Big Fight in NBA GAME
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/20/2004  8:47 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by BRIGGS:

wow. that was unbelievable. i dont blame any nba player for going into the crowd or protecting his right for self-defense. this whole incident would not have happened if it wasnt for that guy who threw the beer on artest. he got pegged by the cup right in the head--where the F is security???????? somehow, someone needed to grab artest right there, but i dont blame ron for doing what he did. thats like saying if i threw a bottle at Nolad's wife, he's going to sit there and smile? no, hes likely to bum rush me in self defense. the bad thing is artest got the wrong cat at first. fred jones took a cheap shot to the side of the face from a big dude and then some fat spanish 21-22 yr olds came out of nowehere to throw down with artest--which was f funny and artest politley flattened him but oneal came in and really jacked him at point blank range
then i thought it was the ugliest part of the incident when oneal wa trying to get out--someone hocks a chair and they pelt him with everything

i know there are going to be some suspensions, but if i am artest jackson jones and oneal--if im given something ludicrous where i lose substatially money, i would go get a court order to have any action stayed. i think if there are suspensions for what happened prior to the bottle OK, but after that, IMHO it's more a matter for the criminal just system than nBA JURISDICTION. THAT WAS SELF-DEFENSE
i really believe that the fans-- the detroit ownership who obtained the security and perhaps the nBA themselves have to take the hit here. once that pelted him in the face, he had the right to protect himself.

I like to fight as much as anyone (maybe more), but from a legal perspective, Artest's (and especially O'Neal's) reactions exceeded the bounds self-defense. Self-defense must be reasonable and proportional. Getting hit with a plastic bottle doesn't permit someone to start beating the crap out of the wrong guy, and O'Neal blind-sided a guy. From an emotional standpoint, I understand and support it, but there is no legal right to do it.

Stern has handed out long suspensions for less.

I agree. Artest should have stood and pointed toward the spot where that cup came from for the cops to go after the guy. Rushing blindly into the stand to punch away at anyone in your way makes you liable IMO. What self was he defending by doing that? Of course we know Artest is not about to control his impulses though, is he?
AUTOADVERT
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
11/20/2004  9:01 AM
Ben Wallace overreacted but still I see no problem with his reaction to Artest’s foul. Artest reacted pretty well to Wallace I thought.

Artest is a jackass for laying on the scorer's table. Indiana's coaching staff is stupid for letting him lay there.

The fan that threw beer at Artest is a complete ****ing loser and should be fined, serve time, and be castrated to prevent any chance of producing offspring. It’s people like this that **** up this planet. What a moron.

Artest was stupid for going into the stands. He’s got to think ahead in a situation like this... no matter how much adrenaline is rushing through his system.

By the way... when I first heard that it was a plastic cup I thought “what a wuss Artest is for reacting so strongly”. However, you can see from the replay that we’re not talking cheesy see-through soft plastic. These looked like fairly solid hard plastic cups. I’d be pissed off as all hell myself.

The kid was stupid for looking so gleeful when Artest approached him. Real stupid.

Artest didn’t appear to throw punches at first... he just pushed the kid down. It was the fans who then took it to the next level.

The dude in the cap/blue shirt was either a complete moron for punching Artest from behind, or... was the kid Artest just pushed down his son/brother? Or... he decided “screw it... I can make a lot of money here!”

Stephen Jackson looked like he was just out of control and making things worse. He should have been focused on getting Artest out of the crowd.

Oneal is screwed. It looks like he went over the top.

Tinsley gets my award for most comical spectator award. Did anybody see him come out of the walkway with that dustpan, and then turn back around? If that was all he did, he was one of the smarter people in the arena last night.

The dozens of Detroit fans who made things worse, yelled, threw bottles, cups, chairs, and punches are a bunch of pathetic, classless morons.

The coaches needed to control their teams better after the initial shoving started. Ditto for the officials.

Order of stupidity:

1. Detroit fans.
2. Artest and Oneal.
3. Stephen Jackson.
4. Officials and coaches.
5. Arena staff and security.
6. The NBA.
7. Hard plastic cups.

I've officially ruled out ever going to Detroit to see a basketball game. If I want to bump elbows with that portion of society I'll seek out a closer trailer park.
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
11/20/2004  9:16 AM
This affects the entire NBA, the Knicks (a team that has received infamous suspensions), and the future of the games and areas.

What do you think the NBA going to do?

I believe that if the NBA were to do anything to Ron Artest or any players for actions after the beer was thrown, I would take the following action as a player:

1) Sue the NBA, Pistons, contracted NBA-mandated and selected security company for poor arena management

2) Sue the fans that assaulted him (especially from behind) I personally thin the NBA should not take any action against Artest - what the fans did is unexcusable.

Ron had every right, every single right to defend himself, especially after being hit with a projectile.

Who cares if it was a plastic cup - as someone who works in the largest and top trauma emergency center in the country, a projectile of any nature can potentially be lethal - and who knows what the next projectile might have been? look at the girl in boston who got hit in the eye with the pepperspray during the world series and DIED.

The league has no jurisdiction to penalize a player for legal matters pertaining to self-defense, on or off the court.

What would the league do if this exact same scenario had happenned replacing LeBron with Artest, and LeBron had reacted in the same fashion?

The Question: What do you think the NBA going to do?

I think that the NBA is going to suspend and fine players for all actions that took place, which again, is unwarranted.

As for the actions that took place during the game, Artest did not deliver a hard foul to Wallace (as shown on camera, that was not a flagrant).
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/20/2004  9:45 AM
From what I hear the guy with the white Walace warm up jacket was the one that threw the cup, he was the one holding artest from behind and begin punchig him in the side of the face.

Artest went after the wrong guy and that is what ignited the fans to jump in the melee ,to them that was one of their own( that was their false justification)

Now if you travel with anyone and someone attacks one of ya boys you try to help. S.Jackson badjudgement he also went after a guy who was just trying to help his relative or friend who artest wrongly started grabbing. so that is where the confusion came in.

Overall fans don't care if they do a little time for assault, they just want the out of court settlement for being attached physically by an "nba millionaire"

I can see their laywers know with Christmas coming trying to get "PAID"

JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/20/2004  9:59 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by BRIGGS:

wow. that was unbelievable. i dont blame any nba player for going into the crowd or protecting his right for self-defense. this whole incident would not have happened if it wasnt for that guy who threw the beer on artest. he got pegged by the cup right in the head--where the F is security???????? somehow, someone needed to grab artest right there, but i dont blame ron for doing what he did. thats like saying if i threw a bottle at Nolad's wife, he's going to sit there and smile? no, hes likely to bum rush me in self defense. the bad thing is artest got the wrong cat at first. fred jones took a cheap shot to the side of the face from a big dude and then some fat spanish 21-22 yr olds came out of nowehere to throw down with artest--which was f funny and artest politley flattened him but oneal came in and really jacked him at point blank range
then i thought it was the ugliest part of the incident when oneal wa trying to get out--someone hocks a chair and they pelt him with everything

i know there are going to be some suspensions, but if i am artest jackson jones and oneal--if im given something ludicrous where i lose substatially money, i would go get a court order to have any action stayed. i think if there are suspensions for what happened prior to the bottle OK, but after that, IMHO it's more a matter for the criminal just system than nBA JURISDICTION. THAT WAS SELF-DEFENSE
i really believe that the fans-- the detroit ownership who obtained the security and perhaps the nBA themselves have to take the hit here. once that pelted him in the face, he had the right to protect himself.

I like to fight as much as anyone (maybe more), but from a legal perspective, Artest's (and especially O'Neal's) reactions exceeded the bounds self-defense. Self-defense must be reasonable and proportional. Getting hit with a plastic bottle doesn't permit someone to start beating the crap out of the wrong guy, and O'Neal blind-sided a guy. From an emotional standpoint, I understand and support it, but there is no legal right to do it.

I don't think this has anything to do with anyone's like for violence. I'll just say this, if someone threw a full water bottle at me[really a fairly heavy blunt object] in a violent manner, Im not going to sit there and ask why. I dont condone violence, BUt I feel that it was an instinctual defensive mechanism that went off and I believe Artest is not the main culprit here. the FAN caused this reaction by committing a real life CRIME. the fan is the one who started the riot and the fan is the one who should take the brunt of punishment. if there is a secondary culprit it is the NBA and Detroit--if this is not true--how did those fat spanish kids get on the floor ready to throw down? they took it upon themselves and the NBA obviously did not have enough security. What do you want Artest to do, let the kid knive him or something? Im not saying Artest was right in anyway, Im saying he had some justifcation in terms of self defense IMHO,
RIP Crushalot😞
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/20/2004  10:05 AM

For anyone who didn't see it, here's JO decking the pistons fan on the court.
Marv
11/20/2004  10:34 AM
I always get a kick out of Lang Whitaker. Here's his take:

http://slamonline.com/links/11152004/

I went out to dinner tonight with wifey and a few friends, and when I left the restaurant just after midnight, I checked my cellphone and saw that I'd missed 4 calls and had 3 messages. I knew something had happened. I just didn't know what. Of course, now we all know.

I hustled home and camped out in front of ESPN for three hours. I've seen the whole thing now about fifteen times. Here are my random thoughts I jotted down while watching the coverage of the brouhaha...

-- It's the Pacers fault, and it's the Pistons fault. Not just the players, but everyone -- the fans, everyone.

-- The one guy I really hope they find is that fan that threw a coke and popcorn at Jermaine O'Neal just as he walked into the tunnel.

-- The image that will stick with me for a while is the fan that was cheering at Ron Artest getting hit with the drink, who then looked terrified as Artest charged up at him. It wasn't neccessarily funny, but it was one of those realization moments, where you could actually see the thoughts being formed in the guy's head.

-- Ron Artest shouldn't have gone into the crowd. No matter what.

-- Pistons CEO Tom Wilson blamed Artest for laying on the scorer's table. Completely ridiculous.

-- You want to know Pistons organization should do if they really want to seem interested in doing the right thing? They should offer cash rewards for people to turn in the fans that started all this mess and threw stuff.

-- Ron Artest = the Forrest Gump of trouble.

-- Eddie Gill gets props for pulling back Stephen Jackson while they were rumbling in the stands.

-- On the bright side, it's a good thing this happened when it did, late in the game with a lot of the fans already gone. Imagine if it had been in the first quarter with the stands packed.

-- Jermaine O'Neal landed the punch of the night -- that thing would've brought Jim Lampley out of his chair. That was like Roy Mercer with Tommy Morrison pinned against the ropes.

-- The guy that JO clocked had no business being on the floor, nor did his friend, who squared off with Ron Ron.

-- Bill Walton said, "This is the lowest point for me in 30 years with the NBA." Mine was when Bill Walton made the 50 Greatest Players list and Dominique Wilkins didn't.

-- I don't want to say that people are over-reacting to what happened, but the guys on ESPN certainly are.

-- Sprewell choking his coach got him a 68-game suspension. Reference point for this one?

-- Why was Jim Gray on the verge of tears during the post-game coverage? Really. His voice was quivering.

-- Part of this is the NBA's fault because they're so frigging money-hungry. Do they really have to sell seats just inches away from the floor?

-- I love Stephen Jackson, but he deserves a long vacation over all this.

-- Thank goodness Jim Gray was there to let us know what Kobe Bryant thought about it.

-- By not retaliating to Ben Wallace, Artest started a brawl. How weird is that?

-- Nowhere near the violence? Rasheed Wallace. Also, Rick Mahorn, peacemaker?

-- The ESPN guys said Artest was "defending himself." Um no, he wasn't. If one fan throws a drink at you, you don't "defend youself" by running up into the stands after him. Ron's the league's best defender. He should've grabbed an umbrella and let the police go get the fan.

-- Another guy that should get locked up: the huge fat guy in an All-Daz sweatsuit (the clothing line owned by Steve Francis and Nick Van Exel, worn pretty much exclusively by NBA players and their posses) who was wearing a credential -- so someone has to know who he is, because the Pistons had to approve his request for a credential -- threw some sucker punches and was standing directly behind the scorer's table when it all started, like he couldn't wait to get involved.

-- If I was sitting there in the stands and saw Ron Artest running at me and swinging, I would probably feel some sort of impulse to fight back. Doesn't mean I actually would, though.

-- Stephen A. Smith took a few moments to defend Ben Wallace and talk about what a good citizen Ben is. But why did Ben throw a towel at the Pacers when it was all dying down?

-- Gangsta: Jamal Tinsley emerging from locker room waving a dustpan.

-- I'm guessing Ron Ron will have plenty of time to promote his rap album when all this settles.

-- Remember how Mark Cuban said the Kobe thing would be good for NBA ratings, and he was right? Just wait until Christmas Day when these teams play again on national TV. Nothing else on the tube, suspensions probably mostly over...that's going to be crazy. I'm going to have to see if we can get Omar a credential for that one.

-- Who'd have thought I could write that much stuff and not even mention a chair getting thrown?

These are just off the top of my head. I'll write more about this for Monday. Have a good weekend. And don't throw a drink on anyone.

Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
11/20/2004  10:43 AM
Just in case if anyone missed it, go to www.clickondetroit.com to view it. The quality isn't as good, but it is still exciting. You don't get a chance to see Jermaine Oneal's haymaker on this video. But needless to say, enjoy.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
Clean
Member: #743
11/20/2004  10:53 AM
to the people who say "it was only a cup of beer" i am sure artest did not know that and it hit him in the face so it could have easily taken out an eye. Also like the ESPN guy said even if its a cup of beer you can still press charges. He was in a similar situation and was asked to press charges after a fan hit him in his chest with a beer.
Marv
11/20/2004  11:01 AM
Posted by Clean:

to the people who say "it was only a cup of beer" i am sure artest did not know that and it hit him in the face so it could have easily taken out an eye. Also like the ESPN guy said even if its a cup of beer you can still press charges. He was in a similar situation and was asked to press charges after a fan hit him in his chest with a beer.

I don't argue with that. I argue with charging into the stands, punching away and setting off a riot. Get the cops onto that guy and then go ahead and press charges or sue away to your heart's content.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/20/2004  11:36 AM
Posted by MaTT4281:

For anyone who didn't see it, here's JO decking the pistons fan on the court.

Mon Dieu! Quel horreur!! Wow!!
Knicks_Fan
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/20/2004  12:08 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by BRIGGS:

I don't think this has anything to do with anyone's like for violence. I'll just say this, if someone threw a full water bottle at me[really a fairly heavy blunt object] in a violent manner, Im not going to sit there and ask why. I dont condone violence, BUt I feel that it was an instinctual defensive mechanism that went off and I believe Artest is not the main culprit here. the FAN caused this reaction by committing a real life CRIME. the fan is the one who started the riot and the fan is the one who should take the brunt of punishment. if there is a secondary culprit it is the NBA and Detroit--if this is not true--how did those fat spanish kids get on the floor ready to throw down? they took it upon themselves and the NBA obviously did not have enough security. What do you want Artest to do, let the kid knive him or something? Im not saying Artest was right in anyway, Im saying he had some justifcation in terms of self defense IMHO,

I don't dispute that the offending fans are culpable too, but as you correctly pointed out in your other post, Artest originally hit the wrong guy. That is unlawful. Under the law, every man is responsible for the natural and probable consquences of his actions. Consequently, that a person acted instinctually, however understandable it may be on a psychological level, is not a legally recognized excuse or justification.

As was pointed out above, Artest could have pointed out the offending fan to security.

I agree that the security at the arena was awful, and was a contributing factor to the ensuing violence. The players and fans, however, are accountable for their actions, both criminally and civilly, and the players will also likely be severely sanctioned by the NBA.

Do not discount the public relations aspect to this matter. Segments of the media will be expressing their outrage. Stern will want to send a clear signal that players that engage in this type of conduct will suffer severe consequences, in part, to placate the media.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/20/2004  6:17 PM
look, i'm not saying that under normal everyday circumstances, getting a cup of beer thrown in your face wouldn't tick me off to go at a person either...but these are professional athletes...normal street rules don't apply at sporting events...if they did, anytime someone shouted an obscenity at a player would be grounds to take violent actions...but that's not the case...

does anyone here think that if a major league ballplayer were to rush into the stands at a baseball game after getting beer thrown on him in the outfield (which i've seen happen before on several different occasions) that the player would be within his rights to go into the stands & start a physical altercation w/the fans? i don't think so...MLB would not approve of that, & neither should the NBA imho.

now what happened AFTER Artest went into the stands is a different story...some fans were hitting him, & he was well w/in his rights to defend himself...but he shouldn't have been there in the first place...this could all have been avoided if he'd just pointed out the fan who threw the beer & had him ejected & prosecuted...

in life, as in sports, the word "restraint" applies when there is reasonable opportunity to avoid physical conflicts

sorry if i sound like i'm preaching from my soap box, but i've been in enough situations like this where an ounce of restraint has helped me to avoid alot of needless headaches w/the law.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Masterplan
Member: #362
11/20/2004  9:39 PM
ok, my take. the fans started it. they took what was a bad incident and turned it into a historic disgrace. but artest shouldn't have gone into the stands, that really shouldn't happen. he's jsut crazy to do that. stephen jackson was also dumb to throw punches in the stands, not jsut get artest out of there. not sure what to make of jermaine, i would have thought he'd be less serious since the fans did rush the floor, but it looks like the dude wasn't much of a threat. all around, it was a frustrating game, emotions got high, but the fans made it an issue by provoking the players. but artest really set it off by running into the stands. but props to rasheed wallace, actually. he was the peacemaker in the original altercation that was jsut the players. wouldn't have thought that.
Big Fight in NBA GAME

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy