Give a Dog a bone!!!
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/17/2004  10:14 AM
Robinson unhappy he's still a Sixer
By MARTIN FRANK / The News Journal
11/17/2004PHILADELPHIA -- Glenn Robinson is back with the 76ers, and he's not happy about it.

He said he returned to the team Tuesday only because he was told to by team president and general manager Billy King.

Robinson is still on the injured list after leaving the team Oct. 26 for a personal family matter. He said King told him then to hang tight and that he would either be traded or waived.

King has yet to find a taker for Robinson, who is making $12 million this season in the final year of his contract.

"They haven't held up their end, and I'm very disappointed in that," Robinson said.

Then why did he return? "I'm under contract and it's my obligation," he said.

That doesn't mean he has to like it. Coach Jim O'Brien told Robinson the day before he left that he had lost his starting spot to rookie Andre Iguodala. The next week, the 76ers went public with their plans to trade Robinson.

Now, the Sixers could have a chemistry problem with a player who doesn't want to be with the team. Robinson said he also doesn't want to come off the bench after averaging 20.8 points per game through his 10 years in the NBA.

"I think Glenn will be a professional," King said. "He understands that the best place to showcase himself and get a contract for next year is by getting in shape and playing basketball."

Robinson's history suggests otherwise, like when he complained last season about his minutes when he was a starter. Besides, Robinson said he doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.

"Being a 20-point scorer for [10] years should be good enough," Robinson said. "People know my resume, people know my game and what I can do."

That's why Robinson said it will be tough for him to accept a reserve role if and when he is activated.

"It was easier for me to accept it knowing I was going to get traded," he said. "Now that I I'm still here, it is a problem. It's going to be hard to accept because I know I should be a starter."

O'Brien said it's up to him to make sure Robinson doesn't become a problem. He wouldn't speculate on when, or if, Robinson will come off the injured list. O'Brien said he needs to get back into shape and learn the plays before that could happen.

Both O'Brien and King said they wouldn't rule out having Robinson play at some point for the 76ers.

"I have no problem with Glenn Robinson's attitude," O'Brien said. "It's my job to develop team chemistry and I have no doubt that our team chemistry will be as solid in three weeks as it is today."

King said he has no plans right now to either waive Robinson outright and owe him the full $12 million or buy out a portion of his contract, then waive him. Robinson said he won't be amenable to a buyout anyway.

"It depends on what their price is," Robinson said. "Otherwise, no."

that's the article. heres the linke: http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2004/11/17robinsonunhappy.html

He is hungry and knows he is a starter. Timmy doesn't. O'brien wants to start IGGIE at the 3 so Timmy can resume his bench role with Philly. He will probably fit better since Iverson will take the majority of the shots. There is no pressure to score.

I say get Big Dog for a year and see what he does. Ariza will be the man by the time his contract is up. Big Dog could probably give the Knicks 2 solid years. Big Dog can shoot, pass and he is a fearless scorer. I think his game is closer to what the Knicks need.

Let's do it!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/17/2004  10:19 AM
Sure, what's one more malcontent that doesn't fit.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/17/2004  10:24 AM
i'd take Glen Rob's 20 ppg average over TT's 11 ppg average anyday, but it's not going to happen because TT has an extra year on his deal...the only way Glen Rob ends up on the Knicks is if they add something to the package to make it worth the Sixer's while to do it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/17/2004  10:38 AM
Posted by TMS:

i'd take Glen Rob's 20 ppg average over TT's 11 ppg average anyday, but it's not going to happen because TT has an extra year on his deal...the only way Glen Rob ends up on the Knicks is if they add something to the package to make it worth the Sixer's while to do it.

Like what though? I've been messing around with it. They don't need any of our big men cuz they have some very similiar guys over there.

Philly has the scorers and shooters too. They might be better off with waiving Big Dog.

Timmy might just need a change of scenery.....like a wake up call. If he goes to Philly he's gonna be in the same role he's in now.

Geez this is frustrating.

Timmy needs to be putting up 20pts 7rebs and 2 assists. That is Rashard lewis, KVH, and all the other good small fwds. Timmy's skill level is right up there.
He's already lost the Knicks 3 games.....T-Wolves, Spurs, and Indiana....all those teams are elite teams but they didn't show that they were that much better. If Timmy comes to play during any of those games the Knicks win....period.

[Edited by - enyspree on 11/17/2004 10:40:32]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/17/2004  11:56 AM
there really isn't a match there...the only way he ends up here is if PHI buys him out & Isiah signs him.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/17/2004  3:20 PM
Only if we can do something with TT, would I want the Big Dog here. I'm still afraid that TT is ahead of Ariza in the lineup, and if Glenn would be starting, that makes Ariza a 3rd string SF.
Besides, I'm not ready to give up in Timmy yet. It is getting very close, but I have seen what he can do. I still have hope he has some great games coming up around the horizon.
Give a Dog a bone!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy