Internship with Knicks?
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/15/2004  9:44 PM
anyone want to be gofer-boy for Isiah?

with thanks to an observant college guy over at WCC. Thanks J.

check this out:

Internship - Basketball Operations - New York Knicks

The Basketball Operations department of the New York Knickerbockers is searching for two interns who have the ability to combine their knowledge of basketball with creative, outside-the-box thinking. In order to qualify, you must be eligible to receive academic credit and preferably be a junior or senior in college or a graduate student. The internship is unpaid, however, students receive a $25/day stipend to offset travel and meal expenses.

The intern will work closely with the basketball operations department in a variety of areas pertaining to the management of a professional sports franchise. From player personnel to community relations, this position will enable the individual to gain valuable knowledge in all facets of our business and participate in a “team” working environment.

We strongly feel that the experience in this professional environment will be most beneficial to the student and the New York Knicks.

Our standard work day is 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and the individual is expected to work these hours Monday – Friday. The interns are also expected to work until tip-off on game nights. For weekend games, the interns are expected to work from four hours before the game until tip-off.

Duties:

1) Research and update all player personnel files for pro, college, European, and high school prospects in the Knickerbockers Team Scouting Website. 2) Statistical analysis and evaluation of draft prospects in preparation for the 2005 Draft. 3) Assist in the development of new ideas for statistical and video analysis. 4) Think analytically and creatively in both proposing and carrying out these ideas. 5) Organize weekly mailouts to over 300 college coaches. 6) Internet research for information on draft prospects. 7) Provide administrative support to the basketball operations department including telephone relief, faxing, and filing. 8) On game nights, responsible for assisting in the distribution of tickets and communicating with the visiting team. 9) Video tape editing and analysis of NBA draft prospects’ strengths and weaknesses 10) Assist in other Pre-Draft Preparation as needed. 11) As needed, assist the Community Relations Department with outside events. 12) As time allows, have the opportunity to learn about the scouting process and attend a game with one of the team’s scouts.

Qualifications:

1) Some background in basketball preferred (ex. Playing, Coaching, Team Manager, etc.) but not mandatory. A solid understanding of the game is more important. 2) Upperclassmen (preferably entering senior year) or Graduate Student. 3) Passion for basketball! 4) Ability to work on projects independently. 5) Must be analytical and capable of outside-the-box thinking. 6) Should be hard-working and motivated. 7) Should have a familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. 8) Knowledge of statistics and statistics software (not mandatory) 9) Be available full time, from 9:00am – 6:00pm, and will work up until tip-off on all game days. For weekend games, interns will work from four hours prior till game time until tip-off. 10) Must be enrolleged in college and able to receive academic credit for participating in the internship.

The internship will provide an environment in which the students’ ideas are not just encouraged, but expected.

Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. Are you a junior or senior in college or a graduate student?

2. Will you be able to receive academic credit for the internship?

3. Will you be available to work full-time hours?

4. Do you have extensive knowledge pertaining to basketball?

Closing Date: 2004-12-31

http://nbateamjobs.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/apply.cfm?jobid=4664&aid=40&supcat=174&subcat=1079

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/15/2004  9:50 PM
5. Are you able to drink large quantities of Kool-aid?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/15/2004  9:57 PM
When are you suppose to go to school? 9-6pm, then till game time?

and no seat? Game time, go home? or go to class?

$25 dollars a day?

I say we all chip in and get Bonnie to be our mole! We all contribute a $1 a day, it could add up.
martin
USA
11/15/2004  10:09 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

5. Are you able to drink large quantities of Kool-aid?

LOL
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
11/15/2004  10:18 PM
that's awesome! I can see this being made into a reality tv show, but I won't bother you all with the details... man, 25 a day? I thought the dolans had thick wallets...
http://allknicks.com
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
11/16/2004  3:16 AM
I'd love to but I go to school at Boston College. Afraid I can't make the daily commute on only $25.
#Knickstaps
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
11/16/2004  3:43 AM
crap
1) Research and update all player personnel files for pro, college, European, and high school prospects in the Knickerbockers Team Scouting Website. 2) Statistical analysis and evaluation of draft prospects in preparation for the 2005 Draft.

Would love to look at that website
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/16/2004  5:14 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

crap
1) Research and update all player personnel files for pro, college, European, and high school prospects in the Knickerbockers Team Scouting Website. 2) Statistical analysis and evaluation of draft prospects in preparation for the 2005 Draft.

Would love to look at that website

Briggs??
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
11/16/2004  2:57 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I'd love to but I go to school at Boston College. Afraid I can't make the daily commute on only $25.

I might join you next year, BC is one of the schools I'm applying too
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
11/16/2004  3:33 PM
Vintage New York Knicks. This closely resembles being a season ticket holder.

1. Individuals with pay 110 dollars for each seat, and not be rewarded with Club Service.

2. Tickets will be raised by 10 percent every year even when the team finishes below .500, so as long as they get embarrassed in 4 games of the playoffs

3. Hardworking fans will have to stomach the fact they pay to watch a bunch of overpriced b itches, pretend to play defense and care about the fans who pay their salaries.

3. Beer prices will be raised every year, and in a customer friendly attempt new beer mugs will be charged an additional 25 cents. Fans will be rewarded with one pretzel

4. Announcers will be fired for refusing to lie to fans that everything is just dandy, as owner who pays TT 13 million a year explain it was for financial reasons.

5. Paris Hilton will be given free tickets, even though she is worth 100 million dollars...

They have to be kidding me with that add. Its a great job, but they expect you to work game nights, that 9-8, and on weekends, for $25 dollars, somebody call the labor department.
martin
USA
11/16/2004  3:39 PM
Posted by MS:

5. Paris Hilton will be given free tickets, even though she is worth 100 million dollars...

that's the part that kills me. THere are a million die hard fans who have NEVER seen a game at the Garden, and this chick gets a free ride. I bet she doesn't even know who is on the team.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/16/2004  3:59 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by MS:

that's the part that kills me. THere are a million die hard fans who have NEVER seen a game at the Garden, and this chick gets a free ride. I bet she doesn't even know who is on the team.

Oh I bet she knows!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/16/2004  4:00 PM
MS.. thats pretty much what it takes to break into the NBA. I know a pair of people that worked with Stern at the middle level and said he is as bad as it gets. Total sweatshops
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Internship with Knicks?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy