MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/10/2004  3:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/newtothegame_atlantic.html

Get to know the Class of 2004 a little better
New to the Game: Atlantic Division

Who did they look up to? What were their best dunks? And what do they do away from the game? Inside Stuff magazine's Andrew Bangs asked these questions and more to 18 members of this year's rookie class. Find out what the Atlantic Division's Rafael Araujo, Trevor Ariza, Andre Iguodala, Al Jefferson and Delonte West had to say in "New to the Game."
New to the Game: Atlantic | Central | Northwest | Pacific | Southeast | Southwest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rafael Araujo, C, Toronto Raptors

Stuffing: Rafael loves to play soccer is a big fan of the Brazilian national team, never missing a televised match.
(Sam Forencich
NBAE/Getty Images)

What players did you admire most growing up?
Araujo: "I always watched Karl Malone, I’ve always liked him. He’s a post guy, but he runs the floor real well. As I grew up, I started watching other players, Tim Duncan. I got some things from him to add to my game. Lots of players that I played with in Brazil gave me advice. My friend Walter Ruiz, he gives me ideas, emails ideas to me."
Have you ever met [Brazilian great] Oscar Schmidt?
Araujo: "I’ve had the opportunity to meet him a couple times. He’s a really great player. When everyone talks about basketball in Brazil they talk about him. He went from Brazil to Italy, and played in Italy for ten years."

Are you looking forward to teaming up with Chris Bosh this season?
Araujo: "I met Chris recently, he’s a really great kid. He gave me some advice for this coming year, to keep my mind strong, body strong, and I’ll be all right."

What do you think of Toronto?
Araujo: "I’ve been to Toronto a couple times for workouts, it’s a great place, beautiful people live there, beautiful city, it’s so clean. I think I’m going to love it."

Do you have any talents/hobbies?
Araujo: "Not really, I tried to learn the guitar once, but gave it up. I really like to enjoy my family, my wife and my kid, and just spend time together, have a great time together and have fun. Be a good parent, you know?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trevor Ariza, F, New York Knicks

Stuffing: Trevor played every position on the court during high school.
(Nathaniel S. Butler
NBAE/Getty Images)

Ariza: "I love Magic Johnson, for his knowledge of the game and his love of the game. Jason Kidd, for how he passes the ball and sees the floor. Tracy McGrady is my favorite player now. Baron Davis… of course, Michael Jordan."
Who do you consider the best dunker of all time?
Ariza: "James White. He’s done things that I’ve never seen before. It’s crazy… from the free-throw line, between the legs… it’s crazy."

What’s the best dunk you’ve thrown down?
Ariza: "In high school, I dunked on three people. We were playing in the state semifinals. I saw the lane, threw it one-handed… it was just a once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing, you know? It felt good."

What do you think of New York City?
Ariza: "I’ve seen the city, there’s too much to do. You can’t see everything, but the time that I’ve spent there so far, I’ve loved it."

Andre Iguodala, F, Philadelphia 76ers

Stuffing: Andre recorded two triple-doubles during his sophomore season at Arizona, an extremely rare feat for college players.
(Jesse D. Garrabrant
NBAE/Getty Images)

Iguodala: "Growing up, it was Michael Jordan, like everybody. Just the way he composed himself on and off the court, he dominated the game, he was a killer on the court. He did whatever he wanted to. Penny Hardaway was one of my favorites. I wanted to emulate him, wear the same number as him, same shoes."
Who are some NBA players you’re looking forward to competing against?
Iguodala: "Richard Jefferson called me after the draft, and he said, “You’re in the Atlantic, same conference as me. We’re playing you six times, and I’m shooting the ball every time, regardless. I’m getting 40 every time we play.” I know I can check him, though."

Iguodala: "Against Texas in Madison Square Garden, off an alley-oop from [Arizona point guard] Mustafa Shakur. My freshman year against Cal, when I went under the basket, that was pretty nice."

Are you looking forward to teaming up with AI and the Sixers this season?
Iguodala: "Definitely looking forward to playing with Allen Iverson. He’s a small guy but he’s a warrior, he shows a lot of heart when he plays. When we played summer league, Willie Green looked good. Willie Green was killing out there! He got 30 in three or four games. I ‘m looking forward to playing with Dalembert, he’s a big guy, I can get him the ball and he can finish."

We hear you’re a big reader...
Iguodala: "I read a lot. I read a lot of Jordan books. I just got The Jordan Rules, and For The Love Of The Game. I got Oscar Robertson’s book, my agent got it for me, I haven’t read it yet, but I got it at home to read it during the season."

Al Jefferson, F, Boston Celtics

Stuffing: In a game during his senior season in high school, Jefferson notched a ridiculous triple-double with 62 points, 21 rebounds and 11 blocks.
(Brian Babineau
NBAE/Getty Images)

Jefferson: "I’ve always liked Shaq. The guys I pattern my game after now are Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace, put together, you know what I’m sayin’?"
Jefferson: "I’d give it to Vince Carter, because he’s got crazy ups. He brought some dunks to the game that no one had ever thought of."

Jefferson: "It was probably this summer. What’s the name of that dude on Miami? Wang Zhi Zhi? I threw one down on him in summer league."

What’s your unstoppable move?
Jefferson: "Jump hook. When it’s fallin’, look out."

If you could have one other player’s skill, what would it be?
Jefferson: "I wish I could have Ben Wallace’s hops."

We hear you like to fish...
Jefferson: "I love to fish. I’ll go after anything that’s biting. I don’t cook em’ up or eat ‘em, though, just throw them back."

Delonte West, G, Boston Celtics

Stuffing: Delonte majored in art at St. Joe’s, and likes to paint and draw in his free time, saying: "I like to paint what I think, or what I see in my mind. I get deep into it."
(Jesse D. Garrabrant
NBAE/Getty Images)

West: "You gotta start with, like any guy in my era, you gotta have Michael Jordan. Everybody wanted to be Michael Jordan. I used to like Iverson when he was at Georgetown. Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars… I always wanted to play like my brother. He was always better than me, he could kick my butt on the basketball court. So, Dimitri West, he converted me. I always wanted to play like him. "
West: "It’s gotta be Michael Jordan. He had everything in his repertoire. Some guys are one-leg jumpers, some guys are two leg jumpers; he could do it both ways. He could glide, he could do just about anything… in traffic, in contests… whew!"

West: "I’ve had a few in my career. There was one, my senior year in an All-Star game called the Jordan Capitol Classic in Washington D.C. I dunked on a guy, a chest-to-chest dunk on the fast break. And my sophomore year of college, I dunked on a guy from Villanova at the Palestra. It’s like a holy war, St. Joe’s versus Villanova, so that was big."

What’s your unstoppable move?
West: "I have a hesitation move that I use to get my defender off-balance. From there, I’ve got lots of counter-moves I can use. I can go past you, crossover, pull-up, head fake. It’s a hard move to defend."

Who has the best handles in the League?
West: "I have to say Mike Bibby or Steve Nash. If you really watch them play, the way they handle the ball is unbelievable. Oh, and AI. They had to come up with a rule to stop his crossover! It don’t get no better than that!"

What’s the worst fashion choice you’ve ever made?
West: "I’m a fly individual; I never make bad fashion choices."

What’s your favorite sports uniform or throwback?
West: "Len Bias, Maryland jersey. He’s also a guy who went to the Celtics, but we never got to see him do his thing. I idolized that guy, so I keep that one in my closet. "

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/10/2004  4:53 PM
Trevor played every position on the court during high school.
That's something I like to hear. If he grows another inch and puts on a little weight, he might become a five position player in the NBA too like Lamar Odom is
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/10/2004  5:07 PM
He definitely has a pass-first mentality. He hit a couple of guys in their hands and the muffed the catch.
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
11/10/2004  5:15 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
That's something I like to hear. If he grows another inch and puts on a little weight, he might become a five position player in the NBA too like Lamar Odom is
Well, not five positions, even four would be stretching it because he'd be undersized, but yeah I love his versatility. It's nice to see he's not just a dunker or 10 foot and in player.
http://allknicks.com
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #737
USA
11/10/2004  5:38 PM
lolz... MJ!! lolz j/k... maybe
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
11/10/2004  6:55 PM
Posted by teslawlo:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Well, not five positions, even four would be stretching it because he'd be undersized, but yeah I love his versatility. It's nice to see he's not just a dunker or 10 foot and in player.
That's why I said "If he grows another inch and puts on a little weight"
Atlantic Division Rookies

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy