[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Fire Thibs
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/17/2022  9:49 AM
blkexec wrote:I think Thibs 9 man rotation is a HUGE shift. And there's advantages vs a 10 man rotation. When it's 10, I believe (based on the past) Thibs is more rigid. Starting 5 bring in 5.

When it's a 9 man rotation, Thibs appears to mix things up. I call it organized confusion.

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together
Reddish playing with the second unit
Obi and Randle playing together

What I like and don't like about Thibs is his stubbornness. This applies to out losing streaks or in game flexibility.

But when things are going well, his stubbornness becomes an advantage. I can see him basically riding this same rotation and substitution pattern for a while now. Trying to see how many wins we can squeeze out during this west coast trip, before making any significant changes.

It is strange to suddenly see a lot of people start to suggest RJ may be better off bench. I agree.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/17/2022  9:58 AM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:I think Thibs 9 man rotation is a HUGE shift. And there's advantages vs a 10 man rotation. When it's 10, I believe (based on the past) Thibs is more rigid. Starting 5 bring in 5.

When it's a 9 man rotation, Thibs appears to mix things up. I call it organized confusion.

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

What I like and don't like about Thibs is his stubbornness. This applies to out losing streaks or in game flexibility.

But when things are going well, his stubbornness becomes an advantage. I can see him basically riding this same rotation and substitution pattern for a while now. Trying to see how many wins we can squeeze out during this west coast trip, before making any significant changes.

It is strange to suddenly see a lot of people start to suggest RJ may be better off bench. I agree.

Not really, RJ isnt playing well enough to start. Not like he was never good enough. I hope one way or another Barrett decides to work on his finishing skills. The biggest surprise for me is that unlike other parts of his game, I see no evidence that RJ has been working on becoming a better finisher.

martin
USA
11/17/2022  10:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2022  10:20 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

Not really, RJ isnt playing well enough to start. Not like he was never good enough. I hope one way or another Barrett decides to work on his finishing skills. The biggest surprise for me is that unlike other parts of his game, I see no evidence that RJ has been working on becoming a better finisher.

RJ grew up playing basketball, like since he was able to hold a ball. He has had access to coaching, training, NBA level talent as family, every exposure an athlete would need at every point of his life. Literally the best of the best. He is even considered a "hard worker".

He just don't got it.

It confounds me that your base, underlying assumptions is that he hasn't worked on finishing. That's called shooting, just up close. He is a poor shooter.

When does he start to practice not putting his head down and just barging into 3 defenders who are in front of him when on a 1 on 3 break? When does he practice not telegraphing his passes to opponents?

RJ is a phenominal physical specimen but he has no idea how to use it and his basketball IQ/sensibilities are way below average, ESPECIALLY considering his background.

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/17/2022  10:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2022  10:40 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

Fans perspective: What the hell is wrong with RJ? Why is he driving into 3 players? How come he can't make layups? He should come off the bench until he learns how to finish. Why did we give RJ all that money, if he can't make layups.

Coach perspective: RJ stay aggressive and continue to play downhill. I don't care if you miss layups, you open the floor for the team. Your drives to the rim collapses the defense and allows our bigs to clean up. Your drives also leads to open perimeter shots for the team, so keep attaching. Don't worry about missed layups, they will start falling. The important part is your ability to break down the defense and apply pressure on the other team.

From day one I looked at RJ as a 3 down RB in football, which eventually opens up more play action plays. Similar to basketball. The value in RJ is not necessary making his layups, but breaking down and applying pressure on the defense with his dribble drives in the paint. Similar to a post player who can force a team to collapse for wide open kickout jumpers. RJ has been a downhill player his entire life. And maybe this is who he is. Improvements in this area will come along slowly, but his downhill playing style is still needed for the team and it forces others like Obi to run with him in transition.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GustavBahler

11/17/2022  10:53 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

RJ grew up playing basketball, like since he was able to hold a ball. He has had access to coaching, training, NBA level talent as family, every exposure an athlete would need at every point of his life. Literally the best of the best. He is even considered a "hard worker".

He just don't got it.

It confounds me that your base, underlying assumptions is that he hasn't worked on finishing. That's called shooting, just up close. He is a poor shooter.

When does he start to practice not putting his head down and just barging into 3 defenders who are in front of him when on a 1 on 3 break? When does he practice not telegraphing his passes to opponents?

RJ is a phenominal physical specimen but he has no idea how to use it and his basketball IQ/sensibilities are way below average, ESPECIALLY considering his background.

RJ made a name for himself in college because of his "bully ball" style of play. His shooting was suspect. But one thing RJ could do very well was get to the rim. As well as share the rock.

Early in his career RJ played SG. Had success playing "bully ball" against shooting guards. Wasnt as easy as in college, but Barrett showed an ability to bully his way to the rim, get buckets. With room for improvement.

What changed were two things. RJ being scouted by other teams, and Thibs moving RJ to the 3, to play against bigger (still speedy) defenders. Guess what happened? RJ couldnt bully his way to the rim like he did at SG. Not a big surprise for a player who doesnt have elite burst.

Barring a trade, you can do two things.

You can move RJ back to the 2. That seems unlikely with Cam and Quick playing so well. The second thing RJ can do is to use the glass to counter a larger defender. I see no evidence of RJ taking that approach. He has trouble banking it in without hitting the rim on the way down, when no one is guarding him. Seen RJ go nothing but net plenty of times. Shows that RJ put in the work. I dont see RJ trying to go anywhere but the same spot on the glass amd hoping he has a better result. Not using his shooting hand to alter the trajectory. Its clear all those fancy teachers didnt work on that.

They lost your luggage in Canada, thats it Martin!

martin
USA
11/17/2022  11:05 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

He just don't got it.

RJ made a name for himself in college because of his "bully ball" style of play. His shooting was suspect. But one thing RJ could do very well was get to the rim. As well as share the rock.

Early in his career RJ played SG. Had success playing "bully ball" against shooting guards. Wasnt as easy as in college, but Barrett showed an ability to bully his way to the rim, get buckets. With room for improvement.

What changed were two things. RJ being scouted by other teams, and Thibs moving RJ to the 3, to play against bigger (still speedy) defenders. Guess what happened? RJ couldnt bully his way to the rim like he did at SG. Not a big surprise for a player who doesnt have elite burst.

You can move RJ back to the 2. That seems unlikely with Cam and Quick playing so well. The second thing RJ can do is to use the glass to counter a larger defender. I see no evidence of RJ taking that approach. He has trouble banking it in without hitting the rim on the way down, when no one is guarding him. Seen RJ go nothing but net plenty of times. Shows that RJ put in the work. I dont see RJ trying to go anywhere but the same spot on the glass amd hoping he has a better result. Not using his shooting hand to alter the trajectory. Its clear all those fancy teachers didnt work on that.

I feel like this is the crux of it. RJ falls under the category of athlete who physically matured faster and filled out to a pro level man-child as a teen and feasted on skinny high school and college kids who are, relatively speaking, mostly underdeveloped.

It was all bully ball to the detriment of his fuller develop process. It's the same with guys like Cam who are ungodly blessed with physical attributes and they rely on those physical separators exclusively instead of widening his skillset and really working past your only strengths.

After that it's about your own individual determination to get better to play better and RJ don't got that, or it's just a talent limit.

GustavBahler

11/17/2022  11:21 AM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

He just don't got it.

I feel like this is the crux of it. RJ falls under the category of athlete who physically matured faster and filled out to a pro level man-child as a teen and feasted on skinny high school and college kids who are, relatively speaking, mostly underdeveloped.

It was all bully ball to the detriment of his fuller develop process. It's the same with guys like Cam who are ungodly blessed with physical attributes and they rely on those physical separators exclusively instead of widening his skillset and really working past your only strengths.

After that it's about your own individual determination to get better to play better and RJ don't got that, or it's just a talent limit.

I see your Crux and raise you one..

Thats it, RJ is too much "one trick pony" when he drives to the rim. There is no plan b. Hope RJ takes inventory of his game, and makes the necessary adjustments.

Its well known that players who are getting to the rim, getting buckets. Tend to be more confident in their outside shot than players who keep getting stuffed at the rim. RJ becoming a better finisher could positively impact other parts of his game, so I hope he puts in the work in that dept.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/17/2022  11:45 AM
RJ is here to stay unless we package him for an upgrade like Sabonis. That is all
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/17/2022  11:45 AM
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

Not happening. Even if we fired Thibs

blkexec
11/17/2022  12:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2022  12:38 PM
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

I’m hearing fans agree that RJ should play more with the second unit. That’s different from saying, RJ should be benched.

RJ is the starter and he will continue to be the starter. But during thibs rotations, it appears that Thibs has entertained the thought of playing RJ more with the second unit which is think is great. I’m not sure I have faith in RJ and Randle on the court at the same time. But when RJ is playing with second unit and Randle is on the bench (that’s the key), RJ has more room to operate.

That’s the play I’m seeing thibs do more of during the course of the game. Thibs will continue to start him regardless.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
USA
11/17/2022  12:39 PM
blkexec wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

I’m hearing fans agree that RJ should play more with the second unit. That’s different from saying, RJ should be benched.

RJ is the starter and he will continue to be the starter. But during thibs rotations, it appears that Thibs has entertained the thought of playing RJ more with the second unit which is think is great. I’m not sure I have faith in RJ and Randle on the court at the same time. But when RJ is playing with second unit and Randle is on the bench (that’s the key), RJ has more room to operate.

That’s the play I’m seeing thibs do more of during the course of the game. Thibs will continue to start him regardless.

Spot on

GustavBahler

11/17/2022  12:53 PM
Philc1 wrote:RJ is here to stay unless we package him for an upgrade like Sabonis. That is all

If he does stay, one wrinkle in his game I'd like to see is RJ going left, switching hands, and finishing with his right.

Its easier than dribbling all the way to the rim with your off hand. And he'll probably get defenders with that move, because he'a been so predictable. Then maybe he can work more on finishing with his right hand.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/17/2022  12:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2022  12:59 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Philc1 wrote:RJ is here to stay unless we package him for an upgrade like Sabonis. That is all

If he does stay, one wrinkle in his game I'd like to see is RJ going left, switching hands, and finishing with his right.

Its easier than dribbling all the way to the rim with your off hand. And he'll probably get defenders with that move, because he'a been so predictable. Then maybe he can work more on finishing with his right hand.

He does it for a few games than forgets that he has in his package. I'd like to see more midpost RJ when teams go small.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
foosballnick
Member: #3148

11/17/2022  1:29 PM
I think I clicked in the wrong thread. I was looking for the Fire Thibs thread and I must have mistakenly clicked on the Fire RJ thread.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/17/2022  1:54 PM
foosballnick wrote:I think I clicked in the wrong thread. I was looking for the Fire Thibs thread and I must have mistakenly clicked on the Fire RJ thread.

Job security doesn't really exist for anyone on mediocre ball clubs.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
11/17/2022  2:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2022  2:58 PM
IMHO this is not an outlier type situation, RJ misses a ton of these passes. Basic level stuff.

When RJ locks in to a decision early, he doesn't know how to process other stuff. He got blinders on.

GustavBahler

11/17/2022  3:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/17/2022  3:06 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

He does it for a few games than forgets that he has in his package. I'd like to see more midpost RJ when teams go small.

Really? honestly dont remember him doing that. Although I doze off in spots lol.

blkexec
11/17/2022  3:16 PM
foosballnick wrote:I think I clicked in the wrong thread. I was looking for the Fire Thibs thread and I must have mistakenly clicked on the Fire RJ thread.

I always wondered how long it takes for a thread to go off topic.

A Fire Thibs thread during the beginning of a season will never age well when your .500 team. We will win some games we shouldn’t and lose some games we should’ve won.

RJ on the other hand has sign a large contract. With large contracts, you become a target by fans and the media. Part is self imposed. The other part is jealously and envy, but that’s a little too deep for this thread.

But with thibs back against the wall, Randle held a team meeting and decided to actually play basketball the way fans been asking him to do. Players love thibs more than some fans. So that was the key for me. I wanted to see if this team would fight for thibs and they answered that question.

Title should say Fire the old Thibs. This new Thibs can stay

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/17/2022  4:11 PM
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
martin wrote:

RJ with the second unit
JB and IQ together

He just don't got it.

I was watching the game and thinking that Brunson is like the polar opposite of this - physically, he shouldn't be as good as he is.

foosballnick
Member: #3148

11/17/2022  4:23 PM
blkexec wrote:

I always wondered how long it takes for a thread to go off topic.

A Fire Thibs thread during the beginning of a season will never age well when your .500 team. We will win some games we shouldn’t and lose some games we should’ve won.

RJ on the other hand has sign a large contract. With large contracts, you become a target by fans and the media. Part is self imposed. The other part is jealously and envy, but that’s a little too deep for this thread.

But with thibs back against the wall, Randle held a team meeting and decided to actually play basketball the way fans been asking him to do. Players love thibs more than some fans. So that was the key for me. I wanted to see if this team would fight for thibs and they answered that question.

Title should say Fire the old Thibs. This new Thibs can stay

Every poster in every sports forum I've been in has their own agenda topics to bring to the table and derail threads. "Fire Thibs" was so yesterday now that the Knicks have won 2 in a row against teams that they haven't beaten on the road in years (16 years to be exact against the Nuggets).....move on to the next "why the Knicks have not met expectations" bullet point.

Fire Thibs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy