[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

the official frustration thread - what is wrong with this team?
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/16/2004  11:03 PM
what is wrong with this team?

i didn't expect them to beat the spurs but i can't even remember teams under chaney this bad defensively. there's usually some sort of run when they get down in the 3rd quarter but not tonight.

there is absolutely no type of identity with this team. none.

are we a running team?
half court?
defensive?
pick and roll?
work it through the post?

seriously, what is this team about. it's very early but there is absolutely nothing positive coming out of this season outside of ariza and seeing how sweetney CAN be a impact player if he gets the opportunity. outside of those two, there is nothing else i can think of that has improved from the last 3 years.

why?
why can't they give sweetney the ball more?
why do they go in these offensive sequences where they have no clue what type of play they're running?
why do they make sloppy passes?
why are they getting blown out every other game?
why does it look like they're giving up?
why?

this is very frustrating. i'm one of the more positive thinkers and posters on this board concerning this team but at this point, i have nothing but questions. nothing has been answered and i'm seeing nothing positive so far.

i keep saying to myself "it's early, it's early". "give it time, they'll come around" but it's apparently clear that the expiration date for those excuses are coming up.

i thought we could survive without h20 for a while. could we?
i thought tim was ready to make a serious impact. could he?
i thought they would feature sweetney alot more. would they?

nazr plays hard, he's just not good enough.
kurt plays hard and gets so much respect from me, but he's not being utilized like he should.
marbury is really trying to be a leader and become a pass first guy.
tim...what can i say about tim that hasn't been said already?

so many questions.
it hurts man watching this team.
so frustrating.

it's early. it's early. give it time, they'll come around...
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/16/2004  11:05 PM
The most frustrating thing so far...we don't know how hard our guys are going to play night in and night out. If we can atleast assemble a team that I KNOW is going to give it 110% everynight, losses won't seem too bad.
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
11/16/2004  11:06 PM
Tim Thomas
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/16/2004  11:09 PM
Posted by simrud:

Tim Thomas

In a word: yes.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/16/2004  11:13 PM
The Knicks need to be a defense first team and they're not. Lenny is the wrong coach for this team.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/16/2004  11:13 PM
i think marbury deserves just as much blame for tonight's game
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
11/16/2004  11:37 PM
marbury didnt step up today, we needed the offense from him but he didnt deliver, but TT was just straight up bad, i dont understand why we kept giving him the ball. Im starting to think lenny's system isnt working out, and a new coach is needed.
manilaballer
Member: #521
Philippines
11/16/2004  11:44 PM
To me it just seems like a badly assembled team... like some sort of Frankenstein monster haphazardly put together, without any direction, identity or guidance. Of course, that's really what Detroit was like, a team made up of misfits and odds-and-ends, but now that they've won a championship they're considered the best team around.

My answer therefore is: Lenny. An inspired coach would figure out what to do with this bunch, but obviously Lenny doesn't have a clue.
KNICKS 2006
gunsnewing
USA
11/16/2004  11:57 PM
there's potential for direction once the contracts of houston, penny and TT are off the book and a different coach is brought in. The direction will be athletic run and gun type ball. just give it 2-3 years
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
11/16/2004  11:59 PM
Posted by Rich:

The Knicks need to be a defense first team and they're not. Lenny is the wrong coach for this team.
dude, I was thinking the exact same thing. I am pretty frustrated right now.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/17/2004  12:03 AM
They are just an average team.
gunsnewing
USA
11/17/2004  1:07 AM
i don't think there is potential for them to be a good defense team. There's no Ben Wallace, Oakley or Artest on this team. Don't say say Ariza because we still don't know for sure if he's ready this year or Sweetney for that matter. Jerome's defense may be good but I don't think it's groundbreaking since he's not a complete player and another liability on offense. Isiah deserves some of the blame too for putting this mess together but in the long run we have a better team now then the team we had under Layden. But we will not get past the first round unless changes are made. Bring in defense and a better coach. Lenny is too old to motivate players anymore.
manilaballer
Philippines
11/17/2004  1:09 AM

Yes, by league standards they are an average team. But on paper they should at least be tops in the Atlantic damnit!

Well, maybe this has just been a tough stretch of games against pretty good teams. I hope they turn it around soon.

GO KNICKS!!!
KNICKS 2006
gunsnewing
USA
11/17/2004  1:15 AM
it will get better once we start playing the brilliant East
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/17/2004  1:50 AM
this team is what it is. its clearly far below the top tier teams. its built to beat the ****ty teams of the east. we cant compete with western teams because
A. we dont have an elite PF
B. we dont play 48 minutes
C. our 2-3 position is shooting in the 30% range
D. we have no one to impede penetration

with that said we will still beat the majority of east teams. that sure isnt saying much for 105MM

by the way, i know this hasnt been brought up much, but Crawford CANT play 2 G for this team and shoot under 40%. HE HAS to STOP taking any form of bad shots. either take a wide open shot dribble drive penetrate or move the ball.

tim thomas, he did some better things tonight but still shot the ball poorly and got caught loafing back on D several times. i dont know what to say about TT other than close to the same advice. try to make your shots more effecient and if nothing is there move the ball.

personally i would shake things up a little

for the next game i would start penny hardaway and bring Crawford off the bench. I know people would likely rather have TT out, but we still need the size.

move Crawford to combo 6th man and make sure he gets more people involved and takes effecient decisions in terms of all-around offensive play

Also, do not cut Ariza out. you cant let TT play and sck for 30+minutes and pull ariza at the first sign of something bad. he has earned the right to play 20 minutes IMHO

Here is how I go next game

C-Nazr 32 minutes
PF KT 32 minutes
SF TT 26 minutes
SG Py 30 minutes
PG Mar 38 minutes
6tCraw 28 minutes
Sweetney26 minutes
Ariza 18 minutes
JYD 10 minutes
RIP Crushalot😞
Caseloads
Member: #41
11/17/2004  1:51 AM
Posted by Vmart:

below average
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/17/2004  1:54 AM
the loss to Boston was the only one of the six games that surprised me. In general the team still looks like the 45 win team I thought they were. They just have a rough schedule right now.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/17/2004  2:08 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/34324.htm

KNICK LOSS ALARMS MARBURY

By MARC BERMAN

November 17, 2004 -- SAN ANTONIO — Tim Duncan did not kill the Knicks last night. The Knicks offense killed the Knicks.

The Knicks did a pretty good job on Duncan, holding him to a quiet 17 points. But they shot 38.7 percent amidst a disorganized offensive effort that had Stephon Marbury deeply concerned afterward.

The Knicks competed for the first 21/2 quarters and were still blown out in the opening game of their trip to the Texas Triangle, a 99-81 loss to the Spurs at SBC Center.

Tim Thomas' unsightly season continued with a 5-of-15, five-turnover outing, and Jamal Crawford (15 points) scored just four second-half points. A spate of Knick third-quarter turnovers led to a series of Spurs' fastbreaks that broke open a close game in which the Knicks trailed by two points with 8:01 left in the third. In fact, the Knicks held the lead for the game's first 14 minutes.

"We weren't executing," said Marbury, who shot just 4 of 12 for 13 points, his mindset on distributing the ball.

"We weren't going all the way through our plays. I don't understand it, how you can break a play when you're scoring when you do run a play? We don't play to our third and fourth option."

Marbury said when one player breaks the play "it totally destroys the offense, whether I do it, Tim does it or Jamal does it."

The Knicks wasted a spirited defensive first half as they ran out of gas, got nothing from the bench and got beat badly in transition in the second half (24 transition points total).

"Our transition defense was horrendous," Marbury said.

The 2-4 Knicks next face the Jeff Van Gundy's Rockets tomorrow in Houston, the only winnable game of this four-game trip. The Rockets lost last night to the horrible Hawks and will be playing their third game in four nights. No matter how great a coach Van Gundy is considered and even with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, the Rockets do have Charlie Ward as their starting point guard.

The Knicks made Duncan look mortal in the first half, held the lead for the entire first quarter but still trailed 50-44 at the half.

The Knicks would've led at halftime had Thomas made some buckets. His shooting slump has become alarming. Trying to take advantage of his matchup against the smaller Bruce Bowen, Thomas got good looks but did more bricking than hitting.

Thomas, who entered the game shooting 35 percent, was 3 of 12 in the first half. At one juncture, he lofted 11 shots in 11 minutes.

While many were open shots, Thomas showed selfishness late in the first quarter. He had the ball on the left wing with center Nazr Mohammed wide open by the basket. Thomas eschewed the pass, drove to the hole and blew a runner.

Lenny Wilkens said Thomas is "trying too hard."

Said Marbury, "The best way to get out of a slump is to continue to play hard on both ends of the court. When you're out there playing hard and playing to exhaustion, it makes you get focused. Defense creates your offense."

The Knicks played the half with defensive passion before the Spurs opened it up midway through the third quarter. San Antonio scored two consecutive transition baskets, one after a desperation 32-footer by Michael Sweetney that allowed Tony Parker to go coast to coast for a layup. Then Marbury rushed a perimeter shot, and Duncan went the other way for a fastbreak jam, giving the Spurs a 67-56 lead.

In the first half, Duncan was held to eight points, barely touched the ball in the opening six minutes. He was 3 of 7 from the field in the half.

manilaballer
Philippines
11/17/2004  4:07 AM
"We weren't going all the way through our plays. I don't understand it, how you can break a play when you're scoring when you do run a play? We don't play to our third and fourth option."

Marbury said when one player breaks the play "it totally destroys the offense, whether I do it, Tim does it or Jamal does it."

i think marbs just stops short of saying "TT and JCraw are taking crazy, ill-advised shots and f*%&^ng up our offense"
KNICKS 2006
bernard
Member: #475
11/17/2004  9:25 AM
3 observations

1 - It's still early. None of us thought this team would be as good in November as in April. Also, we've played 3 of the very top teams in the league on the road. Even if we were playing well, I wouldn't have expected W's out of any of these games. Realistically, we've only lost 1 more game than we could have hoped (Boston at home) at this point in the season.

2 - But they do look very bad -- on defense against everybody. Lack of transition D last night is the kind of thing that gets a coach fired. If I have to watch any more of Tim Thomas droop his shoulders, smile sardonically, and barely even jog back after another of his turnovers or missed chippies, I'm going to have a broken tv. Sit that mf down if he can't hustle back on d to at least try to make up for his endless mistakes.

3 - Team is not playing like it has a coach, much less a good one. Not taking advantage of our mismatches and not doing anything to cover up for opponents mismatches. Yes, it's early, but Lenny watch is about to dominate the tabloids if they don't show more.

Also, Sweets, Craw and Ariza have a lot of maturing to do as ball players. We all said we knew this, but it's still tough to watch them be so inconsistent. They all have have been exposed playing against top flight competition, which shouldn't be surprising. Let's hope they start to respond.
the official frustration thread - what is wrong with this team?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy