[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Bullish on Deuce
Author Thread
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
2/2/2024  10:55 AM
martin wrote:I will give you all a peek at something else I spend a crap load of time on: I watch and scout volleyball players, mostly beach volleyball and mostly on the women's side of things, because... reasons And not the stalkery reasons you dirty dogs are thinking about, although the fit ladies in bikini's make it very easy to focus on body movements. Juniors to D1 and then I skip to particular level of pro.

I don't know diddly about basketball body mechanics, just fundamental volleyball stuff.

McBride's shooting mechanics look very different to me this year compared to last compared to the year before. His shot is less loopy. But my meds are always kicked in so maybe it's just me that's loopy.

The way McBride squares up to the hoop before he shoots seems high level to me but realistically I don't know. Strong and perfectly executed and formed.

Does anyone else see this or is it just me?

On threes, yes. On midrange his elbow is flying outward giving zero consistency in his shot.

This is the Randle.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/2/2024  10:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2024  11:00 AM
martin wrote:I will give you all a peek at something else I spend a crap load of time on: I watch and scout volleyball players, mostly beach volleyball and mostly on the women's side of things, because... reasons And not the stalkery reasons you dirty dogs are thinking about, although the fit ladies in bikini's make it very easy to focus on body movements. Juniors to D1 and then I skip to particular level of pro.

I don't know diddly about basketball body mechanics, just fundamental volleyball stuff.

McBride's shooting mechanics look very different to me this year compared to last compared to the year before. His shot is less loopy. But my meds are always kicked in so maybe it's just me that's loopy.

The way McBride squares up to the hoop before he shoots seems high level to me but realistically I don't know. Strong and perfectly executed and formed.

the eye test shows something and to me it's confidence and no hesitation. He's literally Marcus Smart. It took Smart years to become a serviceable (putting it nicely) PG. I think McBride isnt quite THAT level of defender (dude did win a DPOY) but he's also ahead of Smart on offense. Smart was a terrible shooter and McBride starting to show he's got a bag he's confident in.

Watching McBride has been another telling sign Thibs is our guy long term.

forgot the shooting part (Martin's question) and it's hard to tell if yes something changed or it just looks different because he's not thinking anymore, its purely get his feet in place, trust your mechanics (run hit3.exe). Could be some chicken/egg there. Maybe he made an adjustment in his shot and NOW he's more confident, or maybe his new confidence has his shot looking smoother. IDK but I love either! I WILL EAT THOSE FUCKING GREEN EGGS AND HAM with McBride!

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/2/2024  10:59 AM
SergioNYK wrote:Credit to Thibs and the player development coach Dice for getting Deuce ready and he's hitting it out of the park! I don't think we trade IQ without knowing and being confident that Deuce can play and replace at least some of what he brought.

100%

It's wild to me to think the Knicks FO has had the patience and buy-in from Deuce to put him on a development path that is literally right there before our eyes to watch unfold.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
2/2/2024  11:00 AM
EwingsGlass wrote:

On threes, yes. On midrange his elbow is flying outward giving zero consistency in his shot.

This is exactly what I was going to say. And you know what, I'd put good money on Deuce being a sharpshooter in that space in a year or 2.

The Knicks FO got McBride on that fabulous contract and it's gonna pay dividends all around.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/2/2024  11:26 AM
martin wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:Credit to Thibs and the player development coach Dice for getting Deuce ready and he's hitting it out of the park! I don't think we trade IQ without knowing and being confident that Deuce can play and replace at least some of what he brought.

100%

It's wild to me to think the Knicks FO has had the patience and buy-in from Deuce to put him on a development path that is literally right there before our eyes to watch unfold.

you wonder how much of that factored in with the draft as well. "we got a young ready to elevate his game... it's not quite there but we are confident it will be" so we trade a late pick and kick the can down the road.

Meanwhile nobody outside the Knicks know anything about McBride because he doesnt do much beside light up the G league and look nervous on offense but obviously the org knew exactly what they had. 2 years of seasoning and we basically give him a first round pick contract at age 23. If he was a 4 year college player this would be his rookie season.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021/7/26/22592559/2021-nba-draft-scouting-report-miles-mcbride-west-virginia-analysis-breakdown-fit-atlanta-hawks

wildly accurate and telling scouting report of McBride (3 years ago).

I think with McBride this is what he is... and that's fine, because he can clearly continue to get better at THOSE things. He's not a floor general. He's a football player. He's a scorer and a physical menace on D. 6'2 with a 6'9 wingspan and a powerful core. Thibs has been getting him on the floor and we are getting those 2 things from him and it's fantastic.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/2/2024  11:27 AM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

100%

you wonder how much of that factored in with the draft as well. "we got a young ready to elevate his game... it's not quite there but we are confident it will be" so we trade a late pick and kick the can down the road.

Meanwhile nobody outside the Knicks know anything about McBride because he doesnt do much beside light up the G league and look nervous on offense but obviously the org knew exactly what they had. 2 years of seasoning and we basically give him a first round pick contract at age 23. If he was a 4 year college player this would be his rookie season.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2021/7/26/22592559/2021-nba-draft-scouting-report-miles-mcbride-west-virginia-analysis-breakdown-fit-atlanta-hawks

I think with McBride this is what he is... and that's fine, because he can clearly continue to get better at THOSE things. He's not a floor general. He's a football player. He's a scorer and a physical menace on D. 6'2 with a 6'9 wingspan and a powerful core. Thibs has been getting him on the floor and we are getting those 2 things from him and it's fantastic.

KNICKS CULTURE!

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
martin
USA
2/2/2024  12:35 PM
fishmike wrote:
martin wrote:

100%

RJ, IQ, Grimes, Obi, McBride.

Knicks have a type. Maybe all were not exactly taken for that particular reason and circumstance, but they got a type. iHart, Josh Hart, DDV, OG.

martin
USA
2/2/2024  9:33 PM
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

2/2/2024  9:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/2/2024  9:37 PM
martin wrote:

Once again, a FO move paying immediate dividends. They gave Deuce a new level of confidence by committing to him with nice contract.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
PassTheBall
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5872
Norway
2/3/2024  10:35 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/3/2024  10:36 AM
Deuce is clearly a Thibs guy and one on the path to be one our best developmental success stories of all time. Take that Frank!
/PassTheBall
blkexec
Member: #748
2/8/2024  1:50 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/8/2024  1:51 AM
http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=66236
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
2/8/2024  1:52 AM
I love Deuce but not enough to have multiple threads.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
2/19/2024  10:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/19/2024  10:36 PM
Feel a players one on one defense has often been exaggerated on here. As is the actual impact.
Frank, Grimes, Deuce have been proclaimed by many as "guys who can stop anyone"
Claims that can be quickly proven wrong when you see guys like 31 year old, 6'1 TJ McConnell score with ease in one on one situations.
However, as you know, good TEAM defense is more about rotational quickness. Feel Deuce is excellent at knowing when to rotate to open players and does so at a high speed. Think that has been the issue with the addition of Boj and Burks. They are not as good with their rotations as the players we lost. Feel we should hopefully see a difference after the break.

I was wrong about Deuce. Never thought he could change his unaggressive nature and low confidence level. Which I feel is sometimes impossible to do. Saw it so many times while playing. Guys that could shoot lights out in practice but then got the shakes in a real game and could barely hit a layup. Deuce has done it. Seems much more confident and aggressive. Just a different mindset.
Now it's just about gaining more game experience and improving/adding skills. Which is the easier part. Glad for him and rooting for him. Unfortunately, the team seems to have higher goals and just added so called better more experienced players that will take his playing time.

The 1st bold is an over exaggeration.

To be clear, I said Deuce can't guard the rim. I never said he can't lock someone up on the perimeter, which he can and still top 5 to me on perimeter defense at the PG position.

I like Grimes for his well rounded game and unselfishness. Some don't like him for the same reason, but on a team that's filled with offensive chuckers, Grimes fits in as a ball mover, respectable shooter you have to guard, and solid defender.

Frank was and still is a solid defender. But he's not a great defender and doesn't do much outside of that consistently.

If you are a basketball player, the next bold doesn't make since to me. For non ballers, yes I can see someone believing that. But for true ballers, your confidence increases with reps and the work you put in. I never thought Deuce lacked confidence. He just wasn't a good consistent shooter and he's not the type to just keep launching up shots, if the first 3 not falling. I respect that, as a roll player. Now he's a solid shooter and solid defender.

Him and others will look even better on defense when Mitch is back to protect the rim.

blkexec
2/19/2024  10:46 PM
Murray and Deuce
Brogdon and Deuce

Those are good pairs because Murray and Brogdon are floor generals at 6'5 ish, who can play the 1&2. Thats what Deuce needs as a back court mate, similar to how the sixers made it work with AI and Snow.

Brunson and DDV are both undersized for their position. DDV is not the long type of player Brunson needs next to him, but he makes up for it with lateral quickness, shot blocking and shooting. DDV brings a lot to the table, but I still feel like upgrading the SG position with Mikal (for example) is the perfect pair for Brunson. Not because they are friends, but Mikals build, size and defense along with his shooting. He can also guard 1&2 and he's taller and longer than DDV, so it's the same AI and Snow backup. But Leon has made all the right moves, so whatever Leon is thinking, it's hard to bet against him. GM / President of the year hands down.

This is why I'm also not too fond of D.Mitchel and Brunson back court. I might work and get us further, but I don't see that pair winning a chip together as the main guys. But if we get Spider and he proves me wrong, I'm not mad at that. I hope he does, assuming we even get him.

ramtour420
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
3/4/2024  6:40 PM
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
3/19/2024  7:18 AM
29 pts on 9 for 13, 6 for 9 3ptrs
He here
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/19/2024  7:54 AM
What we learning?
Grimes the incumbent starter lost it to DDV.
Deuce the 3rd year project was deemed ready to step up.
Grimes was traded to solidify the bench.
Did fans see this all coming? Of courese not.
BUrkes and Bogs looked great on Pistons. They are struggling on KNicks.
But……..
They are not killing it, but they are doing their job and we are winning.

Development is not about how fast you can get a player to a certain level. Some things just need time to happen.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/19/2024  9:32 AM
What a development success case deuce is becoming. The shooting is at a level I never thought would come. He’s an elite on-ball defender and seems to never run out of gas. With him pairing well with Brunson, he has replaced most of what Quickley did. And he’s signed to a low priced extension. Big win for the front office and coaching staff
DLeethal
Member: #9126

3/19/2024  9:48 AM
Deuce is becoming such a gem. The unsung hero of the in-season trades.
blkexec
3/19/2024  9:55 AM
Knixkik wrote:What a development success case deuce is becoming. The shooting is at a level I never thought would come. He’s an elite on-ball defender and seems to never run out of gas. With him pairing well with Brunson, he has replaced most of what Quickley did. And he’s signed to a low priced extension. Big win for the front office and coaching staff

Big win for all parties involved including DEUCE himself.

Very humble kid. I’ve been following him on IG since the draft. Very proud of his patience and work ethic. His college coach Higgins, deserves the credit for building a 2 WAY foundation in this kid. He’s grounded and a student of the game. Which is why he was hand picked by Thibs who already saw this in him.

Skies the limit and I just hope we keep these guys for a long time.

Nova crew
Deuce, iHart, OG

All great guys and I’m sure they make the team chemistry enjoyable for our iron man Randal. Yes Randle and JB are the rock. OG as well, if he can stay healthy.

But congrats to our homegrown and thanks to Leon for clearing out the noise and allowing DEUCE the room to shine. He’s now the G League confident player we all hoped he could be. Spiking at the right time heading into the playoffs.

If he’s used properly as a lockdown 3 and D utility player, we can go all the way with this kid. He brings defense intensity you rarely see in today’s offensive guard dominated era. And when paired with other 2 way players (Harts, OG, DDV, etc) it unlocks a SUPER CHARGE that spreads into non defensive players like JB who was great on defense last night (btw).

Kudos to coach thigs for his nurishment. Did not listen to the noise from fans like me. He did not want to throw him to the wolves TOO EARLY. That’s why Thibs gets the big bucks. Loving this team (WIN or LOSE)

Bullish on Deuce

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy