KVH 26pts 15rbs last night TT all season 41pts 13rbs, Anderson signs with HEAT
Author Thread
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/15/2004  6:10 PM
Posted by NYKDUNK:

It's sickening that anyone would prefer TT over KVH after what has transpired. This "clutch" play that TT brings really is overrated to me. If you don't perform in the first half, then the chances are you won't even get to show how good a "clutch" player you are!

No, actually I'd say what's sickening is that the trade went down about 9 months ago and this conversation is still going on.
Yes, I would prefer TT over KVH, the Milwaukee game afirmed that for me last season. If you honestly think this slump (or KVH's excellent play) is gonna go on forever, you're nuts.
If this arguement is going to continue, please, atleast let me start something when the roles are reversed.
AUTOADVERT
nykdunk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #570
USA
11/15/2004  6:25 PM
I have no doubt that TT will eventually break out of his slump, but that isn't what's really bothering me, or many TT bashers. He can score all he wants, but unless he rebounds, plays defense, and plays with some genuine passion, it won't help us win games. That lack of passion he plays with has been present his entire career and I don't see that changing. KVH might lack at heart at times, but when he was here, that was never a problem. I've moved on personally, but that doesn't change the fact that we got the short end of this deal.

[Edited by - nykdunk on 11/15/2004 18:27:07]
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
11/15/2004  6:41 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

TT has more potential to be a better player than KVH because he can take over a game in the 4th quarter. He just needs to focus, someone needs to wake him up. It's not like KVH was going to lead us to a championship.
[Edited by - gunsnewing on 11/15/2004 12:36:33]

maybe, but he wont be a better player. if he hasnt woken up yet, with isiah in charge and being in his contract year then he never will.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/15/2004  6:46 PM
OK, time for me to weigh in on this TT v KVH thing. I like it.

I liked KVH as a player. Just did, don’t know why. Maybe it was the socks or the style of his game – old school and all – but I did like what I saw. Infuriating sometimes, but likeable more often than not. In the same vein, I don’t like TT’s game. Every once in a while you see flashes, but most of the time – and I don’t know if it’s body language or what – he doesn’t go all out. But here is the rub: I liked the trade, and if I were in Isiah’s shoes, I would do the trade over and over and over again.

KVH has reached his potential. The ceiling is set and you know what to expect. He is a very skilled player and a very good 3rd option on a title contender. Not a second option, a third option; and the thing is, he needs the touches like the first option on offense. KVH is so-so on D, but he does rebound the ball well for a SF. TT also needs to get going on offense early or he is done. He does not like contact and is more of a perimeter player than a post player, so he does not draw the fouls. Zero D. Zero basketball IQ. LOTs of potential.

Let’s face it, Doleac was going to leave the Knicks after the end of last season for better pastures, plus his pick and roll role was a duplicate of Kurts, so it was on overload (and you don’t really want to take shots away from Kurt just to work in another player). Matched with a weak-side defender, Doleac was a perfect fit, just not with the Knicks.

So, in my mind KVH for TT is an even swap, with the kicker that TT may have had potential to break out of his shell in a new environment, and by this I mean a new team and consistently playing the SF position. Add in the potential of Nazr – a relative unknown – and you have a trade that has to be done. It’s an upgrade in talent plain and simple. Isiah had to do the trade.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/15/2004  7:32 PM
Posted by bernard:

Neither TT nor KVH is worth this much conversation.
exactly
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/15/2004  11:16 PM
i did like how the team was playing just before they made the trade though...i think it's fair to say that Van Horn & Marbury were clicking pretty well together & looked alot more fluid than Marbury & TT have ever been able to become up to this point...Nazr is a better player than Doleac imo, so the trade sort of evens out, but i still think Van Horn is a better player than TT, even w/o the slump he's in now...if TT ever lives up to his potential, the trade would be hugely in the Knicks' favor, but he obviously hasn't so far...whether he will or not remains to be seen, but i doubt he'll ever become much better than the peak he's reached so far in his NBA career...if Nazr can help us land a legitimate bigman someday, then the trade would have been well worth it in my eyes.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
11/15/2004  11:31 PM
as it stands right now, the kvh/tt/nazr trade may also be known as the make or break trade. we always knew tt for kvh straight up was suspect. the nazr element gets zeke gets out of the dog house.....for now
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/16/2004  10:01 AM
This topic is still alive, in part, because people requested a little time before judging this trade. Apparently some have reasonably decided that this trade was a bust because TT and Nazr haven't lived up to the "potential" and "key of the deal" labels. Others are still waiting to see what Nazr brings back in return since he has little value here as an offensively and defensively challenged big man. I guess you could put off judgement forever if Nazr doesn't bring enough in return, you can keep exrrapolating it to see if whatever we get for him turns into something somewhere down the line.

As for me, I thought this trade was garbage from the beginning and I still think it's garbage. TT has done nothing but embarrass himself and the Knicks organization. Nazr just keeps proving that he's nothing but a mediocre backup center who will never figure out what defense is.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/16/2004  12:29 PM

If we still have Miss Gay-z, we still have that potential thing.

The "P" word is huge, makes millions and gives hope. KVH is a better player, but Gay-z still the great slight dope.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/16/2004  1:10 PM
Keith just doesnt play winning basketball. He's just cant perform under any presure. So far TT has been awfull this year, but he was very good down the stretch last year and his #'s reflect that.

Its hard to say how at trade with no impact can be called garbage, but then again Isiah did make it.

Since probably neither TT or KVH will be taking their respective teams to the next level its who is more valuable as an expiring contract.

At this point I dont really care. I'm pretty convinced we have our SF of the future right here already, he just needs some time. Let TT stay and let his money come off the books to make the Laydenized payroll start coming into a manageable area.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
11/16/2004  2:01 PM
Actually, the payroll has been Isianized, since he took over he added a lot more salary in long term deals. Marbury, Hardaway, Crawford, JYD, Moochie, Amechi
fishmike
USA
11/16/2004  2:42 PM
not really... Crawford is a reasonable deal. Heck, he's getting paid less then Eisley OR Shandon and he's 3 times the player. Mostly ISiah traded Layden's bad contracts for other bad contracts. The other thing is Isiah's bad contracts are the only way to improve the team. He didnt take JYD and Penny to because those were the guys he wanted to build around. He took on that payroll because those players had Marbury and Crawford attached to them.

Layden actually signed Eisley, Anderson, Houston, Sprewell and Spoon because those were the guys he wanted.

Its hard to knock Isiah for taking on payroll, unless you think he should have just rebuilt with draft picks, which isnt ridiculous.
MS
11/16/2004  3:23 PM
Actually he traded his expiring contracts...

And the Crawford deal wasn't great considering no one wanted him, other than the Knicks. Even though Atlanta needed a pg, charlotte needed one, and Golden State could have signed him instead of Fisher. But

SportsGuy
5. Isiah Thomas buying out Shandon Anderson for $20 million so he could sign Eddie Robinson, who had just been bought out by the Bulls for $10.5 million. Remember when Eddie's agent told us, "Eddie Robinson is about one word: winning and losing"? I think Isiah is about two words: Losing. By the way, Eddie failed his physical.
fishmike
USA
11/16/2004  3:58 PM
let me get this straight... Isiah bought out Shandon JUST so he could sign Eddie? It had nothing to do with the fact that he was useless and a distraction and had no future on this team what so ever. If we sign Haislip than *thats* why we bought out Shandon then right?

Where Eisley and Spoon expiring contracts?

We certainly could have just let Ward, McDyess expire, and build through the draft. With Isiah's eye for talent I would certainly be more willing than I would have been with someone else, but your still 3 years from cap space thanks to Layden signing Houston and Shandon to those deals. Even with players like Houston, KVH and Spoon your still not bad enough to draft a Lebron or Okafor.

But if thats your preference its your choice. I'm not even saying its bad or cant work, just one I dont agree with.
MS
11/16/2004  4:04 PM
Well no one was going to take Eisley, But spoon deal is expiring, and Isiah could have used it to get something in return or just let go, but know he has Moochie he doesn't serve a purpose
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/16/2004  4:08 PM
only expiring deals were ward and dice. everybody else was under contract through this season at least.
fishmike
USA
11/16/2004  4:09 PM
Spoon isnt expiring... he's due over $6mm next year. His deal is as long as Eisley, TT and Penny.
KVH 26pts 15rbs last night TT all season 41pts 13rbs, Anderson signs with HEAT

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy