Author Thread
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

6/28/2022  12:36 PM
Clean wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Not sure if this is good or bad news. Not sure I even know what this tweet even means

very good news. If we can do this while keeping Burks and Reddish im cool with it

I dunno its sounding like Reddish may be next to go. Easy salary to dump and GMs are intrigued by him. Burks is an expiring contract but makes more money. Would get us to $23 mil under after Taj is waived

If the Mavs would go for the sign and trade we would not need to lose Cam. I don't see why they would not want to trade a tpe, 2nd rounder and Noel is better than nothing. In that case everyone wins.

Cuban is going to want to resign Brunson outright. That’s his style he doesn’t care if he has to pay luxury tax

That’s the main thing that worries me about the Knicks trying to get Brunson

AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/28/2022  12:43 PM
Philc1 wrote:Cuban is going to want to resign Brunson outright. That’s his style he doesn’t care if he has to pay luxury tax

I don't believe that. Dallas had a TPE of $10M that just expired and zero whiff of Mavs using it. He cares about the Luxury tax.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/28/2022  12:59 PM
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:Cuban is going to want to resign Brunson outright. That’s his style he doesn’t care if he has to pay luxury tax

I don't believe that. Dallas had a TPE of $10M that just expired and zero whiff of Mavs using it. He cares about the Luxury tax.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mark-cuban-mavericks-luxury-tax-130007998.html

Cuban paid the luxury tax the first nine seasons it was assessed. Dallas’ total tax bill in that span (more than $150 million) was lower than only the Knicks’ (about $195 million) and eclipsed the 20-lowest-spending teams’ combined.

But he hasn’t paid the tax since. This will be Dallas’ 10th straight year outside the luxury tax.

That tax avoidance could change next season. Luka Doncic‘s super-max extension begins. Dorian Finney-Smith just got a big raise on his contract extension. Tim Hardaway Jr., Spencer Dinwiddie, Davis Bertans, Dwight Powell and Reggie Bullock remain locked into lucrative deals.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
6/28/2022  3:32 PM
The Mavs public stance on this has been that they'll get a deal done if Brunson wants to be there. It's not optimal for them, but once you're over the cap you're limited in ways you can improve your team - so you don't want to lose any talent you have to free agency.

The Knicks are doing a great job getting into Brunson's consideration set - Returning to the Mavs was a no-brainer (they made it deep in the playoffs, Brunson played a big role, Mavs can offer the most cash) but now the Knicks have signed dad as an assistant and they've opened up enough cap room and amassed some enticing assets if they sign & trade, including Keels (there was lots of chatter about him on Mavs blogs). And outside of the Mavs giving him a max deal, the Knicks are in a position to clear out another player or two to sign him outright, no S&T needed (package any player + a draft pick, done deal).

One perpetual challenge with the Mavs is that Doncic is basically the Mavs PG, and that limits Brunson's ability to reach his full potential as a PG - he'll have the be a combo guard. His path to individual accolades (assist champ, all-NBA, all star, etc) is quite difficult.

The Knicks (or any other team) would have to sell him on what he could become - multiple all-star berths, 20/10 seasons, ball in his hands and simply playing PG. Finding out what his true potential would be. They'd also need to convince him that he's the missing piece to becoming a perennial playoff contender.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
6/28/2022  3:42 PM
ESPN article by Kelvin Pelton

How Brunson starred without Doncic

Of this year's two top candidates, I think Brunson is easier to evaluate in a larger role because he delivers when Doncic rests and he becomes the Mavericks' go-to guy. Last season, Brunson played 1,208 minutes without Luka, per NBA Advanced Stats, boosting his usage rate from 17% of the team's plays with Doncic to 27% without him while maintaining an average .565 true shooting percentage.

Toss in Brunson's 7.4 assists per 36 minutes with Luka on the bench -- more than double his average with Luka on the floor -- and there wasn't really a good comp for that level of production in the NBA last season. CJ McCollum (28% usage, .553 TS%) probably came closest, though McCollum averaged just 5.3 assists per 36 minutes.

In the 17 games Doncic missed last season, Brunson was particularly strong. He averaged 20.4 points and 7.5 assists as Dallas went 8-9 without the team's star. And Brunson was even better with Luka on the bench in the playoffs, ramping up his usage to his incredible 34% with .559 TS%.

Certainly, Brunson benefited from the shooting the Mavericks put around him. A majority of his minutes in the regular season came with four capable 3-point shooters spacing the floor, a luxury Brunson won't enjoy if he signs with the spacing-challenged New York Knicks. Still, evidence suggests Brunson's game will translate into a larger role.

—-

If we assume he can average 20 pts and 7.5 assists here, the question is will that be worth $25 million. In my view, Quickley can average 20 pts and 7.5 assists if given 36 minutes a game, so I am lukewarm on Brunson. I think the Knicks should exercise patience and let the Mavs overpay for him.

Trust the Process
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

6/28/2022  3:43 PM
TheGame wrote:ESPN article by Kelvin Pelton

Of this year's two top candidates, I think Brunson is easier to evaluate in a larger role because he delivers when Doncic rests and he becomes the Mavericks' go-to guy. Last season, Brunson played 1,208 minutes without Luka, per NBA Advanced Stats, boosting his usage rate from 17% of the team's plays with Doncic to 27% without him while maintaining an average .565 true shooting percentage.

Toss in Brunson's 7.4 assists per 36 minutes with Luka on the bench -- more than double his average with Luka on the floor -- and there wasn't really a good comp for that level of production in the NBA last season. CJ McCollum (28% usage, .553 TS%) probably came closest, though McCollum averaged just 5.3 assists per 36 minutes.

In the 17 games Doncic missed last season, Brunson was particularly strong. He averaged 20.4 points and 7.5 assists as Dallas went 8-9 without the team's star. And Brunson was even better with Luka on the bench in the playoffs, ramping up his usage to his incredible 34% with .559 TS%.

Certainly, Brunson benefited from the shooting the Mavericks put around him. A majority of his minutes in the regular season came with four capable 3-point shooters spacing the floor, a luxury Brunson won't enjoy if he signs with the spacing-challenged New York Knicks. Still, evidence suggests Brunson's game will translate into a larger role.

—-

If we assume he can average 20 pts and 7.5 assists here, the question is will that be worth $25 million. In my view, Quickley can average 20 pts and 7.5 assists if given 36 minutes a game, so I am lukewarm on Brunson. I think the Knicks should exercise patience and let the Mavs overpay for him.

You say this like Quickley and Brunson can't eventually play together?

The Future is Bright!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/28/2022  3:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2022  3:45 PM

—-

Brunson is just so efficient. 50% career shooter with a healthy dose of 3pt attempts too.

martin
USA
6/28/2022  3:51 PM

—-

These are the players in all of the NBA that averaged >= 20pts and >=7 assists: Luka, Trae, Joker, Lillard, Harden, Darias Garland, Dejounte Murray, LaMelo Ball.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&CF=PTS*GE*20:AST*GE*7&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

TheGame
USA
6/28/2022  4:08 PM
TPercy wrote:

—-

You say this like Quickley and Brunson can't eventually play together?

I think if you sign Brunson, then you have to start looking for a trade for Quickley. I don’t think we are going to pay Quickley $15 million a year to be a backup PG in two years. We probably would start looking for trades that turn Quickley into a future 1st round pick unless the Knicks plan to trade Rose, which I don’t think they are looking to do.

Trust the Process
TheGame
USA
6/28/2022  4:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2022  5:03 PM
martin wrote:

—-

These are the players in all of the NBA that averaged >= 20pts and >=7 assists: Luka, Trae, Joker, Lillard, Harden, Darias Garland, Dejounte Murray, LaMelo Ball.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&CF=PTS*GE*20:AST*GE*7&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

That is true. But I will also say all of those players are better than Brunson, so we are betting on him staying at that level and marginally improving over the next 4 years. While not impossible, it is a huge gamble for the franchise. Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying signing Brunson is a definite mistake. I can see where his game could blossom here, and he turns us into a contending team if RJ and Grimes and Toppin continue to improve. Hopefully, Rose knows what he is doing but I also like Quickley’s potential too as a starter. In any case, it looks like the Knicks are going all in on Brunson so it really is up to him as to whether he wants to take on the challenge.

Trust the Process
TheGame
USA
6/28/2022  4:57 PM
Trust the Process
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/28/2022  5:19 PM
I was waiting for him t fall flat on his face in the playoffs, but e proved me wrong. Sure, he might not deserve $25mil per, but then again he had a better season than Anfernee Simons and no bball writer is crying that he’ll likely be signing for a similar number
martin
USA
6/28/2022  5:22 PM
martin
USA
6/28/2022  5:39 PM
martin
USA
6/28/2022  5:41 PM

TPercy
Member: #5748

6/28/2022  5:41 PM
martin wrote:

COCKS OUT BOYS! WE GETTING A PG!

The Future is Bright!
martin
USA
6/28/2022  5:49 PM
^ LOL
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

6/28/2022  5:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2022  5:54 PM
martin wrote:

Cuban paid more for the Mavs then anyone else ever did for an nba franchise at that time and he did it before the Dirk years when they were perennial losers. He is a legit threat to match our offer for Brunson

TheGame
USA
6/28/2022  7:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/28/2022  7:23 PM

Only Steph Curry shot the ball better on self created shots than Brunson, which is impressive. There is no question Brunson is worth the money on offense. However, how long before Thibbs grows frustrated with teams switching to Brunson and shooting over him? He is an average defender. A better defender than Kemba Walker but still undersized, with average athleticism and short arms. He will have to take his defense up to the next level for him to truly be worth the money and the longterm solution at point.

Trust the Process
gradyandrew
Member: #8959

6/28/2022  7:25 PM
Having Dallas's pick really puts them over the barrel if they want to attach picks to drop other salary. Bertans and THJ have big, long contracts that Dallas would probably like to move to make Brunson an offer that doesn't push them deep in the luxury tax. A little luxury tax isn't a big deal but once you start hitting additional 5 million markers it adds up quickly.

Dinwiddie might have more trade value but it also begs the question of why not just start him and give him Jalen's role. Clearly with the numbers Jalen put up as a number one option, he's more valuable as a lead guard vs. playing off of Luka.

Wood is also really good and will need more shots than Dwight Powell (13 vs 5 FGA last season). Noel and their pick back make a lot of sense for Dallas.

Mavs podcast Brunson is staying

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy