[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Around the NBA 2022-23
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
12/11/2022  1:26 PM
wargames wrote:

I knew he was going to outplay that contract and I still think the Knicks are a dark horse candidate to do the trade. I would just grab Wright with him because as nice as McBride is playing on the low the Knicks need a more reliable back up PG.

I don't get this- where are you playing him when we have RJ and Randle as starters?

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/11/2022  3:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2022  3:11 PM
wargames wrote:I knew he was going to outplay that contract and I still think the Knicks are a dark horse candidate to do the trade. I would just grab Wright with him because as nice as McBride is playing on the low the Knicks need a more reliable back up PG.

You do understand that IQ is more the PG off the bench and McBride playing more off ball with light floor managing role right now?

Or maybe you are suggesting Knicks need a better backup to the backup PG? Over one who costs less than $2m versus $8m and who is 22 versus someone who will be 31 this year?

You want someone who is almost a decade older and much costlier instead of developing and playing the youth who the Knicks drafted?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
wargames
Member: #6053

12/11/2022  3:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2022  3:52 PM
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:I knew he was going to outplay that contract and I still think the Knicks are a dark horse candidate to do the trade. I would just grab Wright with him because as nice as McBride is playing on the low the Knicks need a more reliable back up PG.

You do understand that IQ is more the PG off the bench and McBride playing more off ball with light floor managing role right now?

Or maybe you are suggesting Knicks need a better backup to the backup PG? Over one who costs less than $2m versus $8m and who is 22 versus someone who will be 31 this year?

You want someone who is almost a decade older and much costlier instead of developing and playing the youth who the Knicks drafted?

Your argument in particular is so weird to me when you was so adamant only a few months ago that McBride was not ready. Also, no reason for the slow simmer anger. I get a feeling you’ve been going back and forth with others on this, but this has nothing to do with my take.

Anyhow let me clarify. I didn’t say bench PG I said backup PG. if Brunson was to miss any time this year due to injuries I do not feel comfortable with IQ or McBride being the starting PG in his place. McBride is nice, same for IQ, but I do not like either as a starting level PG even temporary. Meanwhile I think Wright could do it and his 2 year contract fits well with the eventual handing of the role to IQ or McBride.

Could this put McBride on the bench and out the Rotation? Maybe, but who even knows with Thibs. It’s just as likely Wright is out the rotation and is insurance for a injury. Right now if Brunson gets injured this team doesn’t have anyone I think that can replace him with the starters.

Totally off topic but it’s the same reason I hope the Knicks can snag Anthony Black in the draft.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
wargames

12/11/2022  3:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2022  3:50 PM
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:

I knew he was going to outplay that contract and I still think the Knicks are a dark horse candidate to do the trade. I would just grab Wright with him because as nice as McBride is playing on the low the Knicks need a more reliable back up PG.

I don't get this- where are you playing him when we have RJ and Randle as starters?

Off the bench (like most his career) and maybe starting if RJ doesn’t get his game together. I was saying that in the summer before RJ had a slump too.

To put Kuzma into perspective… he is what we think Reddish can be and I think a forward rotation of RJ/Randle/Toppin/Kuzma is really good. Not elite, but also much better than we have right now where Reddish and Fournier are out of the rotation at wing.

martin
USA
12/11/2022  3:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2022  3:52 PM
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:

Your argument in particular is so weird to me when you was so adamant only a few months ago that McBride was not ready. Also, no reason for the slow simmer anger. I get a feeling you’ve been going back and forth with others on this, but this has nothing to do with my take.

Anyhow let me clarify. I didn’t say bench PG I said backup PG. if Brunson was to miss any time this year due to injuries I do not feel comfortable with IQ or McBride being the starting PG in his place. McBride is nice, same for IQ, but I do not like either as a starting level PG even temporary. Meanwhile I think Wright could do it and his 2 year contract fits well with the eventual handing of the role to IQ or McBride.

Could this put McBride on the bench? Maybe, but who even knows with Thibs.

I mean, I’ll state it again: McBride isn’t ready to be a full time floor manager. That doesn’t mean he ain’t ready for minutes off bench in a dev mode. I think he fits in that role next to IQ quite nicely. And in case of injury situation, let them both feel the fire of an advancement in role, they just about there.

It’s crazytown to me to trade for backup PG role while still keeping Brunson, IQ, McBride… and no less with Roku in the wings. You are literally advocating trading for a 30+yo vet who would have zero long term benefit while also taking away minutes from young guys who are really close or ready for more minutes.

Wait, is this Steve Mills or Phil or the ghost of Thibs “I only play vets and never develop youth” past? Who are you really?

wargames

12/11/2022  4:02 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2022  4:03 PM
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:

I mean, I’ll state it again: McBride isn’t ready to be a full time floor manager. That doesn’t mean he ain’t ready for minutes off bench in a dev mode. I think he fits in that role next to IQ quite nicely. And in case of injury situation, let them both feel the fire of an advancement in role, they just about there.

It’s crazytown to me to trade for backup PG role while still keeping Brunson, IQ, McBride… and no less with Roku in the wings. You are literally advocating trading for a 30+yo vet who would have zero long term benefit while also taking away minutes from young guys who are really close or ready for more minutes.

Wait, is this Steve Mills or Phil or the ghost of Thibs “I only play vets and never develop youth” past? Who are you really?

If Brunson gets injured is anyone on the team ready to take his minutes with the starters as a floor manager? I don’t think either of them are “about there” and for the time being are good as a bench duo. For a team that seems dead set on making a playoff run Wright gives them Brunson injury insurance, can be sat on the bench as a low maintenance vet, and also bring another perimeter defender to use. Plus Wright contract is very movable next summer as a 1 year $7 Mil contract.

martin
USA
12/11/2022  4:07 PM
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:

If Brunson gets injured is anyone on the team ready to take his minutes with the starters as a floor manager? I don’t think either of them are “about there” and for the time being are good as a bench duo. For a team that seems dead set on making a playoff run Wright gives them Brunson injury insurance, can be sat on the bench as a low maintenance vet, and also bring another perimeter defender to use. Plus Wright contract is very movable next summer as a 1 year $7 Mil contract.

How about Derrick “former MVP” Rose?

wargames

12/11/2022  4:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/11/2022  4:22 PM
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:

How about Derrick “former MVP” Rose?

That is exactly the role I am describing but none of the guilt of treating Derrick Rose as a bench reserve.

They should trade Rose to a team that would play him, he deserves better from the Knicks and just based on who he is and where he is in his career send him to a contender. I legitimately think they will move him for a second rounder and somebody they can waive for that very reason.

Wright would be a cheaper version of Rose, who can provide better defense, who not for nothing isn’t owed anything by the franchise but his paycheck. You can bench Wright and fans are not offended by it.

Side note, they should trade Derrick Rose. Probably not in this trade, but he absolutely deserves better from the team and Thibs than to be benched like this in a contract year.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/12/2022  7:57 AM
I like Kuzma as described but if he wants that $20milish salary thats starter money, isn’t it? This is his payday.
4 game win streak and “Old man Thibs” has his team in a groove. Randle in a groove, and RJ is back on track. With Brunson and randle out he handled it very well and the team stuck it thru.

My guess is IQ gets the nod to start if JB can’t go with rose back in. He and Grimes can get it done. EF could also slip in at the 2. Teams plan for this. It might not execute, but its thought thru.

martin
USA
12/12/2022  8:15 AM
Nalod wrote:I like Kuzma as described but if he wants that $20milish salary thats starter money, isn’t it? This is his payday.
4 game win streak and “Old man Thibs” has his team in a groove. Randle in a groove, and RJ is back on track. With Brunson and randle out he handled it very well and the team stuck it thru.

My guess is IQ gets the nod to start if JB can’t go with rose back in. He and Grimes can get it done. EF could also slip in at the 2. Teams plan for this. It might not execute, but its thought thru.

I don't want Jalen to be injured but I want him to sit lots of games just so that we can see this scenario play out.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
12/12/2022  11:22 AM
martin wrote:
Nalod wrote:I like Kuzma as described but if he wants that $20milish salary thats starter money, isn’t it? This is his payday.

I don't want Jalen to be injured but I want him to sit lots of games just so that we can see this scenario play out.

I was thinking a 1:1 sub with Rose in the meantime the most logical move, but that opens up some options. If you move Quick to PG, do you then bring in Cam to take IQs minutes at SG?

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/12/2022  11:29 AM
😲
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/12/2022  3:39 PM
wargames wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
wargames wrote:

Off the bench (like most his career) and maybe starting if RJ doesn’t get his game together. I was saying that in the summer before RJ had a slump too.

To put Kuzma into perspective… he is what we think Reddish can be and I think a forward rotation of RJ/Randle/Toppin/Kuzma is really good. Not elite, but also much better than we have right now where Reddish and Fournier are out of the rotation at wing.

I would trade RJ for Kuzma. Send them Cam too.

martin
USA
12/12/2022  10:41 PM
Washington pick definitely not coming this year

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

12/12/2022  11:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2022  11:11 PM
It could definitely be for the best with the Wiz pick since the protection decreases from #14 in the coming draft to #12 in 2024, then #10 in 2025, and finally #8 in 2026. After that it would be a second rounder but you would hope it conveys by then. I would stand for #8 in 2026!

Oh and poor Douchezingis - I had nearly forgotten about him!

martin
USA
12/13/2022  8:30 AM
KnickDanger wrote:It could definitely be for the best with the Wiz pick since the protection decreases from #14 in the coming draft to #12 in 2024, then #10 in 2025, and finally #8 in 2026. After that it would be a second rounder but you would hope it conveys by then. I would stand for #8 in 2026!

Oh and poor Douchezingis - I had nearly forgotten about him!

By sheer coincidence, Knicks could have 2 first round picks each of the next 4 drafts: 2023 DAL top 10 protected, 2023 WAS top 12, 2024 DET top 18, 2025 MIL top 5. Detroit pick probably most iffy.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/13/2022  9:05 AM
Always wishing my guy the best, but it is what it is and it ain't what it used to be We need to bring Kenny back home where he is appreciated.
https://www.si.com/college/louisville/basketball/transcript-2022-23-game-nine-vs-florida-state

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Traveling to Florida State for their first true road game of the season, victory still eluded the Louisville men's basketball program, as the Cardinals fell 75-53 to the Seminoles to extend their winless start to the to the Kenny Payne era.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Clean
Member: #743
12/13/2022  1:20 PM

People always brings up Obi's defense when they want to justify his low minutes. Randle is playing much better now but I told yall Obi plays way better defense than Randle. Click on the link to see the full list. Quick is also near the top of the list but we want to trade him for a future pick.
martin
USA
12/13/2022  1:59 PM
Clean wrote: Quick is also near the top of the list but we want to trade him for a future pick.

Is that your take? Pretty much everything I have read just suggested Knicks took a call on IQ and, in the very least, wanted a 1st back in a trade scenario. Not that the Knicks themselves were actively shopping him.

This is the big leagues, teams often go through the motions of assessing the trade value of their own players all the time, it's just not often that it's repeated back to media. I'm sure it's the same for Cam, Obi, etc. and prob whole team TBH

martin
USA
12/13/2022  6:48 PM

Around the NBA 2022-23

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy