[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Day Thread: New York Knicks @ OKC (FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS), December 31st @ 8:00 PM).
Author Thread
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
1/1/2022  2:00 PM

I knew I was not crazy. We got a lot of open looks last night. They were just bricking shots left and right.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/1/2022  3:21 PM
All the Obi-Randle'less threads and hot takes make no sense to me when you consider all of the lack of PGs and the replacements. It does show us how far IQ/McBride have to go to show us they are starter or even near starter material. There is a very good reason IQ has not really been the #1 replacement, starting PG and it showed.

For me, more interesting would be a look at how RJ did. He put up stats but I don't know if he influenced the game in the same way SGA did (even though both has similar'ish stats).

It was RJ who should be stepping up more IMHO and all the Obi talk is useless.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
1/1/2022  4:27 PM
Clean wrote:I really like our defense when not taking into account our 3pt defense. I don't think I can watch another game of this type of 3pt defense. I don't even blame the players for it. This is a scheme issue. Weakside defenders sag so deep into the paint for no reason EVERY SINGLE TIME. There is no reason for weakside defender to sag into the paint if they can't make a play on the ball. All it ever does is leave weakside shooters open for the 3 after a drive and kick. This is the main source of the open 3's we give up. It has been the same problem the whole year. Seriously go back and watch how many times just that alone gives up the open 3. I literally make a disgusted face every time I see the weakside defender drop down now because I know what's going to happen.

How does one get to the point where they know it's the scheme versus how the players are executing a scheme properly or not?

I don't think Thibs taught Randle how to do the spinover. I don't think Thibs is teaching the weakside players to sag so much. I think the players are sagging too much and there is not enough recognition of who are decent shooters, where they are shooting from, etc.

martin
USA
1/1/2022  4:30 PM
NYKMentality wrote:C: Mitchell Robinson.
PF: Julius Randle.
SF: R.J. Barrett.
SG: Immanuel Quickley.
PG: Deuce McBride.

I love that starting 5.

Defense. Defense. Defense + more Defense and energy.

You know who wouldn't have to play defense AGAINST that SL? The opponent. They'd just pack the paint cause barely any of those guys can hit a deep shot.

Clean
1/1/2022  4:46 PM
martin wrote:
Clean wrote:I really like our defense when not taking into account our 3pt defense. I don't think I can watch another game of this type of 3pt defense. I don't even blame the players for it. This is a scheme issue. Weakside defenders sag so deep into the paint for no reason EVERY SINGLE TIME. There is no reason for weakside defender to sag into the paint if they can't make a play on the ball. All it ever does is leave weakside shooters open for the 3 after a drive and kick. This is the main source of the open 3's we give up. It has been the same problem the whole year. Seriously go back and watch how many times just that alone gives up the open 3. I literally make a disgusted face every time I see the weakside defender drop down now because I know what's going to happen.

How does one get to the point where they know it's the scheme versus how the players are executing a scheme properly or not?

I don't think Thibs taught Randle how to do the spinover. I don't think Thibs is teaching the weakside players to sag so much. I think the players are sagging too much and there is not enough recognition of who are decent shooters, where they are shooting from, etc.

I will admit I assume its a scheme issue. I assume that because everyone on the team have done it for the whole year. I was calling attention to this back when we lost to the Magic or Raptors early in the season. If this is not what Thibs wants them to do it's his job to get them to stop.

Clean
1/1/2022  5:36 PM
I am not one of those guys on twitter that can do those long threads with video etc. I just did a quick skim to find a few examples of how far the weakside guy drops. These instances did not hurt us because one was a miss and the others the offense made a bad play but it is just an example of what we do to allow bad shooting teams to always shoot well vs us. If its Thibs fault or the players fault I don't care to be honest. I just want us to switch something up so it does not keep allowing weakside shooters to be wide open after a simple PNR to drive and kick situation.

martin
USA
1/1/2022  5:41 PM
Clean wrote:
martin wrote:

I will admit I assume its a scheme issue. I assume that because everyone on the team have done it for the whole year. I was calling attention to this back when we lost to the Magic or Raptors early in the season. If this is not what Thibs wants them to do it's his job to get them to stop.

I feel like a coach has only so many tools he can use to teach players via game play. So are we mad that Thibs pulls Obi when he makes a mistake that they have probably gone over with him a million times or do we want Thibs to pull the rookies more when they make weakside sag mistakes?

It's an incredibly hard balance. And rest assured, the coaching staff is seeing this waaaayyyy before us

Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

1/1/2022  10:49 PM
I’m glad I missed seed this game. I was just wondering if there are new Covid restrictions on practicing on the road. Our shooting percentages were beyond bad, even for us
Kemet
Member: #6148

1/1/2022  10:56 PM
Happy Holidays everyone, stay safe !!!

Letting RJ Barrett call shots on offense for 36 minutes for the first time in Barrett's career, has raised a large RED Flag in my living room amongst fam and guest, on New Years eve.

Putting rookie McBride (aka Deuce-Deuce) in the starter lineup instead of Quickley should've raised a RED Flag to all Knicks fan!

In the Knicks 2021-22 season the only SAME-PAGE winning lineup on the Knicks roster are the lineup that WON Game 2 in the Knicks 1-4 postseason .. D.Rose, Quickley, Burks, Toppin, and Taj Gibson.
After Game 2 Thibs never put that lineup back on the court.
That same lineup, this time without D.Rose won a losing game for the Knicks the other night.
Did Thibs put that lineup on the court in the OKC game? NO! not once.

All throughout the Knicks 2021-22 regular season the majority of Knicks fans in every Knicks chat room been preaching the Knicks bench lineup perform way better than the Knicks starters.
True or False?
Julius Randle could not help the Starters poor offense or weak defense.
Why would the head-coach put a 2nd season player Obi Toppin, who been averaging 12 min of playing time the past two season, in a starter lineup of LOSERS?

Three days ago, In Wednesday game vs the (5-18) Pistons, coach Thibs favorite players Randle/Barrett performance gave the Pistons a 17 pt lead in the 3rd quarter.
Coach Thibs had to put the bench lineup (Quickley, Burks, Toppin, Taj, and rookie Deuce) into the game 3 min before the end of the 3rd quarter to stop the Pistons (high scorers Bey & Diallo) from increasing the Pistons lead over the Knicks.
Well, in 5 min the Knicks Same-Page Bench lineup went on a 19-5 run to tie the game at 71. Having 10 min remaining in the game with the score tied at 71, the Knicks Same-Page bench lineup went on a 23- 14 run over the Pistons to win the game.

In yesterday game vs OKC Thunder, coach Thibs never put the winning same-Page bench lineup of (Quickley, Burks Toppin, Taj, and rookie Deuce-Deuce) on the court once, after they won the previous previous game.
Which lead to an EMBARRASSED Knicks Loss 95-80.

Every Knicks fan by now should know 2nd season Obi Toppin's speed, and above the rim hops are a lethal scoring weapon in a lineup having D.Rose, Quickley, Burks, and Taj Gibson.
Coach Thibs put Obi Toppin in lineups with poor passing skills Fournier & Barrett, while Barrett & Fournier not clicking with any teammate in their lineup, but Barrett's calling all the shots on offense for 36 minutes, never giving rookie Deuce-Deuce the chance to play PG. So far Barrett's talent/skills as a SG has never meshed with any of our previous PG, and he don't look good in the backcourt with Kemba, D.Rose, Quickley, or Deuce-Deuce.
It may seem like I hate Barrett, but I don't, it's just Barrett, Kemba, and Fournier don't have any TEAM-Ballin skills on offense/defense.

martin
USA
1/1/2022  11:31 PM
Rookie wrote:I’m glad I missed seed this game. I was just wondering if there are new Covid restrictions on practicing on the road. Our shooting percentages were beyond bad, even for us

Actually, good point. I think they have drawn back the shoot arounds and I wouldn't be surprised in during this road trip there are much less practices and such

Game Day Thread: New York Knicks @ OKC (FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS), December 31st @ 8:00 PM).

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy