Author Thread
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
11/17/2004  10:07 AM
Isiah needs a lone star
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/253612p-217131c.html

SAN ANTONIO - Sometimes, the planets align perfectly and, presto, you can rebuild in one fell swoop without ever hitting rock bottom.

The Spurs well remember the day in 1997 when Tim Duncan fell into their laps. Since then, they've won two championships and are poised to compete for as many titles as their power forward sees fit. They can count themselves as one of the truly lucky NBA franchises, the ones who have been able to rebuild from the inside out, around a franchise talent standing 7 feet.

Isiah Thomas should be reminded of this every time his Knicks play the Spurs, as was the case at the SBC Center last night. He often has compared rebuilding his team to replacing a jet engine at 40,000 feet. Never mind having the right tools. There isn't even a blueprint for what Isiah is attempting.

Not so with the Spurs, who can mark themselves down for 55 wins a year and a long playoff run every spring because of Duncan.

"He rates right up there with the best of them," said Lenny Wilkens, who has seen all the great power forwards during his 44 years as player and coach in the NBA. "He combines the agility to get by people and he passes the ball extremely well."

Perhaps it was an oversight, but Wilkens left out the most important stuff. Duncan makes teammates better. He wins titles.

He wasn't even MVP-caliber Duncan last night, but it hardly mattered. The Spurs are so far ahead of the Knicks and about 90% of the league at this point, they can take a ho-hum 17-point, 10-rebound performance from their superstar and still win a laugher, 99-81.

Meanwhile, Thomas, who inherited a terrible salary cap from Scott Layden and has only made it worse trying his mid-air repair job, is trying to rebuild from the outside in. It's a flawed approach. Athletic wing players can only take you so far.

If he had made the Texas trip and not gone off to scout college talent, Isiah could have seen how it should be done. But he knows, all too well. The Spurs tanked their season way back when Duncan was a senior and won the biggest lottery prize since Shaquille O'Neal. They never had to be bad for very long - they missed the playoffs only once during David Robinson's rapid decline before Duncan arrived.

In Houston, where the Knicks play tomorrow night, the Rockets are rebuilding in the same manner: Inside-out, behind a big man who might make a difference one day. They went just two seasons after Hakeem Olajuwon's departure before finding Yao Ming in the lottery. To accelerate matters, they had the smarts to stockpile enough talent during the last stages of the Olajuwon era to parlay three players into Tracy McGrady last summer.

The Rockets' loss to lowly Atlanta last night shows they're a work in progress. They need maturing, on both McGrady's and Yao's parts. But they have the two building blocks. Compare that to Thomas' predicament. He's been busy assembling supporting-cast types, none of whom stepped forward last night. He's made no inroads finding the superstar who can take the Knicks back to prominence. The way he spends money, he may never.

The Spurs spend wisely. But what continues to make them so good, and what is in stark contrast to the Knicks, is that they play team ball. Of their first 29 baskets last night, 24 came off assists.

The Spurs took the fight to the Knicks, who often show too little. Meanwhile, Isiah Thomas has imported players who can only run and dunk and don't perform as well in halfcourt sets or at the defensive end. Sure, they fit into Thomas' never-ending "we're more exciting" sales spiel.

But you want to know what's really exciting?

The kind of winning that goes on down here.
AUTOADVERT
SKY
Member: #687
USA
11/17/2004  10:07 AM
Nuff said...
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/17/2004  10:18 AM
Meanwhile, Isiah Thomas has imported players who can only run and dunk and don't perform as well in halfcourt sets or at the defensive end. Sure, they fit into Thomas' never-ending "we're more exciting" sales spiel.

That's it in a nutshell.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/17/2004  10:31 AM
BS.. the spurs tanked a season in a year in which they got lucky in the lottery. I refuse to do that.... Other than that, take Duncan away and lets see how smart the spurs are trying to win with Bowen, Parker and Ginobili, along with rose and horry... 30 win team at best.. I don't want to hear this BS.. they make it seem as if a team does not tank a season and get lucky in the lottery then they are doing everything wrong!!!!

And as far as this writer making excuses for Houston that is BS.. I watched that game last night, both T-mac and Yao went scoreless in the 4th quarter, to be exact, yao scored 1 bucked in the 4th.. that is inexcusable vs a outmanned Atlanta team.... And when you look at it, Houston does not look like a good team, yet the team they traded all their starters to, the magic. look like a playoff team right about now....

[Edited by - tkf on 11/17/2004 10:32:36]
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/17/2004  10:35 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Meanwhile, Isiah Thomas has imported players who can only run and dunk and don't perform as well in halfcourt sets or at the defensive end. Sure, they fit into Thomas' never-ending "we're more exciting" sales spiel.

That's it in a nutshell.

Don't be fooled by B1tch Lawrence, he only takes you to the surface of what is happening on the Knicks' team, ala Isiah.

- He did bring Marb and Penny, and I think we can all agree that this was a positive trade.

- Crawford for Othella, Deke and FWill? If this deal was NOT done Mitch would be talking about how slow and old the team was. What does Deke bring the Knicks? Nothing. Othella? Nothing. FWill, with Marbury and Penny, Nothing. Also, Houston is hurt, so who in the long run would fill his shoes. Not Penny, too old and slow, and he is gone in a year or so. Sure, Crawford has been suspect through 6 games, but the guy has talent. He can be taught to take his man off the dribble by going to the basket. He can be taught the mid-range jumpshot, instead of the dribbledribbledribblefadeaway. He can be a better defender. He can gain a little weight.

- Ariza? His is a wing man and will probably be an OK defender.

- JYD. He is a good defender. I hope he sticks with the team for several years.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
11/17/2004  10:57 AM
the point the writer is trying to make is that you have to know what you are doing before you think you know what you are doing.

is that the same dude who is a moderator at realgm.com

no wonder
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/17/2004  11:46 AM
I hate when writers and fans pretend they have a secret to a championship. Everytime a team comes up and becomes a multiple winner the media professes that they have found a way to win a title. Here' my point:

Pistons won titles with suffocating defense and a role playing center.

Bulls won titles with two wing players and a smorgasboard at center.

Spurs won with a dominating big man obtained in the lottery

Lakers won with a dominating big man obtained via free agency and a dominant wing player obtained in a trade.

The Pistons won with no stars and great team players

There are millions of ways to win a title. But from where we were with Layden there was no way to magically turn ourselves into a title contender. Everyone knows that everyone agrees with that but Zeke still takes blame for not doing it. Regardless of how impatient we have been 2007 was stil the date we had to wait for.

Last point, let's say we tore the thing down and started rebuilding in 2001. If we drafted well we would have been ecstatic if we got young players with the potential of Sweetney, Ariza and Jamal Crawford. Well we have those young players we all said we were patient enough to wait for. These guys will be nearing their primes in 2007. I keep trying to make this point over and over and am consistently ignored. If you ignore the TT's and Houston's of the world you would notice that we actually are currently rebuilding. You have to be patient like we all said we would be. Those contracts of TT and Allan will be coming to an end in the next few years. Let's just hope that Zeke or whoever comes in at that time will still make solid moves. Once you stop trying to look at this team as going from Layden to a title contender over night and realize that we are a work in progress(just like Houston) you will be at peace. Like me :)
I just hope that people will like me
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/17/2004  11:51 AM
bipadamus speaks and we all should listen...
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/17/2004  12:07 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

I hate when writers and fans pretend they have a secret to a championship. Everytime a team comes up and becomes a multiple winner the media professes that they have found a way to win a title. Here' my point:

Lakers won with a dominating big man obtained via free agency and a dominant wing player obtained in a trade.

There are millions of ways to win a title. But from where we were with Layden there was no way to magically turn ourselves into a title contender. Everyone knows that everyone agrees with that but Zeke still takes blame for not doing it. Regardless of how impatient we have been 2007 was stil the date we had to wait for.

Last point, let's say we tore the thing down and started rebuilding in 2001. If we drafted well we would have been ecstatic if we got young players with the potential of Sweetney, Ariza and Jamal Crawford. Well we have those young players we all said we were patient enough to wait for. These guys will be nearing their primes in 2007. I keep trying to make this point over and over and am consistently ignored. If you ignore the TT's and Houston's of the world you would notice that we actually are currently rebuilding. You have to be patient like we all said we would be. Those contracts of TT and Allan will be coming to an end in the next few years. Let's just hope that Zeke or whoever comes in at that time will still make solid moves. Once you stop trying to look at this team as going from Layden to a title contender over night and realize that we are a work in progress(just like Houston) you will be at peace. Like me :)

excellent post, and that is why when people cry rebuild, I laugh, because we would lose and all hell would break lose.. and a good point about ariza, sweets and crawford, in 2007, they will be 22,25, and 27 respectivley.. the knicks are rebuilding, just doing it on the fly, and right now our record reflects that, along with a tough schedule....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/17/2004  12:11 PM
Isiah next move will be: a trade with the Hawks for Antoine Walker.
The true Knickabocker..........
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/17/2004  12:12 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Bippity10:

excellent post, and that is why when people cry rebuild, I laugh, because we would lose and all hell would break lose.. and a good point about ariza, sweets and crawford, in 2007, they will be 22,25, and 27 respectivley.. the knicks are rebuilding, just doing it on the fly, and right now our record reflects that, along with a tough schedule....

yea, agreed with both.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
From NY Daily - "Isiah needs a lone star"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy