[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2022 Summer League
Author Thread
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
7/17/2022  5:03 PM
Ended on a sour note but the guys played well this summer. Thibs development into all of them was evident. I hope they rest up and get some more work in before the season. Their shots on the real team will come easier since teams will be loading up on the starters.
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/17/2022  5:12 PM
Clean wrote:Ended on a sour note but the guys played well this summer. Thibs development into all of them was evident. I hope they rest up and get some more work in before the season. Their shots on the real team will come easier since teams will be loading up on the starters.

Yeah, there are some positives to take away from SL. Grimes showed some improved creation skills. McBride eventually decided to take the paint. Sims showed some improved skills. I think one thing was highlighted is how small we are at the forward positions. Outside of Sims, there was noone in the frontcourt who could contest Watford or Walker. The best bet would've been to hasten the pace, but the Knicks didn't have the PGs for that.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
wargames
Member: #6053

7/17/2022  5:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2022  5:30 PM
I worry about the lack of a cohesive offense bleeding into the regular season, but that won’t change until they fire Thibs so… it’s just a give in at this point.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/17/2022  5:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2022  5:55 PM
wargames wrote:I worry about the lack of a cohesive offense bleeding into the regular season, but that won’t change until they fire Thibs so… it’s just a give in at this point.

Different coach, different roster. SL featured one rotation player, 2 third stringers, and 2 two way players that will likely be glued to the G League team.

Any concerns about the offense at the big league level has nothing to do with SL...unless you believe Grimes is going to be our #1 option.

blkexec
Member: #748
7/17/2022  5:55 PM
This offense needs a player like Donovan who can create his own offense. I was on the fence before this game, now I’m warming up to a record breaking trade. Time to trade these role players for an established nba star.

I also wanted to get rid of Randle, but now I’m thinking these 4 may be able to do something if the chemistry is there. I still believe the youths will grow into something special and still believe that. But this is NY. We waited long enough. 11 picks and several yoots. Now might be the best time to pull the trigger.

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

If these 4 can click, then you can find bench players and vets like melo to fill out the roster.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
7/17/2022  6:06 PM
blkexec wrote:This offense needs a player like Donovan who can create his own offense. I was on the fence before this game, now I’m warming up to a record breaking trade. Time to trade these role players for an established nba star.

I also wanted to get rid of Randle, but now I’m thinking these 4 may be able to do something if the chemistry is there. I still believe the youths will grow into something special and still believe that. But this is NY. We waited long enough. 11 picks and several yoots. Now might be the best time to pull the trigger.

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

If these 4 can click, then you can find bench players and vets like melo to fill out the roster.

How did this game make you shift gears? The only guy from trade rumors that played is Grimes.

If you can get DMitch for our 2021 Rookie Triumvirate - Grimes/Deuce/Sims - and picks, sure I'm all for it! I don't want to ship out Quick/Obi just because these summer leaguers had one bad game.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/17/2022  6:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2022  6:15 PM
Was looking forward to getting an authentic replica summer league ring. Which Clyde is probably looking at and saying "WTF?" after looking at his championship ring.

Cant pin it on Grimes. The D tightened up, less fouls. Doesnt make me want to give away the store for another undersized 2.

wargames
Member: #6053

7/17/2022  6:29 PM
blkexec wrote:This offense needs a player like Donovan who can create his own offense. I was on the fence before this game, now I’m warming up to a record breaking trade. Time to trade these role players for an established nba star.

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

The offense needs to be a modern functional offense. The plan now is “talent > offensive schemes” but eventually it’s going to get the point they fire Thibs and hopefully replace him with someone who can run an offense.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
blkexec
Member: #748
7/17/2022  6:39 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

How did this game make you shift gears? The only guy from trade rumors that played is Grimes.

If you can get DMitch for our 2021 Rookie Triumvirate - Grimes/Deuce/Sims - and picks, sure I'm all for it! I don't want to ship out Quick/Obi just because these summer leaguers had one bad game.

I was on the fence from the very beginning of the trade rumors, going back and forth. I know we need someone like Donovan I just wasn’t in favor of the overhaul it took to get him. And I’m with u on IQ and Obi, I rather keep them and give Utah more of those protected picks. I still like grimes deuce n sims. But this games just reminded me how far away these guys are from being an nba starter. I still like grimes starting in a bullock role. And still like deuce off the bench. Love sims. But if I take my knick fan hat off, the skill set in these guys are replaceable. Donovan is not so easy to be replaced. And if Ainge wants all the yoots and picks, it still gives us a solid 4 in that starting lineup. But they also want IQ and Obi. Plus 6 picks. That’s hard to swallow. But again, CP the franchise reminds me all the time, GOTTA PAY TO PLAY. Listening to his show everyday warmed me up to this idea of over paying for Dmitch. Then watching them today (even though it was an off night for most) reminds me that these guys grow on trees. Every summmer league roster has similar skill set players. I was worried about our bench but not anymore. Plenty of roll players to pick from in the gleague if necessary.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/17/2022  7:37 PM
blkexec wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

I was on the fence from the very beginning of the trade rumors, going back and forth. I know we need someone like Donovan I just wasn’t in favor of the overhaul it took to get him. And I’m with u on IQ and Obi, I rather keep them and give Utah more of those protected picks. I still like grimes deuce n sims. But this games just reminded me how far away these guys are from being an nba starter. I still like grimes starting in a bullock role. And still like deuce off the bench. Love sims. But if I take my knick fan hat off, the skill set in these guys are replaceable. Donovan is not so easy to be replaced. And if Ainge wants all the yoots and picks, it still gives us a solid 4 in that starting lineup. But they also want IQ and Obi. Plus 6 picks. That’s hard to swallow. But again, CP the franchise reminds me all the time, GOTTA PAY TO PLAY. Listening to his show everyday warmed me up to this idea of over paying for Dmitch. Then watching them today (even though it was an off night for most) reminds me that these guys grow on trees. Every summmer league roster has similar skill set players. I was worried about our bench but not anymore. Plenty of roll players to pick from in the gleague if necessary.

At some point, an NBA team will trade 6 picks but I hope the Knicks are not that team. Offer Fournier or Rose, Grimes or Toppin, Reddish or IQ, and four 1st round picks (one of which is either that Washington or Detroit protected pick). I would stick to that. I doubt Utah gets a better offer.

Trust the Process
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

7/19/2022  5:17 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:Grimes is tired.

Yep, people forget that high performance is not only about skill, but also about physical endurance. And everyone's mileage varies. I would say endurance defines 70% of the difference between what makes a starter and what makes a bench player. And a superstar vs a star.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/19/2022  9:18 AM
wargames wrote:

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

The offense needs to be a modern functional offense. The plan now is “talent > offensive schemes” but eventually it’s going to get the point they fire Thibs and hopefully replace him with someone who can run an offense.

you should go look at Min's offense before Thibs got there and after. Thibs will run a better offense when he's got better players running it. So far you have watched Elfrid Payton, Derrick Rose, Julius Randle, Alex Burks and IQ run his offense. Maybe a sprinkle of DSjr, Frank Ntilikina and Austin Rivers... Offense looked really good when ONE of those guys ran it. Not so much with the others. See how that works?

Have you been a Knick fan for a really long time? How did Riley's "showtime" look when he brought it to Ewing and MSG?

Thibs is COY in year 1 and and your dying to get rid of him. Folks be funny. ITs not global thermal nuclear war... much closer to tic tac doh here

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
7/22/2022  7:34 PM
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:

Brunson
RJ
Randle
Donovan

you should go look at Min's offense before Thibs got there and after. Thibs will run a better offense when he's got better players running it. So far you have watched Elfrid Payton, Derrick Rose, Julius Randle, Alex Burks and IQ run his offense. Maybe a sprinkle of DSjr, Frank Ntilikina and Austin Rivers... Offense looked really good when ONE of those guys ran it. Not so much with the others. See how that works?

Have you been a Knick fan for a really long time? How did Riley's "showtime" look when he brought it to Ewing and MSG?

Thibs is COY in year 1 and and your dying to get rid of him. Folks be funny. ITs not global thermal nuclear war... much closer to tic tac doh here

Thibs is going to love running his O through Brunson. It's going to be nice regardless. Thing to watch would be assists to cutters like Obi and RJ. Our staple will be the PnR game to open lanes into the area where Brunson can do damage, like Rose is so adept at. But in the starting lineup. We are all in for a treat I think. I am just really curious as to how we are going to beat the zone. Guys cutting always helps as does 3 point shooting

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
2022 Summer League

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy