[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sweetney vs Some Other PFs
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/13/2004  8:42 AM
Just wondering, who would you guys prefer to have on our team for the long-term in each of these comparisons

Sweetney vs. Chris Bosh
Sweetney vs. Chris Wilcox
Sweetney vs. Nene
Sweetney vs. Udonis Haslem
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/13/2004  8:44 AM
Wilcox impressed me last night, but the only name out of that list I would take over Sweetney is Bosh. I still have a strong feeling Sweetney will be a monster in this league.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
11/13/2004  8:52 AM
Sweetney is not in the same league as Bosh or Wilcox. Nene has been an odd disappointment, honestly I would still trade Sweetney for Nene at the drop of a hat. I think Nene needs a change of scenery. Sweets is much better than Haslem though.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/13/2004  9:50 AM
thats about right, hes below wilcox and bosh. on top of that those guys can play 5 for extended periods of time if needed.

Sweetney is a skilled blue collar worker. i will have to wonder if he will be a career 14 pt 8 reb 30 minute player BUT absolutely nothing wrong with that. we need atleast two if not three more players in the next two years that can play on the post. atleast 1 7-0 and two athletic guys who can play either 4-5. we need to phase out KT Vin Baker and Nazr over the next two years.
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/13/2004  10:14 AM
I like sweetney because he is efficient, he is a wide body down low, plays better Defense than most people think and he is skilled. Nene, I like but he is a poor rebounder for his size, at lest if anything for a guy like nene that should be a given right now in his career.. Wilcox, has no skills beside dunking, he is not a great rebounder, or defender, and has odd footwork, he is a explosive jumper and IMO that is it... Haslem is a good worker but not in the class of these guys and Bosh will be a real good player, I think bosh is more of a finess player and these guys can bruise...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/13/2004  10:27 AM
Posted by tkf:

I like sweetney because he is efficient, he is a wide body down low, plays better Defense than most people think and he is skilled. Nene, I like but he is a poor rebounder for his size, at lest if anything for a guy like nene that should be a given right now in his career.. Wilcox, has no skills beside dunking, he is not a great rebounder, or defender, and has odd footwork, he is a explosive jumper and IMO that is it... Haslem is a good worker but not in the class of these guys and Bosh will be a real good player, I think bosh is more of a finess player and these guys can bruise...

I think your analysis is great. I love Sweets and would keep him. I acknowledge that Bosh is a better player and is a special talent but i want the bruising relentless low-post presence of Sweets, I think he's going to continually improve and I want to keep our Core of Four together.
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
11/13/2004  10:49 AM
Yeah Wilcox and Bosh are currently at a higher level than Sweetney, but there are some concerns with both players if they were on your team. Wilcox needs to show consistency (like, average these numbers 40 games into the season too), and Bosh still hasn't bulked up to the point the Raptors would him to at all. Nene is underachieving a lot and in retrospect I don't think it hurt is TOO much to trade him away... He's still young and has a chance to turn it around, but Kmart will be a big obstacle to his development. Haslem is sort of like sweetney in that they are both hard workers, but he isn't anything too special.
http://allknicks.com
BRIGGS
11/13/2004  11:16 AM
Posted by tkf:

well, shaq had very little other skills his first 7-8 years in the league except dunking. Wilcox has more physical talent than Sweetney and as far as effeciency, Wilocx has a greater ability to get a better shot, much less tO proned, a better looking jump shot/foul shot and can rebound the ball at the same level as mike. remember he is down there playing with elton brand who swarsm rebounds+they have maggette who is also a big time rebounder.

Bosh is different from both because he s a legit 7 footer and 2 years younger. hes a much better ball-handler-passer type with much longer limbs. hes got the ability to be a 22-23 points 12 rebound 4-5 assit guy for a long time.
If it was my choice i would take wilcox bosh second, sweetney third--but it would be a tight call between wilocox and bosh. I like the power wilcox shows

by the way, how about shawn livingston--i think when all is said and done livngston and howard will be the two top guys in the draft this year+ sure-fire NBA superstars
RIP Crushalot😞
bernard
Member: #475
11/13/2004  11:32 AM
Not as high on Wilcox as Briggs. I'd take Sweet over him, but still behind Bosh. I'll use a football cliche for why I put Sweet ahead of a guy who's got way better athelticism and better size. Sweet has a motor that won't quit. Don't think you can say the same for Wilcox, who reminds me a little of a Timmy Thomas at power forward. Looks great at times, but can't be counted on to play hard every play. And even though Sweet picks up some turnovers, he also gets a lot of assists for a big man. He likes to share the ball. And a lot of those turnovers seem to be for traveling before he makes his move. He'll figure out how NBA officials call that and correct the move.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/13/2004  12:30 PM
If Sweetney is focused on the rebound there is a good chance he will get it no matter who is there. I know the statistic guys on the sidelines were having a hard time trying to figure out whether to give Sweetney credit for rebounds, Blocks or steals......Sweetney was snatching everything that went up around his area.

A couple times guys were shooting over him and he just snatched it once it left their hands.....What do you call that? A steal? Block? Rebound since it's kind of a loose ball?

Sweetney is awesome and KT's ability to shoot the short range jumper and still rebound is a great combination to have.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
PhilinLA
Member: #696
11/13/2004  2:17 PM
Bosh and Wilcox are ahead of Sweets so far, but his development has been slowed by having Thomas in front of him, and not really getting enough run last year. Sweets has shown a great work ethic, and though not a high flyer like Wilcox, might end up being a better all around player in terms of production if not style.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Bonn1997
USA
11/13/2004  2:22 PM
Wilcox is one year ahead of Sweetney. Sweetney's probably playing better in his sophomore season right now than Wilcox did in his, although Sweetney is also getting more consistent playing time. Wilcox has more athleticism and like Briggs said, he can play the four or five.

Out of the five players I listed, I think I'd pick them in this order:

Wilcox
Bosh
Sweetney
Nene
Haslem
Bonn1997
USA
11/13/2004  2:25 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

thats about right, hes below wilcox and bosh. on top of that those guys can play 5 for extended periods of time if needed.

Sweetney is a skilled blue collar worker. i will have to wonder if he will be a career 14 pt 8 reb 30 minute player BUT absolutely nothing wrong with that. we need atleast two if not three more players in the next two years that can play on the post. atleast 1 7-0 and two athletic guys who can play either 4-5. we need to phase out KT Vin Baker and Nazr over the next two years.

If Sweetney gets enough playing time, I think he can be more than a 14 PPG player because he already has an outstanding ability to draw fouls. The thing I wonder about is whether he'll ever be quick enough to guard the quicker PFs. I don't have any concerns about his ability to become a good scorer or rebounder. I'm just not sure how his defense will develop.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 11/13/2004 14:26:12]
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
11/13/2004  2:42 PM
talk about inspiration, haslem gets the edge over all pfs mentioned in this thread. ppg = 12.2, reb = 8.2; ft = 90%, and fg = 60%.... outstanding! heat looking good in their division, c’mon, need I say more? . haslem is playing at home. haslem can learn inside game from most dominant one while trying to match wade’s energy level. and living small at 600k ?….....please define better bang for the buck.

sweetney will have a hard time getting minutes [24 minutes is lowest in this survey]
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
11/13/2004  2:50 PM
Posted by Bobby:

talk about inspiration, haslem gets the edge over all pfs mentioned in this thread. ppg = 12.2, reb = 8.2; ft = 90%, and fg = 60%.... outstanding! heat looking good in their division, c’mon, need I say more? . haslem is playing at home. haslem can learn inside game from most dominant one while trying to match wade’s energy level. and living small at 600k ?….....please define better bang for the buck.

sweetney will have a hard time getting minutes [24 minutes is lowest in this survey]

Haslem has the luxury of playing with Shaq who at times is not only double teamed, but triple teamed. Out of the players listed, I agree with everyone else that Haslem is rated last. My list would be Bosh first (by a slight margin, I really like Wilcox so it was a hard decision), Wilcox second, Sweets third, Haslem fourth.

Like Briggs said, I think Sweets will end up being a blue collar guy which is fine (something like 16 ppg and 10 rpg). Wilcox and Bosh on the other hand I can see averaging more than 20 ppg along with 10 rpg.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/13/2004  3:56 PM
I wonder what the opinion would be if Haslem , Nene or Wilcox played for the knicks and Sweets was out in LA playing for the Clippers. wOULD YOU GUYS STILL HAVE THE SAME OPINION OF SWEETS?
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
BRIGGS
11/13/2004  3:57 PM
hey one thing i can say is that its good to have mike sweetney. for the first time in a LONg time, we have 3 young players who could be considered high caliber assets and are priced reasonably in ariza craw and sweetney. and although craw had some kind of selfish stigma placed on him in chicago, he seems very mature as does the other two. thats one great thing about the team--we have no issues like that in-house--the team is more compelling and easier to root for.

Again there is NO doubt in my mind that we need to restock the entire frontline--my hope is we can grab 1-2 guys out of the draft and perhaps an mLE or S+T for a vet.

this next years draft will be UNBELIEVABLE in terms of high quality big men at the 4 who can also play 5. thats where i was going a bit when i thought w should consider trading sweetney for curry.

ill tell you from seeing him in person this year at practice[he came back at 6-10 1/2 240],Josh Boone from CT is going to be a VERY high lottery pick. I think he might just be better than Okafor because he hes longer+ plays different in a way but extremely effective D and yet he has that soft touch around the basket that Oak doesnt,+ also owns that expplosive athletsicm for dunking as well. If there is a cat that reminds me of rasheed wallace it's josh. I dont even mention him because we wont pick that high. I think its more like we end up with a channing frye-hakim warwick type a guy who has tremendous skill but will fall in the draft because of that tweener status.
RIP Crushalot😞
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/13/2004  4:02 PM
Briggs, you still don't think Warrick will be a top 5 pick in the upcoming college draft huh. I bet he will, tweaner you say long and athletic I say equals top 5.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Bonn1997
USA
11/13/2004  4:19 PM
Bosh was asked why he played a few games last summer in the summer league even though he's already good enough that he wouldn't have been expected to. He gave two reasons that I really liked: First, he said he wanted to get a chance to play for the new coaches and learn how to work with them and second he said he simply loves the game and missed playing. I like his attitude. He's mature for his age.
BRIGGS
11/13/2004  7:24 PM
Posted by playa2:

Briggs, you still don't think Warrick will be a top 5 pick in the upcoming college draft huh. I bet he will, tweaner you say long and athletic I say equals top 5.

No way. He would've already been gone in last years lottery if that was the case. Although he does have the 40 inch vertcial lift and very long arms, he only weighs 210. Hes going to have to play a pseudo 3-4 like an anthony mason--but he is a true specialty player with tremendous skills. Becuase he weighs 210 @ 6-8, he will face the same thing--he will not fit the prototype NBA body.

Like using Josh Boone for example--hakim might be a better player than josh in college, but nBA scouts will look at 6-10 1/2 7-5 wingspan and soft J and the ability to play 4-5. A step higher perhaps with chris Taft? Hes an athletic 6-10 260 who is pitbull mean with tremendous skills as well. hes the guy I see as number 1--either Rudy gay or Chris taft.
RIP Crushalot😞
Sweetney vs Some Other PFs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy