[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Day Thread: New York Knicks @ Detroit (Wednesday, December 29th @ 7:00 PM).
Author Thread
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

12/29/2021  10:36 PM
Mitch could have easily had a 30pt game if anyone passed him the ball tonight. Not including him in the offense is total bull****. Include Mitch = easy buckets in this game
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/29/2021  10:39 PM
SergioNYK wrote:Thibs said in the post game that Randle is nicked up.

If he's playing hurt, he should sit out a few games cause him playing like that tonight doesn't help.

Thank you! If Randle is hurt- I get that he is a gamer and wants to be out there, but at this point, his play is hurting the team. Give him a day or two off, let him recover.

Maybe all those minutes from last year are catching up.

gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

12/29/2021  11:46 PM
NYKMentality wrote:Awesome win tonight.

What could've been an atrocious and disheartening loss.

Becomes an inspiring win that not only makes it 3 wins in a row (4 out the the previous 5) but also a win to build momentum upon.

From down 14 with 3 minutes in the 3rd. Then our 5 backups Deuce @ PG, IQ @ SG, Burks @ SF, Obi Toppin@ PF and Taj Gibson @ Center come into the game. And before you know it they played the remaining 3 minutes of the 3rd + all 12 minutes of the 4th and it was a Knicks 14 point lead with under 2:00 left in the game (and we won by 9!)

All 5 of those backup unit players deserve so much praise but man oh man was Alec Burks on flame fire tonight. 19 4th Q points. And finished with 34 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 assists off of 12/17 shooting and 5/8 from 3PT land. Like whoa. Hey. He may not be built for starting PG but he's another spark plug off the bench especially at SF on the wings.

And remember last night? When Coach Thibs was getting criticized for not playing Obi Toppin a lot of minutes? And I said coach Thibs has a plan on a back to back and how I had a feeling Obi Toppin would get 30+ minutes? I was wrong. He earned 21 minutes. And loved his energy and electricity.

And I'll admit. I was wrong heading in. We didn't beat this depleted Detroit team by 50+ points. Like I thought we could. But our NBA powerhouse bench unit did beat their bench by 50+ points. Score of 65-7 (+58). Just goes to show how unstoppable our bench can become if opposing teams aren't deep enough in talent and depth off the bench.

I'm pretty fired up for a chance to get back to
500% @ OKC come Friday Night.

Agreed!

Winning back to back road games in the middle of winter is tough. Knicks depth saved them for the second night. I'm still optimistic with the starters. I think their physicality wears out teams and is one of the reasons the second unit gets more run. I hope Obi gets more play time- Randle/Obi,Mitch/ Obi line ups all do well.

Jimbo5
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8854

12/30/2021  12:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2021  12:36 AM
Thibs is in a really bad spot. The team invested alot on Randle and its like he is obligated to make him the featured player in this team even though his mindset and physical game play resembles his 1st year as a knick rather than the MVP candidate of last year.

Its true that this team will go as far as Randle can take the team. More often than not Thibs will live or die with Randle playing. Benching him is not an option which could send negative signals to other teams. Not loving Randle's consistencies issues the past 3 years.

If Randle is hurt, that only give him an excuse for the last 3 game, but he had a decent game against the T-wolves. His performance overall so far this season is underwhelming to say the least, he is even bringing the play of the starting 5 down with him.

fitzfarm
Member: #3285

12/30/2021  12:38 AM
If Detroit won they should have made a movie out of this game. Look if Randle is nixed up let him sit a few games and let obi play. Randle almost sank this game it’s incredible to me that thibs played Randle as much as he did with the effort he gave tonight. If he’s injured and playing at the level he played tonight don’t play him that’s simple . He took down that whole starting unit, poor Grimes and everyone else in the starting lineup… I cracked up when thibs pulled grimes thinking he was the problem in the 3rd and finally when he pulled Randle we get back into the game… thibs is lucky we were playing the Covid all stars and not a real team, a real team would have blown us out by 20 pts tonight.
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

12/30/2021  12:41 AM
McBride was a +39 with 0 pts that has to be a record! Deuce is a bad ass!!
Kemet
Member: #6148

12/30/2021  12:42 AM
franco12 wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:Thibs said in the post game that Randle is nicked up.

If he's playing hurt, he should sit out a few games cause him playing like that tonight doesn't help.

Thank you! If Randle is hurt- I get that he is a gamer and wants to be out there, but at this point, his play is hurting the team. Give him a day or two off, let him recover.

Maybe all those minutes from last year are catching up.

There's no excuse Thibs could give us fans for Randle poor performance on both sides of the court.
Thibs and Randle have no plays or plan on offense/defense for the Starters.
When the starters 3-ball is dropping we fans are happy, when the 3 ball is not dropping 4 of our starters are letting opponents score at will, especially Randle & Barrett. When them two start playing hard defense then others will follow but their stand-still laziness when they dont have the ball stop them from being a leader in the startter lineup.
Randle need to play the PF position rather than TRY to be the PG, and team facilitator.
Plus Randle's defensive effort all season, says trade him.

Yes, I seen what the team could do without RJ in the rotation.
Thibs dont want fans to see what the Knicks could do without Randle in the rotation for 3 to 5 games.
Obi Toppin is waiting for his chance to score 30 pts !!!

NYKMentality
Member: #4385

12/30/2021  12:44 AM
Jimbo5 wrote:Thibs is in a really bad spot. The team invested alot on Randle and its like he is obligated to make him the featured player in this team even though his mindset and physical game play resembles his 1st year as a knick rather than the MVP candidate of last year.

Its true that this team will go as far as Randle can take the team. More often than not Thibs will live or die with Randle playing. Benching him is not an option which could send negative signals to other teams. Not loving Randle's consistencies issues the past 3 years.

I'd actually like to see Julius Randle get a chance to play with this backup unit.

One day this year. Just one time. I want to see a STARRING 5 of...

C: Obi Toppin.
PF: Julius Randle.
SF: Quentin Grimes.
SG: Immanuel Quickley.
PG: Deuce Deuce McBride.

Let me see that starting 5 just one time or at any point in the game.

Maybe it's not really "Julius Randle" who's holding our starting 5 back on both O and D. Maybe he could once again flourish surrounded by a different 4.

Maybe its Mitch scoring outside of in the paint? R.J. just being the 2nd youngest Knick and still going thru growing pains? Kemba Walker brand new PG in a new system? Evan Fournier dear lord don't let me get started?

b]C: Obi Toppin.
PF: Julius Randle.
SF: Quentin Grimes.
SG: Immanuel Quickley.
PG: Deuce Deuce McBride.

Let me watch Julius with those kids and see how he plays. He could become explosive right alongside of them as the veteran dog and who knows could feel off their energy.

I'm not ready to blame Randle for the starting 5 and Julius only. We started off 25-27 after 52 games last year. Rose came in and saved Randles soon to be awesome year. And maybe the year it's these younger kids above in bold only 35 games in who can help get Randle get himself back into ALL STAR mode again?

I thought basketball was a team game. What happened to lifting up your teammates? Randle? He lifted everyone up last season.

Clean
Member: #743
12/30/2021  1:52 AM
Ok finally saw the game. I skipped straight to the bench play. I have no interest in watching the starter play. Some things I noticed is that McBride still has trouble breaking down the D. His attempts got stuffed a couple of times. He also noticed this was not his night shooting so he made the extra pass. 2 times the extra pass went to the 4th quarter MJ Burks who hit 2 3's. Some more good things is McBride pushes the ball when ever he can and guards close full court every time he can. This caused 2 or 3 ball pressure turnovers that he might not have gotten but his teammates did.

Obi did a great job on defense and rebounding in traffic tonight. He did his normal good job on offense. Great night from him.

This is IQ's best role. Scoring combo guard off the bench that can make the pass if the defense gives it to him.

I like this bench lineup. IQ and Burks are the scoring threats. Obi does the glue work on offense. He cuts, he gives trapped passers good angles to pass out of traps. He leaks out for easy fast breaks. He is a very willing passer. I love me some Obi.

Taj did what Taj do. Very solid everywhere when you need him most.

Very fun game to watch when you skip the starters.

Clean
Member: #743
12/30/2021  3:59 AM

Wally talking that talk.
gradyandrew
Member: #8959

12/30/2021  5:04 AM
Jimbo5 wrote:Thibs is in a really bad spot. The team invested alot on Randle and its like he is obligated to make him the featured player in this team even though his mindset and physical game play resembles his 1st year as a knick rather than the MVP candidate of last year.

If Randle is hurt, that only give him an excuse for the last 3 game, but he had a decent game against the T-wolves. His performance overall so far this season is underwhelming to say the least, he is even bringing the play of the starting 5 down with him.

I don't think Thibs really cares about who they signed and for how much- he had no problem benching Kemba when he did. We also know Thibs is loyal to a fault so Randle's play last season likely earned
him 35 minutes a night on whatever team Thibs coaches for the next 10 years. It's possible Thibs dials back the minutes but more likely he bets Randle's next run is right around the corner.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/30/2021  6:59 AM
gradyandrew wrote:

I don't think Thibs really cares about who they signed and for how much- he had no problem benching Kemba when he did. We also know Thibs is loyal to a fault so Randle's play last season likely earned
him 35 minutes a night on whatever team Thibs coaches for the next 10 years. It's possible Thibs dials back the minutes but more likely he bets Randle's next run is right around the corner.

And that is forever the Knick problem- thinking that just one more player (McDyess) puts us back into contention, that better play is around the corner, that it’s time to extend Isiah the coach because we’re in a play off spot mid season.

Thibs, Rose, Perry eat al all have done a great job turning this franchise around, instilling a winning culture.

But I have a hard time reconciling what I am seeing out of Randle on the court, with how that supports winning, either in the short term or long term. If he’s hurt, he needs to recover. If he isn’t hurt, he needs to get his head screwed on straight. Would it kill the season if he sat for 1-5 games? If he needs some kind of surgery and he might be out 2 months like Rose, better to do it now than hold off.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/30/2021  8:23 AM
franco12 wrote:
Uptown wrote:RJ had Mitch wide open

And if were our coach - or anyone else- Mitch would probably average 20 a game.

quit being an insufferable ****. Thibs is the current COY. Get over it
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Jimbo5
Member: #8854

12/30/2021  8:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 12/30/2021  8:29 AM
Randle's overall demeanor this season is on the negative side. His body language is even being singled out by the knicks commentators at times. Overall he just feels heavy. Im not so sure if Thibs doesnt see it, everyone else sees it. Randle's attitude, body language while playing should change, in doing so hopefully it elevates the knicks play overall as well.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/30/2021  8:42 AM
VDesai wrote:
Randle and Barrett -27 and -29 respectively. Whoa. McBride +39. Toppin +36! Play defense and look what happens!
and you get the playing time. Its not just that we are deep. Its that these guys play and play well. IQ/Taj/Burks lead the team in minutes with Obi/McBride playing more minutes than the starters outside of RJ/Randle.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/30/2021  8:50 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
12/30/2021  10:17 AM
WP76 wrote:Not to derail the thread but the only thing I'd give up in a trade for Ben Simmons is a sack of basketballs. The guy is a useless head case who's a festering wound on Phily's roster. Let him remain the 76'ers problem.

I am of the opposite opinion.

Vaccination status aside (and it's a big aside), I'd heavily consider Randle/RJ for Ben Simmons and would probably do it.

Head case? For sure. Are there enough head cases in the NBA that turned around, yes. Shooting? It's a workable problem IMHO

Simmons is a guy you can envision building around. He has deep flaws but is also a unique enough player with the talent to match that you can put the right pieces around to get to a high level team.

I feel like both RJ and Randle have enough flaws and mental make-up deficiencies that match Ben Simmons and I would NOT build around those two. In a year or 2 you will need extend RJ and his salary will be in the $15M+ range and that would put those two players in the ~$45+M per year range with neither being able to build around.

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

12/30/2021  11:46 AM
martin wrote:
WP76 wrote:Not to derail the thread but the only thing I'd give up in a trade for Ben Simmons is a sack of basketballs. The guy is a useless head case who's a festering wound on Phily's roster. Let him remain the 76'ers problem.

I am of the opposite opinion.

Vaccination status aside (and it's a big aside), I'd heavily consider Randle/RJ for Ben Simmons and would probably do it.

Head case? For sure. Are there enough head cases in the NBA that turned around, yes. Shooting? It's a workable problem IMHO

Simmons is a guy you can envision building around. He has deep flaws but is also a unique enough player with the talent to match that you can put the right pieces around to get to a high level team.

I feel like both RJ and Randle have enough flaws and mental make-up deficiencies that match Ben Simmons and I would NOT build around those two. In a year or 2 you will need extend RJ and his salary will be in the $15M+ range and that would put those two players in the ~$45+M per year range with neither being able to build around.

I’d make that trade for Simmons in a second but unfortunately Philly even in a somewhat desperate situation wouldn’t consider those 2 (at least together).

The Simmons trade with Knicks involved would seem to something where Randle goes to Portland with maybe CJ & other pieces going to Sixers - Knicks get Ben 😉

martin
USA
12/30/2021  12:25 PM
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
12/30/2021  12:30 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/rrvryx/rj_responds_to_heckler/
Game Day Thread: New York Knicks @ Detroit (Wednesday, December 29th @ 7:00 PM).

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy