[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

In how many games does the slump excuse go away????
Author Thread
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
11/17/2004  9:23 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Isiah is going to have to put this on the coach sooner or later, hopefully sooner.
You are right Kwaz, Lenny needs to start coming up with defensive schemes.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/17/2004  9:46 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I would just like to know who is playing D and who isnt?

JYD is, the rest of the Knicks are not.

Don't forget Kurt Thomas. He always gives an honest effort. He's not the most talented guy on the team but at the very least he tries which is a lot more than you can say about some of the others.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/17/2004  9:51 AM
its pretty ironic but we need more guys like KT. A year ago it was how do we get away from guys like KT, now we need more like him. I do think Ariza will be a Thomas like player, even better but he still needs seasoning.

I didnt think last night was as bad as the Pacers game, even though we got blown out. We played hard, we just didnt execute well (at all). If the effort is there everynight the chemistry will come.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/17/2004  9:51 AM
i agree isles...i've done alot of KT bashing, but he's been a very stabilizing presence on this team this season & has consistently put up numbers in every game as well as defended his position well...JYD is the other Knick that you KNOW you're going to get an all out effort everytime he steps out on the floor...Sweetney is usually too, except for last night.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
spreeeewell
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #436
11/17/2004  10:33 AM
I just think we need to bench Tim,he's taking time away from players that can really help us such as Penny,Jerome and Trevor.we cannot aford to wait 8 or 10 games,let him prove himself off the bench.
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/17/2004  11:05 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by martin:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I would just like to know who is playing D and who isnt?

JYD is, the rest of the Knicks are not.

Don't forget Kurt Thomas. He always gives an honest effort. He's not the most talented guy on the team but at the very least he tries which is a lot more than you can say about some of the others.
Agreed; that's why I didn't mind when Isiah gave Thomas an MLE-size extension
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/17/2004  11:14 AM
the reason why Tiny Timmy's problems are so evident is because the front-court is not capable of pulling their share of the burden. When you have more than 1 starter that is not playing well, it shines the bright light on almost all of the players. That is why I have always said that our starting lineup doesn't fit. Why in the world must we have: Timmy, Kurt, and Naser together on the court as our starters? I would much rather have Timmy, Sweet, and Kurt. As much as Lenny has talked about this lineup, he has yet to use it this year. Timmy is struggling, and given the talents that he has, it is ok for a coach to let him work his way out of his funk. However, we can't afford to have less than 30 points and 30 boards from the front-line. TT is an ofensive player and we will need him down the road if he is not traded, but Kurt or Naser can't be our starters. Kurt is physical, but Naser isn't. Replace Naser by Kurt at Center or Sundov or Vinny, and play JYD or Sweetney at the 4, we will have a totally different output up front. 6 games, Lenny needs to recognize that lack of energy by now.

the time has come for Lenny to make a change in our starting 5. Now is the time to move either Timmy or Naser from our starting squad. One of the two has to be replaced. Personally, I want to see Naser come off of the bench.
The true Knickabocker..........
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/17/2004  11:45 AM
Tim Thomas came off the bench his whole career behind Big Dog. He got his big contract in Miluakee becuase of Potential, his playoff performances, and the fact that he could play 4 positions off the bench. He is easily cappable of being a 18pt 5rebound SF. He has been through out his career a big late game & playoff performer. Isiah Thomas brought Tim Thomas to compliment Marbury & Houston and we are yet to really see that trio in action.

He tried hard last game which is what we have been asking of him. His shot wasn't falling even though he had good looks which I don't understand why its not falling but he did try hard to get it going. People use to complain that he was to laid back and doesn't care. He now he tries hard it still does fall for him and he is still getting bashed. Rebounds didn't fall into his lap he put hisself in position to get rebounds he was under the basket all game which he normally wouldn't do.

The indy game he deserved to be bashed but as did the whole team other than Marbury but not this game vs Spurs. Marbury got outplayed by Parker, Crawford was shut down and took shot bad shots.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
diderotn
USA
11/17/2004  12:00 PM
I agree with the last poster. That is why I have strongly suggested to keep him as a starter, but Naser has to be replaced. Forget about adding Naser as a big man, play an intense defender like JYD or Sweetney to cover the defensive mistakes of TT, Marburry, and Crawf.
TMS
USA
11/17/2004  12:12 PM
come on newyork...effort is 1 thing, playing smart basketball is another...he committed 5 turnovers & most of them came in the stretch run when the game was being decided...he had a good 1st half & a terrible 2nd half...he missed 2/3 of the shots he took, & didn't play any defense at all in the 2nd half...let's call his performance for what it was...he needs to sustain the type of effort he gave in the 1st half for the whole game for us to get off his back...showing up to play in the 1st 2 quarters isn't enough...that was the knock most of you had on KVH while he was here, remember? at least his #'s are alot better overall...TT needs to up his game bigtime...he deserves every criticism he's getting right now.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
USA
11/17/2004  12:15 PM
Criticism is ok, but TT is not the reason why we are losing games. He is one of the reasons, but others are at faults also. The main blame falls on Lenny, because when you have guys like JYD, Ariza, and Sweetney, you can afford to play around with the lineup. Lenny is not doing that. The day we start: Marb, Crawf, TT, Sweetney or JYD, AND Kurt, we will win that game.

Posted by TMS:

come on newyork...effort is 1 thing, playing smart basketball is another...he committed 5 turnovers & most of them came in the stretch run when the game was being decided...he had a good 1st half & a terrible 2nd half...he missed 2/3 of the shots he took, & didn't play any defense at all in the 2nd half...let's call his performance for what it was...he needs to sustain the type of effort he gave in the 1st half for the whole game for us to get off his back...showing up to play in the 1st 2 quarters isn't enough...that was the knock most of you had on KVH while he was here, remember? at least his #'s are alot better overall...TT needs to up his game bigtime...he deserves every criticism he's getting right now.
TMS
USA
11/17/2004  12:19 PM
no doubt, i agree...alot of blame can be spread all around...Stephon needs to play better D, Sweetney needs to work more on his post game, Nazr needs to finish around the basket better than he has been, JYD & Penny need to play more, Ariza needs to work on his J, Crawford needs to take better shots, the whole team needs to give a better effort for 48 minutes.
diderotn
USA
11/17/2004  12:44 PM
the one that really need to bring his (A) game is Lenny. JYD is a force and we should utilize what he can bring one way or the other.

Ben Wallace Position: F-C
Born: 09/10/74
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg.
College: Virginia Union '96

JYD Position: F-C
Born: 05/10/73
Height: 6-9 / 2,06
Weight: 206 lbs. / 93,4 kg.
College: Georgetown '96

JYD has a better ofensive game than Ben Wallace, but Wallace has better hops than he does. Wallace is a great shot blocker, and I don't see why JYD can't be that same player. Give JYD similar minutes as Wallace, and he will perhaps do the same damages as Wallace. Once in Wallace's career, he wasn't knowned as Big Ben, but now he does. Work ethic and a little trust from his coaches, and now he is the man. Stop playing around Lenny, give JYD a starting position, and you will have a much more agressive unit on the court than what you have right now. I am talking about 48 minutes pure hustles.

Wallace anchors Detroit's defense and most of all his nonselfish attitude contaminates his team-mates.

JYD CAN BRING THOSE SAME INTANGIBLES.

[Edited by - diderotn on 11/17/2004 12:49:27]
TMS
USA
11/17/2004  12:52 PM
woah, JYD compared to Ben Wallace? come on now bro...the guy is a good role player, but will never be on that level...Wallace is just a beast on the boards & blocking shots, something JYD will never come close to being as good at, no matter how many minutes he plays...JYD's game is all about doing the little things, diving after loose balls, being a pest to the opposition on defense, bringing the intangibles off the bench to positively affect a game.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
11/17/2004  12:53 PM
Posted by diderotn:

the one that really need to bring his (A) game is Lenny. JYD is a force and we should utilize what he can bring one way or the other.
Yah man, I agree. JYD has to get more playing time. He is very good on defense and should be utilized!
Posted by TMS:

Stephon needs to play better D
or needs to play D.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
diderotn
USA
11/17/2004  12:54 PM
How do you know that for sure? Ben was once considered a bench player, but now he is an all-star. If the coach that gave him the opportunity thought like most of you is today, Ben would have been a bench player still.

Posted by TMS:

woah, JYD compared to Ben Wallace? come on now bro...the guy is a good role player, but will never be on that level...Wallace is just a beast on the boards & blocking shots, something JYD will never come close to being as good at, no matter how many minutes he plays...JYD's game is all about doing the little things, diving after loose balls, being a pest to the opposition on defense, bringing the intangibles off the bench to positively affect a game.
TMS
USA
11/17/2004  1:01 PM
there's a huge difference...Ben is alot more athletic than JYD is, & he effected a game w/his shotblocking & rebounding, which earned him minutes...JYD effects a game on a different level w/his little intangibles, but not on as great a scale...plus, we're not talking about some young up & comer here...JYD is a veteran who's been around...he'll never be a star player, only a solid role player.
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/17/2004  1:07 PM
Don't you think Ben went from role player to starter because he became a better player. I had a buddy like that in high school. He would complain about the coach not giving him a shot. He would say if the coach would just give him a chance he would show him how good he was. I always said the same thing "don't you think if you didn't stink at basketball the coach would give you a chance"

JYD is in his 9th season and has 1/3 the ability of Wallace. In his once year as a starter he performed well with 9 pts and 9 rebounds. But numbers aren't everything. When JYD is on the court he is a solid, capable role player. When Ben Wallace is on the floor it doesn't matter if it is for 30 minutes or 5 minutes it is clear that he CHANGES THE GAME.
I just hope that people will like me
diderotn
USA
11/17/2004  1:15 PM
my point is this, there is no way we can get a big man this season. All that our team is missing is pepper as ingredient. the receipe is good, but it needs a little spice. JYD can be the pepper. He can motivate guys like Marburry, Crawf, Kurt, and perhaps TT to stay in the flow of the game. Can't you all see, our players sleep walked in every game that we've lost this season. The game of basketball is a game of attitude, we don't have that in our lineup right now, but with JYD it would be a given. I am not saying play him at Center, Kurt can assume that role, but JYD needs to be on the court for 30+ minutes. I want him on there from start to finish, he can set the tone to what our team can be. If we are going to be an up and down, or hustling, or rebounding machine type of team, etc. That is what Ben does, he sets the tone. JYD would keep the crowd from falling asleep during game, because you never know when he will do something crazy. Rodman wasn't any better than JYD, NOW DO YOU THINK THAT RODMAN WAS BETTER THAN BEN WALLACE???
Posted by Bippity10:

Don't you think Ben went from role player to starter because he became a better player. I had a buddy like that in high school. He would complain about the coach not giving him a shot. He would say if the coach would just give him a chance he would show him how good he was. I always said the same thing "don't you think if you didn't stink at basketball the coach would give you a chance"

JYD is in his 9th season and has 1/3 the ability of Wallace. In his once year as a starter he performed well with 9 pts and 9 rebounds. But numbers aren't everything. When JYD is on the court he is a solid, capable role player. When Ben Wallace is on the floor it doesn't matter if it is for 30 minutes or 5 minutes it is clear that he CHANGES THE GAME.
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/17/2004  2:35 PM
I'm not disputing your way of thinking. Maybe it works, maybe he doesn't. But if you are giving 30 minutes to JYD who are you taking all those minutes away from?
I just hope that people will like me
In how many games does the slump excuse go away????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy