[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Woj: Cam Reddish to KNICKS, Knox out
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/13/2022  1:15 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:Useless trade. SG/SF is the one position where the Knicks have a lot of options: RJ, Fournier, Grimes, IQ will also get minutes at SG. At least we did not give up a lot, but hard to see where Cam fits into the rotation, whereas Knox just sat at the end of the bench. Probably the real reason was to make RJ happy ahead of re-signing him and give Knox a fresh start ahead of his contract year.

Same arguments made that the Derrick Rose trade would block IQ, etc.

Very short sighted IMHO

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/13/2022  1:15 PM
George Harrison needed to get away from the Beatles to show his song writing ability.
Harden needed to get away from OKC to shine.
A tree needs sunlight to grow.
Cam Reddish needs minutes. At 6-8 and a 7-1 wingspan what is he? SF? SG? PF?
ATL going to keep Knox?
For both ATL and Knicks this could be a trade that enables another trade and answers all kind of questions.
Cam is a rotational player, knox was not. Logical that we are cooking up something for a starter or rotational player to bring in.
Both teams are deep at wings. And RJ I doubt is trade bait. Cam is also 21.
Zion tilt? That would be a hoot.
Hail Mary: Obi, Mitch and two firsts for Ayton.
martin
USA
1/13/2022  1:16 PM
Nalod wrote:George Harrison needed to get away from the Beatles to show his song writing ability.
Harden needed to get away from OKC to shine.
A tree needs sunlight to grow.
Cam Reddish needs minutes. At 6-8 and a 7-1 wingspan what is he? SF? SG? PF?
ATL going to keep Knox?
For both ATL and Knicks this could be a trade that enables another trade and answers all kind of questions.
Cam is a rotational player, knox was not. Logical that we are cooking up something for a starter or rotational player to bring in.
Both teams are deep at wings. And RJ I doubt is trade bait. Cam is also 21.
Zion tilt? That would be a hoot.
Hail Mary: Obi, Mitch and two firsts for Ayton.

Or something. Knicks now can be in the hunt.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
1/13/2022  1:16 PM
Hawks wanted Grimes, Knicks balked.

martin
USA
1/13/2022  1:18 PM
VDesai wrote:Hawks wanted Grimes, Knicks balked.

I think the phrase the Knicks used was "Fuck NO"

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/13/2022  1:21 PM
I reside in the A and have seen Cam quite a bit, except this year since I cut the cord. Cam is very talented, in fact there was some debate that he was just as skilled as RJ or at least had a bigger upside. The knock on Cam coming out of Duke was that he has a low motor which is a red flag. I definitely saw the low energy and what appeared dot be disinterest from him at times, but I can say that his intensity picked up once Nate took over as the coach.

Cam's a very good shooter but he's streaky. He can put the ball on the floor and get to the paint, but I thought he settles for 3's way too much. The talent and skill is there for him to be a very good player. He has great size and a shooters touch. I am excited to see if he can untap his full potential here.

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/13/2022  1:23 PM
martin wrote:
VDesai wrote:Hawks wanted Grimes, Knicks balked.

I think the phrase the Knicks used was "Fuck NO"

Knicks counter proposal:

foosballnick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3148

1/13/2022  1:29 PM
jrodmc wrote:
foosballnick wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Is cam reddish much better than knox?

Both lower lottery picks both same size both stats close

It’s a wait and see. I’d rather of held out the 1 for a pg

Cam plays defense and can guard 3 positions. He's also had breakout games on offense and has the ability to get to the rim. Knox has only shown proficiency as a spot up 3 point shooter so far. predicting that NY fans are gonna love what Cam brings.

I was wondering about Cam's defense. A quick glance at their D stats doesn't show a whole hell of alot of difference between them. Hopefully Thibs gets more out of Cam than he could out of Knox. He's certainly got more offensive chops.

Wow, Mitch is all that's left from the prior FO regime...

Relatively small sample size but just the eye test for me. In what I've watched from both - their motors are completely different.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/13/2022  1:33 PM
RJ and Reddish together again. So now we just have to get Zion. He will be our Moby Dick. Pun intended.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

1/13/2022  1:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/13/2022  1:49 PM
Uptown wrote:I reside in the A and have seen Cam quite a bit, except this year since I cut the cord. Cam is very talented, in fact there was some debate that he was just as skilled as RJ or at least had a bigger upside. The knock on Cam coming out of Duke was that he has a low motor which is a red flag. I definitely saw the low energy and what appeared dot be disinterest from him at times, but I can say that his intensity picked up once Nate took over as the coach.

Cam's a very good shooter but he's streaky. He can put the ball on the floor and get to the paint, but I thought he settles for 3's way too much. The talent and skill is there for him to be a very good player. He has great size and a shooters touch. I am excited to see if he can untap his full potential here.

Watch a lot of the NBA. Agree with this. May be One person's junk for another's perceived treasure. Especially with fans. They are both 22. Both have struggled. And both have potential. Hopefully a change of scenery for both will do some good. Do not see this as a "fleecing" though considering we gave up a first round pick to swap the two and received a second in return. How the trade is judged, will depend on Cam coming in and considerably outperforms Knox's stint here. Which may not be very hard. That and on what the Hawks get with that 1at round pick. However, I do think and hope that the familiarity Cam has with RJ will help him turn the corner. If anything, Knox needed to be dealt to avoid getting nothing in return for him.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
ESOMKnicks
Member: #6064

1/13/2022  1:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/13/2022  1:50 PM
martin wrote:
ESOMKnicks wrote:Useless trade. SG/SF is the one position where the Knicks have a lot of options: RJ, Fournier, Grimes, IQ will also get minutes at SG. At least we did not give up a lot, but hard to see where Cam fits into the rotation, whereas Knox just sat at the end of the bench. Probably the real reason was to make RJ happy ahead of re-signing him and give Knox a fresh start ahead of his contract year.

Very short sighted IMHO

Not comparable. We did not have Elf freshly signed to an $80 million contract back then like we do with Evan now. And IQ was not a #3 pick the first round.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/13/2022  1:53 PM
MS wrote:This is obviously setting up another trade.

Obi is going to be moved shortly. He’s playing 10 minutes a night and Thibs doesn’t like him.

IQ, Obi, two firsts probably to Sac for Fox or some combination.

I think you are reading the tea leaves pretty well. I dont think they trade IQ in any trade. I think there's a pretty big bromance there with IQ and Thibs. Also think Thibs like Obi just fine if he's laying bricks he's gonna sit. That being said there are gonna be moves coming.

Fox and Randle are a terrible pairing. He's 100% available.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Clean
Member: #743
1/13/2022  1:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/13/2022  1:55 PM
I can't lie I was never high on Cam. If he can shoot and if he scores well when involved in our offense he can help us because our bench passes the ball around. I have to admit our starters are starting to do it more often also. I am interested to see how he changes the dynamic of the team. Someones minutes is going to get cut. So either this year or next there will have to be a trade because people will start getting angry due to lack of minutes.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/13/2022  1:59 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:

Very short sighted IMHO

Not comparable. We did not have Elf freshly signed to an $80 million contract back then like we do with Evan now. And IQ was not a #3 pick the first round.

none of the guys you mentioned have anything like Cam's physical tools. Cam is 6'8 with a 7'1 wingspan and is more athletic than all the guys you mentioned. *IF* he works and does well with Thibs he gives you a long SF that also moves RJ back to SG where his size is more impactful.

I like the trade. Cam is skilled and gives us an Ariza kind of long athletic wing. His age and physical tools make him a great gamble. I am also sure adding Cam isnt going to be "the move"

We know Sac has guards available.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CleaverGreene
Member: #8756

1/13/2022  2:05 PM
Clean wrote:I can't lie I was never high on Cam. If he can shoot and if he scores well when involved in our offense he can help us because our bench passes the ball around. I have to admit our starters are starting to do it more often also. I am interested to see how he changes the dynamic of the team. Someones minutes is going to get cut. So either this year or next there will have to be a trade because people will start getting angry due to lack of minutes.

Have not seen as many games as I've wanted to see this year, but in the ones I have watched, I've seen too much standing around and waiting for the guy with the ball to do something, and less of the off-ball movement I saw and was impressed by last year.

Hopefully this changes.

There are three classes of men; lovers of wisdom, lovers of honor, and lovers of gain. (Plato)
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/13/2022  2:10 PM
fishmike wrote:
MS wrote:This is obviously setting up another trade.

Obi is going to be moved shortly. He’s playing 10 minutes a night and Thibs doesn’t like him.

IQ, Obi, two firsts probably to Sac for Fox or some combination.

I think you are reading the tea leaves pretty well. I dont think they trade IQ in any trade. I think there's a pretty big bromance there with IQ and Thibs. Also think Thibs like Obi just fine if he's laying bricks he's gonna sit. That being said there are gonna be moves coming.

Fox and Randle are a terrible pairing. He's 100% available.

Fournier seems to be the next most likely to be moved, doesn't he? Otherwise we have a bit of a glut at the SG/SF. Maybe Fournier for Miles Turner?

Maybe Obi is next though and that's why he's looked so deflated the last 3 games?

One thing I'm also puzzled by- if we were so against adding salary beyond next season (preferring 2 year deals last offseason), how will Cam Reddish wanting a big pay day affect that plan, or has that plan changed? Or do we just not extend him and RJ next season (I'd rather not, I don't get this new trend for extending players before you need to)

foosballnick
Member: #3148

1/13/2022  2:11 PM
ESOMKnicks wrote:
martin wrote:

Very short sighted IMHO

Not comparable. We did not have Elf freshly signed to an $80 million contract back then like we do with Evan now.

There's no way to fully evaluate this trade as "useless" until you know the bigger picture (ie...if another trade is in the works or not). I actually think this move is more about setting up for the future (i.e. taking a gamble on Cam's future upside)

Further - even if there is not another trade:

- RJ is under Knicks control through 23/24 season (via qualifying offer) - so not sure why you think that getting Cam now would have anything to do with his contract
- Cam's salary is a bargain compared to potential upside (<$6M thru 2023 then a QO of $8M for 23/24 season)
- EF's contract is only a guaranteed 3 years $60M (4th year is an option)
- IQ and Burks will need to slide to PG to cover for Rose in the short term as well as fill in based on Kemba's knee/load management
- That leaves EF / Fournier / Grimes & Cam at the 2 & 3 on many nights this season in the near term

smackeddog
Member: #883
1/13/2022  2:11 PM
So basically the Hawks traded Luka Doncic for Trae Young and Kevin Knox plus a mid to late protected 1st?
Clean
Member: #743
1/13/2022  2:22 PM
I also have to say thank goodness we are not dumb enough to trade Grimes. Even if he turns out to be a role players he will be a 2 way role player. Those are very hard to find.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/13/2022  2:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/13/2022  2:27 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Uptown wrote:I reside in the A and have seen Cam quite a bit, except this year since I cut the cord. Cam is very talented, in fact there was some debate that he was just as skilled as RJ or at least had a bigger upside. The knock on Cam coming out of Duke was that he has a low motor which is a red flag. I definitely saw the low energy and what appeared dot be disinterest from him at times, but I can say that his intensity picked up once Nate took over as the coach.

Watch a lot of the NBA. Agree with this. May be One person's junk for another's perceived treasure. Especially with fans. They are both 22. Both have struggled. And both have potential. Hopefully a change of scenery for both will do some good. Do not see this as a "fleecing" though considering we gave up a first round pick to swap the two and received a second in return. How the trade is judged, will depend on Cam coming in and considerably outperforms Knox's stint here. Which may not be very hard. That and on what the Hawks get with that 1at round pick. However, I do think and hope that the familiarity Cam has with RJ will help him turn the corner. If anything, Knox needed to be dealt to avoid getting nothing in return for him.

Thats a big part of this trade. Instead of losing our former 9th pick for nothing, they got a better version of Knox in a former 10th pick in the draft with a chance to get a close look at for 2 more years on a decent salary. Like I said earlier, he plays in spurts on both sides of the ball and whenever a player is labeled as having a low motor, that is a major red-flag for me. He did appear to show more intensity under coach Nate, but again, it was consistent. Like you said, hopefully a change of scenery will help him. Hopefully, playing in Thibs system will help him realize his potential because he is very skilled and has great size on the wing, something we desperately need.

Woj: Cam Reddish to KNICKS, Knox out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy