[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Young guys all they do is dunk.........
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/13/2004  2:54 PM
I had a arguement with my Dads friend yesterday about the infatuation with players that can dubk but can't play. He's old school....so he always has something to say about something. He doesn't think Ariza is that good.

One thing that proves that Ariza is for real is the way he passes.

When JYD was going wild in the 3rd quarter of the Clippers game....Ariza had the ball on the wing posting up. He spotted JYD running from the other side under the basket and passed the ball to the spot rather than to JYD when he got there......That is just good basketball. That is an experienced ball player.

I agree with his argument but he's so angry at the way the game is played now he's jaded.

He thinks Kevin McKale was the best power fwd to play the game. He said McKale would play 48 minutes and won't jump but he's have 20 plus pts and 10 rebs....... The days of teaching the game to guys that don't have the explosive jumping ability is over.

All of this is true......cuz the second a player comes around like McKale he will be the fad of the moment. Just like "the Next Jordan", "the next KG", "the next Shaq", and "the Next Dirk"........it's like a witch hunt.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
11/13/2004  3:07 PM
Yea I've had the same argument with some of my friends who thought Ariza sucks. Like you did, I pointed out that Ariza has a knack for finding the open man and does a lot of things well other than dunking (like rebounding, getting steals, etc). Now they are starting to see the light
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
11/13/2004  4:00 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

I had a arguement with my Dads friend yesterday about the infatuation with players that can dubk but can't play. He's old school....so he always has something to say about something. He doesn't think Ariza is that good.

When JYD was going wild in the 3rd quarter of the Clippers game....Ariza had the ball on the wing posting up. He spotted JYD running from the other side under the basket and passed the ball to the spot rather than to JYD when he got there......That is just good basketball. That is an experienced ball player.

I agree with his argument but he's so angry at the way the game is played now he's jaded.

He thinks Kevin McKale was the best power fwd to play the game. He said McKale would play 48 minutes and won't jump but he's have 20 plus pts and 10 rebs....... The days of teaching the game to guys that don't have the explosive jumping ability is over.

All of this is true......cuz the second a player comes around like McKale he will be the fad of the moment. Just like "the Next Jordan", "the next KG", "the next Shaq", and "the Next Dirk"........it's like a witch hunt.

Well,your Dad was right about how good Mchale was.He could pivot in the low post like noone I had ever seen before and since including Tim Duncan.He was also good on the defensive end but that damned pivot move of his was so effective it was scary.I havent seen Ariza play yet(not until Jan.) so I cant comment on that.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/13/2004  4:26 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by EnySpree:

Well,your Dad was right about how good Mchale was.He could pivot in the low post like noone I had ever seen before and since including Tim Duncan.He was also good on the defensive end but that damned pivot move of his was so effective it was scary.I havent seen Ariza play yet(not until Jan.) so I cant comment on that.
Why won't you be able to watch Ariza until Jan? You don't have access to MSG? That stinks.
I don't get MSG where I am, but I go to a bar here that has a dish and watch most of the games there.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 11/13/2004 16:26:54]
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
11/13/2004  4:30 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by EnySpree:

As far as the pivot moves go I'm riding with Olajuwan on that one.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
11/13/2004  4:44 PM
showing early signs of "nice play" may be the reason why they dont label you scrub. this is still a 82 game season, and this is ny, higher standards is the norm.......bring it on!
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Kwazimodal
11/13/2004  5:01 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by EnySpree:

As far as the pivot moves go I'm riding with Olajuwan on that one.

Hakeem had a nice pivot move but most of the time it was the same one,pivot,fake the pass,reverse,shoot.Mchale had more in his bag of tricks.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
11/14/2004  7:02 PM
the dream would was smooth as silk, but mchale would have you jumping around like a jackrabbit. he was what, 6'11 7'0? plus those arms made him seem like 7'3. he'd fake you out, then rub right off you for the scoop shot.
yeah, frankenstein was a killa in the post.
DaveinMD
Member: #602
11/14/2004  10:26 PM
Your dad is right. The game really lacks the quality it had in the 80s. The Knicks of that era with Cartwright, Bernard King, Truck Robinson and Ray Williams would be title contenders in today's league. No one can shoot the ball anymore and isolation and lack of passing kills the game.
Kwazimodal
11/14/2004  10:35 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by EnySpree:

Why won't you be able to watch Ariza until Jan? You don't have access to MSG? That stinks.
I don't get MSG where I am, but I go to a bar here that has a dish and watch most of the games there.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 11/13/2004 16:26:54]

I dont get MSG and Im going out of town next month until mid to late january so Im holding off on the league pass until then.I cant wait to see Crawford and Ariza,especially Ariza,our own draft pick and someone who can play above the rim! Ill try to catch some games in a sports bar if I can.
Young guys all they do is dunk.........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy