Fire Thibs
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/21/2022  10:17 AM
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:Maybe we should be congratulating Thibs on keeping the Knicks in games and winning when maybe they shouldn’t be. But then that is fools gold, like our first season with him.

I am most concerned with RJ. Dude just got extended, and I am not sure that his struggles are related to the pressure of signing the big money deal.

I had hoped Brunson would unlock potential, but maybe it is Thibs system on offense that sucks.

I think this is a large part of it, especially the fool's gold part. And then, unfortunately, the 2020 season success has set off some further missteps after that.

WE are a desperate group.

Where does Quinn Snyder go? Nets if they blow it up if he is cool to build from the ground up and at least a 5 year contract.

Boston if Mazulla craps out.
ATL if Mac can’t get out of first round.
Detroit who goes long with a culture build.

We just started season three. One game below 500.

AUTOADVERT
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/21/2022  11:22 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:Just saying, every time over the last decade that the Knicks finished with a winning record. Mike Woodson was part of the coaching staff.

Such an underrated coach

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/21/2022  11:24 AM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:
franco12 wrote:Maybe we should be congratulating Thibs on keeping the Knicks in games and winning when maybe they shouldn’t be. But then that is fools gold, like our first season with him.

I am most concerned with RJ. Dude just got extended, and I am not sure that his struggles are related to the pressure of signing the big money deal.

I had hoped Brunson would unlock potential, but maybe it is Thibs system on offense that sucks.

I think this is a large part of it, especially the fool's gold part. And then, unfortunately, the 2020 season success has set off some further missteps after that.

Where does Quinn Snyder go? Nets if they blow it up if he is cool to build from the ground up and at least a 5 year contract.

I have no idea what you are talking about or responding to

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
11/21/2022  11:29 AM
Philc1 wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:Just saying, every time over the last decade that the Knicks finished with a winning record. Mike Woodson was part of the coaching staff.

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/woodsmi01c.html

Seems the hype from under informed fans makes him over rated now.
We all love Mike. he got canned for not being Steve Kerr and triangle centric. Nobody gave him an NBA job after.
Was he really the reason we got 4th seed or just a part of an overall good job by all?
Im not taking anything away from him, but Im not handing him sole credit either.

Nalod
USA
11/21/2022  11:30 AM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

“Fire thibs and hire Snyder”!

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/21/2022  11:37 AM
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:
martin wrote:

“Fire thibs and hire Snyder”!

I am having trouble connecting the dots to what either I or Franco posted but it's still Monday morning for me.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/21/2022  12:37 PM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

We all love Mike. he got canned for not being Steve Kerr and triangle centric. Nobody gave him an NBA job after.
Was he really the reason we got 4th seed or just a part of an overall good job by all?
Im not taking anything away from him, but Im not handing him sole credit either.

I agree Phil. Unfortunately there are some well respected fans who are itching to always have an opposite opinion or……

They throw shade at a coach then end it by saying “I’m not taking anything away from him”. I’m like you just did 🤦‍♂️. That’s the insanity I refuse to unwrap. But if anybody said anything negative about the ole mighty Thibs shet hits the fan.

Woodson was one of our better coaches and his record speaks for itself. He’s not coming here so let his knick legacy Rest In Peace. Let’s only hope and pray Thibs can get his team to play for him like Woodson did. Let’s hope and pray the FO finds Thibs some players like the FO did for woodson.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/21/2022  1:36 PM
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

I agree Phil. Unfortunately there are some well respected fans who are itching to always have an opposite opinion or……

They throw shade at a coach then end it by saying “I’m not taking anything away from him”. I’m like you just did 🤦‍♂️. That’s the insanity I refuse to unwrap. But if anybody said anything negative about the ole mighty Thibs shet hits the fan.

Woodson was one of our better coaches and his record speaks for itself. He’s not coming here so let his knick legacy Rest In Peace. Let’s only hope and pray Thibs can get his team to play for him like Woodson did. Let’s hope and pray the FO finds Thibs some players like the FO did for woodson.

the record says he had one good season... remember Melo kind quit on DAntoni, Woodson came in, Melo was great for him for a year and they got good runs from a bunch of old guys. Tyson Chandler had a DPOY. Melo had his best season as a Knick. Woodson had good players and they played well. There was no magic sorry bud

Taking Fizdale's trash to the playoffs and getting this group of bricklayers to .500 over 2+ years speaks for itself.

Lets get some bigtime talent in here and see what happens

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
11/21/2022  1:56 PM
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

Yes, Woodson was one of our better coaches. Thats how bad it has been. I agree, sorry that did not come out.
We get HOF guys in like Larry and its awful! Guy goes to finals previous two years and then Isiah seduces him with riches. Insane times!
And Woodson did nothing wrong given the roster he had from the 54 win season to the 37 the next. 5 HOF players retired on us.

EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
11/21/2022  3:11 PM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

I am missing the part of your link that disputes that he is a good coach.

Look at the ATL progression.

This is the Randle.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/21/2022  5:49 PM
I believe some of you are remembering only half of what happened with Woodson. It started out well. Woodson looked like the first coach who could get JR to keep it together, on and off the court. Melo was happy because the offense revolved around him. The defense was good, which was Woodson's calling card.

By the tine he left, he had all but given up on coaching the team. JR went back to his old self. Woodson would call a timeout to stop the bleeding, but he wouldnt have an answer. Just let them regroup. Got so bad that Melo screamed at him to coach during a timeout because he was just standing there with a blank expression on his face.

He was a great coach in Atl, good coach for a while in NY. But he got burned out as head coach pretty fast. Mike Miller available?

wargames
Member: #6053

11/21/2022  10:31 PM
GustavBahler wrote:I believe some of you are remembering only half of what happened with Woodson. It started out well. Woodson looked like the first coach who could get JR to keep it together, on and off the court. Melo was happy because the offense revolved around him. The defense was good, which was Woodson's calling card.

By the tine he left, he had all but given up on coaching the team. JR went back to his old self. Woodson would call a timeout to stop the bleeding, but he wouldnt have an answer. Just let them regroup. Got so bad that Melo screamed at him to coach during a timeout because he was just standing there with a blank expression on his face.

He was a great coach in Atl, good coach for a while in NY. But he got burned out as head coach pretty fast. Mike Miller available?

Woodson wasn’t a good coach and that promise they made to JR to motivate him was really robbing Peter to pay Paul. They needed his scoring off the bench to keep the team going whenever Melo Sat. At SG they probably just needed a 3&D guy.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Philc1

11/21/2022  10:41 PM
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

You conveniently left out Woodson having the most successful Knicks season in 20 years by far with a 54 win season. And he somehow did it without Elf!

Philc1

11/21/2022  10:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:I believe some of you are remembering only half of what happened with Woodson. It started out well. Woodson looked like the first coach who could get JR to keep it together, on and off the court. Melo was happy because the offense revolved around him. The defense was good, which was Woodson's calling card.

Everything was fine and dandy with Woodson until the NBA’s oldest roster…got old.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

11/21/2022  10:58 PM
Until Thibs got here the only time the Knicks ever played defense in the past two decades was under Woodson. Fans loved to hate on him too.
Nalod
USA
11/22/2022  4:34 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

Woodson was fine. NO complaints. Great guy. Did not get a head gig until Indy called him back to college.
Good for him, thats a great job BTW. He did great with a top of career Melo and a HOF retiring cast.
It was a fun season. But it ended and he was given no PG and Bargs. It was not his fault. He coached with what he had.

SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
11/22/2022  8:52 AM
Nalod wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Such an underrated coach

Not really.

Woodson was fine. NO complaints. Great guy. Did not get a head gig until Indy called him back to college.
Good for him, thats a great job BTW. He did great with a top of career Melo and a HOF retiring cast.
It was a fun season. But it ended and he was given no PG and Bargs. It was not his fault. He coached with what he had.

Agree 110! Replacing Woody and Grunwald with Phil Jackson and Fisher/Hornecek was one of the worst decisions this franchise has made! That regime deserved at least one more season, even though the Bargnani trade was awful.

ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

11/22/2022  9:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2022  9:16 AM
There are no reasons to believe that this team is more talented than its record this season suggests. I doubt another coach could achieve more with this team. The players need to step up and develop for the team to improve. It is still possible, seeing that we are one of the younger teams in the league. But it will require stability and consistency. Knee-jerk sideways trades or firing the coach would mess with stability and consistency and should be avoided right now.

Unless we want to dismantle it all and tank for Victor. But then: to how many false starts and resets would this amount in the last three decades?

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/22/2022  9:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/22/2022  10:01 AM
ESOMKnicks wrote:There are no reasons to believe that this team is more talented than its record this season suggests. I doubt another coach could achieve more with this team. The players need to step up and develop for the team to improve. It is still possible, seeing that we are one of the younger teams in the league. But it will require stability and consistency. Knee-jerk sideways trades or firing the coach would mess with stability and consistency and should be avoided right now.

Unless we want to dismantle it all and tank for Victor. But then: to how many false starts and resets would this amount in the last three decades?

Who is Victor? Lol. We all have a better chance of winning Powerball.

A good coach for me is one that players play hard for. One that players want to play for.
A coach that is not afraid to make adjustments throughout the season. Thibs is that.
Several other factors have impacted the team that are not named Thibs.
Grimes seems to make a difference on defense. He just got back.
MR getting hurt.
RJ having a poor start made a difference.
Guys not hitting shots made a difference.
Guys needing to get use to their new roles and playing together.
Pretty sure FO sees adjustments that need to be made.
Mostly three point shooting.
Feel if IQ, Cam, Grimes, RJ don't get it going, they will make a move to bring in some shooting help at the wing position.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
TPercy
Member: #5748

11/22/2022  10:15 AM
This fire Thibs stuff is nonsense. We are at a talent deficient compared to rest of league and would be surprised if we maintained this record. His rotations will be questionable, but we still look somwhat competitive.
The Future is Bright!
Fire Thibs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy