[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

4 Possible Paths to move out of mediocrity
Author Thread
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

12/1/2022  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2022  12:31 PM
SergioNYK wrote:It's kind of simple (well, not really) to me. Draft well first and foremost. Wherever you end up. Giannis was the 15th pick and Jokic was the 41st pick. You do not need to necessarily tank unless it's for a generational talent but then again, you will still have a 86% chance you will NOT end up with your guy. And then you invest as many resources as possible into scouting and player development. Followed by smart reasonable trades and no, trading unprotected picks 5 years from now for Spida wasn't it.

We are not Isiah's Knicks where it's hopeless. We have some nice young pieces, tradeable contracts and tons of draft picks. We don't have to be stuck in mediocrity forever.

This. Just keep amassing draft capital and try to make good selections. It’s not sexy like signing KD and Kyrie but it works and has worked. Kobe, Kawahi and Dirk were not top draft picks and they were even traded by the teams that drafted them for trash

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/1/2022  12:46 PM
Philc1 wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:It's kind of simple (well, not really) to me. Draft well first and foremost. Wherever you end up. Giannis was the 15th pick and Jokic was the 41st pick. You do not need to necessarily tank unless it's for a generational talent but then again, you will still have a 86% chance you will NOT end up with your guy. And then you invest as many resources as possible into scouting and player development. Followed by smart reasonable trades and no, trading unprotected picks 5 years from now for Spida wasn't it.

We are not Isiah's Knicks where it's hopeless. We have some nice young pieces, tradeable contracts and tons of draft picks. We don't have to be stuck in mediocrity forever.

This. Just keep amassing draft capital and try to make good selections. It’s not sexy like signing KD and Kyrie but it works and has worked. Kobe, Kawahi and Dirk were not top draft picks and they were even traded by the teams that drafted them for trash

I agree. (cough-cough)

Ian Begly has a **** article today about "knicks front office and Thibs under scrutiny internally".
No ****.
but by whom? Themselves? Dolan?
Clickbait article?

Nobody in the universe preseason had them picked to be anything more than "struggle to make play in game despite improvement".
It might have been hoped that Brunson would unlock the universe, but the reality is not that apparent.

What is the alternative? Fire Thibs? Ok, Lets assume Johnny Bryant is the man. he is I thought the highest paid assistant. My guess is he is the heir apparent. What can he bring that Thibs can't? And if logical, that Thibs would be ignoring? "Thibs is stubborn". Lame excuse. We don't know the man like that.
Bring in a new FO? To do what? Starphuck and leverage the franchise? Leon could do it. he could have gotten DM its assumed. "Wait until a star wants to be moved". WE can do that.
"Keep drafting and mine for Gold". We can and are doing it.
Lose our minds over draftee's? How? take the clickbait and get pissed over RJ and think OBI can rebound better. Obi looks tiny under the basket. Could we have thought his lateral quickness would be better and put him at SF? Not working if so.
RJ is talented but inconsistant. he does get to the line with near elite rate. Im bias, I like the kid.
Issue with randle is he is our most physical player. Brunson is good. Very good. But as we all know we have no go to super duper star.
Keep mining.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

12/1/2022  11:08 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/1/2022  11:09 PM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

I agree. (cough-cough)

Ian Begly has a **** article today about "knicks front office and Thibs under scrutiny internally".
No ****.
but by whom? Themselves? Dolan?
Clickbait article?

Nobody in the universe preseason had them picked to be anything more than "struggle to make play in game despite improvement".
It might have been hoped that Brunson would unlock the universe, but the reality is not that apparent.

What is the alternative? Fire Thibs? Ok, Lets assume Johnny Bryant is the man. he is I thought the highest paid assistant. My guess is he is the heir apparent. What can he bring that Thibs can't? And if logical, that Thibs would be ignoring? "Thibs is stubborn". Lame excuse. We don't know the man like that.
Bring in a new FO? To do what? Starphuck and leverage the franchise? Leon could do it. he could have gotten DM its assumed. "Wait until a star wants to be moved". WE can do that.
"Keep drafting and mine for Gold". We can and are doing it.
Lose our minds over draftee's? How? take the clickbait and get pissed over RJ and think OBI can rebound better. Obi looks tiny under the basket. Could we have thought his lateral quickness would be better and put him at SF? Not working if so.
RJ is talented but inconsistant. he does get to the line with near elite rate. Im bias, I like the kid.
Issue with randle is he is our most physical player. Brunson is good. Very good. But as we all know we have no go to super duper star.
Keep mining.

That article is nonsense. Unless Dolan is Dolan’ing again but I doubt it. Knicks are at win/loss where everyone expected them to be maybe slightly better

fwk00
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6048

12/3/2022  4:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/3/2022  4:43 PM
Fournier and McBride for Bogdanovich and Corey Joseph. Whatever it takes.

Who says no?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/3/2022  5:12 PM
fwk00 wrote:Fournier and McBride for Bogdanovich and Corey Joseph. Whatever it takes.

Who says no?

Why do you think Detroit even picks up the phone for this exchange?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fwk00

12/3/2022  10:34 PM
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:Fournier and McBride for Bogdanovich and Corey Joseph. Whatever it takes.

Who says no?

They do it because the phone is ringing.

Look, deals always start somewhere. Bog is 35 and paid more. Detroit can lose more economically than that.

Joseph is yet another PG on a PG heavy team. McBride is young with no oexpectations that a coach owes himm minutes. Opens up time for the draft picks to strut their stuff.

Knicks may have to throw in a future.

Fournier gets out of NY. Knicks pick up a bit more 3 point firepower to get through the season without all hell breaking loose.

Detroit saves money while losing.

So why pick up the phone? Money talks.

fwk00

12/3/2022  11:24 PM
jskinny35 wrote:Path 1)
We can make a conscious effort to play the young players exclusively and will likely regress/lose more games. We will draft higher in a loaded draft (eg go from 13-14 to pick 8-9).

Path 2)
We consolidate our players/positions and package several players (with picks) in a trade for a star/leader. We have to give up 2023 picks to do this. Who is that star we can obtain that instantly becomes our best player and leader...Durant, KAT, Booker?

Path 3)
We have a firesale and trade several of the following (RJ, IQ, Toppin, Randle, Rose) - to load up and obtain more draft picks to package for a higher draft position in 2023 draft.

Path 4)
We keep going with no moves and likely finish around 40-42 wins. We draft around 13-14 and also keep Mavs pick in the teens. No trades

- I would go with path 1 or path 3 due to this draft reportedly being a sure thing to land a better player if draft in top 7-8. Believe it's realistic to offer pick 9-10 + 14 + future 1st to get to 4-6. Despite our struggles drafting well in early 1st round - it seems to be our best chance to finally land a star.

Which do you pick and why?

Well, all of the above.

IMO, you have Brunson, Grimes, and Sims as keepers. Everyone else and every pick is on the table.

The goal is to trade volume for quality (talent or better picks). Sounds obvious. But I'm not talking about "home runs". Certain players have traditionally added key chemistry to the teams they join. Rubio and Crowder are two names that come to mind. There are others. They aren't stat stars, they just make it work.

Now Crowder happens to be available. I'd put Alex Caruso, Corey Joseph, Luke Kennard, Caleb Martin, Joe Ingles, Pat Coughnaton, Tobias Harris, Matisse Thybulle, Dario Saric, Matt Delavadova, Devin Vassell, Thaddeus Young as doable trade targets that add character or chemistry to the Knicks. I have no idea if they're healthy or otherwise impaired but they are an archetype for more entertaining basketball.

None make us contenders but they make us competitive compared to the lackluster effort we get game to game.

martin
USA
12/3/2022  11:27 PM
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

Who says no?

Look, deals always start somewhere. Bog is 35 and paid more. Detroit can lose more economically than that.

Joseph is yet another PG on a PG heavy team. McBride is young with no oexpectations that a coach owes himm minutes. Opens up time for the draft picks to strut their stuff.

Fournier gets out of NY. Knicks pick up a bit more 3 point firepower to get through the season without all hell breaking loose.

Detroit trades better players for worse players? This can’t be real.

fwk00

12/4/2022  12:04 AM
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

Who says no?

So you are telling me that you watch the Knicks, game after game, play worse players on the floor than those on the bench and you think a trade proposal that moves Detroit's 30 somethings out of the way of their high draft picks so that they can develop is shocking.

All I said is that all trades start with a conversation. But of course, in Knick's World, every body else's players are all-stars and the ones we trade are dreck.

Okay, let's make you happy. Let's trade RJ and Quickly and this year's first rounder for Bogs and Joseph. Probably not enough for Detroit to pick up the phone. Right?

wargames
Member: #6053

12/4/2022  2:47 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/4/2022  3:43 PM
Chicago Sends Out: Derozan, Vucevic, Ayo
Chicago Gets: Julius Randle, Patrick Beverly, 2027 Lakers pick, Two Knicks protected pick(s)

LA Sends Out: Russell Westbrook, Patrick Beverly, 2027 Lakers Pick, 2029 Lakers Pick
LA Gets: Derozan, Vucevic, Fournier

NY Send Out: Julius Randle, Fournier, Two Knicks protected pick(s)
NY Gets: Russell Westbrook, Ayo, Lakers 2029

Why Chicago does it? It saves them some money while allowing them to still put a competitive team around the floor. It also gives them back a lot of the draft picks they traded. Julius is a definite upgrade at PF, Patrick Beverly might work as a PG next to Lavine, and they get one of the highly coveted Lakers picks to potentially make another move later. They are sending out the best player in this trade but are getting back the second best player and three draft picks.

Why LA does it? They get Derozan and Vucevic for their two first rounders (27 & 29) while moving Russell Westbrook. They also get a shooter to help space the floor in Fournier. This gets them in the contender conversation.

Why NY does it? They move two of their bigger contracts for one year of Russell, while getting a coveted Lakers pick and another promising player in Ayo. It gives them more future assets to try and trade for star. Specifically taking a couple of protected picks and turning them into an unprotected Lakers pick. They still have their PG in Brunson and it clears time for the kids. They are trading their current best player Julius but he and Fournier have shown this current teams ceiling. It’s not high and they either play a lot of minutes or get benched.

Knicks roster
Brunson
Grimes
RJ
Cam
Mitch

Bench
IQ
Rose or McBride
Ayo
Obi
IHart

Basically the whole team gets faster. The Knicks aren’t the best shooters but they are a young team (outside of rose) and can focus on running the opponent out the gym. The Knicks haven’t traded any of their youth and if the plan is to keep Thibs so he can finish the season. At least they didn’t move his favorite two PG’s in Brunson and Rose. The Knicks also get to really see Cam, Ayo, IQ, Grimes, and Toppin on their rookie contracts.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
martin
USA
12/4/2022  3:16 PM
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

Who says no?

So you are telling me that you watch the Knicks, game after game, play worse players on the floor than those on the bench and you think a trade proposal that moves Detroit's 30 somethings out of the way of their high draft picks so that they can develop is shocking.

All I said is that all trades start with a conversation. But of course, in Knick's World, every body else's players are all-stars and the ones we trade are dreck.

Okay, let's make you happy. Let's trade RJ and Quickly and this year's first rounder for Bogs and Joseph. Probably not enough for Detroit to pick up the phone. Right?

I can tell you literally have zero clue what Detroit is and has been doing with the players they have added to roster.

They’ve purposely added 30yo vets to the team to help the young kids grow. The GM and coach have said this out load, repeatedly.

Every else you suggest is just kinda wrong and the rest I don’t know what you are talking about.

fwk00

12/4/2022  5:22 PM
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

Who says no?

I can tell you literally have zero clue what Detroit is and has been doing with the players they have added to roster.

They’ve purposely added 30yo vets to the team to help the young kids grow. The GM and coach have said this out load, repeatedly.

Every else you suggest is just kinda wrong and the rest I don’t know what you are talking about.

All I'm saying is that the point of trading is to trade for better players. You seem surprised by that.

martin
USA
12/4/2022  5:33 PM
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
martin wrote:

Who says no?

All I'm saying is that the point of trading is to trade for better players. You seem surprised by that.

Because Detroit would downgrade from Bogs - who is 33 by the way and who Detroit just extended for 2 more years - to Fournier and also lose a heady PG in Corey Joseph who Detroit wants to help mentor Killian and Cade in the same way Rose has done for the Knicks while playing alongside IQ. McBride is barely a prospect they would be interested in.

Your trade makes zero sense for Detroit. It’s at least gotta be reasonable

4 Possible Paths to move out of mediocrity

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy