[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What about starting Ariza for defensive purposes?
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/7/2004  11:20 PM
Cut his minutes if he struggles but don't take him out of the lineup b/c of a 3 game slump.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/8/2004  9:18 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

maybe moving TT back to the bench will light a fire under his arse. Ariza is the best wing defender by FAR. He gets into passing lanes and makes things happen.
Ariza is part of Isiah's long-term rebuilding plans, which would include not giving him enough playing time to get an offer for more than the MLE this summer. Keeping him on the team for many years is more important than winning right now, Briggs. You gotta look more at the long-term picture.

WHAT? Let me tell you a fact. If ariza was playing like Luol Deng, he'd be getting 45 minutes night, EVERY night. Do you think one person in the Knick organization is fretting ariza's contract situation 2 years from now? Isiah wants and EXPECTS to win 45+ games and the Atlantic division RIGHT NOW. You dont spend over 200MM$ on salaries to try and lose to keep a 2nd round pick happy 2 years from now! this is a WIN now team, this whole thing about rebuilding is a fantasy--look at OUr roster--its full of long -tenured veteran players with a dash of young guys. Its no different from years past.

I dont know how many guys were old enough to remember, but we basically did a rebuild/retool type scenario in 1996 where we had 3 first round picks, had cap room for allan houston and chris childs[who were both the same age as crawford] and we pieced them in with what we had. but make no mistake--there was never a year where they didnt want to win every single game they could.

when you spend in a business the kind of money they are spending, the bottom line is net results. there is no blanket of *rebuilding* there its a bottom line of winning and keeping fans happy--do you think we would spend all of this money to try and not win?

if ariza could help the knicks win one more game this year by playing 30 minutes, hed be on the floor. hey im excited about trevor, but he is a a very slim piece of the meatball pie.
It's not 2 years, Brigg's; the Knicks can exercise their option on Ariza's contract in 8 months

Keep him down so we can resign him in two years?

I'll give you credit on that one, at least you stuck your neck out on that one. It was a bold theory suggestion. Kinda stagnate his progression, then sign him to like a MLE when he really does not deserve, then unleash him as the next great thing.

Sounds like a movie studio antics back in the 1930s.

"brilliant" as they say in the beer commercial.

We can also taint his water bottle so he will test positive for drugs or steroids. Nobody would touch him. or, we can hire Tank Black as our negotiater and dangle him by his ankles from ten stories up and remind him of what happened to his brother? I bet that would set him back!

Bizzy211
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #601
USA
11/8/2004  9:28 AM
"hire Tank Black as our negotiater and dangle him by his ankles from ten stories up and remind him of what happened to his brother? I bet that would set him back!"

That was just wrong Nalod.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/8/2004  11:30 AM
Briggs I well remember the knicks from 1996 as well as the knicks from 1986... And that team was not similar, Childs and Houston were a bit older than crawford, especially childs, and the knicks were a veteran team, thost picks back then with the exception of wallace wee not counted on at all to do anything, Mccarty was a bench player at best and Dontae Jones was a bust on and off the court..

This knicks team is different, when you look at crawford,TT, nazr, steph, and you throw in ariza and Sweetney who are being counted on now to produce, you have 6 guys, that is half of your team that averages 24.3 years of age... This is rebuilding or retooling or however you want to label this, I mean you don't have to have a team of 18 year old kids to say you are rebuilding...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
USA
11/8/2004  12:40 PM
Posted by Bizzy211:

"hire Tank Black as our negotiater and dangle him by his ankles from ten stories up and remind him of what happened to his brother? I bet that would set him back!"

That was just wrong Nalod.

Of course it was wrong, and I mean no harm only to offer a suggetion just how wrong it would be to hold a kid back because we fear he may leave us for more money.

What next, disfigure your girlfriend so she won't leave her? Beat down a childs self esteem so they won't leave the nest?

Keeping a player down for that reason is not only stupid, but certainly not an ethical thing to do.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/8/2004  6:09 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Ariza is part of Isiah's long-term rebuilding plans, which would include not giving him enough playing time to get an offer for more than the MLE this summer. Keeping him on the team for many years is more important than winning right now, Briggs. You gotta look more at the long-term picture.

I seriously seriously doubt that Isiah is going to dictate Ariza's minutes this year based on attempting to manipulate future offers from other clubs.

agreed. Why not just offer him an extension now, if its such a concern?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/8/2004  7:01 PM
Posted by Panos:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

I seriously seriously doubt that Isiah is going to dictate Ariza's minutes this year based on attempting to manipulate future offers from other clubs.

Because the Knicks can't. All they could do is offer him a 10% annual increase, which is pennies.
Nalod
USA
11/8/2004  8:39 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Panos:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

WWTD?

Because the Knicks can't. All they could do is offer him a 10% annual increase, which is pennies.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/9/2004  10:01 AM
we werent in position to rebuild. we had contracts that would have prevented any glimpse of cap space for 3-4 years and enough barely tradeable players to ensure our draft picks would never be in the top 8. So they tried to make the team better and younger and still add young players along the way.

When was the last time a 19, 22 and 24 year olds were part of the rotation?

Geeze... 2 games and people are all over the panic button.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/9/2004  11:04 AM
Posted by fishmike:

we werent in position to rebuild. we had contracts that would have prevented any glimpse of cap space for 3-4 years and enough barely tradeable players to ensure our draft picks would never be in the top 8. So they tried to make the team better and younger and still add young players along the way.

When was the last time a 19, 22 and 24 year olds were part of the rotation?

Geeze... 2 games and people are all over the panic button.

panic? dude, i saw you at the continental airlines gymnasium looking to buy a season ticket plan.

I dont know how many guys were old enough to remember, but we basically did a rebuild/retool type scenario in 1996 where we had 3 first round picks, had cap room for allan houston and chris childs[who were both the same age as crawford] and we pieced them in with what we had. but make no mistake--there was never a year where they didnt want to win every single game they could.

3 picks - john wallace, walter mcarty, and john thomas - what a waste of 3 draft picks. i can't believe how the knicks use to think draft picks were useless. i was very impressed on how they went after allan houston instead of reggie miller then. signing reggie would've definitely said we're going for broke, but picking up h20 meant they were also looking at the long term. that was the first time they did that in the 90's.
What about starting Ariza for defensive purposes?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy