dick forced out
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
11/8/2004  11:49 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap.php#1099972330

Knicks Assistant Dick Helm Resigns

After two straight losses, the last a blowout in the Garden opener, unofficial assistant head coach Dick Helm was asked to resign by the team. The longtime friend of Lenny Wilkens has been replaced by Brendan Suhr, who is also the Knicks' director of player personnel and a close friend of Thomas, the team president.

No official reason was given by the team.

"He has some personal things, some things he wants to do right now," Wilkens said. "He just doesn't feel that he can focus on it."

Asked if Helm's departure was related to the Knicks' 0-2 record, Wilkens interrupted, saying: "Not at all. It had nothing to do with it."

Asked if it was Thomas's decision, Wilkens said: "Nothing to do with it. I can't tell you more than that."

Reached by telephone Monday afternoon, Helm declined to comment, saying questions should be directed to Thomas.

"I will let Lenny and Isiah be the spokesmen for me," Helm said.

"It's a marathon, I'm not worried about it," said Jamal Crawford, who added that the Knicks had two "really competitive" days of practice after Saturday's debacle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/09/sports/basketball/09knicks.html
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
11/9/2004  12:01 AM
martin/andrew - why are you editing these posts - i think that this is some humor that knick fans need to be able to laugh about...

come on... Knicks, now without Dick!
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/9/2004  12:02 AM
OK, sorry. I thought a little humor was acceptable here.

In all seriousness, the Lenny watch is on.
Caseloads
11/9/2004  12:06 AM
With Little Noise, Knicks Send Loud Message in Dropping Wilkens's Top Aide
By HOWARD BECK

Published: November 9, 2004

REENBURGH, N.Y., Nov. 8 - Without a victory after two games, and humiliated in their home opener, the Knicks dumped the top assistant on Coach Lenny Wilkens's staff on Monday and replaced him with one of Isiah Thomas's closest confidants.

Dick Helm, Wilkens's longtime friend and unofficial assistant head coach, stepped down at the team's request. He has been replaced by Brendan Suhr, who is also the Knicks' director of player personnel and a close friend of Thomas, the team president.

The team disclosed the moves quietly Monday morning but did not issue an official announcement. Players were unaware of the change until they walked into practice and saw Suhr in the gym. Wilkens informed them that Helm had resigned.

Team officials characterized Helm's departure as voluntary, but they offered no specific explanation.

"He has some personal things, some things he wants to do right now," Wilkens said. "He just doesn't feel that he can focus on it."

Asked if Helm's departure was related to the Knicks' 0-2 record, Wilkens interrupted, saying: "Not at all. It had nothing to do with it."

Asked if it was Thomas's decision, Wilkens said: "Nothing to do with it. I can't tell you more than that."

The decision to let Helm, 71, go had been considered for some time, according to a person familiar with those discussions. As Wilkens's top aide, Helm sat closest to Wilkens on the bench and advised him on game-management issues, from foul situations to substitution patterns.

Thomas was dissatisfied with those areas even before the team lost its first two games, including a 34-point rout by Boston in the home opener.

Team officials recently asked Wilkens to move Helm behind the bench, but Wilkens refused.

A coaching veteran with 40 years of experience, Helm had been a member of Wilkens's staff with Seattle, Cleveland, Atlanta and Toronto.

Sunday's practice was Helm's last. Wilkens said Helm would occasionally work with the team as a consultant, but the details of that arrangement have yet to be worked out.

Reached by telephone Monday afternoon, Helm declined to comment, saying questions should be directed to Thomas.

"I will let Lenny and Isiah be the spokesmen for me," Helm said.

A team spokesman said Thomas would not be available.

It is expected that Suhr will assume responsibility for game management and become the lead assistant. Wilkens said a specific role had not been discussed.

"Hopefully, Brendan will fill that for me," Wilkens said. "But Dick and I have been together for a long time."

An assistant on the Detroit Pistons' championship teams in 1989 and 1990, Suhr is by far the most seasoned member of Wilkens's staff. Each of the others, Herb Williams, Mark Aguirre and Michael Malone, has less than three years of experience on an N.B.A. staff.

Helm's departure also leaves Wilkens with a staff constructed by others. Suhr and Aguirre, a former Piston, were brought in by Thomas, as was George Glymph, a part-time assistant. Williams and Malone are holdovers from previous Knicks staffs - Williams was hired by Don Chaney, Malone by Jeff Van Gundy.

"I've known Brendan a long time," Wilkens said. "He's like Dick. He's knowledgeable, he's been in this game, he understands talent, he teaches, he does all the same things."

Suhr had been based in Orlando, Fla., and had not been around the team since early October, when he attended training camp in Charleston, S.C.

When he showed up Monday morning, and Helm did not, it caught players by surprise. Players were not offered an explanation.

"He was like his right-hand assistant coach," said Jerome Williams, who also played under Wilkens and Helm in Toronto.

"He always did a good job coming to work every day, really kept the players upbeat. I'm sorry to see him go, definitely."

Two players who were asked to speculate about the change declined. They offered shrugs and stares and, in one case, a knowing smile and a raised eyebrow. The move looked like a warning shot, and was treated as such.

The Knicks are already on precarious ground. They have two more home games this week - against Philadelphia Tuesday night and against the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday - before they embark on a four-game trip beginning Saturday that features games at Indiana, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston.

It would be awkward, to say the least, for a team with a $100 million payroll to come home with an 0-8 record. But no one is thinking that way just yet.

"It's a marathon, I'm not worried about it," said Jamal Crawford, who added that the Knicks had two "really competitive" days of practice after Saturday's debacle. "The good thing about it is, there's always another game."

REBOUNDS

Penny Hardaway sat out practice again to rest a sore hamstring. He plans to test it Tuesday at the morning shoot-around before deciding whether to play against Philadelphia.

Caseloads
11/9/2004  12:09 AM
I loved several lines from the article - drop dead hilarious

several quotes straight from the times article:

1) "Hopefully, Brendan will fill that for me," Wilkens said. "But Dick and I have been together for a long time."

2) "I've known Brendan a long time," Wilkens said. "He's like Dick. He's knowledgeable, he's been in this game, he understands talent, he teaches, he does all the same things."

Am I the only one that finds this totally funny?
Rich
USA
11/9/2004  1:00 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix1109,0,1223642.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Timing pattern is off
A longtime associate of Isiah, Suhr, replaces Helm as assistant, but Wilkens says 0-2 start has nothing to do with it

BY ANTHONY RIEBER
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

November 9, 2004

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- It was either a Machiavellian move by Knicks president Isiah Thomas or the kind of coincidental timing that keeps mystery novelists employed.

Coming off the worst home- opening loss in club history, the Knicks announced yesterday that assistant coach Dick Helm -- coach Lenny Wilkens' longtime righthand man -- would be leaving his post immediately.

His replacement? Knicks director of pro player personnel Brendan Suhr -- Thomas' longtime righthand man.

If Thomas was involved, the moves can be interpreted as a warning shot across Wilkens' bow. Thomas has not been known for patience during his 9½-month tenure as the Knicks' principal decision-maker. Having his top lieutenant sitting next to Wilkens on the bench can't be seen as a vote of confidence.

Watching from his customary spot in the tunnel during Saturday's 107-73 loss to the Celtics, Thomas no doubt felt the embarrassment of the team and coach he hand-picked failing miserably on the first big stage of the season. He had promised New York an exciting, hard-working team and instead presented it with one that got blown out by a mediocre club in front of a sellout crowd that included Cablevision CEO James Dolan, the Knicks' owner.

Thomas declined interview requests yesterday. A Knicks spokesman called the coaching change "Coach Wilkens' .decision."

Wilkens gave a different explanation for Helm's sudden departure after yesterday's practice at the MSG Training Center.

"He had some personal things that he wants to do right now," Wilkens said of Helm, 71, an assistant under Wilkens on five clubs, starting with the Seattle SuperSonics in 1984-'85.

"He just doesn't feel like he can focus on . This is something he wanted to do and I respect that. He came, we talked about it and then he went and talked with Isiah."

Asked if the change had anything to do with Saturday's defeat or the Knicks' 0-2 start, or if Thomas had any input, Wilkens said: "It had nothing to do with it. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing to do with it."

Suhr, 53, has a history with Thomas that stretches back to 1989, when he was an assistant coach under Chuck Daly and Thomas was the point guard for the NBA champion Pistons. Suhr also ran the Continental Basketball Association when Thomas owned it, a .venture that ended with the league in bankruptcy.

Suhr joined the Knicks in an undefined scouting role in .February and was named director of pro player personnel over the summer. He donned the sweat pants and zipper top of an assistant coach for the first time yesterday as Wilkens put the Knicks through a three-hour session in anticipation of tonight's home game against Philadelphia.

"I've known Brendan a long time," Wilkens said. "He's like Dick. He's knowledgeable, he's been in this game, he understands talent, he teaches. He does all the same things."

Wilkens said the specifics of Suhr's role were to be determined. "He and I will sit and talk about that," he said. Suhr declined an interview request.

Suhr has never been a head coach in the NBA, but he could be a candidate if Thomas decides to fire Wilkens but doesn't want the job himself. Or he could become Thomas' top assistant.

Either way, Wilkens likely will have a short leash if the Knicks don't play respectable ball during their tough early schedule.

After home games tonight and Friday against the Clippers, an Indiana-San Antonio-Houston-Dallas trip looms. Tonight might be the first must-win third game in NBA history, which is why Wilkens put the Knicks through an extended practice yesterday.

"Our energy was much better," he said. "I think everybody was down after that last loss because I didn't like the way we played . . . We prepared them, they knew exactly what to expect, and you can't get excited about playing your home opener? I don't understand that. Hopefully, we learned from that and we move on."

Stephon Marbury, who will be matched against Allen Iverson tonight, said he thought the Knicks had learned. But he didn't sound like a coaching change would have much of an effect unless it's the top man.

"What coaching change?" Marbury said before being reminded. "It's an assistant coach. A head coach is something else."

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc.
Rich
USA
11/9/2004  2:53 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/31873.htm

EXERCISE IN DISLOYALTY

PETER VECSEY

November 9, 2004 -- LENNY Wilkens was last seen late yesterday Krazy Gluing himself into his lawn chair on the Garden floor for tonight's game against the 76ers and for the little activity that appears to remain on his three-year, $5.75 million per guaranteed contract.

After two games, both losses, the most recent a 34-point home humdinger to the Celtics, who were fresh from two straight demoralizing defeats in Boston, Wilkens' long-time loyalist, Dick (no longer at the) Helm, was replaced on the bench by personnel director Brendan Suhr, among the all-time league leaders in disloyalty.

The Knicks' official position is Helm — Wilkens' only non force-fed assistant — has pressing personal matters to address. Those in the know maintain he was fired, same as he was in Atlanta and Toronto when it finally dawned on the dead that Helm had less than Lenny to contribute.

Believe what you want, but I suggest you go with your gut and rely on good old-fashioned intuition if interested in putting a trace on the truth. Better yet, trust your eyes. Instincts may not be an exact science but seeing is believing. From this game forward, until Wilkens is waxed and permanently reassigned to a museum, he'll have Suhr coaching alongside him and Tex Winter, er, Mark Aguirre behind him; how bad must he feel not to get upgraded to first class?

Both assistants are beholden to Isiah Thomas. Neither would be in the NBA if it weren't for him (naturally, that also goes for Wilkens, as well as the majority of the staff). Not that being indebted to him assures a pledge of allegiance. Not that it even matters. In Suhr's case, it's definitely to the contrary.

Suhr, I can speak from first hand knowledge, has made a career out of subverting coaches and people who've given him jobs, chances and support. Hubie Brown was the first to experience his unfaithfulness. Despite the fact Brown gave Brendan entrée into the league as his Hawks assistant, Suhr constantly badmouthed Hubie behind his back; Brown stopped talking to him years ago.

Suhr's back-stabbing and betrayal has shadowed him almost everywhere he's gone, the lone exception being his tours under Chuck Daly with the Pistons, Nets, and Magic. His last pit stop in Detroit lasted only a matter of months in 2000 before Joe Dumars, who never utters a disparaging word about anybody, severed their relationship when Suhr allegedly undercut head coach George Irvine.

Thomas hired Suhr as his right hand man when he bought the CBA. They were supposed to link up again when Thomas got the Pacers' coaching job. That's when Suhr accepted the player personnel job under Dumars. Thomas found out he'd been deserted during a ceremonial visit to the Palace when he accidentally ran into Suhr in the press room.

Clearly, Thomas is just as likely to reward a friend or an associate regardless of fidelity. His motto must be: "How are you gonna undermine me if you're not working for me?"

At any rate, the bottom line is, as of yesterday, Don Chaney has more job security than Wilkens. That'd make anybody trying to hold on solder themselves into their seat.

Never again will we see Wilkens stand for the national anthem (the artist formerly known as Chris Jackson has been hired to rise in his place), or shout instructions, or huddle with players away from the sanctuary of the bench. One false move and Lenny's liable to be unseated in more ways than one.

For the time being only the appearance of what passes for Wilkens' authority has been commandeered. For the time being that'll have to suffice.

At this untimely juncture, firing Wilkens might be right for the Knicks but thunderously wrong for Thomas.

Bouncing Wilkens wouldn't exactly inspire confidence in Camp Cablevision to allow Thomas to keep his giant allowance. Wouldn't exactly look good on his management resume. Not after all the smoke he's blown up Lenny's carbonator. Not after the fusillade of shimmering compliments he's bestowed on Lenny since importing him from his home in Seattle at the midway point last season:

"Always my first choice; a great fit; forget more about basketball than most coaches will ever know; Hall of Fame this, Hall of Fame that . . . "

No, if Thomas vaporized Wilkens now—or even dumped him later on this season—it would be an overt admission of gross incompetence.

Surrounding him with his boys is his only way out. And if that doesn't do the trick I guess he can always hire NBC and the Arizona Diamondbacks to do a Lenny background check.

Who will succeed Wilkens, you ask? Whoever does the best job of screwing over Thomas. So far, Butch Carter is the prohibitive favorite.

Copyright 2004 NYP Holdings, Inc.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/9/2004  9:36 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

martin/andrew - why are you editing these posts - i think that this is some humor that knick fans need to be able to laugh about...

come on... Knicks, now without Dick!

yeah, sorry, little slip of the finger. I kept hitting delete instead of reply.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/9/2004  10:27 AM
Come on Isiah, Give Lenny Dick....

LOL!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist after reading the title of the thread....

Dick got burned, lol....Actually you could also say Dick got jerked.

Maybe he's too old to keep up. A lymp Dick of sorts, lol.

Well maybe Dick sohuld contact the Nets for his next gig. Hom and Jefferson would be to Dicks in the locker room getting in the heads of all the players.

Well after all these years Lenny......no more Dick.

Lenny must have been hurt by Dick. LEnny needed to let Dick go anyway. It's to hard to keep him up and excited most of the time.

Dick has been in Lenny's life for a long time......It's gonna be tough to finish his career without Dick.

Maybe Dick wasn't Strong enough.......Maybe Isiah figured the Knicks need a hard Dick......the Dick he saw probably was too soft.

I never talked this much about Dick before. Maybe I have a little soft spot for Dick.

Bye Dick we'll Miss you!!!!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
dick forced out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy