[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Shot hides most important fact: The Knicks are not a good team
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
11/19/2004  8:52 AM
Houston is not a good team, they have two stars and no depth, with limited offense and it took a miracle to beat them. No one should be happy with the way the team played.

There was no defense at all, no help defense everyone was just worried about themselves

Like I said we would not win 30 games without Kurt Thomas, and TT should be benched, he is a reason we got off to a bad shot, 3 forces and two turnovers.

Wilkens doesn;t have a clue, how to sub, when to foul, if McGrady had half a brain thank god no one in the NBA does, he would have just shot the ball with three seconds left and time would have expired. But he is selfish, like so many Knicks.

Its going to be a long season
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/19/2004  9:08 AM
Exactly, it's good that they won the game and I'm happy that they did but 9 out of 10 times you lose games when you're in that situation. Aside from KT, who played out of his mind offensively, the team played pretty poorly like MS described.

I said that they would win 45 games this season but if they keep playing this poorly I might have thought too highly of this team.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/19/2004  9:09 AM
man, the pessimism. I saw a totally different game.

these days I am not looking for perfection, but improvement. The Knicks aren't going to play a perfect game by any stretch of the mean, but if they play better than the previous games, I'll take it.

Wilkens HAS to start TT, it just doesn't make sense not to yet. And if TT doesn't play well? 12 minutes. That's a coaching improvement.

It's hard whether to decide to play JYD, Ariza or Penny off the bench. JJ wasn't playing the 3 and T-Mac wasn't really killing the Knicks, so he gave time to Ariza and Penny. Giving minutes to Ariza over JYD is a GOOD thing, even if the minutes are with bad play.

Nazr is 100 times the player he has been in Preseason and the other games. No all-star, but certainly much better than anything we saw last year, and that means he is turning into a bargaining chip for Isiah.

Crawford did take a few bad shots and didn't swing the ball nearly as much as he could, but it was much better than we have seen in other games.

Marb passed the ball and had a consistent game. Not stellar, but he is passing more.

Look, the Knicks ARE in rebuilding and learning mode, whether Isiah and/or Wilkens says it or not. Watch for the improvement over a 10 game swing, not day-to-day. This team is going to take MONTHS before we see obvious improvement.

Also, T-Mac is a super all-star, and Yao is an all-star. JJ is a solid role player as is Howard. Through in Ward and some of the others, and this is a pretty good team who is just in a little funk (they are still figuring out how to play too).
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
11/19/2004  9:13 AM
Any time you beat a team on the road...especially a potential playoff team you whould be happy.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
MS
11/19/2004  9:20 AM
Houston is not going to make the playoffs most likely
Spurs, Wolves, Jazz, Kings, Lakers, Mavericks, Suns, Nuggets are all going to make it before them. They are expecting too much from Sura

And Howard is not really all that solid anymore

If you look at the game, they were playing Ward, Mutumbo, Lue (15 points yikes) and Nocbar. So we really shouldn't have had a big problem. TT constantly didn't even fight to get back into the play after standing flat footed and got used.

Then there was no rotation, NAZ didn't move all night, he never ever challenged shots when a defender was beat.

Crawford had a good game, but his shot selection is just terrible, just because shots go in doesn't mean his selection is improving.

And Marbury doesn't really know how to play the game. He is a dynamic talent that passes his ass off but takes dumb shots, hasn't been aggressive when he should. Classic Marbury at the half he decides to show everyone he can shot a jump shot from half court instead of taking three more dribbles and taking a makeable shot.

HE had Ward and LUE on him and he wasn't that aggressive. Come on Steph step it up.
bernard
Member: #475
11/19/2004  9:21 AM
I'm with Andrew & Martin on this one. They won the game! Wilkins' game coaching was excellent, imo. Smart not to foul at the end. Smart to play Fugazy only 12 mins. Excellent play calls in each of last 2 dead balls ... KT slipping the screen and getting to the foul line w/o any time coming off clock, and the final play ... simple, but effective.

Yes, still a deeply flawed team, but if you'd told me before the season they'd be 3-4 at this point given their opposition, I would have taken it in a NY minute.

Best signs last night and last few games: Nazr's aggressiveness on O and on boards, Marbury's passing.

The things that trouble me most ... defense and so little running. We've got to push the ball more.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/19/2004  9:25 AM
Martin, Andew.. thanks. Nobody says we are winning a title this year. But we want to play better and see improvement from our young players. Rather than be happy to see Ariza, Crawford and Sweetney a major part of a nice 4th qtr run to beat a team with two players at a talent level we cant sniff, they moan about not being good.

thats pretty sad fellas... maybe you would find golf or tennis more to your liking.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
11/19/2004  9:26 AM
Martin you said good team D

What game were you watching?

I saw McGrady drive the ball on multiple occasions for wide open dunks, no weak side help at all. There was little rotation to help Naz when he was beat by Yao or to protect the back side. They were giving up wide open threes, the D was not that good at all tonight.

The coaching was good. Maybe Wilkens called a good play or two down the stretch but nothing that would lead you to believe the coaching was good. Anyone would have sat Thomas after he selfishly shot ill advised, and turned the ball over. We also should have seen a little JYD to muscle Tracy for at least 5 minutes in there. He didn't go to Penny early enough in the first half. I give him a B-
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/19/2004  9:29 AM
Im happy they won but I was disappointed in their lack of an inside game.I knew we were weak up front but too many times it was maybe one pass and a chuck.I agree with MS about Crawford's shot selection,he really is a chucker for all his skills.He needs to drive more.Unfortunately its still the same problem for the Knicks despite all the revamping,the Knicks are living and dying by the jumper.Maybe it was just one game and things arent as bad but they should be throwing it inside more to draw away the perimeter defenders.

I was ready to see KT packaged in a deal but from watching the game,I believe we should hold off unless its something the Knicks cant pass up.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/19/2004  9:32 AM
They stayed close enough to win it at the end.

Houstan is not a bad team, and still finding its way after a huge restructure.

You get lucky, and you lose a few that way also.

Craws shot was awful, but it went in. IT happens.

Isiah just getting hammered in the press!

TT is about cooked.
martin
USA
11/19/2004  9:34 AM
Posted by MS:

Houston is not going to make the playoffs most likely
Spurs, Wolves, Jazz, Kings, Lakers, Mavericks, Suns, Nuggets are all going to make it before them. They are expecting too much from Sura

If the Knicks were in the West, you would say the same thing, so you call Houston and the Knicks to be about the same ranking, and the Knicks won on the road. Good for them, they beat a team - albeit through a minor miracle - on the road.
And Howard is not really all that solid anymore

maybe, throw in Taylor and the combination is OK, nothing stellar.
If you look at the game, they were playing Ward, Mutumbo, Lue (15 points yikes) and Nocbar.

Kind of the same way the Knicks were playing Moochie, Penny and Ariza. The context is off.
So we really shouldn't have had a big problem. TT constantly didn't even fight to get back into the play after standing flat footed and got used.

Agreed. The guy SUCKS.
Then there was no rotation, NAZ didn't move all night, he never ever challenged shots when a defender was beat.

Yao? He was checking Yao. But Agreed, he is not the best center at rotating over to protect the basket, but what can you do? He is somewhere between a backup and a starter.
Crawford had a good game, but his shot selection is just terrible, just because shots go in doesn't mean his selection is improving.

I'll give you that one. And he has to improve his 1-on-1 D. The guys is young and coming to a new team. Give him another month or 2. Or 5.
And Marbury doesn't really know how to play the game. He is a dynamic talent that passes his ass off but takes dumb shots, hasn't been aggressive when he should. Classic Marbury at the half he decides to show everyone he can shot a jump shot from half court instead of taking three more dribbles and taking a makeable shot.

HE had Ward and LUE on him and he wasn't that aggressive. Come on Steph step it up.

There was more than a couple of times that he posted Lue. What can you say? Should he hog the ball and go to the basket himself every time and not do pick and rolls for Kurt? Don't swing the ball for Crawford? Not give the ball to TT in the high post? It's a balance, and as long as we see Marb doing less only-me shots, it's good.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/19/2004  9:34 AM
Martin, Andew.. thanks. Nobody says we are winning a title this year. But we want to play better and see improvement from our young players. Rather than be happy to see Ariza, Crawford and Sweetney a major part of a nice 4th qtr run to beat a team with two players at a talent level we cant sniff, they moan about not being good.
thats pretty sad fellas... maybe you would find golf or tennis more to your liking.
I had a feeling a few Knick haters would be upset over seeing the team win a tough road game. If the Knicks get a few more wins, these posters are gonna go crazy finding reasons to criticize the team.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/19/2004  9:36 AM
played poorly? agianst one of the best defensive teams on the road?

give me a f'in break.

that's a big time win any way you slice it. houston has 2 all world players and a stud coach and got beat at home by our knicks. everybody (except the usual suspect) had really solid games.

no defense at all? dude and dudettes, we locked them down in the 4th when we needed to. didn't you see nazr and kurt gaurd their man and then slide over and help like defensive studs last night? that might've been the best defensive game we played all year.

i can't believe what i'm reading.

we all think it's a 45 win team yet you're already finding fault with a win on the road against a western team? amazing.

golf? tennis? try jump rope or hopscotch...
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/19/2004  9:38 AM
I agree Crawford's shot selection is bad, but he's still helping the team overall. Just imagine how good he'll be once he learns to improve his shot selection. If a player with his skills already had good shot selection, he'd have been an all-star by now and there would have been no way we could have gotten him for just a few tiny expiring contracts.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/19/2004  9:41 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
I had a feeling a few Knick haters would be upset over seeing the team win a tough road game. If the Knicks get a few more wins, these posters are gonna go crazy finding reasons to criticize the team.

Im happy they won but I guess I was surprised this being the first game I watched at how in some ways the Knicks were dealing with the same old problems.I still dont want to see Isiah go for the quick fix though.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/19/2004  9:44 AM
IMO it was a great WIN. It was not a great GAME. i'm celebrating the hell out of the win and I agree with Steph it was a huge boost for the team. At the same time I think posters pointing to the Knicks' flaws that were evident throughout most of the game are still correct. It just seems like you should be able to let yourself party a little over an exhilirating win before going right back to hammering them.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/19/2004  9:48 AM
it's crazy dude.

everyone knows we're a mediocre team yet even after a big road win, these guys come here as soon as they wake up already pointing out the negatives.

they played a tough team on the road. they're not supposed to play well but they fought through and came up big down the stretch. we pretty much owned the 4th quarter and if it's not for t-mac hitting those jumpers, it may not have come down to the final possession. that's the thing these guys QUICKLY dismiss and start with the usual rant.

but whatever...
martin
USA
11/19/2004  9:50 AM
Posted by MS:

Martin you said good team D

What game were you watching?

I saw McGrady drive the ball on multiple occasions for wide open dunks, no weak side help at all. There was little rotation to help Naz when he was beat by Yao or to protect the back side. They were giving up wide open threes, the D was not that good at all tonight.

Maybe good team D was the wrong phrase, but this was certainly not Indiana in the first half or Boston. It's better team D. Semi-consistent. Improvement.
The coaching was good. Maybe Wilkens called a good play or two down the stretch but nothing that would lead you to believe the coaching was good. Anyone would have sat Thomas after he selfishly shot ill advised, and turned the ball over. We also should have seen a little JYD to muscle Tracy for at least 5 minutes in there. He didn't go to Penny early enough in the first half. I give him a B-

I would have liked to see JYD too, especially in the first half. Who do you sit? Ariza? Then everyone complains about not giving minutes to the young guy. Penny? He is a main stay in the rotation, and you try to keep a consistent rotation. T-Mac is more of a big 2-gurad than a 3. JYD guards big 3s or small 4s. He is a better low post defender than a wing defender. Half dozen of one...
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/19/2004  9:54 AM
its pretty funny, if we win its because the opponent isnt good. If we lose its because we arent good. In this case its both. Hous is the best defensive team in the NBA and they have two of the top 10 players in the league but who cares.

If this was KVH, KT, Eisley, Anderson, Ward and the golden girls from last year I would probably share in some of the overall pessimism, but we have promising young players with great upside that are getting better every night.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/19/2004  9:55 AM
Just a few points...

I don't have the official stats in front of me but I think Yao was held to like 4 points in the 4th qtr and the KNICKS TEAM scored 32 points in the 4th

seems/looked like a good OVERALL game to me.
Shot hides most important fact: The Knicks are not a good team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy