[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

If we work with what we got
Author Thread
playa2
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #407

11/8/2004  2:50 PM
We should have Rick Pitno as the coach and not Lenny. This roster as is can compete in the NBA, but at the same time must play to it's strengths. With the athletic guard duo of marb and crawford, this team should never let teams set up on the offensive end of the court, we should make them struggle to get into their half court sets. Since our weakness happens to be on the defensive end, a full court press will do two things. #1 CREATE MORE TURNOVERS and take time off the shot clock so teams will play at at a unfamiliar pace, #2 Allow Nazr to guard our basket and become an enforcer, so even if the initial press breaks down he can be aggressive on defense. If Nazr's gonna pick up silly fouls anyway, let it be the kind that sends a message(being physical) to guys who come strolling down the lane looking for an easy layup. Mark Aquirre is chomping at the bit to coach this team the way Zeke's wants to play. STAY TUNE
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/8/2004  3:06 PM
well, I agree with you here. Full court pressing IS in order.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
11/8/2004  3:11 PM
I also agree. Lenny really has to make them use their athleticism on the defensive end as well as the offensive end. Players today seem to forget that defense wins championships even though Detroit showed that several months ago in the Finals. Pressing more would definitely fit into the fast break team that we are trying to create.

[Edited by - s3231 on 11/08/2004 15:13:22]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/8/2004  3:23 PM
I like the full court press because, steph, ariza and crawford all play the passing lanes well, I mean good defense is limiting the amount of shots or good looks a team gets, so IMO a steal is just as good as a block...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/8/2004  3:37 PM
Good post. I'm agreeing with you on this, as does everyone else, or so it seems.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
11/8/2004  3:40 PM
Definitely, I touched on this in preseason. Brewer is especially good at hawking the ball, why he isn't getting time over Norris is perplexing.

Putting in Brewer, Anderson (I know nobody likes him, but he'd be good at pressing), and Ariza as the 1-2-3 2nd unit that pressed the other team would, in my opinion, be extremely succesful.
#Knickstaps
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
11/8/2004  4:21 PM
Brewer is on the IL. That's probably why he isn't getting playing time. A whole lot of use he is there.
RonRon
Member: #246
11/8/2004  4:25 PM
i agree they should but our frontcourt players dont seem too athletic and great to do it. We can move thomos to pf but he carely grab rebounds at SF i surely dont know about PF. If only we can get swift and kwame or something
playa2

11/8/2004  4:42 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Definitely, I touched on this in preseason. Brewer is especially good at hawking the ball, why he isn't getting time over Norris is perplexing.

Putting in Brewer, Anderson (I know nobody likes him, but he'd be good at pressing), and Ariza as the 1-2-3 2nd unit that pressed the other team would, in my opinion, be extremely succesful.

Yea Bigsmooth, I like the idea of Brewer+ Anderson being apart of the attack squad too, but Lenny is not the coach to impliment this style. Lenny will be gone before you know it if we keep losing. Zeke only hired Wilkens because we needed someone with credibility(HOF- MOST WINNINGEST COACH) after Chaney debacle to show fans we were going in a different direction. Lenny was never the long term solution.
JAMES DOLAN on Isiah : He's a good friend of mine and of the organization and I will continue to solicit his views. He will always have strong ties to me and the team.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

11/8/2004  5:01 PM
agreed
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/8/2004  5:31 PM
wow I totally agree with you Playa. Rick would be perfect but isn't he coaching Louisville right now? Maybe in the offseason
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/8/2004  6:02 PM
press and trap works to a degree, but you cant base your whole schmeal on it. we need to change the complexity of the frontline in the offseason-that is really answer #1. if we end up in the lottery this year, i could care less. either you are in it to win it or you are not. we'll know more in 40 games or so.
RIP Crushalot😞
playa2

11/8/2004  7:17 PM
Oh no I'm not saying trap and press the whole game, you do it enough to get easy buckets and get your team to play passionate defense and play with more confidence and at the same time keep the opposing teams off balanced.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/8/2004  7:29 PM
Rick coaching the Knicks again...

We would have a brand new Bomb Squad featuring Steph, Craw and Allan.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/8/2004  9:14 PM
OK, Here is ONE THING wrong with pressing.

I would preface this by saying that I don't watch too many pressing and trapping teams, but I think you need a center who can swat shots and guard the basket as a last resort. This would work if you had a Hakeen or Ewing or Shaq standing backcourt while your fast and furious guys get after the ball, but the knicks only have Kurt and foul machine Nazr to leave one-on-one as the last man in your defense. Just doesn't work. I think the Knicks have the front line guards to press, but not the Center to anchor it.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/8/2004  9:24 PM
Thats why Patino's best seasons came with Ewing. Boston pretty much exposed him as a college coach only. Pressin gtakes a heavy toll on the players. An 82 game season of Pressing is a too much on the players.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/8/2004  9:25 PM
the reason pressing as a philosophy doesnt work in the NBA is most players are skilled enough to handle the ball. Even poor ball handling teams have at least 2-3 on the floor.

The press only works in situations. Force a turnover here or there. Do it for a game at the NBA level and your transition d will get killed. There is a reason nobody runs the press at this level. It doesnt work.

This is why fans and media could never be a GM. This team has talent and panicking after 2 games is silly.

Last year the Heat started something like 4-12, most wrote them off as one of the worst teams in the league. Their whole frontcourt had no depth and was playing out of position and Riles and SVG were patient... eventually they gelled (the schedule helps) they won something like 18 of 21 and actually had home court in the first round.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/8/2004  11:57 PM
Posted by Vmart:

Thats why Patino's best seasons came with Ewing. Boston pretty much exposed him as a college coach only. Pressin gtakes a heavy toll on the players. An 82 game season of Pressing is a too much on the players.

The problem I see is that you are also coaching younger college Kids if you press all game every game...there are alot of older players in the NBA....I don't think you need to press the whole game, but throw it in there every once in a while......average maybe every 3 or 4 possessions...The Celtics did this every defensive stand....that is too much, and it is also a reason why he wasn't successful. Pitino had alot of young inexperienced players....That's how he built his team....the press is very hard to use all the time in the NBA....

~You can't run from who you are.~
If we work with what we got

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy