[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Despite the losses... Marbury is becoming a leader
Author Thread
rain
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #353
USA
11/17/2004  3:09 PM
Marbury's Olympic experience was humbling, he saw what team basketball is about...by playing first-hand against the Argentinians, Croats, Italians, etc. Run the offense, let the play get open shots and good looks at the hoop, team basketball wins. Larry Brown furthered this in practice with his disciplined approach.

A quote in today's post was really refreshing to see.. the team's best player, becoming it's leader, and calling for more discipline in the offense to get better shots. And Working on both ends of the floor.

"We weren't going all the way through our plays. I don't understand it, how you can break a play when you're scoring when you do run a play? We don't play to our third and fourth option."

"The best way to get out of a slump is to continue to play hard on both ends of the court. When you're out there playing hard and playing to exhaustion, it makes you get focused. Defense creates your offense."

The losses are hard. But I'd rather us go through this now.. to come together as a team. We have the talent to succeed.. is it ideal? No, but better than the pile of crap Layden left us with. Here's to hoping a true leader is born.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/17/2004  3:13 PM
one problem. Last night was the first night I saw him come out and assert himself on D early in the game. Right now he's seems more like a player bitching about losing. Winning talks. Go out and abuse Ward and win us a game against Hou so we go home at least 3-5. Thats not to bad considering the next 8 games or so are pretty weak. Get us to 9-6 after the first 15 and I will call him a leader.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jhferry
Member: #447
11/17/2004  3:14 PM
Um, Marbury should look in the mirror, he's full of it.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/17/2004  3:17 PM
Posted by fishmike:

one problem. Last night was the first night I saw him come out and assert himself on D early in the game. Right now he's seems more like a player bitching about losing. Winning talks. Go out and abuse Ward and win us a game against Hou so we go home at least 3-5. Thats not to bad considering the next 8 games or so are pretty weak. Get us to 9-6 after the first 15 and I will call him a leader.

I must have seen a different game. It looked like Tony was doing what he wanted against Marb, and in a different way than plain quickness allows (quickness of Tony or AI I would excuse). I saw at least 2 backdoor plays that Parker scored easily on.

I would to see more D from Marbury.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/17/2004  3:22 PM
Posted by martin:

I must have seen a different game. It looked like Tony was doing what he wanted against Marb, and in a different way than plain quickness allows (quickness of Tony or AI I would excuse). I saw at least 2 backdoor plays that Parker scored easily on.

I would to see more D from Marbury.

Parker got all those back door plays after Duncan got the ball. Marbs when to double team TD, and unfortunately gives Parker this open shots. Luckily they didn't fall. (Well, in retrospect, I'm not sure it is all that lucky, especially not when we still lose by 18.)

[Edited by - MaTT4281 on 11/17/2004 15:23:09]
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/17/2004  3:29 PM
It amazes me when ever Marbury speak people on the board or the media chalk it up as leadership. Man last game he got out played by Parker he was able to get into the lane very easily. It got so easy for him he stopped shooting from outside and took it to the rim almost anytime he wanted. If Marbury wants to be a leader then he needs to start mixing his game up because last game he was all to predictable.
rain
Member: #353
USA
11/17/2004  3:57 PM
Parker gets in the lane against everyone (he's the quickest in the league), but admittedly I didn't see the game. So I will take the boards word for it. He did include himself in the critique.
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/17/2004  5:48 PM
Listen, I love Marbury and I agree he is maturing but he needs to take a look in the mirror before we say he is a true leader. If he is going to talk about D then he needs to give a consistent effort on D. Yes Parker is a good player, but last night was ridiculous. He got into the paint everytime he touched the ball. Plus I just watched the game again on Tivo. Two back door passes had nothing to do with double teaming. On one the foreign guy cut through the lane, Marbury followed him, jogging the whole way and never looked at the ball. Duncan simply tossed it right by his ear. If he had played defense like they teach you in rec league that pass never would have been attempted. The second one was Ginobli popping out on a screen and then performing a basic fundamental V-cut to the basket. Marbury skipped his way through it and it resulted in a lay-up. He needs to back up what he says.
I just hope that people will like me
Bippity10
11/17/2004  5:49 PM
The funny part is right after both lay-ups Marbury suddenly turned up the intensity and sprinted up court with the inbounds.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/17/2004  7:45 PM
"The best way to get out of a slump is to continue to play hard on both ends of the court. When you're out there playing hard and playing to exhaustion, it makes you get focused. Defense creates your offense."

it's not leadership when all you're doing is blowing hot air & not backing up your own words w/actions
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bippity10
11/17/2004  11:32 PM
That's the funny thing about leadership, you can't just talk. People know when you are a fugazy. Marbury needs to understand that if he is going to criticize his teams defense he can't just play average defense at that point. He needs to play defense harder than he has ever played in his life. That's the tough thing about leadership, and why most people don't become leaders. There is a lot of responsibility.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
11/18/2004  7:23 AM
Marbury's defense has been awful in every game so far, and I mean every game as a Knick. I never realized how bad he was on defense before he got here. Unless he starts trying on the D he can't talk and can't be a true leader.

As far as winning, the only game I regreat so far this year is the Boston game. 2-6 is what we are going to be, JVG will prolly pick Lenny apart once again.

We'll prolly get back to .500 during our easy strech.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Despite the losses... Marbury is becoming a leader

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy