[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How would you rebuild the Knicks? Realistically!
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
11/18/2004  9:18 AM
Personally I think you start be moving people that do similiar things, and if it takes a year or so I think Isiah has to try instead of adding more and more salary.

Evaluate our young talent

Michael Sweetney: Can he be an All-Star?

The answer is maybe, at his very best he could average 18pts and 12rbs. And that’s his best, he lack the athleticism to keep of with the quicker highly skilled power forwards. Do we want to lose him no. For Eddy Curry I think you need to entertain the idea.

Curry: Is a tradable asset no matter what happens. I posted in the Curry thread, that Ewing should be hired if we make this deal, because if Isiah decides to do it he has to go all the way and constantly have someone on this kid and keep him out of the soul food restaurants, because he has a tendency to eat everything I sight. (15pts 8rbs 1 blk)

Trevor Ariza: You don’t move for anyone right now, he is athletic humble, enjoys playing defense and in three years when he puts on 15 pounds we have ourselves Shawn Marion (16pts 8rbs 2stls)

Jamaal Crawford: He is a great talent but he needs the ball in his hands to realize it. He is more of an Allen Iverson type that is going to need 20 shots a game to be truly effective. He doesn’t play defense which isn’t something you can over come with this team. His numbers as of right now should sixth man numbers not starter. If they can package him for a defensive minded player who is athletic I say do it. (Pietrus is 22 and loves playing defense they need to look into it.

Marbury: He is the face for the Franchise and Isiah will never move him. He is passing the ball as good as anyone just doesn’t have any finishers, so I think he finally gets it but needs to play defense otherwise he will never be the player he can be.

Trade Bait: Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Penny Hardaway (Naz keep as a back-up center)

Isiah will do what is necessary to add talent we all know that, and by next year he will turn TT and or Penny into an All-Star with a long term deal

Possible Free Agents: Steven Hunter, Dalembert, Stro Swift. And hope to god another Ariza falls into our lap.

The NBA is all about luck. Duncan, Wallace (no one talks about Dumars if that deal doesn't fall into his lap), Suns we just need a little
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/18/2004  10:59 AM
I think your suggesting what Isiah is doing. I'm not in love with all him moves and I think every one including the Marbury trade has some question marks attached to it.

When I look at the roster and the contracts Layden left behind there wasnt much to work with. Sweetney had no value, so your pieces to work with were Dice, Ward and Lampe. If it was a situation where most of the contracts expired after a year or two I would have been in favor of rebuilding through the draft, especially with a guy like Isiah who's got a good history there. The problem was with contacts of guys like KVH, Spoon, Houston, Shandon and Eisley all running for at least 3 years that just wasnt realistic. Your picks would be mediocre and there was no cap space in the immediate future.

So plan B is go half and half. Get a guy like Marbury who can help you win now, put fans in the seats and keep management happy, but still work on getting younger and turning this roster over. My big knock is using a pick AND Lampe in the Marbury trade but water under the bridge... I'm over it.

The next phase it to aquire as many assets as you can and flexibility so you can make GOOD trades. The other part is we need to execute in the draft. So far I give Isiah a C+ and an A. The C+ is because I like Crawford but this roster ISNT flexible right now and if a good trade opportunity comes up we wont be players until next offseason when we have a lot of expiring contracts. The A is because we didnt even have a #1 pick, but we came away with Ariza who's a top 10 player from last year's draft, and can clearly have a big role with this team for years.

To me Isiah's real impact make or break period will be next year. He's got a #1 pick and $35mm in expiring contracts. He's got a great opportunity to balance the team, add young players and trim payroll. Time will tell.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/18/2004  11:14 AM
Isiah's biggest move will come when he hires a defensive minded coach who can design a scheme that will fit his current roster. Not all shemes fit the talent level that one inherits. What we need is an innovative young coach who can get along with his players. A coach that guys will want to go to battles for. One who played the game at a high level and most of all is a champion. Lenny has all of that minus the intensity necessary to drive a team like N.Y to the promise land. My list is as follow:

1 Phil Jackson
2 Bill Laimbeer
3 Mark Agwire

As you all know, we need a big man and that will be our main priority. However, another coach is as necessary.
The true Knickabocker..........
deebo
Member: #740
11/18/2004  11:21 AM
To me Isiah's real impact make or break period will be next year. He's got a #1 pick and $35mm in expiring contracts. He's got a great opportunity to balance the team, add young players and trim payroll. Time will tell.
Fish, you touched on a great point. That's why I don't see why we should go for Curry and get rid of Sweetney. Before the season, most people were saying that we were going to win 45 games. That is still possible. Our poor play of lately has been because of TT, not because of us not having a center. If we could trade TT, instead of Sweetney, for a decent SF, we would be back on pace to 45 wins. We need to wait until the off-season to get a big man. By no means I think we should trade Sweetney. Since IT has been in NY, Knicks fans are no longer patient. Wait until the off-season to make a move for a big man.
Don''t sleep!
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
11/18/2004  11:25 AM
Trade Sweetney for Curry, tank the season, fire Wilkens, hire Phil Jackson, trade expiring contracts, trade up in this years draft and draft a franchise big.
MS
11/18/2004  11:28 AM
I have no problem tanking the season, if we do this deal, and win 30 games or anything under its a better season than going 5 games in the first round of the playoffs and losing. You can add through the draft, and replace the coach, and start new which is a better plan than play real hard, and fall short and be in the same place as last year.
deebo
11/18/2004  11:33 AM
No way IT tanks the season. If so, he should've done that last year.
Don''t sleep!
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  11:36 AM
how do you tank a season? Tell Marbury, Crawford, KT and guys not to play hard? Tanking never works in any sport.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
11/18/2004  11:41 AM
"Encourage" Houston to take the year off, continue to ask Marbury to be a pass first guy, rout the offense through TT and trade Sweetney, all the while undermining your coach.

Spurs tanked, and got Duncan. Cavs tanked and got Lebron.
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  11:49 AM
Cavs were just bad and the Spurs didnt tank, they were a 60 win team that lost David Robinson to a season ending injury. How's tanking working for the Bulls and Warriors? Please...
deebo
11/18/2004  11:54 AM
Tanking is a bad idea. We need to get that 3 seed (win the division), and win our first round series against the #6 seed. We need this to gain confidence for next season. We have Starbury, Crawford, Sweetney, Nazr, etc. all who haven't made it past the first round. It's called MOTIVATION. If we make it to the second rouond of the playoffs, Crawford may come back next year 20 lbs. heavier and all muscle. Picture that
Don''t sleep!
MS
11/18/2004  12:11 PM
Again talking about motivation is a waste of breathe. These players have nothing to be motivated about either you have it or you don't. Losing either hearts you or you laugh like a bitch (tt)

If playing ball in the best city in the world, for one of the storied franchises isn't enough then get the **** out.

Aside from the fact these players can make themselves more endoursment money here, by winning and being committed should be added motivation its not. John Starks couldn't speak English and he was involved in many business and marketing deals. So its proof if you leave it on the floor and play with heart your going to get paid.

Its really a shame, that God had no idea what a mistake he was making giving half these players the oppurtunity to lead an easy life, when millions of people would kill to leave their heart on the floor for a tenth of what these guys make. For some reason I love the NBA. But one thing is abundently clear: THE NBA SUCKS!

turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
11/18/2004  12:25 PM
ms............what are you talking about man. are you crazy...........you just have no idea...........these guys "have kids to feed"

deebo
11/18/2004  12:25 PM
So, tanking the season is acceptable. That would show no heart and they definitely wouldn't be earning their salary.
Don''t sleep!
jazz74
Member: #371
11/18/2004  12:39 PM
i would go as far to say that no one on the roster is safe given the right price. i would trade marbury even if he is the face of the franchise. but realistically, we won't because of his contract, repitation and he is box office. i would continue to shop for takers on tim thomas. i would look for the right deal but no need to be impatient and kick him out for peanuts. i am willing to wait until the summer when his expiring contract means more to teams. i would keep thomas and trade sweetney for curry. curry is still a talent that can be one of the best centers in the east once shaq retires. he can still block shots and anchor the defense in the middle. we need him more than any other team but i have a feeling memphis will offer a better deal than us. i would also let lenny coach the whole year no matter what happens. we need stability to see what we can do. we are struggling now but i think after the all- star break, we could be one of the hottest teams with the soft schedule. patience is the key. we can not have too much movement.
jazz74
Member: #371
11/18/2004  12:41 PM
oh' when i said i would keep thomas, i meant kurt thomas. sorry.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/18/2004  12:53 PM
Why would we tank the season, specially when we don't own our first round pick? Oh, I see, you are a Sun's fan.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  1:01 PM
that was last season... we have our #1 this year
MS
11/18/2004  1:22 PM
If Isiah gave away another first round pick in that deal he should be fired, as the suns got far and away the better deal
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/18/2004  1:28 PM
I think considering what IT came into, he is doing the right thing, try to stay competitive now while stockpiling good young talent....I don't understand the impatience of some people, if we were to blow this team up, there would still be a season or two with a high payroll assuming we took back some expiring deals and seasons of losing, I mean if we can't deal with this transition now, how were we going to deal with a full blown rebuild?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
How would you rebuild the Knicks? Realistically!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy