[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pitino's boys...........
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/16/2004  1:01 PM

what is it about those Pitino Kentucky players like Mcarty, Nazr, Mercer, Mash, Delk, and walker.

Worlds of talent, but kinda half wits and incomplete players.

Why do you think these guys all kinda slid in one way or another?

AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/16/2004  1:40 PM
it's just how it goes.

look at jim boeheim. a plethora of star college players but very few translated into star nba players. why? who knows.

and for all the games that duke wins, how many of them are stars. grant hill, and recently brand and maggette...but before?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/16/2004  2:19 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

it's just how it goes.

look at jim boeheim. a plethora of star college players but very few translated into star nba players. why? who knows.

and for all the games that duke wins, how many of them are stars. grant hill, and recently brand and maggette...but before?

CBB/NBA two different monsters. I think you have to take every imaginable look at a player to even determine if he is NBA material. Laetner was a good NBA player when he got in, but it wasnt long-lived. Bobby Hurley was a little small once he got to the NBA--if you are a little small--you better be ultra quick. His accident also frigged him. I think when you get a player like Grant Hill, who has the elite athletiscm, the size and skills and a true position---you have to feel pretty confident he'll be a good nBA player. Athletiscm and size are two big time factors for the NBA. As slow as Larry Bird was, he had great size[6-10] and with that size he had unusual skills. for those who never saw Bird, think of Nowitski, a little less athletic, who had PG skills like a NY streetballer
RIP Crushalot😞
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/16/2004  3:01 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by djsunyc:

it's just how it goes.

CBB/NBA two different monsters. I think you have to take every imaginable look at a player to even determine if he is NBA material. Laetner was a good NBA player when he got in, but it wasnt long-lived. Bobby Hurley was a little small once he got to the NBA--if you are a little small--you better be ultra quick. His accident also frigged him. I think when you get a player like Grant Hill, who has the elite athletiscm, the size and skills and a true position---you have to feel pretty confident he'll be a good nBA player. Athletiscm and size are two big time factors for the NBA. As slow as Larry Bird was, he had great size[6-10] and with that size he had unusual skills. for those who never saw Bird, think of Nowitski, a little less athletic, who had PG skills like a NY streetballer

Good description of Bird. I'd add he also had the rebounding and toughness of any All-Star PF.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/16/2004  3:03 PM
And the ****iness, self-confidence and intimidating trash-talk of MJ.
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
11/16/2004  5:12 PM
You diminish Bird by comparing him to Dirk. Analysis of skills is fine. But Bird was Derek Jeter/MJ-like competitive. Found a way to win, period. Also, Bird rebounded and passed better than Dirk, and probably played better D when it counted.

I hated Bird. He killed the Knicks in the years I was most rabid fan. Also think it's wrong to downplay his athleticism, which a lot of people do. Athleticism is more than running fast and jumping high. Bird was incredibly well coordinated, had great timing, and was very strong.
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
11/17/2004  4:57 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

[quote

Good post. While I agree that CBB and NBA are different animals, I think it's legitimate to add that Pitino's system doesn't do a lot to prepare a player for an NBA career.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/17/2004  6:36 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by djsunyc:

it's just how it goes.

I think the accident is what did Hurley in. All the NBA players who played with him in the Olympics thought he would be an elite NBA PG.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/18/2004  11:25 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by djsunyc:

it's just how it goes.

I think the accident is what did Hurley in. All the NBA players who played with him in the Olympics thought he would be an elite NBA PG.

Hurley was starting to come around before he got ditched. Two Rings in 3 final four trips, greatest PG in the modern era. Not the best player, but he most acomplished.

Bobby was an animal! Never saw anybody witht that kind of determination. It was sick to wathch him play wall to wall, balls to the wall for 40 full minutes game after game.

No way this kid would have not been great. He was wired for it.
Pitino's boys...........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy