[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

[Game Thread 2/5/23] Knicks vs Sixers 6PM
Author Thread
CleaverGreene
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8756

2/5/2023  11:46 PM
martin wrote:Critical play

Yeah...Classic deception. Hart has been looking for help from the Art of War.

“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”

― Sun tzu, The Art of War

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
AUTOADVERT
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

2/6/2023  12:10 AM
WOW - what a nice win.

Starters getting blown out early but Hart, Duece, Evan to the rescue.

Was really nice to see the ball movement during parts of the game without so much iso.

Me - I didn’t miss RJ but did think overall team defense was pretty damn solid without him.

I thought refs were brutal and made every effort to keep Sixers in game early in the 4th but they just couldn’t get Philly the win. Not sure what the FT #s were overall but the amount of tricky-tac fouls they called against Knicks was crazy (IMO).

NYKMentality
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4385

2/6/2023  4:30 AM
martin wrote:

Just witnessed one of the greatest Comebacks within NYK Franchise History; the 4th biggest Comeback since dating back to 1996-1997? Memorable.

We were down 33-12 (-21) with 2:25 remaining of the 1st Q.

+

We won by the score of 108-97 (+11).

=

Went on a 96-64 Run throughout the final 45.7 minutes (+32).

That's what you call 45 minutes of pure domination. Slaughtered the hottest team in the NBA dating back to December and destroyed them by 32 Points throughout the final 45-46 minutes of play.

NYKMentality
Member: #4385

2/6/2023  4:54 AM
KnickDanger wrote:
martin wrote:Knicks have literally struck gold in the 2021 draft

Grimes, Rokas, Deuce, Sims

Isn't that the draft where some lost their minds because we traded the rights to Kai Jones and then didn't take Sharife Cooper? Not to mention we didn't tank?

I've never been a fan of tanking but I'm guilty of your post above.

I lost my **** after A.) Tre Mann getting drafted 1 pick ahead of us (I loved him @ the time) and then B.) Passing up on Sharife Cooper not only 1x but multiple times.

And man oh man am I glad to have been wrong because looking @ Sharife Cooper's NBA statistics? 🗑️. Career average of only 0.5 points per game? Career total of only 7 Points, 5 Assists and 5 Rebounds? Only 39 Career minutes played?!? I don't even think he's in the NBA anymore.

Sharife Cooper and the entire 2021 draft class is an example of why I'll never complain (again) about which players this Front Office drafts and/or doesn't draft; because it's now more than obvious that I'm far from some type of NBA Scout and/or NCAA guru.

I'll eat crow on this one.

Because had we drafted my two favorites in Trey Mann and Sharife Cooper while passing on Quentin Grimes and Deuce McBride? I'd be crying right now 😭

Even Jericho Sims is looking like a gigantic steal @ 58 (3rd to last player drafted) and Rokas Jokubaitis overseas @ 22 years of age has me extremely excited for his NBA debut (probably next year).

Philc1
Member: #8897

2/6/2023  7:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2023  7:11 AM
LivingLegend wrote:WOW - what a nice win.

Was really nice to see the ball movement during parts of the game without so much iso.

Me - I didn’t miss RJ but did think overall team defense was pretty damn solid without him.

I thought refs were brutal and made every effort to keep Sixers in game early in the 4th but they just couldn’t get Philly the win. Not sure what the FT #s were overall but the amount of tricky-tac fouls they called against Knicks was crazy (IMO).

I thought the game was actually called fairly evenly which clearly drove the sixers nuts. No one’s a bigger critic of corrupt gambling driven NBA officiating than me but the calls last night seemed fair at least for the most part. Knicks 28 personal fouls to Sixers 23 personal fouls. I’m used to seeing a bigger disparity plus Hartenstein committed 6 fouls because he had to play Embiid as physical as possible. Knicks did get a couple technical fouls in key spots that in the past the refs look the other way plus we got a break on a flagrant in the first half

Philc1
Member: #8897

2/6/2023  7:14 AM
franco12 wrote:2nd unit looked so much better without RJ!

EF has struggled with his shot the past several games- and he finally started to hit tonight. He's been sitting on the bench for basically the entire season.

2nd unit is effective because it’s the 2nd unit. Teams that are scouting us expect to play a half court team because that’s what the starting unit is. Then the second unit comes in and plays full court press with more ball movement and it throws them off

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/6/2023  7:38 AM

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Member: #748
2/6/2023  7:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2023  7:52 AM
NYKMentality wrote:
martin wrote:

Just witnessed one of the greatest Comebacks within NYK Franchise History; the 4th biggest Comeback since dating back to 1996-1997? Memorable.

+

=

That's what you call 45 minutes of pure domination. Slaughtered the hottest team in the NBA dating back to December and destroyed them by 32 Points throughout the final 45-46 minutes of play.

No this what happens when thibs is forced to give RJs 48mins to the role players and second unit. That’s why they won. And that’s how this FO needs to support thibs. Give him a roster that forces him to open the rotation. I rather lose with deuce / Obi and other high defensive energy players. I don’t see how 3 volume shooters (2 inconsistent) works for this team. But RJ off the bench would be special. He will have more of a green light with second unit than with first.

Our starting unit is driven by our two ALL STARS. That’s the foundation we should build on moving forward. RJ and EF (expensive backcourt) can cook off the bench. Bring in OG as a starter replacement (if we are buyers). He fits better next to our two ALL STARS. Or any SF that doesn’t have to put up 20 plus shots and still has enough winning plays in his tool box, mainly defensive IQ.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
ccch
Member: #3876

2/6/2023  8:31 AM

Good reason to cut his minutes down big time!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/6/2023  8:58 AM
NYKMentality wrote:
martin wrote:

+

=

and you got Kobe Fournier to thank for it. Came here to say that
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/6/2023  9:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2023  9:55 AM
blkexec wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
martin wrote:

+

=

No this what happens when thibs is forced to give RJs 48mins to the role players and second unit. That’s why they won. And that’s how this FO needs to support thibs. Give him a roster that forces him to open the rotation. I rather lose with deuce / Obi and other high defensive energy players. I don’t see how 3 volume shooters (2 inconsistent) works for this team. But RJ off the bench would be special. He will have more of a green light with second unit than with first.

Our starting unit is driven by our two ALL STARS. That’s the foundation we should build on moving forward. RJ and EF (expensive backcourt) can cook off the bench. Bring in OG as a starter replacement (if we are buyers). He fits better next to our two ALL STARS. Or any SF that doesn’t have to put up 20 plus shots and still has enough winning plays in his tool box, mainly defensive IQ.

Agree that RJ has to improve his game. Right now his only focus is his scoring totals. Rarely has any intentions of getting others involved. When his shot is off he loses energy and does not help the team in other areas. Feel that is the culprit in defensive energy. Has to have a better all around feel for in game strategy. Just not a good situational player right now.
However, as I did when many got on Randle, ignoring his attributes, I am going to disagree that RJ should be put on the second unit much less given up on. Also disagree that ANY FO would do what you are suggesting. RJ was the highest recent draft pick. Has been a perennial starter since day 1. He is an elite scorer when going to the basket. Prior to his recent 3pt struggles, he was averaging 16 a game and shooting 44% in previous 16 games. He has a great work ethic and has had no personal issues or problems with team mates. What he needs is development. It is up to the coaches to get him to be a better all around player, have better bball IQ and be a better facilitator. Kid has shown the ability to be elite. At this age, anyone saying we should give up on him has no business ever promoting the Knicks "developing/playing" their youth.

FO would also seem shortsighted if they just extended one of their young players and only half a year later decided to move on. Just not a smart look.
In terms of moving him to bench. Sure, if we want to make knee jerk moves to satisfy our curiosity to what may affect a win or two, you do it. But I thought we were about "long term development?
" If you are looking to develop your top prospect, you never demote him and kill his confidence. Especially, as noted above, he was recently on a nice streak of solid shooting. Think the FO has a couple more years in before they need to decide if RJ is for real. Thibs said it last night. We have young good players. Young players will make mistakes. We want them to get a little better each game" Let's let our yoot develop. Which includes your favorite player and Obi, who you claim brings something on defense. Lol

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
2/6/2023  9:22 AM
I'm in the best mood this morning! KD is all alone and the Brooklyn wannabe empire is over! And Kyrie will now get to poison Dallas and Luka, which I guarantee will prompt him to ask out within the next year. And best win of the season! Philly is a legit contender and has the best record in the entire league the last 2 month's and won 8 games on the road and we came back down 21!

Fournier's yearly monster game couldn't have come at a better time with the trade deadline on Thursday! Hopefully some GM's were fooled. I think Deuce has finally figured it out! That corner is his sweet spot and he's been knocking them down the last few games! He's everything we thought and wanted Ntilikina to be without the crazy stans.

Huge game too from our All-Star Randle. His floater game was on point and hit all the clutch shots! Also loved seeing Brunson cook Harden.

Sad that I didn't even notice RJ wasn't playing. Hope he's OK as he's a gamer and doesn't sit out games unless he's really sick or hurt but I'm honestly hoping we trade him in the next few games.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2023  9:47 AM
ccch wrote:

Good reason to cut his minutes down big time!

WE beat Miami without Brunson the other day.
If EF was this every night he'd be playing more.
If IQ was ready sooner he would have been ready sooner.
All we notice is RJ's misses, Randles turnovers, and Brunson's lack of court vision? Too bad, there is lot of good things happening.
RJ defense has tailed off this year vs. last. Any guesses?
RJ shot does not fall, he goes to the rim. Anyone notice the passing and playmaking the last week that lead to either an over time loss or win vs. some good teams?
The kid head might be messed up a bit. Fans are quick to make changes but reality is far from it that easy.
I don't have the answers, but somewhere between NYKnicksMentality and NYStateofmind I reality.
And we ready to move on from Mitch too with our recent play?
Yes, we are far from a perfect team and we need some pieces but they come at a cost. Picks are easy because they are not tangible players yet.

NYStateOfMind
Member: #5741
USA
2/6/2023  10:15 AM
You do realize there are only 48 minutes in regulation, right? lol

NYKMentality wrote:
martin wrote:

+

=

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/6/2023  10:20 AM
This is a next level move, impressive

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYStateOfMind
Member: #5741
USA
2/6/2023  10:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2023  10:37 AM
The Knicks out-hearted the Sixers and played tougher. If the calls were closer, the gap would have been even bigger. Ticky tack calls have now turned into phantom calls. Can't look or think about certain players without a foul being called, but you can hack/push Randle and sometimes Brunson and no call. I think JB gets more of those close calls because of his size and selling capabilities.

I'm not so impressed with the Sixers, they have 2 players who steamroll over players yet get the calls, and score a lot from the charity stripe. Their depth isn't great beyond Maxey. I don't see them as a chip team, but more so as another top-tier team.

I don't think offensive players should be allowed to initiate contact and still get the call. Defenders are already strapped with how tight they can defend. It is also dangerous for the defender to take these hits. A foul is a foul, offensive or defensive, if you create unnecessary contact, you are the fouler. Giannis, Embiid, and Harden are just a few who abuse this gift privilege. Don't even get me started on carries, palming, 3 steps, etc. How much of an advantage does the offense need?

In the end, nice to see a great Knicks win.

LivingLegend
Member: #1645

2/6/2023  12:37 PM
Philc1 wrote:

I thought the game was actually called fairly evenly which clearly drove the sixers nuts. No one’s a bigger critic of corrupt gambling driven NBA officiating than me but the calls last night seemed fair at least for the most part. Knicks 28 personal fouls to Sixers 23 personal fouls. I’m used to seeing a bigger disparity plus Hartenstein committed 6 fouls because he had to play Embiid as physical as possible. Knicks did get a couple technical fouls in key spots that in the past the refs look the other way plus we got a break on a flagrant in the first half

It was and is less about the quantity of the fouls vs the quality of the fouls.

I feel like the fouls given to Embid/Harden are so soft (touch) while our guys often have guys hanging all over them and can’t get a whistle. This always seems more prevalent in the garden - just don’t get the need to bail guys like Embid/Harden out.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

2/6/2023  12:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2023  12:54 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

I feel like the fouls given to Embid/Harden are so soft (touch) while our guys often have guys hanging all over them and can’t get a whistle. This always seems more prevalent in the garden - just don’t get the need to bail guys like Embid/Harden out.

Of course it's also addressed on page one in the NBA referee rule book -- "The superstar is always right."

blkexec
Member: #748
2/6/2023  1:07 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
blkexec wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
martin wrote:

+

=

Agree that RJ has to improve his game. Right now his only focus is his scoring totals. Rarely has any intentions of getting others involved. When his shot is off he loses energy and does not help the team in other areas. Feel that is the culprit in defensive energy. Has to have a better all around feel for in game strategy. Just not a good situational player right now.
However, as I did when many got on Randle, ignoring his attributes, I am going to disagree that RJ should be put on the second unit much less given up on. Also disagree that ANY FO would do what you are suggesting. RJ was the highest recent draft pick. Has been a perennial starter since day 1. He is an elite scorer when going to the basket. Prior to his recent 3pt struggles, he was averaging 16 a game and shooting 44% in previous 16 games. He has a great work ethic and has had no personal issues or problems with team mates. What he needs is development. It is up to the coaches to get him to be a better all around player, have better bball IQ and be a better facilitator. Kid has shown the ability to be elite. At this age, anyone saying we should give up on him has no business ever promoting the Knicks "developing/playing" their youth.

FO would also seem shortsighted if they just extended one of their young players and only half a year later decided to move on. Just not a smart look.
In terms of moving him to bench. Sure, if we want to make knee jerk moves to satisfy our curiosity to what may affect a win or two, you do it. But I thought we were about "long term development?
" If you are looking to develop your top prospect, you never demote him and kill his confidence. Especially, as noted above, he was recently on a nice streak of solid shooting. Think the FO has a couple more years in before they need to decide if RJ is for real. Thibs said it last night. We have young good players. Young players will make mistakes. We want them to get a little better each game" Let's let our yoot develop. Which includes your favorite player and Obi, who you claim brings something on defense. Lol

RJ experiment is going on 4 yrs. Are you looking to develop or win a chip? Everything has an expiration date and 4 yrs is a long time to evaluate a player. Who said give up on RJ? I said give up on this 3 headed foundation, regarding the starting unit. It’s a chemistry thing that’s all. All 3 players are great in a vacuum. But together not so much. RJ and Randle rarely have great games together.

Star J needs room to operate. He needs flow, movement and full court transition play.

Randle and JB is killing in half court sets. So I’m not giving up on anybody. I’m moving assets. Thibs is the one who gives up on players, if giving up means remove from the roster. That’s where your energy should go. I haven’t given up on anybody other than this foundation.

Other than that, you seem to state the obvious about yoots making mistakes. We have vets making mistakes 🤣. Mistakes is part of the game.

You disagree with my suggestion on the FO and I do not remember what your referring to. But the FO should add players that Thibs would play. And stop putting thibs in position like cam. He said he wasn’t in favor of the cam trade yet we still added him. So that’s what I was talking about. Give thibs the players he needs. Then build around that. For example, if RJ was healthy, thibs would’ve played him heavy mins. Deuce or EF would not have impacted the game like they did.

No RJ forced thibs to lean on JB and Randle while managing the rotation around them. Sorry I don’t have a lot of faith in thibs if the FO gave him an extremely deep team. Thibs seems better when you have a set of 2 solid stars and role players around them. I like RJ but he needs a certain team of players around him to succeed. No RJ forced thibs to spread out the mins.

I mentioned Obi because he was on the floor with the second unit that played well. And yes he gives more defensive energy than RJ or Randle sometimes. Yes Obi and the second unit are more consistent on defense than RJ and Randle. Again I’m talking defense and the energy of that second unit gives a lot of defensive energy period. Obi is part of that unit.

In general nyers are impatient because we on a 50 yr drought. It’s ok and it’s understandable. But not giving up on anybody including cam.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

2/6/2023  1:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2023  1:13 PM
LivingLegend wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Meanwhile the NBA and refs seem to be gifting the Lakers wins to try and keep them relevant. Atleast until LeBron breaks the scoring record. Seems about as much see tv as the flag football game espn tried to make us all watch yesterday. I can't even imagine how bad the ratings were for that until all the Knicks/sixers fans tuned in

[Game Thread 2/5/23] Knicks vs Sixers 6PM

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy