[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Those who wanted to salary dump Randle…
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
1/8/2023  8:15 PM
Panos wrote:0k, now that we've moved past the ridiculous proposition of dumping Randle's contract or trading him for a second rounder. Here's a comp:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

What’s your source, that says D.Sabonis is his comp?

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
1/8/2023  9:10 PM
blkexec wrote:
Panos wrote:0k, now that we've moved past the ridiculous proposition of dumping Randle's contract or trading him for a second rounder. Here's a comp:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?
Whats your source, that says D.Sabonis is his comp?

What do you mean, my source?
It's a hypothetical.
Two dominant well rounded PFs.
Who you got and why?

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
1/9/2023  12:11 AM
blkexec wrote:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

I haven't moved past it yet btw... I would take Sabonis as he can give you some minutes at the C spot. Do you think the King's would give up Sabonis for Randle? I doubt it and that is somewhat telling IMO.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/9/2023  7:04 AM
jskinny35 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

I haven't moved past it yet btw... I would take Sabonis as he can give you some minutes at the C spot. Do you think the King's would give up Sabonis for Randle? I doubt it and that is somewhat telling IMO.

If you compare them statistically this season, you can make a strong case that Sabonis is having a better season. I think Sabonis fits them better due to his passing and his fit next to other players on the roster. I don't think the Kings do that trade.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
blkexec
Member: #748
1/9/2023  7:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/9/2023  7:39 AM
Panos wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?
Whats your source, that says D.Sabonis is his comp?

What do you mean, my source?
It's a hypothetical.
Two dominant well rounded PFs.
Who you got and why?

I asked because I disagree that sabonis is his comp. And I’m talking about the current all star play of Randle. And this is just the eye test. If sabonis stats are comparable that’s fine. I’m looking at their individual impact on the team winning. And I know Randle can carry a team. I’m not sure if sabonis can or if we need that anymore, since the players around Randle are better than what Randle had in the past during his Knicks career.

But sabonis is an example of a player who’s not on Randles level offensively. But sabonis could be a good fit for this team, especially since he’s a better center than Randle and he moves the ball more, so that would give thibs some rotation flexibility.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/9/2023  8:12 AM
Yes, this is a hypothetical convo.
Sabonis is a back to basket post player who lives closer to the rim. he is a machine who is hard to stop or will collect fouls and get to the line.
Randle used to be more of a basher but lets be real. As a knick he has transformed and is slimmer/quicker getting to the rim, and his shot has changed.

Remember last year it was about getting him back to having easier looks? He is getting some. At 6-9 he is a handful. Come up on him he can blow by now.
I think last year the shots were not as easy which added to his frustrations (what ever they were….)

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/9/2023  9:12 AM
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

Both teams

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Panos
1/9/2023  10:11 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/9/2023  10:12 AM
martin wrote:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

Both teams

Can we agree that its not a hang-up-the-phone type scenario? They are comparable impact players?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/9/2023  10:23 AM
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

Both teams

Can we agree that its not a hang-up-the-phone type scenario? They are comparable impact players?

They are comparable, but the fit is off. Sabonis is arguably better at center to boot. Both teams have similar records and I don't think they're looking to make lateral moves. Who else would you throw in the deal? I like Huerter, but does he make sense when Grimes is already on the roster? I like Barnes, but he seems to be contributing to their success and he is in the last year of his deal. I wouldn't mind Trey Lyles in a smaller deal, but I don't see any other players that would make sense for either party.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
1/9/2023  10:28 AM
Panos wrote:
martin wrote:
Randle for D. Sabonis
Who says no and why?

Both teams

Neither team would even pick up the phone in the first place. Neither is a good fit on the other team.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/9/2023  11:47 AM
Pano's, you playing Sabonis an Mitch at the same time?
If knicks feel that the ceiling is limited with our two, then you package Mitch/JUles in a big deal for Sabonis and yoot or pick(s).
This changes the complexation of both teams now and going forward.
Is the goal to have a stretch 5 then and let Saboinis do the dirty work? What about rim protection? Not all teams care, but Thibs likely does.

WE just hypothesizing so no right or wrongs. My point is Knicks swapping Saboinis/Randle is unlikely without other moves.

jskinny35
USA
1/9/2023  1:18 PM
Not saying Sabonis is def the better fit because you never really know until the play enfolds... that said I don't see why you couldn't swap him out with Randle. Yes he's taller and is no better on defense vs Randle. He passes more, shoots a higher % , rebounds a bit better, and can offer spot minutes at the 5. Yes Randle scores more but most everything is centered around him (aside from Brunson). Mitch next to Sabonis isn't much different vs Randle as Sabonis is longer if anything. Both need Mitch's help/coverage defensively IMO.

The reason I think this would be worth exploring is we win when Randle shoots well (and a lot) but because of his ball dominant style we often seem to struggle when he has those off nights. Sabonis takes higher % shots (closer to basket) and would offer some inside play. Randle does this sometimes but is still streaky and loves to shoot outside more. To his credit he has reduced his bad shot taking from last season. Maybe Sabonis's point forward style would help open up things more for RJ, more kickouts for Grimes as playing more on the block would likely command more spacing? I feel like our offense is still pretty stagnant and iso-driven between Randle and Brunson (and RJ when he was playing). Yes it's better as we have more offensive options but the ball still sticks at times when it seems to move. Sabonis seems more pass-focused but can score when needed to. And (until now :) I haven't mentioned there could be minutes for Toppin to offer some minutes. So the offense would have to shift which I think is more of what I perceive as the problem when we play better quality teams.

I don't think Sacramento would move him because they are playing better this season btw... but the comp is fair IMO.

(I would prefer Lauri M from Utah if there were a desire to find a better fit PF anyway)

jskinny35
USA
1/9/2023  1:31 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/9/2023  1:32 PM
Here is the stat comparison btw..

Sabonis Randle

Games 37 40
Min 34.1 35.2
Pts 18.9 24.4
FG% 62.1 46.2
3pt% 40.0 35.0
Rebds 12.4 10.0
Ass 6.7 3.8
Stl 0.8 0.8
Blk 0.5 0.3

Panos
1/9/2023  2:17 PM
Nalod wrote:Pano's, you playing Sabonis an Mitch at the same time?
If knicks feel that the ceiling is limited with our two, then you package Mitch/JUles in a big deal for Sabonis and yoot or pick(s).
This changes the complexation of both teams now and going forward.
Is the goal to have a stretch 5 then and let Saboinis do the dirty work? What about rim protection? Not all teams care, but Thibs likely does.

WE just hypothesizing so no right or wrongs. My point is Knicks swapping Saboinis/Randle is unlikely without other moves.

I would try it, yes. I agree with a lot of jskinny's post, and I think it could work. Sabonis' efficiency is higher than Randle's both inside and out, and I think if he can D up the PF, he and Mitch would be FORMIDABLE.

martin
USA
1/9/2023  2:58 PM
Shot profiles tell you a lot:

2P 	0-3 	3-10 	10-16 	16-3P 	3P
Randle .560 .242 .152 .107 .060 .440
Sabonis .892 .475 .305 .053 .060 .108
jskinny35
USA
1/9/2023  4:55 PM
martin wrote:Shot profiles tell you a lot:

It tells me that Sabonis finishes at the rim better (0-3), shoots more mid-range shots and less 3pt shots - except it says his 3pt % is 40% so not sure why it says 10.8%. Randle shoots better from 10-23 feet clearly. Randle is a high volume shooter (Sabonis is not) and when he's on it's great... but when he's off we're in trouble since he shoots a lot. I believe we need our offense to run less reliant on any one player - especially if that one player is streaky. That's why I made the point about thinking the offense needs to adjust.

Our team's streakiness this season has mostly been about defensive effort but I would think Randle's up and down shooting at a high clip probably doesn't help when things are not going well. You could say the same about RJ btw...

So if Randle is here for the long haul we still need to adjust the offensive scheme and shift more responsibility to other players IMO. Brunson has done great and RJ began to show signs before the injury... but not sure we don't need to change one of RJ or Randle to really improve in any way. I also don't think adding a Lavine-level player will help much as Thibs seems unlikely to play a new defensively challenged player with this existing roster. He gives Randle a pass, and RJ too. Mitch, Grimes and Brunson have to play so it's eventually going to circle back to needing more from either/both Randle and RJ.

martin
USA
1/9/2023  5:26 PM
jskinny35 wrote:

It tells me that Sabonis finishes at the rim better (0-3), shoots more mid-range shots and less 3pt shots - except it says his 3pt % is 40% so not sure why it says 10.8%. Randle shoots better from 10-23 feet clearly. Randle is a high volume shooter (Sabonis is not) and when he's on it's great... but when he's off we're in trouble since he shoots a lot. I believe we need our offense to run less reliant on any one player - especially if that one player is streaky. That's why I made the point about thinking the offense needs to adjust.

Our team's streakiness this season has mostly been about defensive effort but I would think Randle's up and down shooting at a high clip probably doesn't help when things are not going well. You could say the same about RJ btw...

So if Randle is here for the long haul we still need to adjust the offensive scheme and shift more responsibility to other players IMO. Brunson has done great and RJ began to show signs before the injury... but not sure we don't need to change one of RJ or Randle to really improve in any way. I also don't think adding a Lavine-level player will help much as Thibs seems unlikely to play a new defensively challenged player with this existing roster. He gives Randle a pass, and RJ too. Mitch, Grimes and Brunson have to play so it's eventually going to circle back to needing more from either/both Randle and RJ.

This is what % of shots each players takes for a particular range, not the shooting % from a particular range. I think you are mistaken in what you are seeing?

ie., Randle takes 40% of his shots from 3pt distance, while Sabonis really is not a distance shooter at all, all his shot are mostly from 10 feet and in.

jskinny35
USA
1/9/2023  5:38 PM
martin wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:

This is what % of shots each players takes for a particular range, not the shooting % from a particular range. I think you are mistaken in what you are seeing?

ie., Randle takes 40% of his shots from 3pt distance, while Sabonis really is not a distance shooter at all, all his shot are mostly from 10 feet and in.

Ahh - okay that makes a lot of sense - my mistake. Looks like Sabonis just pops out occasionally (10%) for a 3 but he does shoot it relatively well. Randle is shooting 44% of his total shots from behind 3. Maybe somewhere in between is the ideal amount (eg 30%)...especially if the player is not shooting above league average from 3.

EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
1/9/2023  5:55 PM
jskinny35 wrote:

I think the shot chart comment is intended to point out that you are replacing an outside shooter with and inside shooter. But we already have a bit of inside shooters in the starting lineup.

Brunson (48% of shots 0-10 ft)
Barrett (60% of shots 0-10 ft)
Sabonis (78% of shots 0-10 ft)
Robinson (99% of shots 0-10 ft)

All of these guys would be vying for the same small patch of the floor.

Randle works a bit better for us, only taking 39% of shots in the 0-10 ft category. Now, I'd still like him to increase that. 56 from 0-3 and 44 from 3 works for me in an ideal world. But in the Sabonis discussion, you can visualize Sabonis collapsing the floor even further with his inside play. I don't think he works next to Robinson.

This is the Randle.
jskinny35
USA
1/10/2023  3:21 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:

I think the shot chart comment is intended to point out that you are replacing an outside shooter with and inside shooter. But we already have a bit of inside shooters in the starting lineup.

Brunson (48% of shots 0-10 ft)
Barrett (60% of shots 0-10 ft)
Sabonis (78% of shots 0-10 ft)
Robinson (99% of shots 0-10 ft)

All of these guys would be vying for the same small patch of the floor.

Randle works a bit better for us, only taking 39% of shots in the 0-10 ft category. Now, I'd still like him to increase that. 56 from 0-3 and 44 from 3 works for me in an ideal world. But in the Sabonis discussion, you can visualize Sabonis collapsing the floor even further with his inside play. I don't think he works next to Robinson.

That makes sense and it's definitely a solid point. We certainly would want to increase spacing and our roster makes it challenging enough as it is already. Wish we could land a Lauri type of stretch four ideally.

Those who wanted to salary dump Randle…

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy