his cool on the field...there have been countless more athletes who've played professional sports in this day & age who don't take it upon themselves to lay a beatdown on fans who are half the size they are just to take out their own frustrations & anger over the emotions of the moment after having a beer thrown at them or alot worse things, like batteries, bottles, baseballs, etc...

by the way, how did you guys react over Milton Bradley throwing a bottle into the stands after someone had thrown it onto the field? if he had rushed into the stands to beat the crap out of some anonymous fan who didn't even thrown the bottle to begin with, what would you have said about it? that he was justified in doing it & that it was self defense?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/22/2004  7:58 AM
~ENYSpree

When did you become such a punk....O'Neal should get banned?!

wow

dude was on THE COURT!!! With all the crazies out (remember that chick that stabbed that tennis player in the stands) if you step in the area of play, you automatically get an *** whooping.

that should be added in the collective bargaining agreement.
Jermaine must get kicked out of the league.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy