Author Thread
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
11/17/2004  8:31 PM
WARNING: severe Isiah hating ahead!

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3162384

But Thomas' favorite, and most despicable, nasty trick came into play when he found himself playing defense in the paint. As an opposing guard planted a foot and began to rise toward the basket, Thomas would stretch a hand to the ball to distract the referees —then he'd simply step on the guard's floor-bound foot. Just for a moment. Just to disrupt the opponent's balance and rhythm. The guard would appear to stumble and, more often than not, the resulting shot would go astray.

A clever, fool-proof maneuver that also endangered the careers of numerous opponents.

It was stunts like this that moved Michael Jordan to issue an ultimatum as the make-up of the 1992 Dream Team was being discussed. MJ would stay home if Thomas was invited to participate.

The cynical New York media is just beginning to discover that Thomas's feet are really water soluble. But he seems totally immune to criticism. That's because ex-players and coaches who knew him well swear that Thomas only cares about media attention and money. As long as he commands the spotlight, and continues to cash fat salary checks every two weeks, Thomas couldn't care less about what's left of his reputation.
http://allknicks.com
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/17/2004  8:34 PM
All he had to do was go to Adrian Dantley's mother. Who refers to IT and that little con artist.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/17/2004  9:29 PM
It's called undercutting a player. It's dirty and I wish no one did it, but I don't know why someone would single out Isiah for it. Many players do it. Vince Carter was on crutches (briefly) last year after Bruce Bowen pulled that garbage.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/17/2004  9:38 PM
wow, just read the article. Nothing new here. Time to move along.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NineMike2Whiskey
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #732
11/17/2004  10:07 PM
Nah IT just gave as good as he got. As told from the following site.....

http://www.makingpages.org/hoops/Malone.danger.html

In December 1991, Isiah Thomas, one of the league's most loved superstars, was driving to the basket and Karl Malone "went for the ball" but somehow managed to hit Isiah's face so hard with an "unintentional" elbow that Thomas had to be carries from the court and required plastic surgery and forty ststches.

Malone was assessed a flagrant foul and given a $10,000 fine and a one-game suspension. Malone, of course, claimed it was an accident and did not mean to hurt Thomas. After the incident, he talked to Isiah and denied the elbow was deliberate and offered no apology.

As Michael Lowe, D.P.M., team podiatrist for the Utah Jazz, remembered it in remarks at the 1996 AAPSM annual meeting:

Isiah Thomas was driving the lane hard to the basket when Karl swatted at the ball but missed and caught Isiah across the eye brow with his elbow. Again the smaller mass paid the price from the 265 lb. Malone. Thomas went down hard to the court. His initial reaction was that he had been shot in the head by some one in the stands. I looked down to see if the Orthopedic Surgeon was going on to the court, he wasn't in his seat, he had gone outside of the court area to answer a page. Isiah was hemorrhaging from the laceration quite badly and was badly dazed from the impact with Karl's elbow. I went down to see if I could help the trainer, since there was general mayhem on the court. I suggested that we put a collar on him and get a back board to carry him off the court. It was at this point that Bill Lambier grabbed me from behind and practically lifted me off the ground by the neck, telling me that Isiah wasn't going to leave the court that way. This was done by shouting about 2 inches away directly into my face. Before I could react from his shove to my chest to get me out of the way, he picked Isiah Thomas up like you would pick up your three year old son, and carried him very carefully into the locker room for further evaluation. It was at about this time the Orthopod showed up. I gladly turned the situation, and Bill Lambier, over to him. Isiah had a lacerated artery across the brow and was bleeding quite profusely. Lambier refused to leave his side. Since Isiah had a poster boy like face, the Orthopedic surgeon elected to have him transported to the hospital for a Plastic Surgeon to do the primary repair. Lambier went with him to the hospital too. That's what I call team support.

Of course, Malone supports his team, too -- only he does it by hurting opponents, not helping his teammates.

I personally liked the bit about IT being the leagues most "loved" superstar
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
11/17/2004  10:11 PM
That malone page is very famous, and the stuff on it is true...
http://allknicks.com
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/17/2004  10:29 PM
Hatchet job.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/17/2004  10:37 PM
Posted by NineMike2Whiskey:

In December 1991, Isiah Thomas, one of the league's most loved superstars, was driving to the basket and Karl Malone "went for the ball" but somehow managed to hit Isiah's face so hard with an "unintentional" elbow that Thomas had to be carries from the court and required plastic surgery and forty ststches.

Malone was assessed a flagrant foul and given a $10,000 fine and a one-game suspension. Malone, of course, claimed it was an accident and did not mean to hurt Thomas. After the incident, he talked to Isiah and denied the elbow was deliberate and offered no apology.

As Michael Lowe, D.P.M., team podiatrist for the Utah Jazz, remembered it in remarks at the 1996 AAPSM annual meeting:

Isiah Thomas was driving the lane hard to the basket when Karl swatted at the ball but missed and caught Isiah across the eye brow with his elbow. Again the smaller mass paid the price from the 265 lb. Malone. Thomas went down hard to the court. His initial reaction was that he had been shot in the head by some one in the stands. I looked down to see if the Orthopedic Surgeon was going on to the court, he wasn't in his seat, he had gone outside of the court area to answer a page. Isiah was hemorrhaging from the laceration quite badly and was badly dazed from the impact with Karl's elbow. I went down to see if I could help the trainer, since there was general mayhem on the court. I suggested that we put a collar on him and get a back board to carry him off the court. It was at this point that Bill Lambier grabbed me from behind and practically lifted me off the ground by the neck, telling me that Isiah wasn't going to leave the court that way. This was done by shouting about 2 inches away directly into my face. Before I could react from his shove to my chest to get me out of the way, he picked Isiah Thomas up like you would pick up your three year old son, and carried him very carefully into the locker room for further evaluation. It was at about this time the Orthopod showed up. I gladly turned the situation, and Bill Lambier, over to him. Isiah had a lacerated artery across the brow and was bleeding quite profusely. Lambier refused to leave his side. Since Isiah had a poster boy like face, the Orthopedic surgeon elected to have him transported to the hospital for a Plastic Surgeon to do the primary repair. Lambier went with him to the hospital too. That's what I call team support.

Of course, Malone supports his team, too -- only he does it by hurting opponents, not helping his teammates.

That is one thing that has gone bye- bye from ball. The incredible mental and physical toughness that these guys had. Now these guys have a frikin hangnail and they are on the IR for 5 games btchn about next years salary.
RIP Crushalot😞
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/17/2004  10:41 PM
Anybody remember when the Chief punched out Laimbeer and the refs "missed" it?
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
11/17/2004  10:47 PM
...and malone went on to mame even more players for an additional 13 seasons. if anyone is dirty, that guy is. dirty w/a capital D! this isn't in my nature, but when he went down with the lakers w/that knee injury, i felt no remorse at all. i was actually happy.(was i wrong for that?)

speaking of laimbeer, it would'nt surprise me at all if that was zeke's next choice. i know it was the Wnba, but he did bring a nonplayoff team to a championship team in 1 year. also, you can't argue his leadership skills. i hated him as a piston, but even I have to admit he knows the game.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/17/2004  10:49 PM
Posted by NineMike2Whiskey:

I remember that incident,I also remember that most fans saw it for what it was,retaliation for Isiah being a dirty player.I have to admit at the time that I felt that it was just desserts.

Like Martin said,nothing new here.Most of us who watched Isiah play knows the guy was a cheap shot artist as well as one of the greatest to play the game.Alot of that stuff that was written about him has a ring of truth and I still could care less if he can bring a championship to NY or at least point the Knicks in the right direction.He hasnt gotten us there yet but so far Im happy he his is the GM.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
11/17/2004  10:50 PM
Posted by Marv:

Anybody remember when the Chief punched out Laimbeer and the refs "missed" it?
gave em' the old 1-2 combo. laimbeer was an arguer not a fighter.
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
11/17/2004  10:50 PM
And Stockton wasnt any angel either, i remember him clocking that CBA all-star Matt Maloney for having the gall to full court pressing him in the WCF
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/17/2004  10:54 PM
Back to the topic, that was a great article about Isiah. Nothing really new but it's worth repeating.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/17/2004  11:41 PM
Isiah was dirty, Rodman was dirty, Laimbeer was a thug, Mahorn was a brute. Stockton was equally as dirty as all of them but for some reason gets a pass. All I have to say is who cares.
I just hope that people will like me
simrud
Member: #474
USA
11/18/2004  7:17 AM
Somtimes emotions get to high in competitive games. People do things they would never do with a clear head. A ref misses a call, you keep seeing some guy faul the hell out of your teammates, next thing you know you have a chane to set things right with an elbow to the face. Its very understandable, however wrong it is. Guys get ahead of themsevles in pressure/competitive situations. To label them "dirty" players is pretty silly.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/18/2004  7:59 AM
You shouldn't go so far to destroy the way a man makes a lively hood in the name of competive basketball. Guys could get seriously injured and never get a new pay check every again. Play ball hard, but no hitting guys while they are in the air trying to make a play or low bridging a guy and his head hits the floor first.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/18/2004  8:38 AM
Posted by Bippity10:

Isiah was dirty, Rodman was dirty, Laimbeer was a thug, Mahorn was a brute. Stockton was equally as dirty as all of them but for some reason gets a pass. All I have to say is who cares.

all i know is that was 1 helluva team.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/18/2004  9:14 AM
When you play pro hockey or football, you put your life at risk. Pro sports is about doing what is nesessary to win.

Contrast this to miss gay-z's game of late. Soft.

Isiah was a son-of-a-bitch. He was a fighter, sometimes dirty, sometime not. He would not have been the player if not for the intensity, and he paid a price by being off the dream team. But if he was not the player he was, he would not have been considered for the dream team.

I don't like everything Isiah does, and Van Gundy's comments have merit to them. Isiah does some things I do like, and thats how it is. Take the good with the bad. He maybe a sneakly litte Shlt, but he is our sneak little shlt!

I don't drink the coolaide and not know its bad for you.
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/18/2004  10:05 AM
Posted by Nalod:

When you play pro hockey or football, you put your life at risk. Pro sports is about doing what is nesessary to win.

Contrast this to miss gay-z's game of late. Soft.

Isiah was a son-of-a-bitch. He was a fighter, sometimes dirty, sometime not. He would not have been the player if not for the intensity, and he paid a price by being off the dream team. But if he was not the player he was, he would not have been considered for the dream team.

I don't like everything Isiah does, and Van Gundy's comments have merit to them. Isiah does some things I do like, and thats how it is. Take the good with the bad. He maybe a sneakly litte Shlt, but he is our sneak little shlt!

I don't drink the coolaide and not know its bad for you.
Still standing on the fence huh Nalod?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Charley Rosen: Flouting Thomas: Zeke's always been a sneak

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy