[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

And some still thought we needed a pg 1st
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/18/2004  8:22 AM
If you look around the league , even the Expansion Bobcats have and promising frontline even intimidating at times with blocks than we do. Bigs are hard to come by, pg are not. As I look around the league and see the guys(pg's) who are making their respective teams better and are still young. McCleod in Utah dude was running the team like he has been the starter for yrs since arroyo been out and I think he was a 2nd rd guy or undrafted. Rafer Alston(skip to my lou) another home town pg who wouldn't have cost so much signed with the Raptors and is getting it done as a starter there. Maurice Williams 2nd rd pick who also played for Utah, but now for the bucks has started since Mike James has been out had a 8.8 assist a game(great floor leader). My point is there will always be pg under the radar in the NBA who make it big when given the chance to play elsewhere, But big men in the NBA are hard to find.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
11/18/2004  8:54 AM
Yes, that is obvious.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/18/2004  9:07 AM
then why did we have Charlie Ward and Howard Eisley for 3 years? Or a 37 year old MArk Jackson? Or Chris Childs? Or anyone above utterly average since we had Derek Harper at the end of his career?

I guess our radar was higher than everyone else's
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
playa2

11/18/2004  9:34 AM
Posted by fishmike:

then why did we have Charlie Ward and Howard Eisley for 3 years? Or a 37 year old MArk Jackson? Or Chris Childs? Or anyone above utterly average since we had Derek Harper at the end of his career?

That was Vandummy's standard as coach for the knicks for a pg. Jeff always wanted someone he could control and who didn't have that (takeover)Athletic game at the pg position and we never got a way from that mentality. Isn't this why he has Charlie Ward starting for him at the pg in the western conf LOL. Back up is Tyronne Lue some one else he can control. We unfortunately never gotten over jeff handprint after we let go of Grunfeld as GM.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  9:56 AM
really? than what was Pat Riley's excuse?

Also, last I checked Ward is his PG because Steve Francis went in a trade for Tracy McGrady, not because VG told management to go get me Charlie Ward.
playa2

11/18/2004  10:15 AM
Posted by fishmike:

really? than what was Pat Riley's excuse?

Also, last I checked Ward is his PG because Steve Francis went in a trade for Tracy McGrady, not because VG told management to go get me Charlie Ward.

Fishy you know Francis and Gundy wouldn't last that long in Houston. Gundy couldn't control him at the pg position.

Riley didn't have the throughbreds he had in LA so he had to play ruff house with Mase and Xman etc.. no with a dynamic pg.

No jeff didn't say go get me ward, he actually told them let me pick the pg starter which is gonna be Bob Sura when he gets off the IR.

Sura put up career #'s in Atlanta last yr and Gundy will have the ability to control him too.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/18/2004  10:18 AM
Posted by playa2:
Posted by fishmike:

That was Vandummy's standard as coach for the knicks for a pg. Jeff always wanted someone he could control and who didn't have that (takeover)Athletic game at the pg position and we never got a way from that mentality. Isn't this why he has Charlie Ward starting for him at the pg in the western conf LOL. Back up is Tyronne Lue some one else he can control. We unfortunately never gotten over jeff handprint after we let go of Grunfeld as GM.

are you trying to convince us that JVG want an unathletic PG? No. He want s PG that understands the half court game. He wants a PG who knows how to feed the post. He wants a PG that can spread the D. He wants a PG that plays D.

Houston has Yao. They NEED to be a half court team for him to be successful.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
playa2

11/18/2004  10:39 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by playa2:
Posted by fishmike:

are you trying to convince us that JVG want an unathletic PG? No. He want s PG that understands the half court game. He wants a PG who knows how to feed the post. He wants a PG that can spread the D. He wants a PG that plays D.

Houston has Yao. They NEED to be a half court team for him to be successful.
No martin , what I am saying is jeff doesn't want a athletic creator at the pg position because of his defensive strategy. Running would wear his own team out so that running the ball up court could be detrimental to what he only knows= DEFENSE.

Understanding the half court game is needed especially in playoffs, but that is only half of the pro game and that is where jeff shows his limitations. Even Kenny Smith on TNT said Houston has to run some too with McGrady.

Feeding the post as a pg is much easier than running a fast break offense, all you have to do is dump the ball and run to a corner and wait for a kick out pass ala Charlie Ward.
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  11:19 AM
you never answered my point.. if PGs are easy to get under the radar why didnt Riley get one in his many years coaching the Knicks?

Its a wash.. Mo Williams, Mike James and Alston are 3 average players having good seasons on teams the fit well on. Much like Ward and Childs were. Just as many bigmen fly under the radar. Brad Miller and Ben Wallace werent even drafted. Brad Miller went for Pollard and cash. Boozer was a 2nd rounder. Okur was a 2nd rounder. Jermaine Oneil sat for 4 year and did NOTHING until Donnie wanted to take a chance a him in an amazing trade for Dale Davis. Dalembert, Hunter... a lot of these guys were late #1s. The problem is the Knicks never have had the patience to even have young players on the roster, much less develop them.
playa2

11/18/2004  1:28 PM
[quote]
Posted by fishmike:

you never answered my point.. if PGs are easy to get under the radar why didnt Riley get one in his many years coaching the Knicks?

Patrick Ewing wanted to be the focal point of the offense and that's one of the reasons why we didn't go after young guards with creactivity, Running with Pat's bad knees wasn't going to happen back then. Wards temperment was a perfect fit for Pat's ego. Harper was on the down side of his career he fit perfectly under riley scheme(defensive pg)
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  1:51 PM
running with Pat's nad knees? Not wanted a creative PG? Are you high? first of all a running game would have been PERFECT with Ewing who was one of the leagues best defensive rebounders and shot blockers. Grab a board, throw and outlet pass... Ewing wouldnt even have to run the court. Can you image how much better Ewing would have been if he played with a PG that could actually break down a D?

On second thought you win... we didnt upgrade PG all those year because Ernie, Riles and JVG didnt want to. It had nothing to do with that fact that there just werent better players available.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/18/2004  2:36 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Not wanted a creative PG? Are you high?

yeah, agreed. Playa, JVG would LOVE an athletic PG. Every coach would. But his first priority on offense is to feed Yao.

JVG never complained about S Fransis because of his lack of effort on the defensive end of things really, but rather the emphasis in trading him was his ball-hogging, not-use-a-dominant-center ways.

WOW.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
jazz74
Member: #371
11/18/2004  3:14 PM
this is ridiculous. so a player with marbury caliber skills are a plenty in the nba. come on. playa, you are right about needing a big but i think you are refering with the statement i said last year. i still think that the 1 position is the top two positions on the floor and stand by it. true, the games have changed and the day of the distributing point guards like stockton and johnson are diminishing, but ask the suns if a point guard is eseential. nash is a perfect example displaying why good point guards are essential. how were the phoenix suns when eisley and barbosa ran the point? now everybody is pointing to marbury and saying it is his fault and point guards are overrated. look, he is still trying to distribute the ball to people but they are not scoring. so he tries to do too much because he has to. i think marbury is the least of out problems and i am glad we have him.
playa2

11/18/2004  7:50 PM
Posted by jazz74:

this is ridiculous. so a player with marbury caliber skills are a plenty in the nba. come on. playa, you are right about needing a big but i think you are refering with the statement i said last year. i still think that the 1 position is the top two positions on the floor and stand by it. true, the games have changed and the day of the distributing point guards like stockton and johnson are diminishing, but ask the suns if a point guard is eseential. nash is a perfect example displaying why good point guards are essential. how were the phoenix suns when eisley and barbosa ran the point? now everybody is pointing to marbury and saying it is his fault and point guards are overrated. look, he is still trying to distribute the ball to people but they are not scoring. so he tries to do too much because he has to. i think marbury is the least of out problems and i am glad we have him.

Jazz you are all over the place. Guys like marbury don't come a dime a dozen anybody knows that, but ask Phoenix who they would rather have Nash or Marbury? The guy in Utah McCleod could probaly play in phoenix too same mold , how about Maurice Williams for the bucks 8.8 assist a game floor leader. Marbury isn't a problem while on our team , but who knows if a big was here instead of him. That's the only way we would know.
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  8:48 PM
dont you mean would they rather have Nash AND QRichardson, or Marbury? Because thats why they moved him and Penny, not to sign Nash, to sign 2 big FAs.
playa2

11/18/2004  8:54 PM
ok mike you are right. And to think most of us thought we fleeced Phoenix.
fishmike
USA
11/18/2004  9:01 PM
is that what you think? I dont know anyone on this site that said that. I thought most people (except a couple that hate Isiah) thought we paid a steep price, but in the end were happy to have Marbury. At least that how I feel.

I thought it was a trade both teams needed to make, and I wouldnt take it back. We needed an upgrade at EVERY position.
And some still thought we needed a pg 1st

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy