[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Lenny is no defensive minded coach.....
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
11/8/2004  11:19 PM
It takes a coach with a strong presence to teach Defense. Lenny is too mild manor to try to push nuckle heads like TT, Marburry, and Crawff to become good defenders. For Lenny's defensive scheme to be effective, JYD must be on the court. Reason for that is because JYD doesn't need anyone to tell him to dive on the hardwood or husslte. With him on the court all Lenny has to do is just keep on doing what he has been doing so far. When the starting is: Marb, Crawff, TT, Kurt, and Naser, you might as well forget about playing defense. However, if Lenny incorporate JYD in the starting lineup, the players will be on throughout the night. Here is a suggestion for Lenny: forget about Naser for now. He has already proved that he is not yet ready, therfore switch the starting squad. My starting lineup would be as follow: Marb, Crawf, TT, JYD, AND Kurt as Center. It is imperative to have a defensive minded player on the court at all time. whether it is Ariza at the 3, or JYD at the 4, because we can't count on Marburry to try to do it all, that is not part of his game.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/9/2004  6:24 AM
Kurt as Center.

I like that idea...but weren't you preaching against a smaller lineup with Kurt at C earlier?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/9/2004  7:57 AM
Yes, but my main goal as a Knickebocker is to see my team win games. What we have right now at the front-court is pittiful. The commitment to Naser is a mistake, I think that it is time to experiment with a lineup that will be productive. I know that it is early in the game, but look for Lenny to lose his job for poor judgment and lack of creativity. I can understand if he didn't know what the problems are and what to do to correct them, but he does. He talks about it very often, I.E. using a smaller front-court, but has yet to use it.

Posted by MaTT4281:
Kurt as Center.

I like that idea...but weren't you preaching against a smaller lineup with Kurt at C earlier?
The true Knickabocker..........
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/9/2004  9:48 AM
And who picked the coach? And who put together a team that doesn't have a clue when it comes to defense?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/9/2004  10:10 AM
The Knicks do worse with KT at center than they do when Vin and Nazr are in the game. It doesn't work when KT is playing center it never worked. You guys are so into individual stats that you forgot that the KNicks didn't have a winning record even when KT was a center. The best team that the Knicks can put out there is their best defensive team. If that means putting JYD and Ariza out there they should do it. I'm willing to sacrifice some offense for defense. And the way TT is playing it looks like Ariza just might be an upgrade at the position both defensively and offensively. As for KT never been a fan of KT but he is a bench player it would be wise to get Sweetney his minutes. I mean the Magic are going with Howard at PF the Bobcats have Okafor going why can't the kNicks start a second year man Sweetney he is ready and has been since the end of last year. The notion that Isiah can trade KT is plain stupid he tried all off season and most of last season and found out he is more untradeable than Spoon. I'm willing to go into a game with a starting lineup of. Ariza, Sweetney, JYD, Crawford and Marbury with TT and KT coming off the bench it give the team more balance offensively and defensively.

[Edited by - Vmart on 11/09/2004 10:26:58]
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/9/2004  10:24 AM
thats funny... I seem to remember Lenny's Hawks being on of the best defensive teams in the NBA every year.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/9/2004  10:30 AM
Posted by fishmike:

thats funny... I seem to remember Lenny's Hawks being on of the best defensive teams in the NBA every year.

Your right I remember they were pretty good. Guess what they had that made them a good defensive team. They had Tree Rollins who was 7'2'' and Willis 7'. Now thats a big team isn't it. They also had Doc River who was a very good defensive guard and Wilkins who was one of the better defensive players. One thing though about those Hawks teams was their effort level was high. The players weren't castoff form other teams like they have now. Lenny is stuck with career underachievers.

[Edited by - Vmart on 11/09/2004 10:30:41]
Bippity10
Member: #574
11/9/2004  5:08 PM
Lenny's teams have normally finished in the top 10 in defense no matter where he's been. Unfortunately the team he has at his disposal is not a defensive squad. Tim Thomas, Nazr, Crawford, Baker, Marbury have never at any point been known as defensive players. As a matter of fact, most of that list have been thought of as poor defenders. I am a Lenny critic but I can't blame him for this defense. We don't have anyone on this roster that is devoted to defense. If we brought in Artest, Kenyon Martin and Kirilenko magically Wilkens would turn into a defensive genius.

In summary: We need better players.
I just hope that people will like me
fishmike
USA
11/9/2004  5:21 PM
genious post... This Bip guy CLEARLY knows his hoops. Probably a big Duke fan also.

...and I see us getting better players, because thats what Isiah has done so far. He's upgraded pretty much every position and added young guys to boot.
Bippity10
11/9/2004  11:36 PM
Go Bluedevi...............blecccccccchhhhhhhhh

Fish, you are correct, I am a genious
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/10/2004  2:25 AM
Rashad Anderson and Josh Boon are almost as overrated as Tim Duncan. Losers.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bippity10
11/10/2004  12:34 PM
Allanfan: Remember the name Rudy Gay..........Duke sucks

Back to the orginal post, I think Lenny is a solid coach but he may be mismatched for the players that we have. There is nothing wrong with a mild mannered coach. There is no coaching style that wins more than another. Unfortunately the roster we have is a group of guys that constantly need a kick in the pants. Lenny is doing a good job of benching the vets(TT) when they are doing nothing, but is that enough? Time will tell. For me it's way to early to judge Lenny.
fishmike
USA
11/10/2004  1:07 PM
add Baker to that list, but I agree... way to early to tell. I just hope no panic decisions are made. Lenny's a cool cat and knows his stuff. I think Lenny is a good coach for Marbury also. I have no doubt the next coach will be Aguire if anyone, and thats not a bad choice.
Lenny is no defensive minded coach.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy