[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Start Quickley at SG
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/9/2022  9:54 PM
We have enough scoring on the bench, not enough in the starting lineup. Cam has and will give you games (like tonite vs Nets) where he fades into the background. Quickley is always on the attack.

He's also a good enough defender now to guard starting 2s. Grimes isnt ready to be a starter. We need someone to help take the pressure off of Brunson. Quickley will do a better job than Cam.

AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/9/2022  10:06 PM
The problem is the shooting. Quickley isn’t shooting well at all and Knicks need shooting. We need reddish to become more consistent. If he can great. If he can’t, need to look elsewhere. I still think it’s grimes spot but the injury killed his momentum so it will take him longer to take over.
Kemet
Member: #6148

11/10/2022  12:11 AM
Brunson & Quickley haven't click together this season, Brunson one on one moves on consecutive offensive-possession, then Randle one on one consecutive bully moves, or pass to an open or slashing Barrett to the basket .... Quickley's a ball-movement scorer or team scorer the same as Obi Toppin.
SergioNYK
Member: #333
USA
11/10/2022  8:56 AM
I'm a few more games away from demoting IQ from the rotation and giving Deuce those minutes tbh. IQ needs to make shots!
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

11/10/2022  9:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2022  12:19 PM
GustavBahler wrote:We have enough scoring on the bench, not enough in the starting lineup. Cam has and will give you games (like tonite vs Nets) where he fades into the background. Quickley is always on the attack.

He's also a good enough defender now to guard starting 2s. Grimes isnt ready to be a starter. We need someone to help take the pressure off of Brunson. Quickley will do a better job than Cam.

Big fan of IQ. Probably my favorite player. But no way you put him in the starting lineup the way he is shooting.
He needs to build up his confidence. Best place for that is in the second unit and not with additional pressure from being a starter.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler

11/10/2022  1:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/10/2022  1:59 PM
To address the biggest criticism of this proposed move. You're right, that moving IQ to the starting lineup during a slump seems counterintuitive. If it was just about shooting, which is important. Its also ball movement, passing, being aggressive.

Cam too often becomes a wallflower in the offense. You want your SG to be always trying to keep the defense on its heels. Thats why I believe Quick is better suited to be a 2.

Another reason is the chemistry with Fournier in the 2nd unit. Isnt much of it. Cam and Fournier might make a better tandem, with Cam at the 3.

Thibs made the mistake of rushing Grimes back too soon. I hope next time Thibs brings him off the bench slowly. If his plan is to start Grimes at the 2. In the meantime, I've been surprised that Thibs has invested so much time trying to turn Quick into a PG, when he isnt that far from being a very good SG.

Quickley gets to the line more I believe, which you want to make the other team sit their starters.

Quickley can bring more than just scoring. When his shot starts falling again. Want to see a more aggressive SG. Scoring and ball movement.

HofstraBBall

11/10/2022  3:58 PM
GustavBahler wrote:To address the biggest criticism of this proposed move. You're right, that moving IQ to the starting lineup during a slump seems counterintuitive. If it was just about shooting, which is important. Its also ball movement, passing, being aggressive.

Cam too often becomes a wallflower in the offense. You want your SG to be always trying to keep the defense on its heels. Thats why I believe Quick is better suited to be a 2.

Another reason is the chemistry with Fournier in the 2nd unit. Isnt much of it. Cam and Fournier might make a better tandem, with Cam at the 3.

Thibs made the mistake of rushing Grimes back too soon. I hope next time Thibs brings him off the bench slowly. If his plan is to start Grimes at the 2. In the meantime, I've been surprised that Thibs has invested so much time trying to turn Quick into a PG, when he isnt that far from being a very good SG.

Quickley gets to the line more I believe, which you want to make the other team sit their starters.

Quickley can bring more than just scoring. When his shot starts falling again. Want to see a more aggressive SG. Scoring and ball movement.

Would agree that IQ taking EF's spot would have been my preference. But I may be biased.
But as you said, it may have been more than offense. Can't argue that Cam had an impact on the defensive end and had shown success in previous games. If we are going to be fair than we cannot say IQ had earned that right with his recent play.
Cam did not have a good game last night. But neither did IQ. Hopefully we get IQ, Cam and Grimes all playing well soon.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler

11/12/2022  10:01 AM
Bump
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/12/2022  11:32 AM
Lets change the lineup after each game based on the previous play of "said player".

We forget Grimes already? Preseason anointed as the next "star" by some?
Its obvious Thibs wants more length on defense. RJ is the 2 for now. Cam guards the 3, right? is that what's happening?
IQ defense is improved. As we have seen the kid makes a jump, then it take time for it to be instinct and his offense game comes back.
Reality is not who starts, but who finishes.
And, remember players that come in mid 3rd period cannot finish the game with the same fervor so when they get taken out for fresh player its not Thibs being stubborn, its pattern.
But he does reward players who kick ass when starters are not!

On offense IQ still has many looks like he does not know what to do, burns clock, then passes and that player has to iso.
Ball movement is stagnating from early season, the defense is stopping it.

.500 teams are maddening. you can't resign to the suck, nor can one get too optimistic.

HofstraBBall

11/12/2022  12:37 PM
https://nypost.com/2022/11/12/knicks-getting-calls-about-potential-immanuel-quickley-trade/

IQ will be a high level player if used correctly and given a chance.

GustavBahler

11/12/2022  1:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:https://nypost.com/2022/11/12/knicks-getting-calls-about-potential-immanuel-quickley-trade/

If the FO is considering a trade involving Quickley. Would be a real bad look if he was moved, and turned out to be a very good SG.

From day one Thibs hasnt let Quick do much of anything but PG. Fail to see the logic of not giving Quick a look at the 2. Not at this point in his career.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/12/2022  3:05 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:https://nypost.com/2022/11/12/knicks-getting-calls-about-potential-immanuel-quickley-trade/

If the FO is considering a trade involving Quickley. Would be a real bad look if he was moved, and turned out to be a very good SG.

From day one Thibs hasnt let Quick do much of anything but PG. Fail to see the logic of not giving Quick a look at the 2. Not at this point in his career.

Trade implies an incoming asset, not just the deletion of a current favorite son. The fact is out team by keeping a horde of picks is actually deep value. Some teams on the end of the spectrum are “leveraged”, thus owe picks. We could be. Better. I suppose its like asking children if they want one piece of candy now, or two later.
For knick fans or any sport fan there is no guarantee the candy will be there so take what you can get now?
To each their own.

Any player that traded looks bad if they improve but if the knicks are winning who cares?

Losing sucks. Makes one envious and looking for happyness in othsers failure. I hope if IQ is traded and in return an asset comes in or is drafted that elevates us to winning even more and more.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/12/2022  3:51 PM

What does Used correctly and Given a chance mean to you and why do you think those 2 things haven’t been prevalent for IQ?

I don’t get it cause I see it going on all the time.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler

12/4/2022  8:28 PM
GustavBahler wrote:We have enough scoring on the bench, not enough in the starting lineup. Cam has and will give you games (like tonite vs Nets) where he fades into the background. Quickley is always on the attack.

Bump

blkexec
Member: #748
12/4/2022  8:45 PM
IQ should’ve been the starter when Kemba was removed. If thibs did this early, instead of Burks. I’m not sure JB would be a knick right now. There was nothing wrong with IQ, Rose and Deuce rotation. But we added JB which created a glut, and why Rose was a healthy scratch.

Now we back doing what we should’ve done already. Give more mins to deuce and IQ. Less mins for EF and Rose. We are just late on these decisions.

I’m curious what the next move is for this FO. They can go in so many different directions. I still think the first move is to clear the vets that’s blocking the youths PT. That’s Rose and Randle.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Ira
Member: #91
12/4/2022  8:48 PM
I'm not sure if I'd rather have Grimes or IQ start at the 2. I'd split minutes and starts between them and see who works out best.
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

12/4/2022  9:11 PM
Like him better as a 6th man
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/4/2022  9:59 PM
IQ is being developed as a PG and Grimes as a SG who can be a PoA defender.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
12/4/2022  10:07 PM
I love his use of the backboard today. Keep it up, Quick!
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/5/2022  9:34 AM
IQ is looking better and better all the time. He's a perfect 6th man who can also close
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Start Quickley at SG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy