Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/25/2022  11:54 AM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:Cam Reddish is already requesting a traded. Seriously, is he injured again? Any explanation why he gets a DNP on the second game of a back to back

Both he and Thibs have been saying the right things about his playing time. I can't find the exact Thibs response to that very question last night (why Cam didn't play) but he mentions that he has a 9 man rotation and it's tough to even play 10 but that Cam will get his chance and just to be ready. Cam says he is working hard and will earn his minutes.

Last night would have been tough. Who are you taking away minutes from besides the obvious of Fournier and Kemba. Maybe Burks? Thibs has a lot of respect for his vets and he gives them a long leash before they fail and get subbed out of rotation.

RJ, IQ, Grimes all played well and had major minutes. Obi too.

What you are asking for is an 11 man rotation albeit in a back to back.

The minutes looked more normal in last nights game. No one played more the 34 minutes. I still would like to see Barrett and Randle closer to 30 minutes. I thought Cam could of had a little run with the 2nd unit. How Thibs mixes that in with Barret, Burks and Fournier playing a few minutes less wouldn’t be that hard. I kind of expected it after Cam played 6 min the night before and this being the 2nd of a btb

It's just not realistic though. Either last game or on season's average. RJ playing 32mpg. That's LOW quite frankly for a 21 year old kid who is deserving of time.

5 min of Cam time barely worth it for coach or player.

You are only hunting for 5 minutes of Cam time for fans.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
1/25/2022  12:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/25/2022  12:02 PM
martin wrote:This angle of last play is pretty good.

RJ doesn't really have a ton of room to dribble towards basket, his side is overloaded.

Randle has the entire side of the court empty on his strong hand without a good defender on him. Makes a slow decision.

I said this right after that play. Randle got exactly what he wanted. Left side open and weak defender. Last season Randle would've either got an and 1 or a charge. This year, he's over thinking and passive. That play summarizes Randles issue this season. He's trying to be something hes not. Just play bully ball and rely on the FO to add players around you. He's making his job too hard.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
1/25/2022  1:07 PM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:
martin wrote:
NYKMentality wrote:
martin wrote:But what more can you say about Grimes? Dude is gonna be a fantastic 3&D guy

His lateral quickness and hands are sooooo good.

He should be starting over Evan Fournier. It's not even a question anymore.

He is absolutely playing better than Fournier. At the same time I have no problem Grimes just getting more and more and more minutes as he keeps finishing games.

I'm not a Just Start a Player. Earn it.

What has Fournier earned?

Literally nothing, guys like him and Kemba are placeholders. This is about Grimes earning it.

Thibs has drawn a line in the sand with his young guys. Play D. Do the right things. Play hard. Don't make dumb mistakes. Execute well and then you get minutes. And then you get more minutes the better you play.

This is what building a culture is about.

Not just throwing players into positions they will fail and don't make sense and haven't been earned. Kev Knox dev schedule ala Fiz is over.

The Knicks are all in on development.

That's good - especially for the younger guys that need that hard line. At the same time I wish Thibs would hold Randle to a harder line for the areas he needs to improve on. Otherwise the culture the young players are aspiring to is already tainted if there is too much contrasting leash for the vets. The good players will just work hard and play regardless - but it could make the difference with some of the other players and we certainly don't need that. Grimes looks great!

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/25/2022  1:13 PM
martin wrote:The one thing that would be long term concerning to me is RJ’s FT shooting. Dude misses all over the place. And I’d guess that that inconsistency leads to general shooting inconsistencies elsewhere too

The ONLY smart comment on here on why we lost the game is anything that brings up the terrible foul shooting. Everything else is just plain whining about a personal shortsighted bias people have against our coach or specific player.

ANYONE that truly knows basketball, realizes you cannot win ANY games shooting 52% from the line??!!

We were down 15 and showed heart. The effort was there. Lost by two and missed 10 foul shots. Simple analysis. The jackals will suggest everything else to be changed.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/25/2022  1:46 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:The one thing that would be long term concerning to me is RJ’s FT shooting. Dude misses all over the place. And I’d guess that that inconsistency leads to general shooting inconsistencies elsewhere too

The ONLY smart comment on here on why we lost the game is anything that brings up the terrible foul shooting. Everything else is just plain whining about a personal shortsighted bias people have against our coach or specific player.

ANYONE that truly knows basketball, realizes you cannot win ANY games shooting 52% from the line??!!

We were down 15 and showed heart. The effort was there. Lost by two and missed 10 foul shots. Simple analysis. The jackals will suggest everything else to be changed.

Not that I need the validation (uh huh) but I have pointed this out for this game and others. We've lost a few agonizing games because of this. Could make all the difference for the season. Doesn't take a genius to see. But I suppose there is more pleasure in pointing out Randle sucks. Or Thibs, Kemba, Fournier...

Would be nice to be celebrating how the Knicks came back and hung in tough against a very good team on their home court. Instead it's another day of the jackal.

Sambakick
Member: #5646

1/25/2022  5:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/25/2022  5:12 PM
Missing free throws is a problem you can't remedy with an opinion. This forum is for people to voice their opinions on the team, otherwise Martin can remove the forums and just post the free throw stats.

Today i learned that having an opinion on the team its coach or its players = being a jackal.

Everything in moderation. Even moderation.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

1/25/2022  5:39 PM
Sambakick wrote:Missing free throws is a problem you can't remedy with an opinion. This forum is for people to voice their opinions on the team, otherwise Martin can remove the forums and just post the free throw stats.

Today i learned that having an opinion on the team its coach or its players = being a jackal.

Ah sophistry worthy of a certain ex-president. Obviously all opinions are welcome here, including ignorant, mean spirited, counter productive ones. But those people shouldn't cry when called out. It's just another opinion.

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/25/2022  5:41 PM
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:Cam Reddish is already requesting a traded. Seriously, is he injured again? Any explanation why he gets a DNP on the second game of a back to back

Both he and Thibs have been saying the right things about his playing time. I can't find the exact Thibs response to that very question last night (why Cam didn't play) but he mentions that he has a 9 man rotation and it's tough to even play 10 but that Cam will get his chance and just to be ready. Cam says he is working hard and will earn his minutes.

Last night would have been tough. Who are you taking away minutes from besides the obvious of Fournier and Kemba. Maybe Burks? Thibs has a lot of respect for his vets and he gives them a long leash before they fail and get subbed out of rotation.

The minutes looked more normal in last nights game. No one played more the 34 minutes. I still would like to see Barrett and Randle closer to 30 minutes. I thought Cam could of had a little run with the 2nd unit. How Thibs mixes that in with Barret, Burks and Fournier playing a few minutes less wouldn’t be that hard. I kind of expected it after Cam played 6 min the night before and this being the 2nd of a btb

It's just not realistic though. Either last game or on season's average. RJ playing 32mpg. That's LOW quite frankly for a 21 year old kid who is deserving of time.

No, I’m hunting for someone who might give us productive minutes. I mean how about we take Fournier.

-14 0 assists 33% FG 16% 3pt fg and he played 21 min.

Alec Burks

-3 0% FG 0% 3pt 1 asst 1 rebb18 minutes.

Randle

-22 35% FG 28% 3pt 4 TOV 66% FT 32 minutes

None of these guys had a productive night. Maybe they play less minutes?? It would be like an in game adjustment. It wouldn’t shock the world to reduce minutes of a player on a btb. I do however get what you are saying, I’m just not agreeing with that position.

martin
USA
1/25/2022  6:16 PM
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:
Rookie wrote:
martin wrote:

No, I’m hunting for someone who might give us productive minutes. I mean how about we take Fournier.

-14 0 assists 33% FG 16% 3pt fg and he played 21 min.

Alec Burks

-3 0% FG 0% 3pt 1 asst 1 rebb18 minutes.

Randle

-22 35% FG 28% 3pt 4 TOV 66% FT 32 minutes

None of these guys had a productive night. Maybe they play less minutes?? It would be like an in game adjustment. It wouldn’t shock the world to reduce minutes of a player on a btb. I do however get what you are saying, I’m just not agreeing with that position.

Everyone hates the treatment that Obi is getting. What you are suggesting is that Thibs extend that treatment to Fournier and Burks? Cut them off within about 10 minutes of play?

IDK. IMHO it's just not productive.

Thibs seems to have a system. He gives guys solid chances to prove themselves and some amount of time and games to proven themselves give or take. Rookies and young guys need to prove themselves through consistency more than the vets. First you do it in practice and then when someone else is utterly failing or injured, you will get your chance and you'd better do the right things.

Look at how IQ (last year) and Grimes this year earned minutes. Obi gets less minutes cause he self owns by making the wrong plays too many times (and this obviously doesn't mean that IQ or Grimes are mistake free). Obi happens to also play behind Randle. Thibs also has a line regarding defense, it's the biggest reason Obi gets pulled and IQ and Grimes get more minutes.

I think Burks survives bad games cause Thibs has asked a lot of him. Bench player, starter, back and forth, plays PG out of position. He trusts Alec and mostly Alec does his best. But goddammit he is awful at inbounding the ball.

There is also something to say in a positive way to giving guys solid rotational minutes without constantly looking over your shoulder. Pop does this all the time. You get guys knowing what their role is and how many minutes they can get going. It's helpful from a player standpoint.

Everyone repeats the mantra that Thibs was hired to win games. I get that. I think Thibs is all in on winning, just like EVERY OTHER COACH in the NBA. I think Thibs is also all in on the culture that the team has set and is actually doing things to develop the young guys.

Now does Thibs treat Randle and RJ and Kemba and Rose the same way he treats IQ, Grimes, McBride, Cam? No. It's the same way parents don't treat their 3 year old and 6 YO and teenager the same way when they are trying to manage them.

And last night the Knicks had a chance to win an away game. Why would anyone want to try Cam out under that situation? There is a good chance he doesn't know all the plays and sets and rotations and defensive sets and would **** **** up in a worse way.

I get the stats above but I don't know if they paint a full picture of what goes on in the game. For instance IQ was 1-10. But dammit he played GREAT D and had 6 assists, he deserved his minutes and was a big part of the comeback but statistically his FG% sucked but who cares.

That's it.

martin
USA
1/25/2022  6:27 PM
Oh, you know what is also true?

If RJ makes 8-10 from FT line no one cares Cam didn't get any minutes.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/25/2022  9:02 PM
Or what is additionally also true? RJ hits that hero ball three (again) and nobody cares about Randle's shortcomings or Thibs inability to develop yoots at the proper speed, or our FO inability to get us proper secondary help.

You like to complain, live with being called a complainer. Jackals yelp alot.

martin
USA
1/25/2022  11:23 PM
GameThread: Knicks start 3 game road trip from hell @ Cavs [7PM]

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy