USA
1/25/2022  2:51 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/26/2022  12:01 AM
Tommy Beer Stats breed malcontent feelings among the U.K.
It feeds into young minds………….
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/26/2022  1:09 AM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2022  1:09 AM
Nalod wrote:Tommy Beer Stats breed malcontent feelings among the U.K.
It feeds into young minds………….

I'm not like the rest of these sheep who believe everything Tommy Beer Tweets out. I do my own research and can tell you these "analytics" chumps are lying to you when they says stats have any impact on stopping the spread of fan booing in urban arenas.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
1/26/2022  2:19 PM
Tommy is not bad if you know what to ignore and what to pay attention to. When he starts cherry picking stats and combining them then you ignore. However, him just stating regular advanced stats are fine.
Clean
1/26/2022  2:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/26/2022  2:22 PM

His defense and corner 3pt% gets me excited. If you click on the picture you see more stats.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/26/2022  2:45 PM
Clean wrote:Tommy is not bad if you know what to ignore and what to pay attention to. When he starts cherry picking stats and combining them then you ignore. However, him just stating regular advanced stats are fine.

Yeah agreed. He intentionally cherry picks and tells you he is doing it. I just find it interesting.

martin
USA
1/26/2022  3:14 PM
And lest we think Thibs is not holding the other young guys accountable and pulling them when they make a mental mistake.... Grimes gets the Obi treatment after this bad shot attempt

TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
1/26/2022  7:32 PM
Grimes has a chance to be special. I know we always think our rookies are going to be better than they actual turn out to be, but I really think Grimes could turn into a solid starting SG. That jumpshot is pure.
Trust the Process
martin
USA
1/28/2022  8:46 AM
Grimes for the win

martin
USA
1/28/2022  8:48 AM
I don't watch games outside of Knicks but Grimes is maybe the best 3&D guy in this graft? Don't know about Dosunmu or Duate.

Maybe SBarnes is the most dynamic without the offensive polish?

Clean
1/28/2022  9:08 AM
martin wrote:And lest we think Thibs is not holding the other young guys accountable and pulling them when they make a mental mistake.... Grimes gets the Obi treatment after this bad shot attempt

Martin this is not specifically directed to you but I am talking in general. This is obviously subjective but is that really a bad shot? It's not at the start of the shot clock. It's not a 3pt shot. He did not over dribble. It is right out of the Allan Houston playbook. Stat people say to avoid mid range shots but I say if you can make them at a good clip then take them. Look at Derozan. He lives in the mid range and has killed the NBA this season. These are the things Grimes needs to figure out with playing time. Instead of beating it out of him instantly by quick pulls let him experiment and try and see if he can make it work. If we go a period of time and that shot is considered inefficient for him then we take it out of his toolkit.

I admit I might be a little bias since my fav Knick is H20 and Grimes so far is looking like he can have a similar playstyle.

That And 1 at around the 1minute 40 second mark of the video is almost the same exact move. I miss watching H20.

martin
USA
1/28/2022  9:36 AM
Clean wrote:Martin this is not specifically directed to you but I am talking in general. This is obviously subjective but is that really a bad shot? It's not at the start of the shot clock. It's not a 3pt shot. He did not over dribble. It is right out of the Allan Houston playbook. Stat people say to avoid mid range shots but I say if you can make them at a good clip then take them. Look at Derozan. He lives in the mid range and has killed the NBA this season. These are the things Grimes needs to figure out with playing time. Instead of beating it out of him instantly by quick pulls let him experiment and try and see if he can make it work. If we go a period of time and that shot is considered inefficient for him then we take it out of his toolkit.

This is a really good question.

Here is my take: For Allan Houston and especially (and obviously) guys like Steph and Klay, those are good enough shots for them.

But when you are trying to grow a young player or rookie like IQ or Grimes, it's not. Each player will have a certain amount of moves or types of shots he has thoroughly practiced and within his bag. Give or take, stick with those until you mastered them in practice and shown you can also hit them in a game. After that, add new type of shot to your repertoire in practice first and then show us you can do it in a game. These are high level guideline and not fast and hard rules.

With 10 seconds left in the shot clock, is that the best shot you can take (have you mastered it in practice) and/or can you move the ball so that your teammate can get a better shot, one that is not considered the worst type of shot in the NBA, the long 2 ball off of a pull up dribble with a guy in your face.

I am under the 100% perception that Thibs and staff right up through the FO is actually trying to develop guys. Am I reading too much into things? Maybe. But typically this is what it looks like.

Thibs has no offensive creativity or doesn't start the young guys when Kemba and Fournier obviously suck? Yup, cause their main/dual focus (while also trying to win games) is to make sure their young core is taking the right steps in development.

Obi is not a good 3 point shooter, so you ONLY want him doing the catch and shoot variety and mostly in the corner where his feet are set, he is not moving and having to do extra things outside of catch ball and look and shoot. You don't want him doing dribble pull up in transition, which is a much harder shot, and you have SPECIFICALLY told him not to, and when he does, you pull him and he remembers. He gets pissed and remembers and practices the **** out of that shot so he can stay on the floor. It's the anti-Knox first year treatment and purposely so so that you don't build bad habits. Obi did this a couple of games ago and was yanked.

It gets guys doing the right thing all the time. It builds good habits instead of bad. It gets guys making sure they go all Kobe, Mamba mentality in the offseason and stay late working on their games.

I'd place all sort of money that these are the things Thibs and staff are telling their young guys: Defend with a ton of energy. We will show you how to defend the PnR, how and when to rotate, how to position yourself. Make those things a priority first. Then, these are the things you as a player are really good at, do those things all the time when open or within the flow of the game. Here are a few things we DON'T want you to do you cause you shoot like 20% from the field when you do them. Practice them. Sure if there is less than 5 seconds on clock and there is no other option, shot that ball. But if we have enough time, move the ball. Do these things and you will get playing time.

martin
USA
1/28/2022  9:46 AM
Watch tape of Pop yelling and screaming at Tony Parker his first couple of years. He yanked that dude so often Tony's head was spinning.

You definitely have to have the right scenario to do this type of pulling young guys early.

Have a **** team like OKC with top 5 draft picks? Maybe your treatment of rookies and young guys is a bit different.

Have Zion on your team, well he definitely starts and plays through mistakes more than Obi or Grimes.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/28/2022  9:46 AM
martin wrote:
I am under the 100% perception that Thibs and staff right up through the FO is actually trying to develop guys. Am I reading too much into things? Maybe. But typically this is what it looks like.

Thibs has no offensive creativity or doesn't start the young guys when Kemba and Fournier obviously suck? Yup, cause their main/dual focus (while also trying to win games) is to make sure their young core is taking the right steps in development.

Obi is not a good 3 point shooter, so you ONLY want him doing the catch and shoot variety and mostly in the corner where his feet are set, he is not moving and having to do extra things outside of catch ball and look and shoot. You don't want him doing dribble pull up in transition, which is a much harder shot, and you have SPECIFICALLY told him not to, and when he does, you pull him and he remembers. He gets pissed and remembers and practices the **** out of that shot so he can stay on the floor. It's the anti-Knox first year treatment and purposely so so that you don't build bad habits. Obi did this a couple of games ago and was yanked.

It gets guys doing the right thing all the time. It builds good habits instead of bad. It gets guys making sure they go all Kobe, Mamba mentality in the offseason and stay late working on their games.

I'd place all sort of money that these are the things Thibs and staff are telling their young guys: Defend with a ton of energy. We will show you how to defend the PnR, how and when to rotate, how to position yourself. Make those things a priority first. Then, these are the things you as a player are really good at, do those things all the time when open or within the flow of the game. Here are a few things we DON'T want you to do you cause you shoot like 20% from the field when you do them. Practice them. Sure if there is less than 5 seconds on clock and there is no other option, shot that ball. But if we have enough time, move the ball. Do these things and you will get playing time.

Who the hell needs Tommy Beer?

martin
USA
1/28/2022  10:19 AM
Clean, you know what the Knicks' staff and Grimes just added to his game: him running around the court coming off of a double screen to receive ball at 3 point line (ala Steph or Reggie Miller). First in the season I've seen it purposely run. It's a lot more work then what he had been doing meandering on the 3 point line.

The one time I saw it (and I could have missed other times) he did it OK; wasn't completely open and ball never made it to him. He could have faded to one side a bit more but he kinda stopped. It'll get better. They just added that to his arsenal (and the team's playbook) cause he has passed all of the other things he has been doing with flying colors.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
1/28/2022  10:32 AM
martin wrote:I don't watch games outside of Knicks but Grimes is maybe the best 3&D guy in this graft? Don't know about Dosunmu or Duate.

Maybe SBarnes is the most dynamic without the offensive polish?

I knew that based on most of your responses.

I Have league pass so I watch a lot of NBA games, and I also read the local sports news of every one of our opponents on game day.

Grimes on a team with a faster pace would be a starter.

ES
martin
USA
1/28/2022  10:46 AM
Man NYPost is just helping me out these days.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/27/obi-toppin-coming-on-strong-despite-brutal-knicks-stretch/

Obi Toppin coming on strong despite brutal Knicks' stretch
Peter Botte

The most positive thing the Knicks can take out of their last two losses has to be the consecutive strong shooting nights posted by Obi Toppin.

The second-year dunk machine had been connecting on a dismal 20 percent from 3-point range until nailing five of seven attempts from beyond the arc in losses this week in Cleveland and Miami.

“I just feel like, trusting the work that I put in. All these guys, all the coaches, they believe in me, they trust me, and I just got to know what I’ve got to do when I get in there,” Toppin said after scoring a team-high 18 points off the bench Wednesday in a loss to the Heat. “I put the work in and everything is going to fall into place after that.”

The 2020 lottery pick has played at least 15 minutes in three of the past four games, following an eight-game stretch in which he averaged slightly more than 11 per game. While Julius Randle (minus-34) and the starting unit were destroyed at both ends in the first and third quarters by the Heat, Toppin also led the second unit with a team-best plus-20 rating over 21 minutes.

“I just know when I get into the game, I have to bring energy. I don’t want to mess up,” Toppin said. “I go in, play my hardest and play with a lot of energy. We depend on each other. We all have to go out and do our job.

Asked about being a fan favorite and their calls for him to receive more playing time from head coach Tom Thibodeau, Toppin added, “I’m not really a social media guy … but Thibs, the coaching staff, they’re great at what they do. So I trust them as well as all the other players on our team. We trust the coaches and whatever decisions they have for us, we’ve got to live with it.

Grimes or Cam Thomas??

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy