[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks after Fortson
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
2/1/2002  9:29 AM
The nypost reports that the Knicks have shifted their focus from Erick Dampier and Marc Jackson to Danny Fortson. Fortson is putting up nearly 12 and 13 a game and would bring a lot of toughness and youth to the front court. The post speculates that the Knicks might be able to get Fortson without getting rid of one of the big three, possibly for Harrington and a lottery protected draft pick. I don't want to trade our pick, but for Fortson i would do it in a second. The Knicks will also look to try to get a third team involved. Camby and Fortson up front would be crazy so i hope this happens. Thoughts?

Link: http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/9694.htm
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
2/1/2002  9:57 AM
I like "big ass" Fortson but if it were up to me I wouldn't trade away anymore draft picks unless the pick was lottery-protected starting in the season 2008-2009 and beyond.

Whatever happened anyway to finding a center?
Knixkik
USA
2/1/2002  10:15 AM
At this point it's just too hard trying to find a decent center, but in my opinion, getting 13 rebounders a game to go with 12 points makes up for it. Fortson would work well with Camby and would make our front court tough so i think this is the best deal for our team right now.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/1/2002  10:21 AM
And Fortson is getting 12 and 13 a game playing along side Jamison and a Center. Not too shabby. If he were on a Knick lineup, he would get a lot more.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Knixkik
USA
2/1/2002  10:55 AM
From BskBALL.com

02/01-KNICKS AFTER FORTSON- The Post's Marc Berman reports that Knicks GM Scott Layden has been having extensive talks with the Warriors, last week the name being kicked around was Eric Dampier, now the name appears to be Danny Fortson with the Post suggesting that NY was angling for a 3 way deal. The Warriors apparently have a done deal on the table with Phoenix, provided Phoenix removes protections from the draft choice they are said to be offering along with former Knick John Wallace. The way the Warriors/Phoenix deal plays out is Phoenix gets Marc Jackson, GS gets Wallace and an unprotected pick, Phoenix is unwilling to unprotect the pick, which enters the Knicks, who may be offering their pick, and Othella Harrington and possibly Charlie Ward for a package coming from Golden State including Danny Fortson. Knicks sources commented yesterday that they were indeed looking at deals with Golden State, and Warriors sources yesterday repeated the same line they have been saying all week, that nothing was done...nothing was close to done, and they were still talking.

So it looks like a three-way deal between New York, Phoenix, and Golden State is a strong possibility. It sounds like Harrington and our pick to Phoenix, Wallace and Phoenix's pick to GS, and Fortson to the Knicks or something like that might be the scenario
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/1/2002  11:38 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

From BskBALL.com

02/01-KNICKS AFTER FORTSON- The Post's Marc Berman reports that Knicks GM Scott Layden has been having extensive talks with the Warriors, last week the name being kicked around was Eric Dampier, now the name appears to be Danny Fortson with the Post suggesting that NY was angling for a 3 way deal. The Warriors apparently have a done deal on the table with Phoenix, provided Phoenix removes protections from the draft choice they are said to be offering along with former Knick John Wallace. The way the Warriors/Phoenix deal plays out is Phoenix gets Marc Jackson, GS gets Wallace and an unprotected pick, Phoenix is unwilling to unprotect the pick, which enters the Knicks, who may be offering their pick, and Othella Harrington and possibly Charlie Ward for a package coming from Golden State including Danny Fortson. Knicks sources commented yesterday that they were indeed looking at deals with Golden State, and Warriors sources yesterday repeated the same line they have been saying all week, that nothing was done...nothing was close to done, and they were still talking.

So it looks like a three-way deal between New York, Phoenix, and Golden State is a strong possibility. It sounds like Harrington and our pick to Phoenix, Wallace and Phoenix's pick to GS, and Fortson to the Knicks or something like that might be the scenario

I don't know about our pick and Harringtom for Fortson. Othella doesn't get minutes right now, so who is going to sit out? Spoon? Maybe the Knick brass anticipate Camby having to sit out. Isn't Fortson small for a power foward?

Harringtom makes $2.5M and Fortson is down for $4.6M. Not that I can actually check with RealGM, but it looks like some more fodder will have to change hands.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
Member: #41
2/1/2002  11:54 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Knixkik:

From BskBALL.com

I don't know about our pick and Harringtom for Fortson. Othella doesn't get minutes right now, so who is going to sit out? Spoon? Maybe the Knick brass anticipate Camby having to sit out. Isn't Fortson small for a power foward?

Harringtom makes $2.5M and Fortson is down for $4.6M. Not that I can actually check with RealGM, but it looks like some more fodder will have to change hands.
Haven't we ever learned anything from the LJ and Rice trades? NEVER EVER ACCEPT PLAYERS THAT HAVE SUFFERED MAJOR SEASON ENDING INJURIES.

Fortson - UNDERSIZED PF, with a BROKEN foot

Othella - maybe we think that we can't resign him, but I think i'd rather take Marc Jackson than Fortson b/c Jackson is locked up longer and can actually play Center, something we need. Yes, fortson has the numbers right now, but who is going to sit on the bench behind fortson, Thomas? Weatherspoon? Can you say Logjam? The only thing I can think is the knicks having Thomas play Backup Center and Spoon playing backup PF - but we'd have the shortest frontcourt in the League. What's that you say? We already have the shortest FC in the League...

Why are we trading away a draft pick? Haven't we learned our lesson? Let's start getting some young talent and get out from under salary cap hell...

And if the trade does go down, I expect to see this happen:

Wallace + Othella + Ward/Eisley (rather dump Eisley & contract) to GS
Marc Jax + junk (Blaylock?) to Phoenix
Fortson + junk (Sura?) to Knicks
--------------------------------
I don't know if the deal works or not capwise. I'd expect to see cash and picks flying around also.
Knixkik
USA
2/1/2002  12:26 PM
Whether or not Fortson suffered a big injury or not he's still one of the best rebounders in the game if not the best and is only 25 years old. I would give up what we're offering in a second for him because he could do a lot of good for a team like us.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
2/1/2002  1:54 PM
We have to stop giving away picks like candy, no more draft picks please.

I have absolutely no problem with Fortson but have major issues with throwing away another pick. Haven't we learned anything from the past?
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
2/1/2002  3:10 PM
Giving up Draft Picks and/or making retarded picks out of a talented draft pool has been the Knicks style for a while now... That is how we got so old and so expensive. We are seriously deluting ourselves if we think that adding Fortson will really make us a contender. I hate this flirt with mediocrity. I miss the Knicks of the early 90s who dominated with ease. We need to keep our picks and perhaps try our best to maneuver something for Yao Ming.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
2/1/2002  6:19 PM
Layden should be able to get Phoenix's draft pick. Knicks and Suns are getting one player and Golden State is getting two, here is what I would do, I can't check w/o Realgm (What were they thinking) but I don't think this would work capwise so they'd have to modify it a little:
Knicks Get:
Phoenix First Rounder, Danny Fortson
Suns Get:
Marc Jackson (Phoenix Center obviously, not our PG), Charlie Ward
Warriors Get:
Othella Harrington, John Wallace

If we were getting a guaranteed pick for this year, I'd do it. By trading a PG you can pick one up in what will probably shape up to be the best PG draft in years.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 02/01/2002 18:19:55]
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2002  9:59 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Layden should be able to get Phoenix's draft pick. Knicks and Suns are getting one player and Golden State is getting two, here is what I would do, I can't check w/o Realgm (What were they thinking) but I don't think this would work capwise so they'd have to modify it a little:
Knicks Get:
Phoenix First Rounder, Danny Fortson
Suns Get:
Marc Jackson (Phoenix Center obviously, not our PG), Charlie Ward
Warriors Get:
Othella Harrington, John Wallace

If we were getting a guaranteed pick for this year, I'd do it. By trading a PG you can pick one up in what will probably shape up to be the best PG draft in years.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 02/01/2002 18:19:55]
Warriors don't get much in that and it seems now that they are out of the Jackson sweepstakes. I think we would send Harrington and our first rounder to Phoenix, they would send Wallace, maybe a filler, and their first rounder to GS, and they would send Fortson to New York.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
2/2/2002  11:39 AM
I hate to be negative about it, but the Knicks don't develop young players anyway. What's the point of using draft picks in that event? They may just as well trade them away for a serviceable player.
Knixkik
USA
2/2/2002  11:59 AM
Posted by knickgeek:

I hate to be negative about it, but the Knicks don't develop young players anyway. What's the point of using draft picks in that event? They may just as well trade them away for a serviceable player.
The fact is very few players in the draft from picks 8 to 15 or whatever will ever develop into 10/10 type of players anyway, so why not trade for a young power forward whose already getting 12 and 13 a game. I would rather have a few good players then a lot of mediocre players.
Knicks after Fortson

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy