Author Thread
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/20/2022  1:10 PM
foosballnick wrote:Randle for Fox

Had just seen this floated on Twitter.

Talk about completely shaking up your team identity! Can't say I wouldn't think about it...

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/20/2022  1:56 PM
Philc1 wrote:
Nalod wrote:I would not trade RJ straight up for simmons.
OBI and IQ are not NBA starters yet. So value is not high.

We want the starphuch. Our FO, MIlls and Aller will grind it out. Media will stir us up to read trade ideas and make more issues than exist.

We sort of fixed our starting unit. Rande, RJ and EF paying very well the last 5-6 games. No trades needed. Execution and chemistry.

When I see Kemba killing it shows the promise of what he could be. If he can’t be that, he is a bit of liabilty. If he can’t shoot, defenders sag off him and his defense suffers if hampered by the knee. Thats why he is either in or out. If it byes time to develop IQ and Deuce, thats ok and happening.

The Reddish trade? We paid little and for the most part he either stays the same, does not improve, or gets much improved. 33% chance of each? Not a given is it? But thats ok. We get a chance/opportunity to get lucky. WE traded a lo 1st round pick whose odds and timeline might not be much better if at all.

Deuce is not there yet. He had one good outing which showed alot. Rookies are inconsistant but at least it showed what can be. At 21 im not saying we give up, but I sure as hell are not letting him grow on the court and lose games. We don’t do that.

If we trade RJ for Ben Simmons I’m becoming a nets fan. Holy cow that’s a horrible idea

I think about it if it's possible. Simmons is talented and young. He also showed he can carry a team during stretches when Embiid was hurt. I like RJ, don't get me wrong, but we're still talking about his potential. It's possible that RJ will never have the same impact Ben does. Sixers would never accept that deal, but I'd be open.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

1/20/2022  2:01 PM
MaTT4281 wrote:

Talk about completely shaking up your team identity! Can't say I wouldn't think about it...

I think it's more realistic that Fox bounces back to last year's production than Randle...I'd have to think on this one too.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
1/20/2022  4:13 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

I think it's more realistic that Fox bounces back to last year's production than Randle...I'd have to think on this one too.

I wouldn't blame them for this trade. Don't see it happening, but the way we looked with Randle as the lead, it hasn't looked good this year. or maybe everybody else just looks better. I would hate to get rid of Randle, because I believe he has the heart of a New Yorker, get out of my way, bully style. I love it. So I'm on the fence with this trade.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
foosballnick
Member: #3148

1/20/2022  4:48 PM
blkexec wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
MaTT4281 wrote:

I wouldn't blame them for this trade. Don't see it happening, but the way we looked with Randle as the lead, it hasn't looked good this year. or maybe everybody else just looks better. I would hate to get rid of Randle, because I believe he has the heart of a New Yorker, get out of my way, bully style. I love it. So I'm on the fence with this trade.

Just hope it happens so I can be some kind of profit!!

I'm not hating on Randle but it's probably easier to build a consistent winner around a young PG. I think Randle has value around the league - probably higher than Knicks fans rate him - but it's probably much easier for the team to find a replacement who's proficient and can be paired with Obi at the 4....than it is to find and bring in a young solid PG.

I actually would prefer other options (i.e. Haliburton, Brunson, or even Russell - see my other improbable trade) - but I think this might be a possible move they explore. Might have to throw in Kemba's salary to make this work cap-wise, maybe we even manage to get a pick back. The other deal that might work before the deadline cap-wise is Fox and Bagley for Randle and Fournier.

blkexec
Member: #748
1/20/2022  7:14 PM
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/outerlink.asp?id=146672422
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
NYKMentality
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4385

1/20/2022  7:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2022  7:37 PM
Trade Randle for Fox? That's nuts.

▪︎ Fox only has a career FG% of .458%.
▪︎ Fox only has a career 3PT% of .314%.
▪︎ Fox only has a career FT% of .722%.
▪︎ Fox only has a career rebounding average of 3.5.
▪︎ Fox averages 2.8 turnovers per game.
▪︎ Fox only has a career Player Efficiency Rating of 17.4

All 6 of those statistics are worse than Julius Randle's.

It wouldn't take long before Fox became NYs new whipping boy because let's be honest here. This is a classic example of NY fans over-rating a player who we don't even watch play basketball on a consistent and/or nightly basis.

▪︎And Fox (as a PG) only has a career average of 6.2 assists (not very good for a ball dominant PG) because even Julius Randle averaged 6.0 assists last year and even 5.1 assists this year.

You think Sacramento fans are happy with Fox leading them to a losing record of 18-29 and 11 games below .500 as their starting PG this year?

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

1/20/2022  8:45 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2022  8:46 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

We want the starphuch. Our FO, MIlls and Aller will grind it out. Media will stir us up to read trade ideas and make more issues than exist.

We sort of fixed our starting unit. Rande, RJ and EF paying very well the last 5-6 games. No trades needed. Execution and chemistry.

When I see Kemba killing it shows the promise of what he could be. If he can’t be that, he is a bit of liabilty. If he can’t shoot, defenders sag off him and his defense suffers if hampered by the knee. Thats why he is either in or out. If it byes time to develop IQ and Deuce, thats ok and happening.

The Reddish trade? We paid little and for the most part he either stays the same, does not improve, or gets much improved. 33% chance of each? Not a given is it? But thats ok. We get a chance/opportunity to get lucky. WE traded a lo 1st round pick whose odds and timeline might not be much better if at all.

Deuce is not there yet. He had one good outing which showed alot. Rookies are inconsistant but at least it showed what can be. At 21 im not saying we give up, but I sure as hell are not letting him grow on the court and lose games. We don’t do that.

If we trade RJ for Ben Simmons I’m becoming a nets fan. Holy cow that’s a horrible idea

I think about it if it's possible. Simmons is talented and young. He also showed he can carry a team during stretches when Embiid was hurt. I like RJ, don't get me wrong, but we're still talking about his potential. It's possible that RJ will never have the same impact Ben does. Sixers would never accept that deal, but I'd be open.

Simmons is a cancer. We are trying to create a culture here.

He also can’t shoot from 3 and doesn’t help us with our biggest need which is perimeter shooting

BigDaddyG

1/20/2022  9:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/20/2022  9:38 PM
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

He also can’t shoot from 3 and doesn’t help us with our biggest need which is perimeter shooting

Our biggest need? This has multiple needs like driving, driving, passing, effort. Simmons has weakness, but the things he excels at he does at a high level. And I've never questioned his effort on the court, which is more than I can say for our PF.
Philc1

1/21/2022  10:59 AM
Rose, Fournier, Walker and Gibson for Westbrook
Philc1

1/21/2022  11:00 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Our biggest need? This has multiple needs like driving, driving, passing, effort. Simmons has weakness, but the things he excels at he does at a high level. And I've never questioned his effort on the court, which is more than I can say for our PF.

Yes but perimeter shooting has been our biggest problem going back multiple regimes including the current one

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/21/2022  11:12 AM
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Yes but perimeter shooting has been our biggest problem going back multiple regimes including the current one

Huh? That's not correct at all.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fwk00
Member: #6048

1/21/2022  12:27 PM
Westbrook gets bought out by Lakers, signs with Knicks
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
1/24/2022  2:22 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

How's that effort on the court looking this season? Or in the playoffs last season, when you could never question his excelling at running away from the ball. Or should I say "excelerating" away from the ball?

Please stop with the Simmons tripe. We already gave Knox away and Philly would have to give us 14 1st rounders to take that albatross salary off their hands.

Notice how much Philly really seems to be missing Simmon's perceived excellence?

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
1/24/2022  3:14 PM
NYKMentality wrote:Trade Randle for Fox? That's nuts.

It wouldn't take long before Fox became NYs new whipping boy because let's be honest here. This is a classic example of NY fans over-rating a player who we don't even watch play basketball on a consistent and/or nightly basis.

▪︎And Fox (as a PG) only has a career average of 6.2 assists (not very good for a ball dominant PG) because even Julius Randle averaged 6.0 assists last year and even 5.1 assists this year.

You think Sacramento fans are happy with Fox leading them to a losing record of 18-29 and 11 games below .500 as their starting PG this year?

Randle has career averages of 47.7%, 33.6% 3pt FG%, 74.2 FT %, 9.3 Rebounds, 2.7 TO as a ball dominant forward... so?

Point is it's obvious you can't accurately/fairly compare different players (on different teams that play different positions) statistically. Fox has flaws like most NBA players - question is how would they be on the Knicks? Would Thibs's coaching help him hide or minimize most of them or would they be exacerbated? Not sure how that plays out but I'd consider rolling the dice since Fox is younger, possesses clear talent and would likely yield more if a future trade needed to occur.

Your loyalty to Randle is somewhat admirable - but at some point you have to try to make arguments that have some credibility/value and show some understanding of how team basketball works. It's not baseball where you can compare batting averages.

If I were a supporter of Randle I would evaluate Fox's defensive capabilities, limited outside shooting and his quality as a teammate. Randle has really struggled this season, not just in production or 3pt FG % - but with consistent effort, on-court composure and leadership. In contrast - last season he was pretty amazing. You can't defend certain realities that are indisputable IMO.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/24/2022  3:50 PM
jskinny35 wrote:

Randle has career averages of 47.7%, 33.6% 3pt FG%, 74.2 FT %, 9.3 Rebounds, 2.7 TO as a ball dominant forward... so?

Point is it's obvious you can't accurately/fairly compare different players (on different teams that play different positions) statistically. Fox has flaws like most NBA players - question is how would they be on the Knicks? Would Thibs's coaching help him hide or minimize most of them or would they be exacerbated? Not sure how that plays out but I'd consider rolling the dice since Fox is younger, possesses clear talent and would likely yield more if a future trade needed to occur.

Your loyalty to Randle is somewhat admirable - but at some point you have to try to make arguments that have some credibility/value and show some understanding of how team basketball works. It's not baseball where you can compare batting averages.

If I were a supporter of Randle I would evaluate Fox's defensive capabilities, limited outside shooting and his quality as a teammate. Randle has really struggled this season, not just in production or 3pt FG % - but with consistent effort, on-court composure and leadership. In contrast - last season he was pretty amazing. You can't defend certain realities that are indisputable IMO.

I wouldn’t trade Randle for Fox simply because it’s been proven you can win with an offense built around Randle but not Fox. I’d add Fox to this team with Randle to infuse some 2-way talent, but not swap them out.

Here’s one thing I don’t understand about trading randle. Instead of trading him because he’s playing bad, wouldn’t it be easier to sort of revert back to what was working when he was playing well? In other words, swap out Walker for a PG more suitable for a Randle-centric team and see if last year wasn’t a fluke. My guess is Randle will never have a year like last year but can get closer to that with the right players around him. Even Randle playing bad, this team was lost without him those couple games he was in protocols. They couldn’t beat a stripped down OKC team. Randle is so valuable just from the attention he draws. We just need better complimentary players.

BigDaddyG

1/24/2022  4:00 PM
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

How's that effort on the court looking this season? Or in the playoffs last season, when you could never question his excelling at running away from the ball. Or should I say "excelerating" away from the ball?

Please stop with the Simmons tripe. We already gave Knox away and Philly would have to give us 14 1st rounders to take that albatross salary off their hands.

Notice how much Philly really seems to be missing Simmon's perceived excellence?

I'd say the 76ers miss him a lot. Their in the lower seeding bracket and where viewed by some as title contenders coming into the season. You're going to get mad at him for trying to force a trade? Fine. I think he has every right to be pissed that his coach threw him under the bus. Players force themselves away from teams all the time. I don't see it as any indictment on his work ethic. Does Ben have issues. Yeah, that's why he's available. But can you honestly tell me that Randle or RJ come close to Ben from an overall talent standpoint? Morey would laugh in our faces if we offered any of those two in a trade package. It's fine if you don't like Simmons. But the talent is undeniable.
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
1/24/2022  4:39 PM
Knixkik wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:

I wouldn’t trade Randle for Fox simply because it’s been proven you can win with an offense built around Randle but not Fox. I’d add Fox to this team with Randle to infuse some 2-way talent, but not swap them out.

Here’s one thing I don’t understand about trading randle. Instead of trading him because he’s playing bad, wouldn’t it be easier to sort of revert back to what was working when he was playing well? In other words, swap out Walker for a PG more suitable for a Randle-centric team and see if last year wasn’t a fluke. My guess is Randle will never have a year like last year but can get closer to that with the right players around him. Even Randle playing bad, this team was lost without him those couple games he was in protocols. They couldn’t beat a stripped down OKC team. Randle is so valuable just from the attention he draws. We just need better complimentary players.

I'm 100% wanting to shift the offense so it's not Randle-focused as I don't believe you can win at a high level when the offense is focused around one player - unless that player possesses most of the following on an elite level: court vision, composure, leadership, athleticism, skills, two-way effort. IMO Randle last season demonstrated the elite 3pt shooting but struggled in most of the other areas. This year that 3pt elite shooting is gone and likely to not return and sustain on that high level from last season. Every top playoff team that focused on one specific player demonstrates qualities listed above (eg Giannis - athletically superior, Luka/Jokic - court vision, Lebron - composure and several others (although diminishing somewhat)). Now I would be open to shifting Randle to be the #2 or #3 guy but a)it's doubtful he would accept a demoted position at this stage in his career and b)very unlikely we could acquire a top tier talent without using our player with the most value (Randle).

We keep trying to fit players around Randle - based on Randle's limitations. Even Fox who you suggested would be an awful fit next to Randle as Fox doesn't shoot well enough from outside and also plays at a significantly faster pace than Randle does. Moving Randle for Fox would signify a shift that the 90's era is over and we are going to try to play that pace that most of the successful playoff teams have been playing at for the past few seasons. Warriors, Suns, Nuggets, Mavs, Bucks, Nets all play at a much faster tempo then the Knicks (we are either last or 2nd to last in pace play). Now I fully understand Toppin is not Randle and will probably never be - but the point is to use players that complement and/or maximize the accompanying players. I think Toppin could score 16-17pts nightly in a run n gun style offense - even if he never develops that outside shot he needs to. RJ wants to run as does the entire 2nd unit. Mitch would get more lobs and PnR play, etc... or we keep watching Randle ISO and kickout to an inconsistently average outside shooting team and hope that RJ eventually surpasses Randle as the focal point (which could happen eventually). You are right that the team looked lost without Randle and would likely struggle transitioning if Randle were to depart... that said our ceiling was last year when we overachieved and were swept in the first round so why should we think Randle will all of the sudden change and become even better then he was last season? I do think Brunson would help - but more help like get us into the 1st round again. Haliburton would also help but none of these moves would move the needle enough when factoring in we would deplete our bench (our strength) and picks to make this incremental move. Time to pick the scab, let it bleed and go forward even if it means a step back.

fwk00
Member: #6048

1/25/2022  5:38 PM
A few weeks ago I imagined a Randle trade to be improbable. I was convinced that he and Thibs and the FO all had a nod and wink agreement that no matter what happened the Knicks would build "around" him. This could *still* wait until summer but I even doubt that.

The Knicks are now confronted with the very real possibility of missing the playoffs completely and that would be an unacceptable meltdown of catastrophic proportions. First it would introduce a toxic doubt in Thibs and the FO than neither can afford.

Secondly, for this regime to incremetally improve [enough], they will need that playoff experience more than any game-time minutes tweaking can ever provide.

Randle, whose prima donna preferences have come home to roost has simply got to go. He doesn't play well with others. He plays better with Elf than anyone else and he and Fournier are like oil and water. And his season misadventures already speak for themselves. He's written his own ticket out.

How about Randle and Walker to the Clips for Marcus Morris and Reggie Jackson and whatever niceties it takes to grease the deal?

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/25/2022  5:44 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/25/2022  5:46 PM
Trade the whole team except for Kemba, Rose and Taj For Westbrook and Wall. Change the name of the team to the NY broken down geriatrics and then never complain again that we don’t have a PG
Your Improbable Trade of the Day

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy